• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not actually sure I do. He's never asked technical policy questions in the past - why would he be? All I can find in archives is just fluff pieces. Almost anyone can look coherent in a fluff piece. I'm unconvinced age is the causal factor so much as, well, being totally unprepared for the presidency in every single way is.

I also find the causal ageism implicit in the idea nobody older can be elected quite disturbing. You'd never say 'we shouldn't elect a woman, since they might get pregnant and there's no time for that in the presidency'. Why are you making an equivalent statement on the basis of age? As a general norm, we ought not to be discriminating in that way. My stepfather got laid off at age 63. He's had an incredibly difficult time finding work, despite being very good at what he does, and a large part of it comes down to the fact his industry (software) is full of young people who are willing to casually write-off older people.

There are so many legitimate reasons to attack Trump it is baffling to me that you would choose to do so in a way that undermines an important liberal norm.

Ageism is a thing, but it's reasonable to ask whether someone should be doing something if they're very old. My grandmother has a valid driver's license but there's no way in hell she has the reaction time to drive faster than 20 MPH.

You could say that's a physical limit, but one of the main ways we need to improve mental health here is by treating it similarly to physical health. A side effect of that is one should be mentally competent to perform a job, especially the presidency. It shouldn't necessarily exclude old candidates, but it's a bit pants to pretend like it's not an issue when we've literally had a president who had Alzheimer's. That's a big problem that we as a country have just decided to ignore because we don't like talking about mental health.

"The faces of McConnell, Schumer, and Pelosi in this photo capture the negotiating leverage each party has right now."

DJDPU2XXkAAjwOL.jpg:large
When was this photo taken?

Barzul

All polls matter.

Speaking of polls, EPIC-MRA polled in Michigan and found Trump with a 35-62 approval spread. Given the closeness of the race last year I'd have to consider it Democrats' number one pickup.

OH SHIT GUYS DAVE REICHERT (WA-8) IS RETIRING, PICKUP AHOY

https://twitter.com/deirdrewalshcnn/status/905459342404710400

Went for Clinton 48-45 and Obama 50-48

Damn you just beat me to it lol. But yes huge opportunity here for Dems to pick up another seat.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Ageism is a thing, but it's reasonable to ask whether someone should be doing something if they're very old. My grandmother has a valid driver's license but there's no way in hell she has the reaction time to drive faster than 20 MPH.

You could say that's a physical limit, but one of the main ways we need to improve mental health here is by treating it similarly to physical health. A side effect of that is one should be mentally competent to perform a job, especially the presidency. It shouldn't necessarily exclude old candidates, but it's a bit pants to pretend like it's not an issue when we've literally had a president who had Alzheimer's. That's a big problem that we as a country have just decided to ignore because we don't like talking about mental health.

Yep. The other issue with age is that it both accelerates the progression of illness and makes it harder to recover. So something as basic as a cold at 60 can be vastly different from a cold at 80.

I think once someone gets to the "age expectancy" their future is precarious and so probably unwise to elect them without some level of scrutiny.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Of course, but there's quite easily a way around this - for example, mandating that presidents must have annual mental health check-ups to ensure basic competencies - rather than just declaring older people invalid automatically. That would be good regardless of age, too, since I'm sure depression and various other mental disorders have affected presidents of all ages from time to time.

Damn you just beat me to it lol. But yes huge opportunity here for Dems to pick up another seat.
Wonder what his thinking is. He's not too old for a politician (67) and would easily hold onto that seat for another decade if he wanted to.

I wonder how discouraging it is knowing that even when your party has a huge majority in Congress as well as the presidency, you can't actually get anything done because your leadership is composed of cowards and idiots.

We already have an established norm on how to deal with a president rendered unfit for the job by mental health issues. Pretend it isn't happening.

Don't think this was posted yet.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/06/political-parties-religion-race-242322

Americans who identify as white Christians now make up a minority of the country, according to a new study that illustrates how seismic shifts in the nation’s racial and religious identities have altered the composition of the two political parties significantly.

Only 43 percent of Americans now identify as white Christians, and only three-in-10 are white Protestants, the new Public Religion Research Institute study shows. Forty years ago, about 81 percent of Americans were white Christians, and 55 percent were white Protestants.

A decade ago, 50 percent of Americans who identified as Democrats said they were white Christians. But now that’s down to just 29 percent. And more than a quarter of Democrats, 26 percent, say they are religiously unaffiliated — up from only 9 percent in 2006.

Contrast that with the Republican Party: Nearly three-in-four Republicans, 73 percent, identify as white Christians — and nearly half of them identify as white evangelical Christians. Overall, 35 percent of Republicans are white evangelicals, roughly the same as in 2006, when it was 37 percent.

Religiously unaffiliated individuals make up a plurality of residents in 20 states, the study shows — mostly in the West and Northeast. By contrast, white evangelicals are a plurality in 13, mostly Southern states. Catholics are the plurality in 11 states.

Even as white Christians shrink as a share of the overall population, Republicans have dominated the political scene for much the past eight years. The GOP now controls the White House, both chambers in Congress, nearly three-quarters of the nation’s governorships and the majority of state legislatures.

How have Republicans done it, even as demographic trends tilt against them? It’s because their voters show up, Jones says.

“The ballot box functions a bit like a time machine,” he said. “Because whites — and white Christians in particular — vote more than other Americans, the population at the ballot box has not caught up to the population of the country yet.”

It also breaks down some racial-religious groups.
AA-Protestant is 68% D to 4% R
Hispanic-Catholics 40% D to 9% R
Jewish American- 47% D to 20% R
Hindus 36% D to 9% R
Muslims 46% D to 6% R

Democrats are getting more diverse both religiously and racial, but they do not come out to vote like Republicans which is something everyone already know.

The link to the study breaks down more in detail.
https://www.prri.org/research/american-religious-landscape-christian-religiously-unaffiliated/

Of course, but there's quite easily a way around this - for example, mandating that presidents must have annual mental health check-ups to ensure basic competencies - rather than just declaring older people invalid automatically. That would be good regardless of age, too, since I'm sure depression and various other mental disorders have affected presidents of all ages from time to time.

Sure, like I said, age shouldn't disqualify someone instantly. Maybe also make those campaign doctor's notes mean something.

Leigh Ann Caldwell‏Verified account @LACaldwellDC 1m1 minute ago
More
BIG: Harvey aid will now include not only 3-month extension of debt limit but also a 3-month CR

Frank Thorp V‏Verified account @frankthorp 55s56 seconds ago
More
NEWS: At WH mtg, Trump agreed to having Harvey $$, debt limit AND a three month CR all together.

Jake Sherman‏Verified account @JakeSherman 3m3 minutes ago
More
NEWS — TRUMP agrees to 3-month debt limit increase in meeting w hill leaders. All GOP leaders were opposed, per multiple sources.
Buckle up.

Here's the Dems release:

DJDlAVuXcAAuqDg.jpg:large

Buckle up.

Here's Schumer's release:

DJDlAVuXcAAuqDg.jpg:large
Not surprising. Trump has in the past asked why there can't just be one big bill that does everything, saying he wanted to couple ACA repeal/replace with infrastructure spending. His tiny attention span can't keep up with all these bills.

Blader

ugh when we can dump schumer and pelosi already WE NEED NEW LEADERS

(On a non-snarky note: that is a pretty funny turn of events.)

If Democrats managed to win back both houses of Congress next year it'd probably be super easy to coax Trump into signing anything they pass, just as long as Pelosi or Schumer or some other Dem leadership was the last person he talked to.

Too bad we'll also be impeaching him.

More:

Damian Paletta‏Verified account @damianpaletta 3m3 minutes ago
More
Suspending the debt limit until Dec 15 means it's really suspended until around April 15 (Treasury takes emergency steps to avoid default).

Mike DeBonis‏Verified account @mikedebonis 9m9 minutes ago
More

Trump overruled wishes of all Rs in the room...Ryan, Cornyn, McConnell, McCarthy, Mnuchin...who wanted longer term extension.

At least Kelly has the White House on lock down. I mean those leaks have completely stop.....nevermind.

Ty Cobb's (Trumps legal counsel for Russia) has had his emails leak...

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-lawyer-ty-cobb-email-russia-2017-9

Cobb replied: "Dude U have no idea! I walked away from $4 million annually to do this, had to sell my entire retirement account for major capital losses and lost a s---load to try to protect the third pillar of democracy. Your hate I will never understand as an American. Hope you get help!"

Asked later by Jetton to "set the record straight" and explain how Cobb is "justifying" his role at the White House to himself and others, Cobb said he "can say assertively [that] more adults in the room will be better. Me and Kelly among others."

lol.

Time to replace our leaders with Tim Ryan and Joe Manchin.

Edit: Beaten :(
The Manchin mention got me good.

Because I'm sure there's some fringe left asshole somewhere who saw some Manchin comment about the white working class and thought "Yeah, that guy knows what's up, every Democrat should be like him!"

Did... did Trump just let Democrats completely control the entire debate??? Was there even a debate?

Seems like it was just
Democrats: "We want this and we will do nothing else"
GOP: "Uhh... no? We're in control here"
Trump: "Yea, sure whatever, go with their plan"
GOP: "!?"

The sheer amount of wins for Democrats while not holding a single branch of government is pretty astounding

What fucking wins? Obamacare is falling apart due to sabotage, DACA won't be replaced by legislation, important institutions are being dismantled from the inside in ways that won't be entirely clear until historians tell us 20 years from now, our administration is woefully prepared for any crisis that might require leadership and restraint, our alliances are being dismantled by braggadocio and economic illiteracy, and Republicans can definitely still pass a wide swath of their agenda in the coming years. Also it's only been 7 months.

But at least the Republicans look bad in our small, insular thought bubble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom