• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

The upside to Pruitt repealing the Clean Power Plan is that that rule was never implemented in the first place. All the progress on climate action in states, cities, and the private sector was done without it, and energy companies aren't going to start reopening shuttered coal plants or investing in new ones when they already seeing the writing on the wall for that industry.

It's a good rhetorical play for their base, I guess, but it doesn't have any practical implications for improving the coal industry's future or killing climate action progress, other than being symbiotically embarrassing.

Pyrokai

The upside to Pruitt repealing the Clean Power Plan is that that rule was never implemented in the first place. All the progress on climate action in states, cities, and the private sector was done without it, and energy companies aren't going to start reopening shuttered coal plants or investing in new ones when they already seeing the writing on the wall for that industry.

It's a good rhetorical play for their base, I guess, but it doesn't have any practical implications for improving the coal industry's future or killing climate action progress, other than being symbiotically embarrassing.

This makes me feel a little better.

I still can't believe Trump invited the Russian government into the white house for private meetings, kicked everyone out but the Russian media which ran around the WH taking pictures of everything , and a lot of the people invited are under investigation for colluding with Trump. Not one bit of concern from the GOP in regards to that.

By the way does anyone remember when the GOP spent eight years complaining that Obama thought he was he smartest man in the room?

Wonder what they think of the POTUS challenging his Secretary of State to an IQ comparison lol

Teggy

I think most Dems have learned their lesson after what happened with Trump.

Yeah, not so sure about that

DLsxn_rXUAAIMNj

guys going to be in the teens by December.
I wish - he’d be underwater enough even in Alabama for Doug Jones to win.

What caused Trump’s previous low point? Charlottesville?
Yup. Guessing the drop comes with frustration from Republicans over no ACA repeal and his focus on stupid bullshit (NFL, infighting with Republican Senators etc) while half of Puerto Rico is underwater.

Another stake in the “Trump can do anything and his approval just keeps going up!” hand-wringing coffin. I mean, that’s certainly one way to interpret those numbers.

Ogodei

Yeah, not so sure about that

DLsxn_rXUAAIMNj

The issue is that we have nothing to lose where there's a republican incumbent. The Todd Akin strategy was risky for McCaskill as a Democrat incumbent trying to guess which challenger would be easier to beat, just as it was a blown risk for Clinton. Here we're talking about breaking strong GOP incumbents with challengers who are statistically likely to be weaker in the general purely due to lack of name recognition (although Moore had very strong name recognition which is how he was able to overcome Strange).

Now this would be a bad idea, but only in the case of Collins and Murkowski, but we know Murkowski is primary-proof and if a Le Page-esque nutbar primaried Collins then Maine wouldn't elect them (unless Collins ran as spoiler).

You saw the moderate darlings, except for those two, fold under pressure to the most partisan shit possible falling down from leadership. Even Capito folded, ergo the risk is that we either win and get a second Manchin out of WV, or we lose and get someone who would still vote for what McConnell tells them to.

There's also the outside possibility that we get the Senate equivalent of the Freedom Caucus, so even if the strategy backfires and you see more extremist Republicans in the senate, they would further cripple the Senate GOP's ability to function.

Owzers

Trump just lying to try to diminish corker again, it’s not that The NY Times interview made trump look bad, the real story is that corker was so dumb he got duped by them.

Trump just lying to try to diminish corker again, it’s not that The NY Times interview made trump look bad, the real story is that corker was so dumb he got duped by them.
Corker should challenge him to an IQ test.

(Wonder if anyone’s ever explained to Trump that IQ measures capacity over actual knowledge or if he can’t comprehend that)

Things trump hasn’t commented on
- soldiers killed in ambush days ago
- deadly wildfires in CA
"I like soldiers who weren't ambushed", Trump, probably.

And tbh he probably holds a grudge against California for causing him to lose the popular vote. He only seems to care about people and/or states that voted for him.

Just because Akin lost doesn't mean that the worst candidate from the GOP side can never win.

Just because Trump won doesn't mean that the worst candidate from the GOP side can never lose.

Just because Akin lost doesn't mean that the worst candidate from the GOP side can never win.

Just because Trump won doesn't mean that the worst candidate from the GOP side can never lose.

I would say that, arguably, Clinton was the Democrats worst candidate in the minds of the public at large.

Maledict

I’m sort of with Crab on this strategy now. Like it or not the Republican Party is half of your government and that will never change. As bad as things are now, do you really want a party of trump-clones controlling half your country?

I’m sort of with Crab on this strategy now. Like it or not the Republican Party is half of your government and that will never change. As bad as things are now, do you really want a party of trump-clones controlling half your country?
The GOP establishment has completely caved to what the Trump wing wants, every time. There is no distinction and stop pretending like there is one. Only when they retire do they find their backbone (Corker).

Might as well set up more winnable contests and get less effective GOP Senators elected if they do win.

Diablos

I would say that, arguably, Clinton was the Democrats worst candidate in the minds of the public at large.
Dukakis. Or perhaps Mondale.

Hillary won the popular vote at least. If we were like any other sensible nation when it came to elections she would be President.

But yeah that doesn’t excuse how many people hate her...

PBY

Banned
The GOP establishment has completely caved to what the Trump wing wants, every time. There is no distinction and stop pretending like there is one. Only when they retire do they find their backbone (Corker).

Might as well set up more winnable contests and get less effective GOP Senators elected if they do win.

this is the height of idiocy.

You're acting as if there's no distinction, when the party clearly has moved right in the last 18 months and veered into overt racism, xenophobia and mysogyny.

It has negative impacts (1) simply by making the public discourse more hateful and normalizing fascist bullshit, and (2) the policies HAVE shifted right. The "wall" isn't traditionally an establishment republican move, for example.

I have no confidence that they actually have any clue who the “worst” candidate in the minds of republican voters actually is.

If they think most extreme = worst, they are dumb, and it’s how we will wind up with a half dozen Roy Moore’s in the senate.

In the context of a mid term, the most boring candidate that opposes Trump would probably be the ether one for democrats. Don’t give Trump fans a reason to turn out for the mid terms. The prospect of unseating anti trump GOPers with guys that will actually support him will keep their based energized and have a reason to vote.

If the collective GOP runs away from Trump, that’s the best scenario, because his supporters won’t have an outlet in 2018

Maledict

I’m not saying that the current bunch of insane idiots AE any good, or moderates. But there is a difference between voting on party lines and caving, and being actual advocates for trumpism and crazy shit. Do you really want senators who believe the body shuts down rape pregnancies automatically? That the earth is 5000 years old? That homosexuality should be illegal?

Because that’s the downside to this strategy. You will end up filling the senate with people who are even worse than the current lot. Which is hard to do, admittedly, but they can manage it.

kirblar

What makes you think they aren't already?

Like, this has already been happening for the past 20 years. The GOP has been taken over by its extreme flank. Even here in the Clinton Country that is Virginia, they almost took out Gillespie in the primary. Dems haven't had to do anything to encourage this behavior. They're doing it to themselves willingly. Any effect we have on this is minimal.

Explain to me what the practical difference is between the Trumpists and the feckless losers who piss and moan and then vote for whatever Trump asks them to.

Graham and Cassidy talk sensibly, flash you a warm smile and then write a bill to take healthcare away from 32 million people, jack up premiums for everyone else and strip away protections wherever possible. Oh gee, Lindsey Graham can joke and laugh with Democrats sometimes? I don’t give a fuck.

To say the establishment GOP wing hasn’t been actively fanning these flames even if they give mealy-mouthed condemnations of only the worst behavior is utterly delusional. Who in the Republican Party has denounced Trump’s comments about the NFL? That’s what I fucking thought.

Wow fucking hell. CNN is running with Cillizza's speil about Obama and Hillary's silence on Weinstein as their main story. This fucking moron.

Like, this has already been happening for the past 20 years. The GOP has been taken over by its extreme flank. Even here in the Clinton Country that is Virginia, they almost took out Gillespie in the primary. Dems haven't had to do anything to encourage this behavior. They're doing it to themselves willingly. Any effect we have on this is minimal.
This is where I'm at, too. The only way we could affect this internal GOP Alabamification would be national repudiation in the form of losing Congress and for Trump to soundly lose reelection.

kirblar

Explain to me what the practical difference is between the Trumpists and the feckless losers who piss and moan and then vote for whatever Trump asks them to.

Graham and Cassidy talk sensibly, flash you a warm smile and then write a bill to take healthcare away from 32 million people, jack up premiums for everyone else and strip away protections wherever possible. Oh gee, Lindsey Graham can joke and laugh with Democrats sometimes? I don’t give a fuck.

To say the establishment GOP wing hasn’t been actively fanning these flames even if they give mealy-mouthed condemnations of only the worst behavior is utterly delusional. Who in the Republican Party has denounced Trump’s comments about the NFL? That’s what I fucking thought.
There's the giant big business/.1% wing and the legion of rural white voters they're desperately clinging to for power.

They don't have the votes for their policies without the latter.

RDreamer

We already have that.

The only difference between Trump and the trump-clones is that the clones right now say the quiet part quietly and Trump says the quiet part loudly. I'd rather they just get out with it and say the shit they really want loudly so we all can hear it. Other than that there's really no fucking difference. The shit Trump does and says is what Republicans have been building on for decades. They just whisper the shit to their base and pretend we're all too braindead to have heard it. Unfortunately a lot of people are too braindead to hear the dogwhistles, so fuck it. Let's get them all to whistle.

PBY

Banned

We're reacting to the politico reporting about Dems wanting to elevate the fringe candidates to make races easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom