• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It’s clear it was pre-planned. Nobody would willingly watch Colts-49ers.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Were they already in Indianapolis or did he fly there with the express purpose to create drama?

Flew there from Vegas on the way to some dinner in another state. The whole thing was a stunt.

Someone on DailyKos crunched the numbers - as of today there are only 31 US House districts where the Democrats don’t have a candidate formally running.

AL-01, GA-06, GA-14, ID-02, IN-03, KS-01, KY-05, LA-01, LA-04, LA-05, LA-06, MI-10, MS-03. MO-03, NE-03, NY-27, NC-03, NC-08, OH-06, OH-08, OK-01, OK-03, PA-08, SC-04, TN-06, TN-08, TX-04, UT-01, VA-09, WI-07, WY-AL

They point out how none of the Democratic incumbents in Wisconsin have challengers, while Wisconsin’s 7th is the only GOP-held seat with no Democrat running.

Obviously most of these are long-shot districts, so actually getting to 435 is more of a moral achievement than anything. Still, it’d be a sign of increased Dem enthusiasm, crucial to winning back the House.
Hot take: every district deserves a real Dem and GOP candidate. People deserve a choice.

Also lol at no candidate in GA-06 IM GONNA ASSUME A CERTAIN SOMEONE IS GOING TO RUN

Hot take: every district deserves a real Dem and GOP candidate. People deserve a choice.

Also lol at no candidate in GA-06 IM GONNA ASSUME A CERTAIN SOMEONE IS GOING TO RUN
Hot take? Did you put that take in the microwave for theee minutes or something

And yeah those are just formal announcements. GA-6 is obviously going to get a candidate. Someone who will work his Oss off.

Plinko

Bill Kristol's response to Pence's tweet about leaving the football game:

Bill Kristol‏Verified account @BillKristol 4m4 minutes ago

Bill Kristol Retweeted Vice President Pence

If you're leaving any event featuring individuals who've disrespected our soldiers, you should walk out of the Oval Office when next there.

I hope this stunt blows up big time. It's clear this was trump's idea.

It will. Everything with him is getting the next five minutes of gratification, even when common sense dictates his actions will backfire as soon as they’re up. See this morning’s tweets.

Also if anyone is interesting in phonebanking today DM me and I can forward you the email I have to go to a drag brunch for my birthday

DTC

just convinced a woman to vote for ralph northam where is my paycheck Soros

just out of curiosity - what did you say?

also soros is a hell of a guy. he bought me a new car and a nude framed picture of himself (i didnt like this second gift very much at first but i've grown to like it).

just out of curiosity - what did you say?

also soros is a hell of a guy. he bought me a new car and a nude framed picture of himself (i didnt like this second gift very much at first but i've grown to like it).

She didn't know much about "the Democrat" but liked that he was a doctor and I talked about the Medicaid expansion. Helped that she did like Ed.

Also it was persuasion calls in a Trump district so that was nice.

chadskin

DLobLmeX4AIYvke.jpg

https://twitter.com/USEmbassyTurkey/status/917075367575384064

Turkey, of course, is a NATO ally. Yikes.

Turkey responds with a pretty familiar sounding statement ...

DLpI_EkXcAEpC8r.jpg

https://twitter.com/turkishembassy/status/917125729686564864

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus, no wonder no one wants to buy Twitter. The only thing it's good for is stoking petty fucking conflicts

Toth

Is it weird that every time I see Pence, I think of his doppelganger walking around the streets.

584affef120000dc00eee7ae.jpeg

Has twitter been a net negative or a net positive for society overall? Please discuss.

Social media in general has been a huge negative for this country. Yes, it exposes a lot of crappy people but it is now wayyyyyyyyyyyy too easy to spread hurtful and false information.

Mike M

Nick N
Hard to judge Twitter as anything but a net detriment.

But then again, I never saw any value in it to I begin with. If it didn't exist, the same content would be being posted on FB, just add it was before Twitter came along, only with the benefit of not suffering from the same stupid constraints that make posting text as images, Twitlonger, and tweet storms a thing.

Hard to judge Twitter as anything but a net detriment.

But then again, I never saw any value in it to I begin with. If it didn't exist, the same content would be being posted on FB, just add it was before Twitter came along, only with the benefit of not suffering from the same stupid constraints that make posting text as images, Twitlonger, and tweet storms a thing.

You say this as if FB isn't just as toxic.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
Has twitter been a net negative or a net positive for society overall? Please discuss.

It's been a good way for normal people to get news out that might not make it through the established media institutions like during the Arab Spring, or when Syria used chemical weapons on their own people.

But twitter's lack of action in regards to all of the trolls, racist and bots that have accounts there and all of the bullying and misinformation campaigns that run rampant on their platform pretty much makes it an absolute net negative for society. I wouldn't shed a tear to see it or Facebook go.

Vimes

I think twitter is a major reason we even hear a lot of PoC voices right now. I remember reading about the Ferguson protests on twitter for a full week before seeing it hit the front page of the NYT.

Also trans voices.

I think it's given a megaphone to a lot of people who sorely needed one.

Their curation is indefensible trash though.

Social media has had benefits as well as disadvantages and imo the benefits outweigh them. It has allowed people in dictatorships like Syria to organize and document warcrimes. It has allowed the world to see the massacres in Myanmar and many times meant life or death for people under these regimes.

But it also created bigger political bubbles and helped spread fake news like wildfire. Rightwingers became even more out of touch and their extreme conspiracies have achieved mainstream. Facebook is the worst. You can create an image with any nonsense on it and if tailored to the right audience you will get a million likes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Social media has had benefits as well as disadvantages and imo the benefits outweigh them. It has allowed people in dictatorships like Syria to organize and document warcrimes. It has allowed the world to see the massacres in Myanmar and many times meant life or death for people under these regimes.

But it also created bigger political bubbles and helped spread fake news like wildfire. Rightwingers became even more out of touch and their extreme conspiracies have achieved mainstream. Facebook is the worst. You can create an image with any nonsense on it and if tailored to the right audience you will get a million likes.

Social media has given marginalized voices a megaphone with which to speak with. Essentially it's both good and bad since it's been applied equally to both the oppressed and genocidal racists.

Naturally there's things to be done to combat the negatives, but no one in a position of power is willing to take any action for fear of losing money.

Kusagari

Social media has helped the stuff spread, but all of this was already happening beforehand.

It's the Internet in general. It's a pretty funny paradox. The Internet has allowed people to have all the information in the world at their fingertips. But it also allows them to find some site, some image, some post that validates any fucked up belief they had beforehand and they can use that to deflect or counter with when the truth is shown to them.

Ogodei

All twitter needs is three rules

1) No harassment (including inciting harassment among your followers). They probably have this rule they're just shit at enforcing it.
2) No bots unless you represent a group of individuals (okay to have a bot auto-tweet corporate press releases or announcements for civil society groups).
3) Advocacy of genocide or pro-genocide groups is an instant ban.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Regarding bots, wouldn’t blocking them from replying solve much of the problem?

Regarding bots, wouldn’t blocking them from replying solve much of the problem?
There needs to be phone number verification for Twitter accounts. That would stop the bots. I don't know how you could stop a bot from replying unless you implemented captchas, which is a pain for everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom