• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

One thing that confuses me a bit...

Why does it matter that Trump agreed with Democrats on 3 months? Isn't this still something congress needs to pass, and the GOP can do what they they want?

The GOP hates voting on the debt ceiling, because it means siding with Dems over conservative nutjobs who have no qualms about the U.S. defaulting on its debt. So the less often the GOP has to vote on this, the better for their leadership. Kicking this can down the road only three months, instead of 18 like Ryan and McConnell wanted, means they're going to have to have this fight all over again much sooner than they want.

It also extends the amount of leverage Dems have in talks on budget, taxes, DACA, etc. by giving them another quick opportunity to have leverage at all.

kcp12304

Banned
The GOP hates voting on the debt ceiling, because it means siding with Dems over conservative nutjobs who have no qualms about the U.S. defaulting on its debt. So the less often the GOP has to vote on this, the better for their leadership. Kicking this can down the road only three months, instead of 18 like Ryan and McConnell wanted, means they're going to have to have this fight all over again much sooner than they want.

It also extends the amount of leverage Dems have in talks on budget, taxes, DACA, etc. by giving them another quick opportunity to have leverage at all.

Especially during an Election year where those conservative nut jobs will primary them from the right with the debt issue and they risk blowback from the issue if the govenrment shuts down.

pigeon

Banned
This is actually a problem the DSA needs to deal with.

To be clear on this, it's fine to support BDS, I guess, but the DSA should probably explicitly recognize Israel's right to exist and Israeli citizens having the right to safety and self-determination, and not record videos of them chanting slogans about removing Israel from the map. Otherwise this will just continue to be a problem for them.

To be clear on this, it's fine to support BDS, I guess, but the DSA should probably explicitly recognize Israel's right to exist and Israeli citizens having the right to safety and self-determination, and not record videos of them chanting slogans about removing Israel from the map. Otherwise this will just continue to be a problem for them.
What qualifies here as Israel?

Serious question, not trolling.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

This is a problem and also I sort of am unsure if I agree with BDS as "the solution" to Israel. Is there any example of "an economic attack on figures of power in a foreign government" that doesn't work by basically making things economically worse for all the citizens and hoping it trickles up?

I look forward to Zuck trying to explain why he let his company profit from Russian accounts paying for ad space for fake news during the 2016 election.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't really get trump here. He could have gotten any rethuglican deal. It really seems like he was just out to spite the republicans.

I think this is bizarre. If they weren't shjtheads they'd disown him and do their own thing.

I look forward to Zuck trying to explain why he let his company profit from Russian accounts paying for ad space for fake news during the 2016 election.

I'm pretty sure his bullshit in Hawaii alone would make him unelectable.

His only role in the primary would be to make Tulsi Gabbard or Nina Turner more appealing by comparison.

This is a problem and also I sort of am unsure if I agree with BDS as "the solution" to Israel. Is there any example of "an economic attack on figures of power in a foreign government" that doesn't work by basically making things economically worse for all the citizens and hoping it trickles up?
BDS is modeled after anti-apartheid South African sanctions and is supported by the African National Congress (South Africa's legislature) so there is that.

For what it's worth, these same arguments were used by conservatives against sanctioning South Africa before the end of apartheid.

studyguy

S U C K THE Z U C C 2020

Still wrapping my head around the Dems completely bending the GOP and Trump over with so little resistance.

pigeon

Banned
What qualifies here as Israel?

Serious question, not trolling.

I believe it's a serious question but I'm not sure how to answer it!

My position is that Israel has no right to maintain the occupied territory in a state of occupation. If it is part of Israel, then the people in it are Israeli citizens with the right to safety, freedom from persecution, and democratic self-determination, as guaranteed by Israeli law. If it is not part of Israel, then it is its own country, and the people who reside there obviously have a right to govern themselves.

I don't really care which direction they go in. The people there may have an opinion. But I think international law, and Israeli law, really demands that one of the two be the case.

What I'm wondering is Obamacare now officially safe for the rest of the year or will congress devote more time and resources to repeal after today?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Senate Approps just reported out a bill that fully funds the State Department and prohibits any attempt to close USAID or reorganize the State Department without notification and review from the Inspector General and Government Accountability Office.

DJET9KDXkAAlzaD.jpg

https://twitter.com/RobBerschinski/status/905527129298874369

Get fucked, Rex
This seems good if it can pass. Would Trump dare veto?

I don't really get trump here. He could have gotten any rethuglican deal. It really seems like he was just out to spite the republicans.

I think this is bizarre. If they weren't shjtheads they'd disown him and do their own thing.
Trump is super lazy and can't be bothered to learn a damn thing about how governance or legislation works. He also must know on some level that the House/Senate Republicans are an absolute mess and can't agree on a damn thing, even when it's the bare minimum required for maintaining a government. He just wants anything he can call a win at this point, even if involves ceding ground to Democrats.

Slizeezyc

Joke's on you, he'll be at a truck stop with real Americans, he won't have time for those sorts of questions.

faisal233

So do SuperPacs pay their employees out of contributions? I'm thinking about starting on to primary Schumer & pay myself 99.99% of the contributions.

I believe it's a serious question but I'm not sure how to answer it!

My position is that Israel has no right to maintain the occupied territory in a state of occupation. If it is part of Israel, then the people in it are Israeli citizens with the right to safety, freedom from persecution, and democratic self-determination, as guaranteed by Israeli law. If it is not part of Israel, then it is its own country, and the people who reside there obviously have a right to govern themselves.

I don't really care which direction they go in. The people there may have an opinion. But I think international law, and Israeli law, really demands that one of the two be the case.
I think this dodges what the most important question I have here: does Israel have the right to maintain itself as an ethnostate?

FyreWulff

he'll literally turn on anyone lol

pigeon

Banned
I think this dodges what the most important question I have here: does Israel have the right to maintain itself as an ethnostate?

Israel isn't an ethnostate. It's a theocratic republic. It has just as much right to be a theocratic republic as all the theocratic republics it neighbors.

Vixdean

At this point, I'm putting anyone who still thinks the Trump campaign didn't collude with Russians to disseminate damaging material about Hillary Clinton in the same category as flat earthers and people who believe in Santa Claus.

Israel isn't an ethnostate. It's a theocratic republic. It has just as much right to be a theocratic republic as all the theocratic republics it neighbors.
I'll be honest: I'm still not really following you? When you say Israel has a right to exist, do you mean that if Israel opposed Palestinian right of return and considers maintaining its status as a Jewish majority state a necessary precondition of peace that it is immoral to demand Palestinian right of return? I'm honestly not following here.

edit: so honest I had to repeat the same phrase like an anagram

double edit: fuck I meant palindrome

At this point, right of return is such a logistical nightmare that there's real, concrete issues standing in the way above and beyond any ethical questions.

I try not to talk about Israel too much on here. It gets... pretty heated.

But I do think that Israel should have the right to exist as a Jewish state. I understand the reasons why ethnostates are a bad idea in the abstract, and I honestly can't muster much of an argument against them, but there's about... 3000 years of abuse and oppression and attempted genocide against Jews. I think we have to call a Jewish state a proven necessity.

kirblar

I'll be honest: I'm still not really following you? When you say Israel has a right to exist, do you mean that if Israel opposed Palestinian right of return and considers maintaining its status as a Jewish majority state a necessary precondition of peace that it is immoral to demand Palestinian right of return? I'm honestly not following here.

edit: so honest I had to repeat the same phrase like an anagram

double edit: fuck I meant palindrome
There is nothing "unclear" about what Pigeon is saying.

The Israeli people have the right to not be run over by their neighbors just as the Palestinians have the right to their own country and to not be forced to live in an apartheid state.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
man, that debt ceiling deal really fucked with the GOP didn't it?

https://twitter.com/LouDobbs/status/905578866730815488

Lou Dobbs said:
I'm talking about Speaker Paul Ryan, his obsequious deference to corporate lobbyists and unbridled hostility toward President Trump

I'm sorry... what?

1) Is this idiot really trying to say Paul Ryan shows any kind of hostility toward Trump?

2) "RINO Ryan" ... lol, Paul Ryan is like boilerplate Republican. What's even crazier about calling Paul Ryan that is that apparently he views Trump as a true Republican. If that's the case... hoo boy

Ogodei

Maybe this is the way to defang "Pelosi's puppet" attack ads in the future. Trumpkins will get confused about why that's a bad thing.

Trouble

Banned
I'm sorry... what?

1) Is this idiot really trying to say Paul Ryan shows any kind of hostility toward Trump?

2) "RINO Ryan" ... lol, Paul Ryan is like boilerplate Republican. What's even crazier about calling Paul Ryan that is that apparently he views Trump as a true Republican. If that's the case... hoo boy

Lou Dobbs is a doddering old racist, siding with another doddering old racist is only natural for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom