• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
JayDubya said:
"Animal rights." BWAHAHAHA. Just the two words juxtaposed... hilarious.

You're trying too hard to sound like a shitty human being.

It's probably an act, to get attention, to get people to argue with you.

At least, I hope no one is as dumb as to think living, breathing, thinking, intelligent creatures don't have rights.

JayDubya

Banned
omg rite said:
You're trying too hard to sound like a shitty human being.

Hey, when all you offer is a doublelolsmiley, not like you'd even care for the reasoning anyway, so I laugh right back at your presumption.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Karma Kramer said:
lol if the Republicans delay their convention... thats like the biggest compliment one could give to Obama's performance tonight.
In all fairness, I have to imagine the hurricane could have something to do with it :D

Karma Kramer said:
lol if the Republicans delay their convention... thats like the biggest compliment one could give to Obama's performance tonight.
And also a dick move to all the people who traveled to St. Paul for their convention.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
omg rite: No, he's just a militant idealist who doesn't understand why people burden themselves with concepts like "compromise", "moral ambiguity", or even "practicality". He's also the only person who knows the correct way to read the constitution, a document drafted by unanimous consent.

RubxQub said:
In all fairness, I have to imagine the hurricane could have something to do with it :D

Hannah's going to hit somewhere late next week/weekend...

How long do they plan to delay it? Until after Hurricane season? :lol

laserbeam

Banned
BrokenFiction said:
And also a dick move to all the people who traveled to St. Paul for their convention.
And the Democrats would say its a dick move and total elitist bullshit that the republicans would have their Convention during a Natural Disaster.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
RubxQub said:

It would be disastrous to postpone the President's speech... But it's looking like there will be no choice. Poor people of the Gulf...

minus_273 said:
"John McCain likes to say that he’ll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won’t even go to the cave where he lives."

Says the lawyer/politician to the POW military veteran. This one is going to come back to haunt him. damn. who thought THAT was a good idea. You dont talk tough and bring a knife to a gun fight.

His politics were what lead us to Iraq, away from Osama Bin Laden. Don't buy into this POW-defense for everything. Wesley Clark is right.

minus_273

Banned
Slurpy said:
Yeah, just like how invading Iraq posed no consequences. I'm all for debate, but so far none of your posts seem to have any intellectual merit at all.

Under clinton, how many troops were in saudi arabia because they had to protect it from being invaded again? thousands. how angry did it make people?
you might not be able to answer this because unlike me you probably never spent time in a an asian country with a large, vocal muslim population. it made them very angry, take my word for it.

how many are there now? Zero. say what you will about the justification for the war but US troops will be out of iraq in the next 2-3 years regardless of who is president. bush ended the permanent presence of us troops in the country that hosts mecca and medina and the only way he could do that was by removing the reason they were left there for a decade in the first place.

what was one of the motivating factors for 9/11 and other radicals? us troops in SA.

what about sanctions and air raids on iraq under clinton? did those images motivate radicals?

if you want to prevent another 9/11 do you do it by removing just al-qeda or understanding it and removing the reasons that cause people to join it.

minus_273 said:
Under clinton, how many troops were in saudi arabia because they had to protect it from being invaded again? thousands. how angry did it make people?
you might not be able to answer this because unlike me you probably never spent time in a an asian country with a large, vocal muslim population. it made them very angry, take my word for it.

how many are there now? Zero. say what you will about the justification for the war but US troops will be out of iraq in the next 2-3 years regardless of who is president. bush ended the permanent presence of us troops in the country that hosts mecca and medina and the only way he could do that was by removing the reason they were left there for a decade in the first place.

what was one of the motivating factors for 9/11 and other radicals? us troops in SA.

what about sanctions and air raids on iraq under clinton? did those images motivate radicals?

if you want to prevent another 9/11 do you do it by removing just al-qeda or understanding it and removing the reasons that cause people to join it.

So I'm confused. Is pre-emptive war good or bad based on this post because you seem to be arguing it both ways and claim Mccain is on both sides of the issue for all good credit.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
minus_273 said:

Actually you do both. Because slowing down or stopping new folks from joining it doesn't all the sudden make the die hard existing membership stop their activities.

laserbeam said:
And the Democrats would say its a dick move and total elitist bullshit that the republicans would have their Convention during a Natural Disaster.

Yeah well its funny that Bush and McCain were celebrating during Katrina three years ago today... but this time... they are going to cancel an ENTIRE convention due to a natural disaster.

If you don't see bullshit spewing out of their mouths with this move... then I don't know what to say.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Hitokage said:
omg rite: No, he's just a militant idealist who doesn't understand why people burden themselves with concepts like "compromise", "moral ambiguity", or even "practicality". He's also the only person who knows the correct way to read the constitution, a document drafted by unanimous consent.

Well that answers all current and probably future questions.

JayDubya

Banned
Hitokage said:

Silly Hito, clearly only liberal appointed justices can interpret the Constitution's secret codes with Benjamin Franklin's glasses.

omg rite said:
Well that answers all current and probably future questions.

Edit: You know what, fine.

omg rite said:
At least, I hope no one is as dumb as to think living, breathing, thinking, intelligent creatures don't have rights.

Humans have rights, which includes the right to property. Animals are property.

When you want a dog, you go and buy it, you get it's paperwork, it's your dog. Or you get one from someone just giving them away, and again, your dog, your responsibility, your property. And if you go to a vet and give him money, he'll kill it for you.

We also eat animals for sustenance, all the time. Hunting is perfectly legal. We use animals for laboratory experiments. And none of this is unacceptable.

If you're a ALF / PETA vegetarian type who argues that all of the above is unacceptable, that's one thing. I'd strongly disagree with you, of course, but at least you're not being inconsistant.

So like I said about Vick, I think he's an asshole and if I was in any way patronizing his career, I would join a boycott and hope he'd get fired, but that's as far as I think we as citizens and as a society have any just authority to take things unless he's stealing the dogs in question.

JayDubya said:
Wrong thread for this, but no, humans have rights, which include the right to property. Slaves are property.

When you want a slave, you go and buy it, you get it's paperwork, it's your slave. Or you get one from someone just giving them away, and again, your slave, your responsibility, your property. And if you go to a doctor and give him money, he'll kill it for you.
C WUT I DID THAR

Scary thing is, I have a sinking feeling you might even agree with this.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
So Al-Qaeda is on their knees. Recruitment is down and they have had to resort to drugging people for suicide bombers or using mentally retarded women. They are now exploring remote controlled vehicles filled with explosives. As one former Al-Qaeda member said from his prison in Egypt" "Drop your weapons, this is not a fight the can be won. What good is it to hurt your enemy if they in turn completely destroy you and your government?" :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFs8wTK2tfg

does anyone have links to obama's speech? I can't find it anywhere, and I just got back from work so I missed it. I found all the others on youtube, though.

GhaleonQ said:
Cool. Thanks for not being openly hostile.

Did I really need to add more deference to that post? *groan* This is going to be intolerable. Back to Gaming Discussion.
Wait, you think it's less hostile on the gaming side? :lol

minus_273

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
So I'm confused. Is pre-emptive war good or bad based on this post because you seem to be arguing it both ways and claim Mccain is on both sides of the issue for all good credit.

is it a preemptive war or just finishing a war that dragged on at a low level for 10 years unnecessarily.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Well, obviously the one and only true right is "property", as "life" is a person's ownership of self, "health" the damage to that property, and "liberty" the unhindered use of that property.

JayDubya

Banned
polyh3dron said:
My point is that both statements are equally as ridiculous.

My statement was fact: in every way we consider pets to be property.

polyh3dron said:
If that's all you took from that analogy then I weep for your soul.

Atheists talking about souls is always fun.

But don't lose heart, I use that analogy all the time, when talking about actual humans that are treated as subhuman property to this day.

One thing that people aren't analyzing about his speech was how he really laid bare why he thinks the fundamentals of the Republican platform are wrong, how thinking that prosperity comes from the top-down and that you're generally left alone, and how that platform has failed. He's calling on Republicans to own up to their failures.

It was a really transcendent speech, went beyond his own circumstances.

Tamanon said:
It apparently only played in swing states.

Ah... well someone from GAF should have seen it.

I am wondering if its possible that they didn't even air it... like they have done in the past... but released it just to get airtime on the networks.

Karma Kramer said:
Did anyone see McCain's "congrats ad" at any point tonight?
Yes a lot of the news networks ran it. Not sure what the point of it was, other than to appear gracious given the inevitability of Obama's awesomesauce. Nothing else that could be done.

JayDubya said:
My statement was fact: in every way we consider pets to be property.
No you shit. You're saying that since a person has a pet, that gives said person the right to be as cruel to that pet as they want and do whatever they please with said pet.

laserbeam

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:
One thing that people aren't analyzing about his speech was how he really laid bare why he thinks the fundamentals of the Republican platform are wrong, how thinking that prosperity comes from the top-down and that you're generally left alone, and how that platform has failed. He's calling on Republicans to own up to their failures.

I would say prosperity cannot come from the bottom up. There has to be people who bring the Bottom up. The Poor cannot open companies etc and hire people and create growth and new jobs. Obviously the system doesnt work well for the top pulling the bottom up.

The truth is the American people are our own enemies. We want everything wal-mart cheap etc and thats not something America can provide due to our rights in the workplace etc.

JayDubya

Banned
polyh3dron said:
No you shit. You're saying that since a person has a pet, that gives said person the right to be as cruel to that pet as they want and do whatever they please with said pet.

What right do you or I have to force someone to do otherwise?

Edit: You shit. Ethic of reciprocation, weeeee.

Demigod Mac

Whoa, Libertarians are out in full force tonight.

Grumbling because they're realizing the impending reality that this man will be the next president. I love it! :lol

deadbeef

TheGrayGhost said:

People have critiqued trickle-down economics for as long as it's been talked about, haven't they? Nothing really new there.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
polyh3dron said:

I have no idea what this argument is about, but "no you shit" makes you look bad.

Jonm1010

Banned
TheGrayGhost said:

Agreed, I just got back and that really struck me as a pinnacle of the speech. Calling out Trickle-down economics on a stage like tonight was something I never though he would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom