• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

can we just get rid of the stupid 'debt limit' mechanic in the first place

i mean, i know it's on purpose to make it a political football, but someone needs to finally just get rid of it

I mean, I guess I'm not understanding the point of this. Am I mistaken, or is this actually to get around republicans? Because democrats would vote for both of those.

Yeah, at first glance this strategy sounds... decently intelligent. Such a bill would have no problem getting 194 Democratic + 24 Moderate Darling Republican votes - very likely more.

There must be a catch.

barber

Agreed with Spoiled Milk. 'do nothing' is the correct policy answer. In the long-run, it will involve persuading the Kim regime that their wealth and lifestyle won't be challenged by tentative liberalisation moves - so cautiously allowing them back into the sphere of nations in return for certain moves. But that would require diplomatic tact and openness we won't see from a Trump administration, so for now... do nothing.
I would say that I am more afraid of the bombs going rogue if the country starts to self destruct than them using them on purpose (having problems and hitting land could be a possibility).

Maybe someone impressed upon him the massive importance of both hurricane relief and the debt ceiling, and they've decided to be reasonable for once.

Doubt it.

Do most republicans vote against natural disaster relief or just the ones in texas? I know the NE republicans are still pissed at them over voting no for sandy relief.

can we just get rid of the stupid 'debt limit' mechanic in the first place

i mean, i know it's on purpose to make it a political football, but someone needs to finally just get rid of it

Congress needs to make it automatic unless they introduce a measure to stop the automatic raise.

Agreed with Spoiled Milk. 'do nothing' is the correct policy answer. In the long-run, it will involve persuading the Kim regime that their wealth and lifestyle won't be challenged by tentative liberalisation moves - so cautiously allowing them back into the sphere of nations in return for certain moves. But that would require diplomatic tact and openness we won't see from a Trump administration, so for now... do nothing.

Do you think the Kim family could be persuaded to vacate if offered their current lifestyle somewhere else? I'm in basic agreement with you, but this means abandoning NK citizens to live in a place like NK. I think we could at least offer it (maybe under a more competent administration).

Wow it really pisses some people in OT off when it's pointed out that Pepe became an alt-right/racist symbol huh

Same jist with calling Trump supporters racist "grandma voted Trump and she isn't a racist." People don't want to believe that they interact with so much racist symbols and people.

pigeon

Banned
I mean, I guess I'm not understanding the point of this. Am I mistaken, or is this actually to get around republicans? Because democrats would vote for both of those.

Yes, this is 100% to give Republicans cover for voting for a debt ceiling hike.

Does Mike Coffman's discharge petition for DACA have a decent chance of succeeding? This Politico article says he already has twelve Republican cosponsors, and Pelosi can deliver the Democratic votes. He only needs eleven more Republicans at that point to get to 218.

royalan

I can see the logic in this. Let's hope NK will work on the US' timetable, though. 2020 is our earliest opportunity to course correct, and that's a long ways away.

As much as I disagree with Bam Bam's post about Pelosi preventing dems from retaking the House, this post is wrong. My Republican father-in-law has been talking about Pelosi (thanks to Limbaugh and Hannity's radio shows) for nearly a decade now. She's just as toxic as Hillary with those voters. And, yes, we all know why: Because she's a woman.

Thankfully, those voters aren't needed, and, as someone else said, is the GOP really going to run with, "The democrats will impeach Trump and install Pelosi as president?"

Truthfully, I wasn't even considering older Republican voters who live on a diet of conservative AM radio. Of course they know who Pelosi is and hate her, and as you pointed out we don't need them. I'm comparing Pelosi to what we saw last year with Clinton, where even younger, liberal voters who should have been primed to support her had been infused with an indescribable dislike of Hillary. It took decades of mounting attacks and the 2008 primary to do that. Those same voters don't really know who Pelosi is or the specific role she plays in the party, at least those I've been around and worked with here in Philly.

Sadly, the far left is doing a better job of smearing Pelosi and making her name toxic with liberal voters than the right ever could.

That's every time this misbegotten administration does anything rational or is in a position to do anything rational (or in this case not doing something being rational): if this was any other admin it wouldn't be news and I wouldn't need to fear on that end respectively.

As much as I disagree with Bam Bam's post about Pelosi preventing dems from retaking the House, this post is wrong. My Republican father-in-law has been talking about Pelosi (thanks to Limbaugh and Hannity's radio shows) for nearly a decade now. She's just as toxic as Hillary with those voters. And, yes, we all know why: Because she's a woman.

Thankfully, those voters aren't needed, and, as someone else said, is the GOP really going to run with, "The democrats will impeach Trump and install Pelosi as president?"

Bingo. She's one of the few in the higher echelons of Dem leadership that can hack it at that level, so of course she's in the crosshairs.

Oh, so he's outed himself as a Lionel Hutz as well, huh? Fun. I wonder how the trials will go seeing as the rest of the crew seems to have the cachet to pick up actual high-end lawfirms to do their counsel for them and the Creamsicle Orban can't.

I wish I could find an archive of NeoGAF threads in the leadup to the Iraq war. I'd like to see how in general posters reacted to ousting Saddam or toppling Iraq pre-emptively, before the hindsight came in.

I know it's not 1-to-1 like the NK situation, with NK actually having/getting nukes, but when I see posts implying inaction is killing its oppressed citizens (meaning we have to yet again be world police) or that even if the nukes are a deterrent it still means they could be selling them to terrorists (another thing heard during that buildup) I just grow fascinated by possible parallels.

I'm also watching documentaries lately on the buildup to WW1 and WW2 so that might be what peaked my curiosity. Imagine if NeoGAF existed leading up to WW2.

I'm also watching documentaries lately on the buildup to WW1 and WW2 so that might be what peaked my curiosity. Imagine if NeoGAF existed leading up to WW2.

Just peek into some of the alt-right/"Don't call them Nazis!!!!!" threads from last year.

#bothsides
#whiteworkingclass.de
#globalists
#neoliberalshillRoosevelt
#HueyLongPrimaryChallenge

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if NeoGAF existed leading up to WW2.

Yeah I don't want to read about how sad people are about not being able to use memes that the nazis appropriated for the lulz. Pepe is just a comic the swastika is just a symbol of peace!

Oh wait I have to do that now anyway.

Owzers

If another President said this, you'd see an immediate loss of stock market value. Because Trump tweeted it, I doubt markets will move at all. Investors have learned that these threats are meaningless, which is a problem unto itself.
We accept that the president does not speak for the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom