• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necrovex

DJTt6uEX0AAcqnT.jpg

lol

I typically love the NYTimes, but even I cringed when I saw this pop into my feed.

Trump upends the two party system after tweeting that Republicans need to end the filibuster so they can pass all their shitty legislation without Dems yesterday.

Crocodile

People are desperate for a 70 year old man to suddenly change his behavior. It's really something.

Coates had it right when he said the media refuses to admit the main appeal of Trump is the racism/sexism. "The country can't be THIS shitty! White Supremacy can't be this prevalent right? There must be something we aren't seeing right? Trump has to be a secret genius, say he was pretending this entire time and be good eventually right?"

wutwutwut

But it won't.

Trump is a terrible, shitty person. Does he LITERALLY have to shoot someone on 5th avenue before people get that?
He's a terrible, shitty, narcissistic, racist person who craves for good news coverage. I know because my dad is very similar to him in many ways and he loves watching the news. Trump also loves watching the news.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Coates had it right when he said the media refuses to admit the main appeal of Trump is the racism/sexism. "The country can't be THIS shitty! White Supremacy can't be this prevalent right? There must be something we aren't seeing right? Trump has to be a secret genius, say he was pretending this entire time and be good eventually right?"

It's not just the media, average people too. All those people on the left who are convinced Trump won because economics? Sure, some just want to push an agenda, but a lot of them just don't want to admit this is where we are, so they look for something or someone to blame.

Admitting this is where we are, that this is what we still are after all this time, it requires some people to completely rethink their views on the world. To rethink their views on the person next to them, on their friends, on their family.

It's easier to pretend Trump is a secret genius or that people were driven by economic anxiety or that another visit to Michigan would have solved everything, when the simple truth is that Trump became inevitable the second Obama came out and spoke about Michael Brown and how he could have been his son. Or that maybe Trump was always going to happen after Obama won in 2008.

Nelo Ice

Banned
It's not just the media, average people too. All those people on the left who are convinced Trump won because economics? Sure, some just want to push an agenda, but a lot of them just don't want to admit this is where we are, so they look for something or someone to blame.

Admitting this is where we are, that this is what we still are after all this time, it requires some people to completely rethink their views on the world. To rethink their views on the person next to them, on their friends, on their family.

It's easier to pretend Trump is a secret genius or that people were driven by economic anxiety or that another visit to Michigan would have solved everything, when the simple truth is that Trump became inevitable the second Obama came out and spoke about Michael Brown and how he could have been his son. Or that maybe Trump was always going to happen after Obama won in 2008.
Hell I'm brown and my sister doesn't like it when I say people are white supremacists. So it's like ok calling them nazis is ok but I'm going too far if I call a white supremacist a white supremacist?!.

royalan

This also explains a lot of the irrational hate still aimed at Hillary Clinton, who has been largely silent since the election (and yeah, sorry folks, but in September 2017, it's pretty fucking irrational).

This HAS to be all Hillary's fault. She HAS to be guilty of doing some obvious thing wrong. The DNC HAS to be corrupt and knew that she was THAT unlikable. ANYTHING to distract from the idea that maybe, just maybe, this country is that hateful and would be persuaded by someone peddling blatant racism.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This also explains a lot of the irrational hate still aimed at Hillary Clinton, who has been largely silent since the election (and yeah, sorry folks, but in September 2017, it's pretty fucking irrational).

This HAS to be all Hillary's fault. She HAS to be guilty of doing some obvious thing wrong. The DNC HAS to be corrupt and knew that she was THAT unlikable. ANYTHING to distract from the idea that maybe, just maybe, this country is that hateful and would be persuaded by someone peddling blatant racism.

It's the Clinton people blaming Bernie, the Bernie people blaming Clinton, everyone blaming the Russians, anything to avoid the fact that even with all that shit Trump would never have won if the country wasn't filled with hateful, racist, sexist bastards.

The fact is a ton of Americans suck hardcore, more than we thought they did. If they didn't then we all would have united against Trump like France did against le Pen in the second round of voting.

kirblar

If the recent approval polls are any indication people seem to be buying into the pivot.

Either that or having him shut his yap on Twitter is effective at making people forget he's an asshole.
(This is also directed at Sanders/Clinton)

NewFresh

NYT losing it over trump siding with democrats on one occasion gives me "today he became the president" vibes. It's even been coming through in their Daily podcast.

How short are people's memories? Man tries to kill millions of people on multiple occasions, but then made a compromise once so he is just the best.

kirblar

NYT losing it over trump siding with democrats on one occasion gives me "today he became the president" vibes. It's even been coming through in their Daily podcast.

How short are people's memories? Man tries to kill millions of people on multiple occasions, but then made a compromise once so he is just the best.
Journalism is a very white industry.

NewFresh

Journalism is a very white industry.
I'm not even asking that they perpetually shit on him, or avoid any kind of objective reporting when he might do something not awful. But this lavished praise for something that may lead to positive results is something else.

Clefargle

Ugh. Listening to Lovett or Leaveit...I like Lovett for his rants, but God is this dude desperate to see Trump as cool.

It seems like a lot of media types are getting fatigued with dealing with reporting Trumps utter nonsense 24/7. Many very left figures constantly act to normalize him in some way and thus break the tension.

Ogodei

Being young as he is you could reasonably see a run in the 2030s or 2040s, but we'll have gone through a sea-change by then.

JFK was only 6 years older than him when he became POTUS though

Also I always thought it was so funny how athletes in their mid to late 30s/early 40s look ancient. But politicians of a similar age look like children.

kirblar

JFK was only 6 years older than him when he became POTUS though
There's a big generational backlog among the Dems. Biden/Clinton/Sanders/etc clogged up the pipeline and Harris/Gillibrand/Brown/etc. are just now ascending when they should've already been there. He's a generation under them and trying to jump in line doesn't make sense.

Maledict

There's a big generational backlog among the Dems. Biden/Clinton/Sanders/etc clogged up the pipeline and Harris/Gillibrand/Brown/etc. are just now ascending when they should've already been there. He's a generation under them and trying to jump in line doesn't make sense.

People who wait for "their time" in presidential politics always seem to fail. And last time someone jumped the queue it worked out pretty well.

If he's capable of doing the job and winning the election there's no reason he shouldn't throw his hat in the ring. There's nothing inherently better about him being 15 years older.

In 2008, it was Clinton's "turn" and Obama was being pressured to wait until 2012 or 2016 to run. I don't think we should discourage young people from running for president if there's a good chance they can win.

kirblar

People who wait for "their time" in presidential politics always seem to fail. And last time someone jumped the queue it worked out pretty well.

If he's capable of doing the job and winning the election there's no reason he shouldn't throw his hat in the ring. There's nothing inherently better about him being 15 years older.
He's currently a representative. He's not going to have the base of support/influence/etc. to pull off the campaign right now.

That generational backlog should be flushed out after 2020. At that point the coast should be clear for him to run if he chooses. It's not about waiting for "his time", its about not pulling a Tim Ryan and charging straight into a Tsunami trying to punch it away.

Ogodei

He's currently a representative. He's not going to have the base of support/influence/etc. to pull off the campaign right now.

That generational backlog should be flushed out after 2020. At that point the coast should be clear for him to run if he chooses. It's not about waiting for "his time", its about not pulling a Tim Ryan and charging straight into a Tsunami trying to punch it away.

Tim Ryan's problem is more representing the rump end of the party. Not ideologically but geographically. My bet is that if Ohio eliminates a congressional district in 2022, it's going to be his.

It's not even a problem of him line-jumping but more that he has no future, like if Darrell Issa was still in the running for a leadership position (though he could move to a safe district in CA).

I'm not pushing for him to run any time soon but I think it will be possible seeing him around 2024/2028 rather than 20+ years from now

royalan

Joe Kennedy runs he loses. And I predict he'll lose in the same way that Kerry did, and Gore did, and Dukkakis did, and...oh god please lets not make the same mistake again.

Kennedy is handsome, and white, and young, with The Look of a President...but he's also overly practiced, too cautious, and sounds phony as hell when he gives those speeches that read so well on paper.

That isn't "it." That's fake "it." That's the "it" television dramas have been telling us our President should be, but not who are president ever actually is.

If Joe Kennedy wants to run, he needs to find a way to loosen up.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
No more Kennedys, no more Clintons, no more Bushes. The obsession with dynasties in American politics is frankly deeply unhealthy.

No more Kennedys, no more Clintons, no more Bushes. The obsession with dynasties in American politics is frankly deeply unhealthy.

I think calling them dynasties is a bit of a over-exaggeration in a gross way.

I get some of the concern but ultimately am not afraid of another kennedy, clinton, or obama being elected to the white house.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

This is the worst talking point I have heard in ages. A Kennedy hasn't been president in decades. Nobody is going to go, "Well, but Ted Kennedy..."

Yeah, you know what basically this. I like him but maybe he should just stick to being governor or the senate or something.

Also while JFK is fondly remembered, Random Kennedy family member is not. The brand their is more damaged anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom