• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

I feel like with North Korea you won't get nearly as many people who would lose out in the new regime such that you'd see an insurgency launched. There are very few people in the country whose lives would not improve under basically any possible government who would intervene there (whether South Korea, or an American, Chinese, or Russian occupation).

A few generals and high-ranking apparatchiks and their families would rush the Swiss embassy and try to get shuttled out of the country, but most people would be glad for the change.

sphagnum

Banned
oh that trump

I feel like with North Korea you won't get nearly as many people who would lose out in the new regime such that you'd see an insurgency launched. There are very few people in the country whose lives would not improve under basically any possible government who would intervene there (whether South Korea, or an American, Chinese, or Russian occupation).

A few generals and high-ranking apparatchiks and their families would rush the Swiss embassy and try to get shuttled out of the country, but most people would be glad for the change.

You're not taking into account how many people might be genuinely brainwashed. How many that is though, I have no idea. We do know many North Koreans have an idea of what life is like outside due to working in China or watching smuggled K-dramas...

tuxfool

Banned

Would they? The country is pretty much brainwashed to a certain way of life.

Silicon Valley is stereotypically Libertarian, in that they're strongly pro-business and mostly full of shit on everything else.

edit: OH MY GOD THE PAPER TOWELS, THE SOFTEST, MOST LUXORIOUS PAPER TOWELS YOU'VE EVER SEEN

Even were this true it wouldn't change hope much of a genuine disaster that country is. Rebuilding it and bringing it into the modern world would be insanely expensive and something no one, not even South Korea hoping to unite the peninsula, really wants to take on.

sphagnum

Banned
The paper towels are so soft and so beautiful, they're just great. Really great. The people of Puerto Rico - and I love Puerto Rico, I've got a few properties down there, did you know it's an island? It's a big island, big beautiful island in a big, very big ocean, and that's why they have hurricanes and let me tell you this was a big one. It really socked em one, bigly. Gonna be a real pain on the budget, a real killer. And the people of Puerto Rico, you know, which is a very big and beautiful island but really owes us quite a lot of money, they've got a big problem to deal with and I've handled it really well. You won't believe how well people are saying I've handled it. They're saying I've handled it so well, like you've never seen. It is really a miracle how well we've done there, you might say, and the people of Puerto Rico don't believe the fake news media, because they know how soft and beautiful these paper towels are. But I don't want to fix broken things in Puerto Rico, I want to focus on Little Rocket Man.

I'm legit worried Trump is going to incite a war. What's the best case scenario in case a war happens? Calm me down, GAF :(

(it doesn't help that on FB there are plenty of lunatics supporting a war)

Ogodei

Would they? The country is pretty much brainwashed to a certain way of life.

It's a studied phenomenon called Preference Falsification. Much of the support for th eregime comes from the belief that support for the regime is near-universal. It explains how rapidly public opinion can invert.

The Soviet Union had an issue with babushkas who were genuinely Stalinist, but that was pretty much contained among the elderly set who had lived through World War II.

sphagnum

Banned
I'm legit worried Trump is going to incite a war. What's the best case scenario in case a war happens? Calm me down, GAF :(

(it doesn't help that on FB there are plenty of lunatics supporting a war)

North Korea probably doesn't have too many nukes that can actuslly hit the US or its possessions. I guess that's a positive?

sphagnum

Banned
Likelihood nukes will be triggered from other countries? That's probably my other major concern.

I don't know why China would hurl a nuke at the US unless we accidentally nuked them. China's policy seems to be to stay out if Kim instigates it and get involved if it looks like the US is seeking to overthrow the dynasty completely.

tuxfool

Banned
It's a studied phenomenon called Preference Falsification. Much of the support for th eregime comes from the belief that support for the regime is near-universal. It explains how rapidly public opinion can invert.

The Soviet Union had an issue with babushkas who were genuinely Stalinist, but that was pretty much contained among the elderly set who had lived through World War II.

I'd argue that the Soviet Union was far less totalitarian in terms of public opinion, partially because it had massive diversity in population and nations. The same cannot be said of NK.

Zolo

I hope Trump lives long enough to see the Republican party turn on him the moment he's used against them in future elections.

Ogodei

I hope Trump lives long enough to see the Republican party turn on him the moment he's used against them in future elections.

I wonder if they'll be able to memory-hole him like Bush. He *is* the base now, even if less enthusiastic supporters might be soft on him.

To my knowledge, most of the NK brainwashing is incredibly soft. People there largely know what the world is actually like. The issue with NK regime change has never really been the public there, but the fact that NK could level Seoul within an hour or so before the siege could be ended. The Korean peninsula has been a drawn-out hostage situation.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they'll be able to memory-hole him like Bush. He *is* the base now, even if less enthusiastic supporters might be soft on him.

Difference is that Bush was self aware and loyal enough to know to disappear while the party disowns him.

I wonder if trump could endorse a nominee that tries to disown him while Trump's legacy crumbles around him, even as a lesser of two evils thing.

Trump: "This person was great. Gave me a lot of thanks and said I did a great job. Great person."

Trump: "This person said I was doing badly. Nasty person. Terrible, fake news."

Likelihood nukes will be triggered from other countries? That's probably my other major concern.

I don't know why China would hurl a nuke at the US unless we accidentally nuked them. China's policy seems to be to stay out if Kim instigates it and get involved if it looks like the US is seeking to overthrow the dynasty completely.

China is actually the only nuclear nation to have a codified "second strike" policy. Their official stance is to only use nuclear weapons if directly attacked with them first.

Whether they'd actually adhere to that or not is obviously an open question.

Nordicus

The difference is...

Unless Trump is in prison, or dies, he won't allow himself to be memory-holed. Petty, vindictive, narcissistic, and attention-seeking to the core, the moment Republicans try to tell people their party has somehow "moved past Trump", Trump will sabotage all of it in a day on Twitter.

FEMA Administrator Says San Juan Mayor’s Remarks Are ‘Political Noise’

Federal Emergency Management Agency Administrator Brock Long on Sunday said San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz’s remarks critical of the U.S. relief effort on Puerto Rico are just “political noise.”

“We filtered out the mayor a long time ago. We don’t have time for the political noise,” Long said on ABC News’ “This Week.” “The bottom line is, we are making progress every day in conjunction with the governor.”

Because why would you want to hear from the mayor of the largest city in Puerto Rico.

Words can't express how terrible I feel for the people of Puerto Rico. Republicans have allowed the mistake that happened 12 years ago to occur all over again and it's disgusting. At this point, I'm just hoping that a huge chunk of the population comes over to Florida and nudges it blue. It's the only way they can punish the people who berate them in a time of need.

DLnvQ4CUQAM-j2b.jpg:large

DLnxjdOUEAADL-B.jpg:large

DLnysk2UIAA9aUO.jpg:large

Matter of time really

Someone on DailyKos crunched the numbers - as of today there are only 31 US House districts where the Democrats don’t have a candidate formally running.

AL-01, GA-06, GA-14, ID-02, IN-03, KS-01, KY-05, LA-01, LA-04, LA-05, LA-06, MI-10, MS-03. MO-03, NE-03, NY-27, NC-03, NC-08, OH-06, OH-08, OK-01, OK-03, PA-08, SC-04, TN-06, TN-08, TX-04, UT-01, VA-09, WI-07, WY-AL

They point out how none of the Democratic incumbents in Wisconsin have challengers, while Wisconsin’s 7th is the only GOP-held seat with no Democrat running.

Obviously most of these are long-shot districts, so actually getting to 435 is more of a moral achievement than anything. Still, it’d be a sign of increased Dem enthusiasm, crucial to winning back the House.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Matter of time really

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that none of those things happened.

Also:

David Frum‏Verified account @davidfrum 21m21 minutes ago

David Frum Retweeted Donald J. Trump

That sure puts Corker in his place, and leaves him with only 15 1/2 months to exact revenge in a narrowly divided US Senate

Perhaps Corker's cryptic comment when announcing his retirement did actually have something to do with the Mueller investigation?

Holmes

Weird how GA-06 has no one running yet, but I figure there are things going on behind the scenes there. Maybe Ossoff wants to run again, maybe he's looking into actually moving into the district before announcing, I dunno. But that's one district Democrats shouldn't pass up on.

Democrats'll have candidates running in those districts soon enough. Finding 31 Bland White Man Handsome Jason Kander clones takes time, people.

The short term and long term damage this administration has done, is doing and will do in the future is gonna be something else. Every major institution in this country is going to be on shaky ground.
We need to start asking potential 2020 candidates how they're going to clean up all the tainted departments if they take office.

Holmes

Wow, there are already candidates announced in all four of Arkansas' districts? Last year there was just one, and three Republicans went unopposed. Even the Libertarian party ran a full slate in Arkansas last year!

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that none of those things happened.

Also:

Perhaps Corker's cryptic comment when announcing his retirement did actually have something to do with the Mueller investigation?
Possible, although Corker sinking Trump’s horrid tax plan would also be a worthy cause.

If Bob Corker offered to be Secretary of State and he chose Rex instead doesn’t that say a lot about how shit his judgement is? Not that I believe a single word of this.

Someone on DailyKos crunched the numbers - as of today there are only 31 US House districts where the Democrats don’t have a candidate formally running.

AL-01, GA-06, GA-14, ID-02, IN-03, KS-01, KY-05, LA-01, LA-04, LA-05, LA-06, MI-10, MS-03. MO-03, NE-03, NY-27, NC-03, NC-08, OH-06, OH-08, OK-01, OK-03, PA-08, SC-04, TN-06, TN-08, TX-04, UT-01, VA-09, WI-07, WY-AL

They point out how none of the Democratic incumbents in Wisconsin have challengers, while Wisconsin’s 7th is the only GOP-held seat with no Democrat running.

Obviously most of these are long-shot districts, so actually getting to 435 is more of a moral achievement than anything. Still, it’d be a sign of increased Dem enthusiasm, crucial to winning back the House.

I'm baffled we let Gregg Harper run unopposed ever when his district has parts of Jackson and all of Starkville in it. That should hopefully change next year.

If Bob Corker offered to be Secretary of State and he chose Rex instead doesn’t that say a lot about how shit his judgement is? Not that I believe a single word of this.
Yeah Corker would actually be a pretty decent SOS if it had to be a Republican.

So of course, out the window.

And like you said, probably a complete fabrication.

Goddamn.

Said it before but I can only imagine how frustrating things are for guys like Corker. Conservative, but still wanting to introduce new policy, spent eight years under Obama either acting as a blockade against most right-wing legislation or someone leadership refused to work with anything on even when there was common cause.

Then your party finally gains control of the House, Senate and presidency all at once, only for you to realize the House leadership is hilariously inept, the Senate leadership was massively overrated and the president is the biggest fucking moron to ever occupy the office, and none of these parties are invested in actually enacting any new ideas.

If I were Corker I’d want to hang it up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom