• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT6| Made this thread during Harvey because the ratings would be higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodstyle

The book is so good guys.

DJhmcrxUQAIrde3.jpg

I also love how Hillary identifies with Cersei on GoT. Easily the best character on the show.

Emarv

People just want Hillary to go away and act like she never existed.

Don't come out in public. Don't publish books. Don't make speeches.

Just not exist.

I guess I was specifically referring to Dems and Hillary supporters. Dems want their candidates to feel human in some way. I think the most casual and human she ever felt was during the Dem convention on that video in her house. That's the Hillary at least I wanted more of. Still do.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The book is so good guys.

DJhmcrxUQAIrde3.jpg

I also love how Hillary identifies with Cersei on GoT. Easily the best character on the show.

Cersei Lannister is a monster, so either she's really not speaking highly of herself at all or she hasn't actually read or watched it and she reached for the reference (ding ding).

Cersei Lannister is a monster, so either she's really not speaking highly of herself at all or she hasn't actually read or watched it and she reached for the reference (ding ding).

Or someone can identify/emphasize with one moment without taking on all the characteristics of that character.

Vixdean

That's a pretty narrow perspective of Cersei's character. Sure, she's done some monstrous things but more broadly she was a strong woman born into a strictly patriarchal society where woman are basically nothing but chattel to be traded for alliances. She did what she felt was necessary to not only survive, but realize her ambitions and protect her family. I could totally see how Hillary and many other woman could identify with her character, while stopping short of the murderous impulses.

That's a pretty narrow perspective of Cersei's character. Sure, she's done some monstrous things but more broadly she was a strong woman born into a strictly patriarchal society where woman are basically nothing but chattel to be traded for alliances. She did what she felt was necessary to not only survive, but realize her ambitions and protect her family. I could totally see how Hillary and many other woman could identify with her character, while stopping short of the murderous impulses.

Maybe in the books she's more nuanced, but the show is reaching cartoon villain levels.

It's a little-known fact that Hillary Clinton has never actually consumed any media. If she ever makes a reference to anything you've ever seen or read, know that she only knew what that was because Huma sensually whispered it into her ear and told her it would make her more approachable.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Or someone can identify/emphasize with one moment without taking on all the characteristics of that character.
Basically. That excerpt says nothing about identifying with the character at all points of the story.

Goodstyle

Maybe in the books she's more nuanced, but the show is reaching cartoon villain levels.

She's far more cartoony in the books, and is far more nuanced on the show.

In the books, she comes across as mentally ill and irrationally evil, on the show you can see some real depth shine through, although a lot of that has to do with Lena Headey's performance.

During the scene where she
kills Ellaria Sands' daughter, there's a part where she honestly asks why her own daughter had to die, and that was genuinely one of the more emotional moments of the series.

She's more nuanced in the books, less of a one dimensional comic villain. Nearly everyone is one dimensional on the show.

It would be easy to say "ha, another failed Clinton attempt at pop culture references, who wrote that for her!" but the quote makes sense in context. She's not Cersei, nor has she committed any crimes....yet she was still treated like Cersei.

She's far more cartoony in the books, and is far more nuanced on the show.

In the books, she comes across as mentally ill and irrationally evil, on the show you can see some real depth shine through, although a lot of that has to do with Lena Headey's performance.

During the scene where she
kills Ellaria Sands' daughter, there's a part where she honestly asks why her own daughter had to die, and that was genuinely one of the more emotional moments of the series.

I completely disagree. In the books, we get her internal thoughts as a POV character so we see her original naivety when she believed in courtly love, and we learn about how she shifted into a woman who does what she can to gain power in a society that explicitly forbids it.

The main difference I remember from Cersei in the books is that she's like 1000x dumber than how she's portrayed in the show.

I only watched the first couple seasons though because that's where the books start to get worse and it cuts out Lady Stoneheart.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Stinkles, is this what your psychic barber was talking about? Ben Wittes gave it a "Boom!" on Twitter.

Sort of. He/She said that's connected to something else Trump did this morning, that is going to play out "EXTRA" crazy, but I just got to work and all I see is some stupid tweets. We lost power in the house last night some I'm a bit behind. Did he do anything related to Jared/Russia?

I completely disagree. In the books, we get her internal thoughts as a POV character so we see her original naivety when she believed in courtly love, and we learn about how she shifted into a woman who does what she can to gain power in a society that explicitly forbids it.

She's actually a real person with feelings, internal conflict, and even some subtlety in the books. In the show she literally wears all black, like some Dark Lord, and has the same emotion/face in every scene.

First comment on that Newsweek article is amazing. Trump isn’t under investigation because Mueller’s grand juries are not in New York. Also Trump is personally dismantling the Russian influence network within the U.S.

Goodstyle

A lot of her disappointment on what women can do in society is there in the show. The book though, makes her come across as deeply ill.

Book Cersei:
-Regularly drinks herself into passing out.
-Hooks up with every man or woman that will have her.
-Makes constant stupid, irrational and demented decisions.
-Murders her best friend as a child for a stupid paranoid reason. This is important because this happens while she was "naive".
-Literally burns a tower down because she thought Tyrion could be hiding in the walls.
- Orders the slaughter of all of Robert's bastard children, while in the show Joffrey did that without consulting her.
- Gives random women to Qyburn for him to experiment on.
A lot of people who are saying "the book version is better", are using it as a default. Book Cersei isn't more well written, or "deep", she's just crazy. Show Cersei is written with a lot more nuance and genuine love for her family. Believe it or not, she had tender moments with Tyrion on the show, and she did genuinely love her kids.

She's actually a real person with feelings, internal conflict, and even some subtlety in the books. In the show she literally wears all black, like some Dark Lord, and has the same emotion/face in every scene.

In the show she had an actual arc where she became less and less tethered to her love of her family, where her desire for power cost her everything and became a darker person. Meanwhile book Cersei
straight up murdered her own friend as a child and ordered the deaths of countless babies.
I'm not saying book Cersei is bad, because her sick inner thoughts are the best parts of both books where they feature, but to suggest she is more nuanced and a more well rounded character is ridiculous.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Yeah, obviously. Just wouldn't be my choice of a character to compare myself to. If you got rejected from an art program would you say "ah, this must have been how Hitler felt?"

Hyperbole, of course, but only slightly, considering Cersei directly ordered the murder of a bunch of children in the books on top of all the other awful shit she's done.

A lot of people who are saying "the book version is better", are using it as a default. Book Cersei isn't more well written, or "deep", she's just crazy. Show Cersei is written with a lot more nuance and genuine love for her family. Believe it or not, she had tender moments with Tyrion on the show, and she did genuinely love her kids.

But a mentally ill woman is a better and more well written character than basically a cartoon villain. And there's absolutely no doubt in the books that Cersei loves her children.

Armaros

I guess I was specifically referring to Dems and Hillary supporters. Dems want their candidates to feel human in some way. I think the most casual and human she ever felt was during the Dem convention on that video in her house. That's the Hillary at least I wanted more of. Still do.

Because anytime she looked human, her detractors on both sides claim she was pretending and pandering. And not just from 2016

First comment on that Newsweek article is amazing. Trump isn’t under investigation because Mueller’s grand juries are not in New York. Also Trump is personally dismantling the Russian influence network within the U.S.

the mental gymnastics these people are doing; I find are the same Mental Gymnastics that Conspiracy theory people believe. just scratching my head

She really does come across as human, though. The tech they used for her must be amazing. :'(

What's really sad is the number of troll reviews of her book on Amazon. 30+ reviews last I checked this morning, either whining that she won't go away, complaining that it was entirely her fault the Dems lost, or wibbling about how Bernie was better. I'd say it's highly likely that Russia's got accounts spamming negative reviews of her book to undercut its value.

Well, I paid my $16.19 at least.

Goodstyle

Yeah, obviously. Just wouldn't be my choice of a character to compare myself to. If you got rejected from an art program would you say "ah, this must have been how Hitler felt?"

Hyperbole, of course, but only slightly, considering Cersei directly ordered the murder of a bunch of children in the books on top of all the other awful shit she's done.

But a mentally ill woman is a better and more well written character than basically a cartoon villain. And there's absolutely no doubt in the books that Cersei loves her children.

In the books, Cersei's love of her children and her brother is more about her own narcissism. She doesn't know a thing about her kids really, and only sees them as extensions of herself. And you can't just say mental illness on its own makes a character more nuanced since book Cersei was
a murderer from like, age 10
. That isn't more complex, that's just a monster who came into the world a monster.

While in the show they flesh out why she feels the way that she does about her own children. Even Joffrey! I mean, the show even fleshes out her marriage with Robert.

greatgeek

Banned
"You will live in the White House, for a time. You will not like it. You will try to re-enter it again two more times. On your last attempt, you will be struck down by an Orange man wielding your mail as a weapon."
"You will not be President, but you will be Queen."

Documents reveal Putin's plan for a reset with Trump:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnhudson...document-shows?utm_term=.gdgvbJzVo#.hozPrxXjv

WASHINGTON – In the third month of Donald Trump’s presidency, Vladimir Putin dispatched one of his diplomats to the State Department to deliver a bold proposition: The full normalization of relations between the United States and Russia across all major branches of government.

The proposal, spelled out in a detailed document obtained by BuzzFeed News, called for the wholesale restoration of diplomatic, military and intelligence channels severed between the two countries after Russia’s military interventions in Ukraine and Syria.

The broad scope of the Kremlin’s reset plan came with an ambitious launch date: immediately.

More at the link.

A lot of her disappointment on what women can do in society is there in the show. The book though, makes her come across as deeply ill.

Book Cersei:
-Regularly drinks herself into passing out.
-Hooks up with every man or woman that will have her.
-Makes constant stupid, irrational and demented decisions.
-Murders her best friend as a child for a stupid paranoid reason. This is important because this happens while she was "naive".
-Literally burns a tower down because she thought Tyrion could be hiding in the walls.
- Orders the slaughter of all of Robert's bastard children, while in the show Joffrey did that without consulting her.
- Gives random women to Qyburn for him to experiment on.

In the show she had an actual arc where she became less and less tethered to her love of her family, where her desire for power cost her everything and became a darker person. Meanwhile book Cersei
straight up murdered her own friend as a child and ordered the deaths of countless babies.
I'm not saying book Cersei is bad, because her sick inner thoughts are the best parts of both books where they feature, but to suggest she is more nuanced and a more well rounded character is ridiculous.

She's becoming an alcoholic, and everything she hates (Robert). How that constitutes one dimensional is beyond me.

She makes terrible decisions, no doubt, especially when mad. She's also made some deft political decisions, like getting rid of Loras. But overall yea, she's not a good ruler. You could argue she's smarter in the show, in fact.

Having Robert's bastards murdered wasn't some comic villain act, it's something multiple characters have ordered to preserve the crown or show loyalty.

She burned the Tower to mark an end of her father's era, and the beginning of a new one; she knew Tyrion was still alive elsewhere, in fact immediately afterward she ordered his assassination and promised a lordship to anyone who carried it out.

Ultimately she is a woman consumed by her own paranoia, and also a woman who has overcome a society specifically designed to limit her ability. Given that even her own family members attempt to usurp her power and position, her paranoia is understandable. She knows she's a woman and what it means in that society. She's also an emotionally damaged character constantly trying to live up to her name, her father's legacy, and to protect her children by any means necessary.

chadskin

pigeon

Banned
The problem here really is that Game of Thrones is tedious sexist drivel and you guys just filled this entire thread with it

Blader

She wears all black because it looks fucking great.

also in mourning for her dead children, blah blah

Kusagari

The Hillary interview shows once again why she's a terrible politician.

Fundamentally she didn't really say anything incorrect, but almost all of it came off horribly optics wise.

Goodstyle

She's becoming an alcoholic, and everything she hates (Robert). How that constitutes one dimensional is beyond me.

She makes terrible decisions, no doubt, especially when mad. She's also made some deft political decisions, like getting rid of Loras. But overall yea, she's not a good ruler. You could argue she's smarter in the show, in fact.

Having Robert's bastards murdered wasn't some comic villain act, it's something multiple characters have ordered to preserve the crown or show loyalty.

She burned the Tower to mark an end of her father's era, and the beginning of a new one; she knew Tyrion was still alive elsewhere, in fact immediately afterward she ordered his assassination and promised a lordship to anyone who carried it out.

Ultimately she is a woman consumed by her own paranoia, and also a woman who has overcome a society specifically designed to limit her ability. Given that even her own family members attempt to usurp her power and position, her paranoia is understandable. She knows she's a woman and what it means in that society. She's also an emotionally damaged character constantly trying to live up to her name, her father's legacy, and to protect her children by any means necessary.

1) My bad if I was wrong about the tower thing. I thought it was about Tyrion.
2) Book Cersei is defined by her paranoia true, which is what led to her actions as a kid and an adult, but those actions are way over the top when it comes to sex, drinking, and bloodlust (although show Cersei has done a lot of murdering herself, just less baby related). Book Cersei is one of the most extra characters in fiction, and a lot of one's perspective is based on how one feels about that.
3) A lot of what was said about Book Cersei applies to Show Cersei. She is also obsessed with living up to her father, fights her station as a woman, and is emotionally damaged. But show Cersei has a lot more humanizing scenes, while book Cersei muses about some truly profane shit. If we're talking about who's more over the top villainous though, I will have to give the edge to book Cersei for a lot of reasons.
4) I'll agree to disagree here and stop arguing because I feel like I've derailed the thread enough. Sorry guys.

Wouldn't be surprised if every Democrat who voted present on the single-payer vote a few months ago ended up co-sponsoring Bernie's bill. I believe that puts us at 43 (Tester, Manchin, Heitkamp, Donnelly and King were the ones who voted No explicitly).

Maybe those other five will jump on board if they win reelection. After all, they voted on the Conyers bill - they could point to some minor difference in the Sanders bill as reason enough to jump over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom