• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolf

Banned
Tamanon said:
WTF? I thought McCain was at least keeping tonight from being negative. Can't even do it for ONE night?:lol

why should he? Obama spent a good amount of his speech attacking McCain.

GhaleonQ

Number of McCain television/print ads on the 5 foreign policy minutes buried 25 minutes into the speech alone: 14.

Seriously, why would anyone in his campaign let him get CLOSE to being glib against McCain, much less as flippant as he was?

Knowing his voting record on abortion (seriously, pro-lifers are primed), why would he even bring it up.

minus_273

Banned
So this is what obama decided was a good idea to play when running against a vietnam POW?
really? is this a good idea? esp when he is accused to being buddy buddy with a 60s terrorist? im gawking here. Anyone think this song is just a coincidence?

I got in a little hometown jam
And so they put a rifle in my hands
Sent me off to Vietnam
To go and kill the yellow man

[chorus]

Come back home to the refinery
Hiring man says "Son if it was up to me"
I go down to see the V.A. man
He said "Son don't you understand"

[chorus]

I had a buddy at Khe Sahn
Fighting off the Viet Cong
They're still there, he's all gone
He had a little girl in Saigon
I got a picture of him in her arms

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
All Obama is going to do is raise our taxes... umm can someone tell me what the HELL that caller is smoking?

APF said:
BREAKING: Obama's cousin to vote for John McCain

UNDISCLOSED LOCATION (APF) - Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama's eighth cousin announced today he is planning to vote for the presumptive Republican Presidential nominee, John McCain, in the 2008 US Presidential election, according to NeoGAF poster APF.

"I'm not voting for Obama," current Vice President Dick Cheney told us, "I have a different political standpoint."

[...]
Breaking News: McCain's VP selection calls him back and declines

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Number of McCain television/print ads on the 5 foreign policy minutes buried 25 minutes into the speech alone: 14.

Seriously, why would anyone in his campaign let him get CLOSE to being glib against McCain, much less as flippant as he was?

What?:lol :lol

And Sullivan apparently was smitten by it.

It was a deeply substantive speech, full of policy detail, full of people other than the candidate, centered overwhelmingly on domestic economic anxiety. It was a liberal speech, more unabashedly, unashamedly liberal than any Democratic acceptance speech since the great era of American liberalism. But it made the case for that liberalism - in the context of the decline of the American dream, and the rise of cynicism and the collapse of cultural unity. His ability to portray that liberalism as a patriotic, unifying, ennobling tradition makes him the most lethal and remarkable Democratic figure since John F Kennedy.

What he didn't do was give an airy, abstract, dreamy confection of rhetoric. The McCain campaign set Obama up as a celebrity airhead, a Paris Hilton of wealth and elitism. And he let them portray him that way, and let them over-reach, and let them punch him again and again ... and then he turned around and destroyed them. If the Rove Republicans thought they were playing with a patsy, they just got a reality check.

He took every assault on him and turned them around. He showed not just that he understood the experience of many middle class Americans, but that he understood how the Republicans have succeeded in smearing him. And he didn't shrink from the personal charges; he rebutted them. Whoever else this was, it was not Adlai Stevenson. It was not Jimmy Carter. And it was less afraid and less calculating than Bill Clinton.

Above all, he took on national security - face on, full-throttle, enraged, as we should all be, at how disastrously American power has been handled these past eight years. He owned this issue in a way that no Democrat has owned it since Kennedy. That's a transformative event. To my mind, it is vital that both parties get to own the war on Jihadist terror and that we escape this awful Rove-Morris trap that poisons the discourse into narrow and petty partisan abuse of patriotism. Obama did this tonight. We are in his debt.

Look: I'm biased at this point. I'm one of those people, deeply distressed at what has happened to America, deeply ashamed of my own misjudgments, who has shifted out of my ideological comfort zone because this man seems different to me, and this moment in history seems different to me. I'm not sure we have many more chances to get off the addiction to foreign oil, to prevent a calamitous terrorist attack, to restore constitutional balance in the hurricane of a terror war.

I've said it before - months and months ago. I should say it again tonight. This is a remarkable man at a vital moment. America would be crazy to throw this opportunity away. America must not throw this opportunity away.

Know hope.

Gattsu25

Banned
Is there any site that has MP3s of last night's speeches? (Clinton, Kerry, Biden)

I'm gonna NEED tonight's speech as well (WOW) but I don't expect any place to have an MP3 up this soon

minus_273 said:
So this is what obama decided was a good idea to play when running against a vietnam POW?
really? is this a good idea? esp when he is accused to being buddy buddy with a 60s terrorist? im gawking here. Anyone think this song is just a coincidence?
Just like Reagan, you don't understand the song at all.

Though, to be fair, I think it was selected for the same superficial reason as then.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
BotoxAgent said:
yeah, apathy and cynicism works wonders for the government and the process. Boo enthusiasm!
Every president since Washington have been "All talk and fancy speeches" with no substance and have never delivered on promises made during their campaigns. Didn't you know that?

Diablos

vumpler said:
Are you Kidding me? He just said cut capital gains tax? He clearly said he is RAISING the capital gains tax 20% as soon as he gets in office.

Get it straight :/
SMALL BUSINESSES DURR

That has always been his position.

Anyway, amazing speech.

GhaleonQ said:

Because it's time to go there. Everyone has been so cowardly when talking about McCain because of the ridiculous, false correlation people have drawn between being a POW and being a brilliant military strategist. It was time to topple that house of cards. You can't campaign on sound judgment when you've made as many bad calls as McCain has.

GhaleonQ

Tamanon said:
What?:lol :lol

"For while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war, knowing that it would distract us from the real threats we face. When John McCain said we could just “muddle through” in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources and more troops to finish the fight against the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11, and made clear that we must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights. John McCain likes to say that he’ll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won’t even go to the cave where he lives."

That's, um, not advisable.

WickedAngel said:
Because it's time to go there. Everyone has been so cowardly when talking about McCain because of the ridiculous, false correlation people have drawn between being a POW and being a brilliant military strategist. It was time to topple that house of cards. You can't campaign on sound judgment when you've made as many bad calls as McCain has.

Right, but he took a flying leap past the acceptable line. I'm not saying that people won't be convinced, eventually, that Obama shows better judgment in foreign policy and military affairs. The way he gets there is by remaining stoic and talking about reputation, not by trying to sound like he comprehends war better than McCain.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Y2Kev said:
I LOVE FUCKING BARACK OBAMA

I LOVE HIM I LOVE HIM
Is this sarcasm? If not calm down lol. He may be in our corner but he has to "pay to play" so to speak. We will never have a President who can truly revolutionize the system unless we tear the government down and build it back up from scratch.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
DarienA said:
A trucker on CSPAN said he's happy with the way america currently is...

Wow.
These are the people who've just given up. It's easier to trick yourself into being content than to dare to care.

JayDubya

Banned
BotoxAgent said:
Oh no, you didn't.

Yes I did. It's just that as I listened, my bullshit meter started reading off the chart.

He's either lying about his tax policy, or he's lying about fiscal responsibility, because based on his issue stances and his statement's as recent as tonight, he's certainly not going to cut any of the wasteful or inefficient big government things Democrats adore - if anything he intends to expand them, expand foreign aid, and even when he talked about cutting something, somewhere (NASA), he immediately recanted.

minus_273

Banned
adamsappel said:
Just like Reagan, you don't understand the song at all.

Though, to be fair, I think it was selected for the same superficial reason as then.

i think if you understand the song you know its not a good idea.

DeathNote said:
so, wasnt mccain supposed to release a commercial ?
Yep he sarcastically congratulated Obama's nomination and how it is really significant, "especially on this historic day"; referring to MLK, whom has a national holiday in his name that McCain voted against.

Tamanon

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
"For while Senator McCain was turning his sights to Iraq just days after 9/11, I stood up and opposed this war, knowing that it would distract us from the real threats we face. When John McCain said we could just “muddle through” in Afghanistan, I argued for more resources and more troops to finish the fight against the terrorists who actually attacked us on 9/11, and made clear that we must take out Osama bin Laden and his lieutenants if we have them in our sights. John McCain likes to say that he’ll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won’t even go to the cave where he lives."

Alright, I'll bite, why not?

Tobor

GhaleonQ said:

You are off your rocker. How in any reality where the sky is blue is any of that quote inadvisable?

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
DarienA said:
All Obama is going to do is raise our taxes... umm can someone tell me what the HELL that caller is smoking?
If they were part of the "mega-rich" then they were right. Tax the hell out of those vampires.

Tamanon

Banned
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26447383

Republican officials said yesterday that they are considering delaying the start of the GOP convention in Minneapolis-St. Paul because of Tropical Storm Gustav, which is on track to hit the Gulf Coast, and possibly New Orleans, as a full-force hurricane early next week.

The threat is serious enough that White House officials are also debating whether President Bush should cancel his scheduled convention appearance on Monday, the first day of the convention, according to administration officials and others familiar with the discussion.

For Bush and Republican presidential candidate John McCain, Gustav threatens to provide an untimely reminder of Hurricane Katrina. A new major storm along the Gulf Coast would renew memories of one of the low points of the Bush administration, while pulling public attention away from McCain's formal coronation as the GOP presidential nominee.

Oof!

GhaleonQ said:

Wait is this Ghaleon that Xbox MVP... Ghaleon...?

DarienA

McCain has more experience with what's going on in Iraq.... these CSPAN callers are awesome.

DarienA

DancingJesus said:
Is there somewhere I can rewatch this? I missed the begining.

It'll be posted on barack's web site here at some point:

http://my.barackobama.com/page/community/post/amandascott/gG5lGG

New CSPAN Caller:

The constitution doesn't allow him to make any of the changes he said he wants to make.

WOW.

Next:

I'm for John McCain because I can afford $5.00 gas.... please tell me that was a joke caller.

GhaleonQ

Tobor said:
You are off your rocker. How in any reality where the sky is blue is any of that quote inadvisable?

Try to think like a swing-voter. Sounding cavalier with no real reputation in that area and trying to "out-badass" McCain, the guy who they think of as a former P.O.W.? Stupid. I'm worried about Biden hitting McCain hard on the campaign trail, but (though obviously I disagree with him, substantively) politically, I'm not worried about Obama at all. He has a tin ear for anything that isn't domestic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom