• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Why can't Trump do anything like a normal human being? Today praising the Coast Guard he has to take a shot at the media because of course he does, saying they wouldn't go into the winds like the Coast Guard heroes did. Everyone with two functioning brain cells to run together of course knows the media has been putting themselves in harms way since before this storm made landfall, including literally pulling people out of the water. Makes me want to look up his wedding toast with Melania to see if he used the opportunity to shit on his last wife.

And Trump if you ever encounter my children please do not pick them up and kiss them. A handshake or fist bump will do.

jtb

Banned
Why can't Trump do anything like a normal human being? Today praising the Coast Guard he has to take a shot at the media because of course he does, saying they wouldn't go into the winds like the Coast Guard heroes did. Everyone with two functioning brain cells to run together of course knows the media has been putting themselves in harms way since before this storm made landfall, including literally pulling people out of the water. Makes me want to look up his wedding toast with Melania to see if he used the opportunity to shit on his last wife.

And Trump if you ever encounter my child please do not pick them up and kiss them. A handshake or fist bump will do.

Trump has to be experiencing cognitive decline of some kind at this point. He's been a shameless huckster his entire career - he knows how to lie and say the right things for the cameras and troll for media attention, but he's moved into pure, unfiltered id territory at this point. He can't help himself. He can barely string one coherent sentence after another.

royalan

What is the NK endgame here? They want cash?

Why are we so confident in the presence of sense? Who says Kim Jong-un is operating under logical parameters? I mean, NK keeps marching right on along with their nuclear advancement and threats to their neighbors despite all attempts at deterrent, meanwhile we continue to move the goal post for them and argue why Of COURSE this makes sense and Of COURSE this is why they're doing this. I mean, under the current logic, eventually NK has to reach the point where they either stop or put their money where their mouth is.

I mean, the United States right now should have intimate understanding of what it's like to have a leader that has bought into their nation's extreme fascist dogma.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Trump has to be experiencing cognitive decline of some kind at this point. He's been a shameless huckster his entire career - he knows how to lie and say the right things for the cameras and troll for media attention, but he's moved into pure, unfiltered id territory at this point. He can't help himself. He can barely string one coherent sentence after another.

You know it's true that he's beyond "I just hate him" mental or cognitive problem. Even privately they should have him see someone. Too much at stake to let this run unchecked.

Why are we so confident in the presence of sense? Who says Kim Jong-un is operating under logical parameters? I mean, NK keeps marching right on along with their nuclear advancement and threats to their neighbors despite all attempts at deterrent, meanwhile we continue to move the goal post for them and argue why Of COURSE this makes sense and Of COURSE this is why they're doing this. I mean, under the current logic, eventually NK has to reach the point where they either stop or put their money where their mouth is.

I mean, the United States right now should have intimate understanding of what it's like to have a leader that has bought into their nation's extreme fascist dogma.
It's a Mexican Standoff where one has to pull the trigger or someone talks everyone down from it.

pigeon

Banned
As B-Dubs implies, there's no US initiated military solution. Additionally, a lot of reports out of North Korea suggest that the population have been essentially brainwashed against America (to a greater or lesser degree). This means offering amnesty in America is a nice idea, but a) probably wouldn't be taken up by all that many, and b) would require pretty intense vetting in order to ensure no-one slips through the net with a plan for a terrorist incident. Amnesty in a different region may work better, but God knows where - China or South Korea would be the obvious answer, but whether they would/could take that many is debatable.

I think the only real North Korean solution is a diplomatic one that creates a single-state with the South. Not only would that be "proper" in terms of history (let's remember that it's only been split since 1945, and has a long history of religion and culture as a single country), but it's also the solution that would have most support from the South. In a way, the US doesn't belong anywhere near Korean discussions, either on nuclear disarmament, or on unification, and I think actual discussions on some end-goal would be far better served by having an obviously non-partisan country involved as a facilitator, like Norway and the Oslo Accords for Israel/Palestine.

The primary goal of the North Korean leadership seems to be staying in power, so they're not going to agree to reunification unless it comes with a lot of wealth and perks for them.

The primary goal of the North Korean leadership seems to be staying in power, so they're not going to agree to reunification unless it comes with a lot of wealth and perks for them.

Yeah, without asylum, they'll all be killed. Either by whatever global power seizes them or by NK citizens.

Pixieking

Banned

And from a "there's no justice in the world" perspective, I would be opposed to that. But there really is no "good" solution here, just "less bad" solutions of varying degrees, so beggars can't be choosers. Diplomats and politicians ought to be laying the groundwork in the public discourse for an unappetising but non-military end-game, especially with the latest test.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And from a "there's no justice in the world" perspective, I would be opposed to that. But there really is no "good" solution here, just "less bad" solutions of varying degrees, so beggars can't be choosers. Diplomats and politicians ought to be laying the groundwork in the public discourse for an unappetising but non-military end-game, especially with the latest test.

That'd require us having competent leadership.

Pixieking

Banned
That'd require us having competent leadership.

Yeah... It's such a shame that Trump nominated Tillerson to SoS, and that Tillerson's run it into the ground. Even with Trump in power, a good "establishment" SoS who didn't cut back on rank-and-file staff could do a lot.

I really don't see how launching misiles over mainland Japan is consistent with rational acting. They don't need to do that to solidify themselves. They are just bring more pressure and daring to be targeted. China has their back if they are quiet. These tests are unnecessary and counter productive, because China won't continue to support them on their current tragectory. The more they launch the more of a chance there is they miss fire and end up causing an international incident. I'm not convinced they are at all acting purely in self preservation.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I really don't see how launching misiles over mainland Japan is consistent with rational acting. They don't need to do that to solidify themselves. They are just bring more pressure and daring to be targeted. China has their back if they are quiet. These tests are unnecessary and counter productive. I'm not convinced they are at all acting purely in self preservation.

They're likely trying to see what they'll be allowed to get away with and show that they aren't bluffing. It's fairly clear they have no respect for Trump. If you've ever been in a classroom where the students don't respect the teacher you'll understand the basic dynamic at play. They want to see how far they can go before the Dean notices what's going on and sticks his head in the room.

I really don't see how launching misiles over mainland Japan is consistent with rational acting. They don't need to do that to solidify themselves. They are just bring more pressure and daring to be targeted. China has their back if they are quiet. These tests are unnecessary and counter productive, because China won't continue to support them on their current tragectory. The more they launch the more of a chance there is they miss fire and end up causing an international incident. I'm not convinced they are at all acting purely in self preservation.
They're surrounded by enemies who are essentially doing the equivalent. Some military exercises are also classified so you don't necessarily hear about everything we're doing to provoke North Korea.

royalan

They're likely trying to see what they'll be allowed to get away with and show that they aren't bluffing. It's fairly clear they have no respect for Trump. If you've ever been in a classroom where the students don't respect the teacher you'll understand the basic dynamic at play. They want to see how far they can go before the Dean notices what's going on and sticks his head in the room.

I think what has everyone concerned is that nobody seems to want to make a move on what the real-world equivalent is to the part of your analogy I put in bold.

When does the Dean stick his head in the room? How far can they go?

I think what has everyone concerned is that nobody seems to want to make a move on what the real-world equivalent is to the part of your analogy I put in bold.

What exactly do you want to happen?

Slacker

Completely normal things a normal human being would say and do in a disaster situation:

* Visit twice in a matter of days because you forgot to look at the damage first-hand before talking about seeing it first-hand the first time.

* Pick up children and press your face on them.

* Say "what a great turnout" to people looking to you for leadership, not there to make you feel good.

* Write your stupid name on the wall of a hurricane shelter.

* Insult the media while praising the Coast Guard.

* Tell survivors they're famous now because they've been on the news (or because they were forced to interact with you).

* Tell survivors the hurricane has been a wonderful thing for the country to watch. This is doubly stupid after saying the media was too afraid to cover the hurricane.

* Leave a group of survivors with the parting words "Have a good time, everybody!"

* Bonus: Use exclamation marks on every. damn. tweet. "Going to Texas today to check out the devastation first hand! Yay looking forward to it!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

That's the problem. No one wants to be the Dean. No one even knows what sticking their head in the room would look like. Assassinating everyone and putting a pro-China or pro-Western general in charge?

From what I've read even if a general wanted to have a coup none of them know who they can trust to help them with it due to the sort of culture Un has bred among his high command. So it'd be impossible for us to know who to leave in charge in the first place.

An invasion is right out, Seoul would be done for. Real Chinese sanctions would probably have the same result after a while. I think NK are the only ones who might not realize there's all of shit we can do to them no matter what they decide to do, whether they have the bomb or not.

That's completely irrelevant. That I don't know the answer doesn't make the question any less valid. How far is too far?
There is nothing too far. North Korea is a nuclear capable nation and will be for the foreseeable future. We should learn to accept that. Everything will remain the same and that is how it should be.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
So its looking like North Korea successfully tested their new bomb. I wish I had some faith in our Executive Branch right now. I guess at least Tillerson and Kelly are both Sane Adults, which is something. Though Trump doesn't seem to really care about their opinions.

royalan

There is nothing too far. North Korea is a nuclear capable nation and will be for the foreseeable future. We should learn to accept that. Everything will remain the same and that is how it should be.

...and meanwhile NK will continue to fire missiles over the mainland of the neighbors it has spent literally decades threatening with destruction?

I may not know what the future of this escalating conflict looks like, but the idea that "everything will remain the same" is quickly becoming lunacy.

...and meanwhile NK will continue to fire missiles over the mainland of the neighbors it has spent literally decades threatening with destruction?

I may not know what the future of this escalating conflict looks like, but the idea that "everything will remain the same" is quickly becoming lunacy.
They're firing missiles over Japan because we're surrounding the peninsula and signalling that we want to strike them and depose of Kim Jung Un. Do you think they'd ever strike Japan? Why?

They're firing missiles over Japan because we're surrounding the peninsula and signalling that we want to strike them and depose of Kim Jung Un. Do you think they'd ever strike Japan? Why?

Yes, it would be illogical for NK to actually attack, but history is full of wars that were started because someone did some illogical shit. This new nuclear test isn't the problem in and of itself. The problem is that North Korea feels comfortable escalating things. We are getting closer and closer to the point where one bad decision could get a ton of people killed.

Maengun1

It's annoying as shit that Trump is even allowed to cut ACA advertising by 90%. Like, why should he be able to do that? It's the law governing our ENTIRE country's health care system. It's been upheld time and time again. Republicans controlling every branch of government just failed to change it. Advertise the fucking law to the full extent.

Way, way, way too much of our system relies on "well we're trusting you not to be an insane piece of shit here obviously."

This is all so stupid (our daily refrain I guess).

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Yes, it would be illogical for NK to actually attack, but history is full of wars that were started because someone did some illogical shit. This new nuclear test isn't the problem in and of itself. The problem is that North Korea feels comfortable escalating things. We are getting closer and closer to the point where one bad decision could get a ton of people killed.

It all depends on if we can expect rational acting from NK.

If not, it may be time to consider military action and take the risk to prevent worse from happening.

Edit:
Would be really nice to have someone with a brain making that decision right now :(

Also, Fuck China if some serious steps are not taken over the next couple of weeks.

Which wars? North Korea is not escalating because it's comfortable, it's escalating because it's uncomfortable. I think that's ok. The US generally needs to send a clear signal to North Korea that it is prepared to defend South Korea and North Korea generally needs to send a clear signal to the US that it is prepared to attack South Korea if the US tries to invade or strike Pyongyang. This is not an unreasonable assumption.

Personally I think we should hold a no prior conditions negotiation to try to get them to cease their ICBM program but continue to have nuclear weapons at their disposal. In return, we lift some sanctions. However I suspect that the Hawks in Washington like that the North continues its ICBM program because it increases the likelihood of foreign intervention and regime change, which is the ultimate goal of the US.

The other opinion I have is that we should offer to lift every sanction we have on North Korea in exchange for complete nuclear disarmament and arrange to have their defense taken care of by a Chinese military force. Notably, that means do not impose conditions related to their human rights abuses. The increase in economic prosperity is a fair trade for undermining the regime. But I suspect that the Kind already know that their people doing too well leads to instability, so maybe they wouldn't take that.

It all depends on if we can expect rational acting from NK.

If not, it may be time to consider military action and take the risk to prevent worse from happening.
I haven't seen any evidence of irrational behavior yet.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Agreed with Spoiled Milk. 'do nothing' is the correct policy answer. In the long-run, it will involve persuading the Kim regime that their wealth and lifestyle won't be challenged by tentative liberalisation moves - so cautiously allowing them back into the sphere of nations in return for certain moves. But that would require diplomatic tact and openness we won't see from a Trump administration, so for now... do nothing.

pigeon

Banned
Agreed with Spoiled Milk. 'do nothing' is the correct policy answer. In the long-run, it will involve persuading the Kim regime that their wealth and lifestyle won't be challenged by tentative liberalisation moves - so cautiously allowing them back into the sphere of nations in return for certain moves. But that would require diplomatic tact and openness we won't see from a Trump administration, so for now... do nothing.

This more or less sums up my view.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Not really, no.
Don't underestimate that it took decades to get Hillary's name as muddy as it is. Republicans push for people to hate Nancy Pelosi is relatively new, and not as far reaching.

As much as I disagree with Bam Bam's post about Pelosi preventing dems from retaking the House, this post is wrong. My Republican father-in-law has been talking about Pelosi (thanks to Limbaugh and Hannity's radio shows) for nearly a decade now. She's just as toxic as Hillary with those voters. And, yes, we all know why: Because she's a woman.

Thankfully, those voters aren't needed, and, as someone else said, is the GOP really going to run with, "The democrats will impeach Trump and install Pelosi as president?"

FyreWulff

Obama's letter to Trump has been released leaked

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/03/politics/obama-trump-letter-inauguration-day/index.html

Dear Mr. President -

Congratulations on a remarkable run. Millions have placed their hopes in you, and all of us, regardless of party, should hope for expanded prosperity and security during your tenure.
This is a unique office, without a clear blueprint for success, so I don't know that any advice from me will be particularly helpful. Still, let me offer a few reflections from the past 8 years.
First, we've both been blessed, in different ways, with great good fortune. Not everyone is so lucky. It's up to us to do everything we can (to) build more ladders of success for every child and family that's willing to work hard.
Second, American leadership in this world really is indispensable. It's up to us, through action and example, to sustain the international order that's expanded steadily since the end of the Cold War, and upon which our own wealth and safety depend.
Third, we are just temporary occupants of this office. That makes us guardians of those democratic institutions and traditions -- like rule of law, separation of powers, equal protection and civil liberties -- that our forebears fought and bled for. Regardless of the push and pull of daily politics, it's up to us to leave those instruments of our democracy at least as strong as we found them.
And finally, take time, in the rush of events and responsibilities, for friends and family. They'll get you through the inevitable rough patches.
Michelle and I wish you and Melania the very best as you embark on this great adventure, and know that we stand ready to help in any ways which we can.
Good luck and Godspeed,
BO

chadskin

Trump has the best lawyers.

In which the president's lawyer writes me at 1:30 am on a Saturday and asks me if I'm on drugs.

DIy89IrXoAE-BBA.jpg
https://twitter.com/natashabertrand/status/904305388304175104

Quoted to publicly signal agreement.

As much as the thought of President Pelosi delights me, I doubt she's ever seriously aspired to that office. She knows her strengths and where she works best; she knows she needs to stay in the House and pass a shitload of progressive legislation for the next Democratic president.

And unlike the current president, she has the STAM-IN-UH to last until 2022-24, if need be.

I get so angry at the vitriol she receives. If a Republican woman had achieved half as much, they'd hail her as the second coming of Thatcher (and put her in the window so they could say, "We're not sexist!").

If Democrats win and Tim Ryan and his crew try anything funny, they need to be placed on the most irrelevant committees in the House.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom