• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
laserbeam said:
The article says

Some 80,000 supporters will see Obama appear from between plywood columns painted off-white, reminiscent of Washington's Capitol building or even the White House, to accept the party's nomination for president.

He will stride out to a raised platform to a podium that can be raised from beneath the floor.

Err, yeah, like I said.

The podium will look different and rise from underneath the stage just like the current podium has done each and every night, and Obama will walk up to it.

GhaleonEB said:
I think that's what mckmas8808 is worried about. There's no way Obama would show up like that. I think it's just going to be a slighly elevated podium, which is pretty standard. The columns worry me though. They could look really silly.

I don't know, their entire set so far has looked incredible.

laserbeam

Banned
Shuster, Scarborough Fued
http://media.newsbusters.org/stories/scarborough-mocks-shuster-msnbc-for-no-bias-claims.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyW_-lf27Q
A news segment about Iraqi President al-Maliki's call for the withdrawal of US troops set off the skirmish. Shuster snidely suggested to Joe that "your party, the Republican party" mocks those who call for withdrawal. All hell ensued. The entire seven-minute exchange is worth viewing, but the highlight was Scarborough's challenge to Shuster and MSNBC at large over their independence.

JOE SCARBOROUGH: I will let you know that "my party," my party, loathes me, much more than your party, the Democratic party, loathes me.

DAVID SHUSTER: Well that's a whole 'nother issue, but the fact of the matter is --

SCARBOROUGH: No, it's not another issue, because you said --

SHUSTER: The party you served with in Congress have repeatedly suggested, they have ridiculed --

SCARBOROUGH: What about your party? What's your party? David Shuster, David: what's your party?

SHUSTER: I have no party. I'm a complete independent.

SCARBOROUGH: Oh, you're independent. Just like all --

SHUSTER: I'll show you my voting card. I'll show you how I'm registered later.

SCARBOROUGH: Oh, I feel so comforted by the fact that you're an independent. I bet everyone at MSNBC has "independent" on their voting cards. "Oh, we're down the middle now." Go ahead, David. No, no, go ahead. You're an independent David. Go ahead. Talk about my party. Go ahead.

reilo said:
Err, yeah, like I said.

The podium will look different and rise from underneath the stage just like the current podium has done each and every night, and Obama will walk up to it.

Yeah... thats fine... as long as Obama doesn't come from beneath like some rock star or something... then it shouldn't be anything but awesome.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
GhaleonEB said:
I think that's what mckmas8808 is worried about. There's no way Obama would show up like that. I think it's just going to be a slighly elevated podium, which is pretty standard. The columns worry me though. They could look really silly.

Yeah the columns worry me and the coming up out the floor like Micheal Jackson. This just sounds dumb and unneeded.

mckmas8808

laserbeam said:
Shuster, Scarborough Fued
http://media.newsbusters.org/stories/scarborough-mocks-shuster-msnbc-for-no-bias-claims.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adyW_-lf27Q
A news segment about Iraqi President al-Maliki's call for the withdrawal of US troops set off the skirmish. Shuster snidely suggested to Joe that "your party, the Republican party" mocks those who call for withdrawal. All hell ensued. The entire seven-minute exchange is worth viewing, but the highlight was Scarborough's challenge to Shuster and MSNBC at large over their independence.

JOE SCARBOROUGH: I will let you know that "my party," my party, loathes me, much more than your party, the Democratic party, loathes me.

DAVID SHUSTER: Well that's a whole 'nother issue, but the fact of the matter is --

SCARBOROUGH: No, it's not another issue, because you said --

SHUSTER: The party you served with in Congress have repeatedly suggested, they have ridiculed --

SCARBOROUGH: What about your party? What's your party? David Shuster, David: what's your party?

SHUSTER: I have no party. I'm a complete independent.

SCARBOROUGH: Oh, you're independent. Just like all --

SHUSTER: I'll show you my voting card. I'll show you how I'm registered later.

SCARBOROUGH: Oh, I feel so comforted by the fact that you're an independent. I bet everyone at MSNBC has "independent" on their voting cards. "Oh, we're down the middle now." Go ahead, David. No, no, go ahead. You're an independent David. Go ahead. Talk about my party. Go ahead.

Joe got his ass handed to him. I'm glad someone called the republicans out of this bull they've been talking about on Iraq. Go David!!!

laserbeam

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Joe got his ass handed to him. I'm glad someone called the republicans out of this bull they've been talking about on Iraq. Go David!!!
Scarborough wont be with MSNBC for too much longer I am sure. He went into some no go territory. I gotta admit the whole thing was amusing

reilo

Schuster trying to make a valid point, and Joe reverts to ad-hominems. Classic.

mckmas8808

laserbeam said:
Scarborough wont be with MSNBC for too much longer I am sure. He went into some no go territory. I gotta admit the whole ting was amusing

It was because Joe absolutely hates it when everybody either doesn't agree with him or doesn't get scared of him.

I love the fact that David didn't back down and continued with his one point. If Joe is for leaving like the Iraqis want us to, then he should call out McCain for joking on Obama for thinking it's a good idea.

reilo

What do wives and children of soldier's have to do with Joe not calling McCain's camp out when they ridicule anyone that supports a withdrawal?

mckmas8808

reilo said:
What do wives and children of soldier's have to do with Joe not calling McCain's camp out when they ridicule anyone that supports a withdrawal?

Strawman.jpg

He was full of shit and he knew it. So he went into the well for an emotional story. And did Joe ever say what David asked him to do? Nope!

laserbeam

Banned
mj1108 said:
Bland and low budget.

It's the Wal-Mart of conventions.
More or less the view they are going for and said as much in their PR. They are gonna try and point to Democrat excess I am sure

GOP PR said:
GOP planners hope for "simple but classy" theme vs. DNC's glitz

While Democrats in Denver are arranging for the spectacle of a stadium-sized throng, the Republicans here are staging things a bit differently for their get-together Sept. 1-4.

"We're much more simple this time than we have been in the past," said Nash, a veteran TV producer. "Basically, Sen. McCain and his staff feel that to do something real glitzy and Las Vegas-like would be inappropriate, the way the economy is."

reilo

laserbeam said:
More or less the view they are going for and said as much in their PR.

"We're much more simple this time than we have been in the past," said Nash, a veteran TV producer. "Basically, Sen. McCain and his staff feel that to do something real glitzy and Las Vegas-like would be inappropriate, the way the economy is."
:lol

Oh, like owning 7 houses worth $13mil?

laserbeam

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I will say (watching the convention again on CNN)... the Democrats should have been a little tougher on McCain and Bush tonight.
I feel that way too. There are people saying so and so attacked and so and so did as well.

Lets face the facts though the TV channels are basically showing 1 hour of the convention a night. That time is of the main speakers. All these people earlier in the day arent even being seen by anyone but the die hards who watch the whole thing all day.

Ventrue

Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's big speech on Thursday night will be delivered from an elaborate columned stage resembling a miniature Greek temple.

24lj4sy.jpg

I think you are over-reacting, hes not going to be put up as Zeus.

laserbeam said:
I feel that way too. There are people saying so and so attacked and so and so did as well.

Les face the facts though the TV channels are basically showing 1 hour of the convention a night. That time is of the main speakers. All these people earlier in the day arent even being seen by anyone but the die hards who watch the whole thing all day.

Tomorrow night should be better, Joe and Bill will bring the real heat to McCain and Bush... but so far this convention has only reassured me, but not won me over.

To be honest, I'm a bit worried about the set design for Obama's speech. I really hope the Obama campaign don't make it easy for the Republicans to build on the "Celebrity" narrative.

If they have Obama rise from the bottom of the stage they might as well put wires on Obama and have him fly around the stadium. :lol

This week seems to be building up very nice. But it's important for the Obama campaign to close the week strong because that's the last impression. The Obama campaign has done a ton of things right but they haven't been strong closers whether its their fault or not. Obama finished the primary hobbling a bit and the final leg of the European trip drew the most criticism.

It's really important that Obama holds serve at the end of this week, so there's added pressure on McCain and the Republicans next week. The media is looking to expose any perceived flaws by Obama in this convention.

laserbeam

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Tomorrow night should be better, Joe and Bill will bring the real heat to McCain and Bush... but so far this convention has only reassured me, but not won me over.
Biden will without a doubt drive home the point. Im really not sure where Bill is yet. He feels his legacy is shit on and may decide to talk up his past and the party while mentioning some stuff about obama and mccain.

Bill continues to take jabs and even flat out talk shit about Obama.

GhaleonEB said:
I listened to about two hours of speeches tonight. They were brutal to him. First Read has a few highlights:

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/08/27/1296230.aspx

I'm expecting tomorrow to be even harder, with Biden capping it all off.

Actually I kind of take back my statement... Mark Warner's speech is pretty good. Its not divisive, and its filled with sound logic as to why Democrats are the party to vote for.

Overall, I am just concerned that the GOP will hit really hard next week... and play on America's fears.

But hopefully Obama's speech will be so profound that their negativity will backfire.

Ventrue

The Chosen One said:
If they have Obama rise from the bottom of the stage they might as well put wires on Obama and have him fly around the stadium. :lol

The podium will rise up before he walks onto the stage, they all do. He's not going to come up through the floor.

On a side note, anyone have any theories why the media coverage has turned mostly negative on Obama? He's still getting a ton of coverage but it's turned a lot more negative the last couple of months.

- Was it the charges of media bias? So the media is trying to over-correct?

- Is it just the usual snipping at the front-runner and pulling for the under-dog type thing?

- Is it their desire to see a close horse race?

Things are going well for McCain at the moment (or as well as they can go for him given the situation), but I think he's peaking too soon. There's a ton of time for things to see-saw back decidedly in Obama's favor. That said, these new poll numbers may give Republicans hope which is a dangerous thing. Right now Republican turn-out is depressed, but if they feel they have a good shot of at least retaining the White House, then you may see Republicans come out in droves to vote for McCain even if they don't agree with him on certain issues. I think McCain's VP pick will do a lot to determine this.

The Chosen One said:
On a side note, anyone have any theories why the media coverage has turned mostly negative on Obama? He's still getting a ton of coverage but it's turned a lot more negative the last couple of months.

- Is it just the usual snipping at the front-runner and pulling for the under-dog type thing?

Things are going well for McCain at the moment (or as well as they can go for him given the situation), but I think he's peaking too soon. There's a ton of time for things to see-saw back decidedly in Obama's favor. That said, these new poll numbers may give Republicans hope which is a dangerous thing. Right now Republican turn-out is depressed, but if they feel they have a good shot of at least retaining the White House, then you may see Republicans come out in droves to vote for McCain even if they don't agree with him on certain issues. I think McCain's VP pick will do a lot to determine this.

Yeah good point... however as long as Obama doesn't lose any ground when it comes to foriegn policy (no attacks or major developments between now and November) then I definitely see Obama having a very good shot at winning this election.

Passionate republicans are going to always vote for republicans, cause they think their philosophy is logically correct. However the moderates and independents who may have voted for Bush in the past, are really going to have a hard time reasoning with the prospect of voting for the same party that has turned this country in the wrong direction.

The main way Obama is going to win, is a very unexcited republican base and a very scared and fearful democratic base. I think democrats this time around realize that nothing is for certain... and if the narrative continues to be that Obama isn't pulling ahead like we think he should... then this should drive the fears of the democrats and independents who are struggling with paying their bills and pumping their cars.

So indirectly, whether intentionally or not, the media playing to McCain's hand might actually end up hurting McCain more then helping. Turnout is the key factor with this election and if Obama can remain extremely effective on the ground, but keep his supporters still unsure of the outcome in November... we are going to see a margin of registered voters turnout like no other election ever.

You see the problem with polling somewhat is it done by the phone. Its one thing to answer a phone call and voice your opinion and its another to go drive to the polls on the 4th of November and cast your vote for a candidate.

My guess is many republicans want McCain... but overall won't care too much if they lose this year.

So although I gave a bunch of people here a bunch of shit for being too optimistic about this November... I do understand the logic behind it. But I personally believe that we (democrats) should all remain skeptical of our chances this November because it doesn't hurt our chances at all.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
The Chosen One said:

There is no secret; it's all in the ratings. The media have taken the politics of the country and played it as a game in order to manipulate viewer ratings.

Simply, the narrative they create is only relevant and interesting when they race is close, and this race has done nothing if not shown how nothing is sacrosanct with regards to the media reinforcing that narrative.

If they were to cover objectively, there would be no race; the merit of one candidate far outweighs the other... but it doesn't matter; the media have long learnt that the stories and opinions they voice have a way of becoming 'common fact'.

i know its been discussed to death, but i don;t think the media's gone negative on obama. it's just that he's such a phenomenon that he's invariably subject to more scrutiny.

Kildace

Byakuya769 said:
Minus the american flag there, I envision nazis with all the red and what appears to be black, coupled with the hard and irregular lines of the chair layout.

This is the absolute first thing I thought when I saw the design. Replace the american flag with a huge Swatzika and you've got the set for a modern-day Hitler rally.

mj1108

The Chosen One said:

Haven't you learned? Obama doesn't need wires to fly around the stadium.

Kildace said:
This is the absolute first thing I thought when I saw the design. Replace the american flag with a huge Swatzika and you've got the set for a modern-day Hitler rally.

*awaits Photoshop*

Crayon Shinchan said:
There is no secret; it's all in the ratings. The media have taken the politics of the country and played it as a game in order to manipulate viewer ratings.

Simply, the narrative they create is only relevant and interesting when they race is close, and this race has done nothing if not shown how nothing is sacrosanct with regards to the media reinforcing that narrative.

If they were to cover objectively, there would be no race; the merit of one candidate far outweighs the other... but it doesn't matter; the media have long learnt that the stories and opinions they voice have a way of becoming 'common fact'.

For proof of this look no further than when Obama was going against Hillary.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Kildace said:

:lol Oh GAF, you never fail to deliver. Never change.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Tyrone Slothrop said:
i know its been discussed to death, but i don;t think the media's gone negative on obama. it's just that he's such a phenomenon that he's invariably subject to more scrutiny.

Scrutiny would be a fair word if the media were engaging in non-trivial things in an objective manner.

To consistently report and make irrelevant (to his ability to lead the country) issues blown out of proportion is simply an agenda.

Kildace

140.85 said:
:lol Oh GAF, you never fail to deliver. Never change.

Eh? It's got nothing to do with what I think of the Republican party and I'm not inferring that even Cheney is anywhere near as evil as Hitler. I'm just commenting on the bright red and black, plain, angular design with a huge flag as the set backdrop and poles with the national flag everywhere. It is honestly the first thing it made me think of.
It might not look as bad in person though.

painey

I stayed up till 5am last night to watch Clintons speech. She should have won, I would feel better about the world with Clinton as president.

Karma Kramer said:
Yeah good point... however as long as Obama doesn't lose any ground when it comes to foreign policy (no attacks or major developments between now and November) then I definitely see Obama having a very good shot at winning this election.

Passionate republicans are going to always vote for republicans, cause they think their philosophy is logically correct. However the moderates and independents who may have voted for Bush in the past, are really going to have a hard time reasoning with the prospect of voting for the same party that has turned this country in the wrong direction.

The main way Obama is going to win, is a very unexcited republican base and a very scared and fearful democratic base. I think democrats this time around realize that nothing is for certain... and if the narrative continues to be that Obama isn't pulling ahead like we think he should... then this should drive the fears of the democrats and independents who are struggling with paying their bills and pumping their cars.

So indirectly, whether intentionally or not, the media playing to McCain's hand might actually end up hurting McCain more then helping. Turnout is the key factor with this election and if Obama can remain extremely effective on the ground, but keep his supporters still unsure of the outcome in November... we are going to see a margin of registered voters turnout like no other election ever.

You see the problem with polling somewhat is it done by the phone. Its one thing to answer a phone call and voice your opinion and its another to go drive to the polls on the 4th of November and cast your vote for a candidate.

My guess is many republicans want McCain... but overall won't care too much if they lose this year.

So although I gave a bunch of people here a bunch of shit for being too optimistic about this November... I do understand the logic behind it. But I personally believe that we (democrats) should all remain skeptical of our chances this November because it doesn't hurt our chances at all.

I'm an Independent and have voted for Republicans and Libertarians locally. However nationally I've leaned Dem ever since Bush went bat-shit in 2002. A few years ago I could have seen myself voting for McCain but in the past 2 years he's consistently been willing to step on any of his principles for the sake of becoming President. That doesn't make him evil or anything, but it does mean he isn't much of a maverick that he and the media touts. He was comfortable ruffling a few republican feathers from his comfortable senate seat that he's had for over 20 years but when he had larger ambitions in mind he acted just like any other republican politician. Plus I don't care what kind of experience McCain supposedly has, his foreign policy scares me. He's not far off from the dreaded Bush/Cheney NeoCons. The only difference is McCain believes in using overwhelming force instead of a slim/fast military. So his ideology is basically the same as the NeoCons but he disagrees with the Rumsfield Doctrine.

I said all of that to say this. If more Independents go through the same realization as I did, then Obama can pull off this election. But I don't think the Obama campaign and the DNC are doing a good job of explaining WHY McCain == McBush. They say, "McCain's policies are the same as Bush's", but they need to explain HOW the policies are similar. Otherwise it just comes off as empty rhetoric. I've read a ton of political books recently so that's how I noticed McCain's and Bush's foreign policy fairly similar. It goes beyond "McCain wants to stay in Iraq for 100 years." It's their whole belligerent and alarmist approach to foreign policy. McCain showed his true colors with this Georgia/Russia flare-up but the Obama campaign only made a few tacit remarks about McCain being trigger happy. It seemed the Obama campaign was afraid to appear weak. Hopefully Biden will help change this.

I don't care if McCain is tough. If we approach foreign policy with the same ideology as the past 8 years then our country is so screwed. But I wonder how much headway Obama can realistically make on foreign policy against McCain. Obama's foreign trip didn't give him a single bounce on his foreign policy numbers according to the NBC/Wallstreet poll. That was with him literally getting an endorsement from Al Maliki. So it will probably be economic issues that pull Obama over the top.

painey said:
I stayed up till 5am last night to watch Clintons speech. She should have won, I would feel better about the world with Clinton as president.
That's nice. I breathed a huge sigh of relief when she lost the nomination, and I will never vote for her in any office after seeing how she ran her campaign.

Arde5643

The Chosen One said:
I don't care if McCain is tough.
McCain's more like having a twisted view of the world than tough though.

His shit about the draft, Iran, Russia scares me more than GWB/Cheney actually.

I probably shouldn't lump GWB with the Cheney neocons. GWB wanted revenge on Iraq but outside of that I don't really think he gives a shit about too much else ideologically. It was Cheney and crew that had grand designs.

It's evident now how ever since Cheney has lost influence, the White House has become more reasonable on foreign policy. The Bush Admin the past year has actually done alright on foreign policy, it's just the Iraq war and all the prior decisions associated with it is a giant Anvil on their neck. The Bush Admin has been a lot closer to Obama lately than McCain. Targeted strikes in Pakistan on Al Queda, time tab..err horizons for withdrawal in Iraq, tough but restrained words against Russia, official talks with Iran and etc.

I wonder if Bush kept bad company the first 6-7 years or he's just trying to save his legacy.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
The Chosen One said:
I probably shouldn't lump GWB with the Cheney neocons. GWB wanted revenge on Iraq but outside of that I don't really think he gives a shit about too much else ideologically. It was Cheney and crew that had grand designs.

It's evident now how ever since Cheney has lost influence, the White House has become more reasonable on foreign policy. The Bush Admin the past year has actually done alright on foreign policy, it's just the Iraq war and all the prior decisions associated with it is a giant Anvil on their neck. The Bush Admin has been a lot closer to Obama lately than McCain. Targeted strikes in Pakistan on Al Queda, time tab..err horizons for withdrawal in Iraq, tough but restrained words against Russia, official talks with Iran and etc.

I wonder if Bush kept bad company the first 6-7 years or he's just trying to save his legacy.

Bush is too dumb and apathetic. Simply he's given up and he's letting his more competent underlings take over. Fortunately, his underlings actually keep their ears to the ground and learn when things go wrong. There's no salvaging Bush's legacy. He's ruined his and his fathers.

If McCain is elected, we can only hope he enjoys the fruits of been president, without actually bothering to come up with any policies of his own. It would be far less damaging.

Flipping around I last night I saw Barkley with a quick interview with Suzanne Malveaux.

Here is the one he did with Wolf earlier in the day.

And why did ESPN have to bork the Bill Simmons podcast with Obama that was set up earlier in the year but now Stu Scott gets to chat with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom