• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevinroc

(I would wait for a better source before posting a thread, to be safe.)

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/10/10/trump-executive-order-health-care-243622

Politico also says Thursday of this week.

Trump is planning to sign the directive on Thursday, a source briefed on the plans said, in a move that would follow through on his repeated calls to open up the sale of health insurance across state lines. Republicans including Sens. Rand Paul and Mike Enzi have long championed association health plans as a way to lower insurance costs and give people more options.

Ogodei

I do wonder how broad in scope this is supposed to be.

Slavitt has been accurate but alarmist consistently, so there's definitely a true threat here, but how large?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Huckabee explaining to other carbon units that they should "get a sense of humor" is the most unintentionally amazing part of the story.

I absolutely detest her. One of the worst cockroaches to scurry out of this administration.
get a funny bone morans

Sharpeye

Guadagno looks so unhappy at this debate. Murphy just said he will make NJ a sanctuary state if an agreement is not made on DACA by March.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
And in addition to that, but would calcify the issue along political alignments that would staunch bleeding from the conservative portion of the spectrum.

Or said bleeding happens anyways, Trump gets bumped, the NFL is tanked, racial animosity spikes. ETTD.

The worst thing the Dems can do is turn this into a referendum on "loving their country". If I'm the GOP, I'm basking in the possibility that a couple of high profile democrats / progressives, trying to get their progressive bonafide up, makes a comment about "how could you have pride in this country / I don't have pride in this country / something similarly stupid". Because at that point, that's an election turning albatross to stick on a whole party. Hell, Kaepernick's come dangerously close to falling into that trap in the past.

sangreal

quote-people-who-boast-about-their-i-q-are-losers-stephen-hawking-12-67-43.jpg

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

If true, there can't be a way for that to pass the courts, can there? It seems so cut and dry that no one can be denied or charged a different price for a plan that there can't be wiggle room for executive orders.

Essential health benefits might be a little wobbly, like if there's a way to technically call a benefit as being covered when it's clearly not, or a way to call specific treatments and conditions as not falling under that broader essential health benefit category. But I can't believe there's a way preexisting conditions could be touched.

I'm leaning on the side of that tweet being inaccurate.

Pixieking

Banned
I think the past couple of weeks - PR, NFL, Corker, plus this craziness with the healthcare EO - has finally opened people up to talking about Trump's mental wellbeing. I genuinely think it's now more likely they try to 25th Amendment him soon, rather than wait for Mueller to finish his investigation.

So Mattis and Kelley are planning a coup?

Because tackling the president to stop him from making an order is a coup.

What if Corker is right?

First, albeit in an emergency situation, we have invested extraordinary power in two ex-generals (Jim Mattis at Defense and John F. Kelly as chief of staff) and one current general, H.R. McMaster as national security adviser. It's a serious departure from absolute civilian control of the military. In Corker's words, the Constitution does not envision the military babysitting the president.

David Frum remarks, ”Thank you and congratulations to those officials struggling to protect American security, the Western alliance, and world peace against Donald Trump. But the constitutional order is becoming the casualty of these struggles." He acknowledges the debt owed to Mattis and others but observes that many Americans ”would prefer a Mattis presidency to a Trump presidency. But to stealthily endow Secretary Mattis with the powers of the presidency as a work-around of Trump's abuse of them? That's a crisis, too, and one sinister for the future."
Second, understand that not only Democrats but also a significant subset of Republicans are banking on Mattis and others to act in extra-constitutional ways so the president does not irreparably harm the country. If that is what they are banking on — Trump's power being thwarted, ignored, delayed, etc. — then they must consider foreshortening his term. We have argued that Congress does not and should not need the go-ahead from the special prosecutor to commence discussion of impeachment; impeachment is the province of the Congress.

If the president in the eyes of Congress has attempted to thwart the Russia investigation, lied repeatedly about his ties to Russia, threatened the attorney general for complying with his obligation to recuse himself, enriched himself by virtue of government service, etc., it can and should proceed. The potential that the president may be a menace, a threat to national security, should add a sense of urgency to that undertaking.

Hopfrog

So Mattis and Kelley are planning a coup?

Because tackling the president to stop him from making an order is a coup.

Yep. If you're truly at the point where you are discussing tackling the POTUS to prevent him from launching nuclear missile on a whim then you are already in 25th Amendment territory.

If it is serious enough to contemplate preventing him from exercising power it is time to take that power away from him, legally.

FyreWulff

There's a weird loophole where the Sec of Defense cannot veto the order to launch but still has the responsibility of certifying it. Trump could order a nuking and Mattis could just refuse to certify it or resign, leaving with the US with nobody that can certify a nuclear strike order.

kirblar

There's a weird loophole where the Sec of Defense cannot veto the order to launch but still has the responsibility of certifying it. Trump could order a nuking and Mattis could just refuse to certify it or resign, leaving with the US with nobody that can certify a nuclear strike order.
This is a good loophole to have.

There's a long chain of command when it comes to the firing of nuclear weapons, and because of how antiquated and shitty the system is odds are it would get stopped somewhere along the line to be honest.

chadskin

Devin Nunes sucks
On Tuesday, Nunes subpoenaed the partners who run Fusion GPS, the U.S. opposition research firm that hired Steele, a source familiar with the matter said.

“This is a blatant attempt to undermine the reporting of the so-called ‘dossier,’ even as its core conclusion of a broad campaign by the Russian government to influence the outcome of the 2016 presidential election has been confirmed by the U.S. intelligence community and is now widely accepted as fact,” Joshua Levy, counsel to Fusion GPS, said in a statement.

Committee Democrat Eric Swalwell also fired back, saying Nunes told Congress he had recused himself and that issuing the subpoenas would violate that recusal.

“It is also a way to go it alone, not work with Democrats, and it looks like he is trying to again undermine the investigation,” Swalwell said.

Nunes also used his power last month to issue subpoenas to the FBI and Justice Department, FBI Director Christopher Wray and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, demanding that they surrender their files on Steele, his dossier, and their investigations into his work.

So far, the Justice Department and FBI have not turned over the information Nunes requested because of the FBI investigation, which is supervised by special counsel Mueller.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...rump-dossier-on-russia-contacts-idUSKBN1CG02L

Who would go in on invoking the 25th? Tillerson, Mattis, Mnuchin (?), Chao (McConnell and Trump fucking hate each other)... needs a majority though yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom