• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Democrats managed to win back both houses of Congress next year it'd probably be super easy to coax Trump into signing anything they pass, just as long as Pelosi or Schumer or some other Dem leadership was the last person he talked to.

Too bad we'll also be impeaching him.

LMAO

I bet Chuck knows how to play Trump like a fiddle. He has a ton of experience dealing with wall street type people.

Irma related but...

Claude Brodesser‏Verified account @ClaudeBrodesser 3h3 hours ago
More
Shocking: Power utility company in Puerto Rico estimates Island will be without electricity for "4 to 6 months."

Holy shit.

Also, McConnell being interviewed...

Erica Werner‏Verified account @ericawerner 5m5 minutes ago
More
McConnell came right out at the mics and said Trump agreed with Schumer and Pelosi. So there ya have it.

He also said that's exactly what he would be offering as per the President - a combined 3 month continuing resolution, debt ceiling and Harvey relief.

Manu Raju‏Verified account @mkraju 27m27 minutes ago
More
Mark Meadows, head of the Freedom Caucus, blasts Trump's three-month fiscal deal. "Democrats got exactly what they wanted," per @jeremyherb

MichaelJacksonpopcorn.gif

Kevin Liptak‏Verified account @Kevinliptakcnn 51m51 minutes ago
More
Cong. source to @deirdrewalshcnn on WH meeting: GOP leaders "were visibly annoyed by Ivanka's presence" at end, said "careened off topic."
How useless is Ivanka at this point?

The ironic thing is that if they had punted Trump and put in Pence, they would have had a way better chance of getting the shit they wanted. Oh well, enjoy your slow demise GOP

Ithil

Teggy

I get how it helps democrats, but how does Schumer spin a short term increase in the debt limit to be good for the country? And why did Trump want a short term increase? He thinks he's going to hold it hostage?

I get how it helps democrats, but how does Schumer spin a short term increase in the debt limit to be good for the country? And why did Trump want a short term increase? He thinks he's going to hold it hostage?
Easy - the GOP wanted to attach all sorts of extraneous shit to a debt ceiling increase. Now we have more time to debate the issue.

"This isn't a fight worth having with the DACA crisis and multiple hurricanes going on"

pigeon

Banned

Nobody in America understands what the debt ceiling is or what raising it means. Otherwise they would support eliminating it!

Trump falls into this category. When you elect somebody with utter indifference to policy and politics, you run the risk of them getting bored and choosing stuff that's bad policy and politics in order to get out of the meeting.

Teggy

Easy - the GOP wanted to attach all sorts of extraneous shit to a debt ceiling increase. Now we have more time to debate the issue.

So the 18 month increase had a bunch of Republican wish list stuff attached? The idea being give the democrats a short term increase/CR/Harvey and then try to corner them on a longer term increase and DACA in 3 mos when the hurricanes have quieted down?

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account
@realDonaldTrump
Follow
More
The worst negotiators in history (otherwise known as Republicans) have just offered to suspend debt ceiling for four months. Pathetic!

Lol. Regular order is ok to be discarded if it's on legislation HE likes!

Expect this or something like it to pass this year or next. It's going to one way or another.
If they manage to pass an ACA stabilization bill, I think that takes the wind out of the sails of an earnest repeal/replace effort pretty hard.

That and DREAM are probably the only major policy concessions we can get from the Republicans while being in the minority, other than just stopping heinous shit from going through.

Teggy

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur
Aide with knowledge: "Toward the end of the meeting Ivanka Trump entered the Oval Office to 'say hello' and the meeting careened off topic."
1:49 PM · Sep 6, 2017

Kelly asleep at the wheel?

When Dems said they'd be open to working with Trump after he was elected, I didn't realize it was almost exclusively going to be on their terms.

Diablos

If they manage to pass an ACA stabilization bill, I think that takes the wind out of the sails of an earnest repeal/replace effort pretty hard.

That and DREAM are probably the only major policy concessions we can get from the Republicans while being in the minority, other than just stopping heinous shit from going through.
Then they better get that stabilization bill passed...

Emarv

Kelly asleep at the wheel?

Literally every Ivanka story has her "randomly walking in" on meetings or interviews. Like, does Trump like her walking in like this? Thinks it's some "pretty girl power play", or is she just nosy?

I just always picture her coming in like Marty's daughter in BttF2.

tumblr_m6ala2UtmD1qimswgo1_400.gif

I just imagine Pelsoi walking in grabbing trump by the balls and saying

Pelosi:" your signing this, you say one word. one. and I rip of left jr here"

Trump:" okay okay" signs paper

after pelsoi leaves

trump smiles and feels excited, then gets confused and jumps int he brietbart pool to feel better

Barzul

Don't know why I'm having a sneaking suspicion that Trump might push congress to pass Dream Act. Have nothing to back it up but he hasn't really sounded committed on kicking out Dreamers. It would be a "win" too, which ultimately is all he cares about.

lol politics

Haha some pic.

We sorta lucked into Schumer coming to the top precisely when the only personality that knows how to deal with Trump is another NYC blowhard. Being able so schmooze up the President is a nice hidden power while in the minority.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
more to the point, any political win that lets chuck n' nancy hold the debate on their terms ('you really gonna cut the budget for ___ right now?) in public and bleeds the opposition while running out the clock on Trump before he's indicted.

this is not a small win. 3 months might be the difference.

Emarv

We sorta lucked into Schumer coming to the top precisely when the only personality that knows how to deal with Trump is another NYC blowhard. Being able so schmooze up the President is a nice hidden power while in the minority.

A Harry Reid-Trump relationship would have been totally different, that's for sure.

Saw an article today about Forward Majority, a new PAC focusing on flipping state legislatures starting with Virginia this November and got me thinking about it.

This is what the state legislatures look like as of today (yellow means split control):

gzRYFIr.png

(Note: Alaska House has a coalition government made up of 17 Democrats, 3 Republicans and 2 Independents to 18 Republicans. The Speaker and Majority Leader are both Democrats)

This is what I want it to look like after the 2020 elections:

bDJP77D.png

You get this result by:

+3 seats in the Arizona Senate
+1 seat in the Colorado Senate
+5 seats in the Florida Senate
+6 seats in the Iowa Senate
+1 seat in the Maine Senate
+9 seats in the Michigan House of Representatives
+11 seats in the Minnesota House of Representatives, +1 seat in the Minnesota Senate
+28 seats in the New Hampshire House of Representatives, +3 in the New Hampshire Senate
+8 seats in the New York Senate (we actually have a nominal majority here, so alternatively we just get our shit together and welcome the IDC and Simcha Felder back into the fold)
+17 seats in the Virginia House of Delegates, +1 in the Virginia Senate
+1 seat in the Washington Senate (same deal as New York, except it's just one turncoat Democrat ruining everything, we can actually win this chamber back in November)
+4 seats in the Wisconsin Senate

That's right, just winning 99 races between now and 2020 gives us total control in 7 more states (Colorado, Maine, Minnesota, New Hampshire, New York, Virginia and Washington) while forcing the GOP to go halfsies with us in 5 (Arizona, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin). With the exception of Arizona we've held all of these chambers within the last decade.

This is ignoring gubernatorial control as well, which means we can stake out some power even in states like Ohio and Pennsylvania which are gerrymandered beyond salvation.

AI rights are going to be a whole big ordeal when we need to cross that bridge.

Related, but Deus Ex has always made me wonder if augmentation rights could one day be a big issue. Especially if we get to the point where augmentations could allow a person to do things your ordinary person couldn't, or the fear of weapon mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom