• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.
man, that debt ceiling deal really fucked with the GOP didn't it?

https://twitter.com/LouDobbs/status/905578866730815488

YIGbh6nDj62vt7EQ6VRKKeCaJU8=.gif

leroidys

All polls matter.

Speaking of polls, EPIC-MRA polled in Michigan and found Trump with a 35-62 approval spread. Given the closeness of the race last year I'd have to consider it Democrats' number one pickup.

OH SHIT GUYS DAVE REICHERT (WA-8) IS RETIRING, PICKUP AHOY

https://twitter.com/deirdrewalshcnn/status/905459342404710400

Went for Clinton 48-45 and Obama 50-48

a little late but Reichert retiring is a (pnw) MEGATON. guaranteed pickup

Definitely not guaranteed. The 8th is pretty rural. Gone D the past few presidential elections, but have literally never elected a D Rep. Would feel better about the seat if it wasn't a non-presidential election. Clinton only won there by 3 points (compare that to the 7th district where she won by 70).

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I remember when Dobbs was on CNN, he basically went nuts and became obsessed with how "illegal immigrants were ruining the country". Like that was every episode. I don't think it's hard to see why he'd be pro-Trump.

Damn... Hannity opening monologue tonight was really soft-neutral on Democrats including Kelly Anne Conway. Even Obama was mentioned in an ever so slightly positive light. Both threw tons of shade at Republicans in congress.

Fox318

Probably trying to finish the takeover of the Republican party by Trumpism

By working with Democrats and giving up leverage with the debt ceiling?

Trump could have tied the Dreamer act with payment for the wall if he wanted too and the funding of the government would have been thing ticking time bomb to get it done.

Instead he gives up that leverage for no real reason other than trying to make GOP leadership bend a knee after they defend him from targeting the most important demographic (Hispanic voters).

pigeon

Banned
I'll be honest: I'm still not really following you? When you say Israel has a right to exist, do you mean that if Israel opposed Palestinian right of return and considers maintaining its status as a Jewish majority state a necessary precondition of peace that it is immoral to demand Palestinian right of return? I'm honestly not following here.

edit: so honest I had to repeat the same phrase like an anagram

double edit: fuck I meant palindrome

This question makes me think that maybe we have pretty different framings on this. In particular, I think I would need to understand exactly what you mean by "demanding Palestinian right of return" and why you believe it is in conflict with Israel's right to exist.

In the event of a two-state solution, presumably the Palestinian citizens would be citizens of Palestine and wouldn't have any need to return to Israel.

In the event of a one-state solution, sure, the Palestinians would need to have the right to return to Israel.

If Israel considers being a Jewish majority state a fundamental necessity, I don't have a problem with that. As noted, there are plenty of Islamic republics in the area and we don't generally deny their right to democratically choose to be theocracies. It would be incumbent on Israel, then, to make choices that do not make that necessity impossible. Absorbing the occupied territory into Israel would seem to do that.

In terms of the return of land and property, obviously the question is more complicated. It is not clear to me how such a return could be effected in a way that is just and equitable to the Israeli people who currently possess the land and property. How would you propose such an action take place? I'm not sure that I would call that demand immoral, exactly, but I would not myself make such a demand. Reparations seem like a more practical discussion, although I have occasionally heard it said that property is a capitalist myth.

Definitely not guaranteed. The 8th is pretty rural. Gone D the past few presidential elections, but have literally never elected a D Rep. Would feel better about the seat if it wasn't a non-presidential election. Clinton only won there by 3 points (compare that to the 7th district where she won by 70).

I mean, if Democrats can't win here, it's extremely embarrassing.

The district went for Gore/Kerry/Obama x2/Clinton, and Clinton by a larger margin than Obama 2012. It's an open seat in what looks like will be a great environment for dems. Yes, it's largely rural, but as we can see from then presidential results, land doesn't vote.

If Dems can't win this seat, it's a terrible night for Democrats and we should cancel the party.

What is the angle here?

With all the hot air he blows I can't really follow anything he says to see much of a coherent angle but he basically did his routine blah blah blah thing about Mcconnell failing the president and the working people, partisan swamp, etc. He mentioned Democrats a couple times in a neutral non-partisan way. He then brought Kelly on who mentioned how even Obama recognized congress' duty to lead on immigration and that's why Trump gave a six month extension on Daca before ending it.

Grexeno

I mean, if Democrats can't win here, it's extremely embarrassing.

The district went for Gore/Kerry/Obama x2/Clinton, and Clinton by a larger margin than Obama 2012. It's an open seat in what looks like will be a great environment for dems. Yes, it's largely rural, but as we can see from then presidential results, land doesn't vote.

If Dems can't win this seat, it's a terrible night for Democrats and we should cancel the party.
Literally never elected a D Rep.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

Trump could have tied the Dreamer act with payment for the wall if he wanted too and the funding of the government would have been thing ticking time bomb to get it done.

Instead he gives up that leverage for no real reason other than trying to make GOP leadership bend a knee after they defend him from targeting the most important demographic (Hispanic voters).

By pushing the talking point that "establishment" Republicans can't accomplish anything but Trump can when he doesn't have to rely on them.

I think it's fairly clear that most people identifying as a Republican post-2016 don't give 2 fucks about policy, so it would make sense that they don't really care about what Trump is actually trying to pass. They largely take cues from high profile followers of Trumpism and Trump himself

The attorney general of Mississippi has only been a Republican once in the mid 1800s but please don't tell me that a Democrat would be favored to win if Jim Hood died tomorrow just because "the seat has only elected a republican once over 150 years ago."

Also you realize that maps change and WA-8 looks different now than it has in the past, yes?

EDIT: THIS DISTRICT HAS ONLY EXISTED IN NUMBER SINCE 1982

This is why local elections are always more volatile. People use different metrics for electing Governors and Reps than Presidents and Senators. I live in VT and we haven't voted for a Republican in the General since what, Reagan? Nixon maybe? Yet it's not uncommon for Republicans to win Gubernatorial elections. A lot of people will vote for different parties for their own government than they will for the national government. VT overwhelmingly votes for Democratic candidates for President, but Phil Scott still won the Gubernatorial race.

I voted for Scott.

This is why local elections are always more volatile. People use different metrics for electing Governors and Reps than Presidents and Senators. I live in VT and we haven't voted for a Republican in the General since what, Reagan? Nixon maybe? Yet it's not uncommon for Republicans to win Gubernatorial elections. A lot of people will vote for different parties for their own government than they will for the national government. VT overwhelmingly votes for Democratic candidates for President, but Phil Scott still won the Gubernatorial race.

I voted for Scott.

And House races have become hyper partisan and are directly correlated compared to a gubernatorial race! All federal races are.

A house race is not "local".

And House races have become hyper partisan and are directly correlated compared to a gubernatorial race! All federal races are.

A house race is not "local".

It's a lot more local than something like a Senate race. It's confined to a specific district. I realize my experience with them is skewed since most of VTs elections are statewide due to low population.

It's a lot more local than something like a Senate race. It's confined to a specific district. I realize my experience with them is skewed since most of VTs elections are statewide due to low population.

It's not. It's directly correlated with presidential performance. And we're not talking about a seat with an incumbent, which provides an advantage (though a diminished one!)

studyguy

After that Lou Dobbs segment....

LIBERAL ICON JOHN MCCAIN

CONSERVATIVE ICON NANCY PELOSI

"Schumer is the true conservative' - Hannity later tonight, probably.

We've reached bizzaro America

This Facebook story is very interesting. I hope the Congressional committees are keeping up with it.

They are fools who listen to what the shouty (wo)man says on the boob tube to do to be a good Conservative. They don't even realize the Dems are the only winning politicians here and Trump got betaed YET again.

The buried lede here is that this pushes the upcoming civil war in the GOP ranks closer to its Fort Sumter. Imagine the insanity if Trump's administration implodes and his low-info voters are soured on rank-and-file GOP that don't bang the MAGA drum, or the Doofus stirs up a bunch of primary challengers that manage to knock off some that more moderate GOP voters will be less than thrilled with (Corey Stewart types).

Fox318

This Facebook story is very interesting. I hope the Congressional committees are keeping up with it.

They are fools who listen to what the shouty (wo)man says on the boob tube to do to be a good Conservative. They don't even realize the Dems are the only winning politicians here and Trump got betaed YET again.

The buried lede here is that this pushes the upcoming civil war in the GOP ranks closer to its Fort Sumter. Imagine the insanity if Trump's administration implodes and his low-info voters are soured on rank-and-file GOP that don't bang the MAGA drum, or the Doofus stirs up a bunch of primary challengers that manage to knock off some that more moderate GOP voters will be less than thrilled with (Corey Stewart types).
Except doesn't he need that support with the investigation looking?

Plus he's clearly pissing off Wall Street and if he fucks up Tax reform who is left to call Trump Friend? Fox News?

kirblar

As long as his main job is the same don't really care about him being a guest lecturer.
If you're an active player, you generally don't do guest commentary on your current job!

This is very very weird if he doesn't already have one foot out the door.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I remember when Dobbs was on CNN, he basically went nuts and became obsessed with how "illegal immigrants were ruining the country". Like that was every episode. I don't think it's hard to see why he'd be pro-Trump.

Funny story my mostly liberal black Grandmother got snuckered by Lou Dobbs propaganda on CNN. When I came here to complain about it and quoted what she said Dobbs said. I got my tag line that a pray no one ever takes seriously.

Atenhaus

HAH! Fuck you, Reichert.

With that being said, WA-8 is a huge district, with a suburban/rural split. I COULD see it flip to the Dems if places like Kent, Issaquah, Auburn, Maple Valley/Black Diamond/Covington, Orting, and Bonney Lake and other suburbs adjacent to Puget Sound gain enough people in the next year or so to effective counterbalance the vast swaths of rural and conservative towns in the Cascades/Central Washington that comprise the eastern half of the district.

tbh I'm more focused on regaining the state Senate than picking up the 8th at this point. *shrug*

I swear to God, Fox knowingly pulls this shit on purpose. Like when a Republican does something horrible and they "ACCIDENTALLY" put a D next to his name.

You know the ironic thing about Trump's presidency? If he weren't an evil, stupid racist, he could literally unite the country with his Pied Piper hold on middle America. If he truly wanted single payer healthcare, he could probably get it through as enough Republicans may march lock and step with him and the Democrats would be all for it.

Takuhi

EDIT: THIS DISTRICT HAS ONLY EXISTED IN NUMBER SINCE 1982

It's really only existed since 2010, when it was redistricted pretty significantly (although this made it more conservative).

It isn't largely rural at all, whyamihere, unless you mean by geography. The majority of the population is in once-rural areas that are now pricey Seattle suburbs. The conservatives here are very moderate and not Trump supporters. I expect a fairly easy Dem win in this environment.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
If democrats were smart they'd go on every morning show and weekend show saying they really wanted X (some thing they aren't going to get) with the Harvey Aid + CR + 3 month debt ceiling but that Trump "drove a hard bargain and made a deal they couldn't refuse."

Basically every time he hands the dems a win stroke his ego and he'll hand you more wins.

I swear to God, Fox knowingly pulls this shit on purpose. Like when a Republican does something horrible and they "ACCIDENTALLY" put a D next to his name.
This is intentional. It's a Lou Dobbs thing. He thinks he is being clever.

Next time try "DemocRATS! GET IT?!?!1"

If democrats were smart they'd go on every morning show and weekend show saying they really wanted X (some thing they aren't going to get) with the Harvey Aid + CR + 3 month debt ceiling but that Trump "drove a hard bargain and made a deal they couldn't refuse."

Basically every time he hands the dems a win stroke his ego and he'll hand you more wins.

In a nutshell yes. Dems need to go onto morning shows and blast the fact that they gave Trump a win here, something the Republican Congress and Senate couldn't do. Shout it from the mountaintops and start slipping Trump bills.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
In a nutshell yes. Dems need to go onto morning shows and blast the fact that they gave Trump a win here, something the Republican Congress and Senate couldn't do. Shout it from the mountaintops and start slipping Trump bills.
No no no. Trump got the win, it just happened to be something they could agree on. And they might have their arms twisted to help the president win again on something else they agree on.

All he cares about is winning and reversing obama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom