• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pxleyes

Banned
Fatalah said:
uhh, folks.... is this ad new?

MCCAINLEAK.jpg
Looks like.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I think Palin would be interesting simply based on the fact she is a woman. other than that I know nothing about her.

Palin and Ridge would both be MUCH better choices for McCain than a Romney or a Pawlenty or a Lieberman.

If it's Palin, the Obama campaign needs to stick Hillary on her.

vitaflo

eznark said:
maybe on it's face, but the is the most Republican of the bunch he is looking at. She gets a gold star next to each bullet point.

She doesn't even have 2 years worth of experience yet. This is who McCain thinks is capable from being a heartbeat away from the presidency of the United States? A 2 year Gov from Alaska? Please.

If he picks her it's the end of his campaign.

Clevinger

eznark said:
maybe on it's face, but the is the most Republican of the bunch he is looking at. She gets a gold star next to each bullet point.

Except next to Reformer there's an asterisk, and at the bottom of the page it says, "She got her sister's ex-husband fired and then swept it under the rug with her own investigation."

Tamanon

Banned
GashPrex said:
I think Palin would be interesting simply based on the fact she is a woman. other than that I know nothing about her.

Governor for 2 years, lietenant governor for 2 years before that. High approval ratings, corruption investigation. That's about it.

And pretty much the only reason corruption takes so long to get uncovered in Alaska is because media never goes there.:lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
sp0rsk said:
Everyone is reporting something different. This is silly.

Last week, when it was Obama doing the cockteasing, it was just as stupid. And with all the praise Obama got for keeping his pick secret, McCain has done a BETTER job. He's unfurling his VP pick today and folks are STILL guessing. Obama had to rush out the text message after the press figured out who it was. I'm still pissed that he didn't send the text message before the press owned him.

Krowley

Clevinger said:
Except next to Reformer there's an asterisk, and at the bottom of the page it says, "She got her sister's ex-husband fired and then swept it under the rug with her own investigation."

I heard that the dude actually tasered his own kid and threatened several people with murder. If that's the case, he doesn't need to be a cop.

pxleyes

Banned
Tamanon said:
Governor for 2 years, lietenant governor for 2 years before that. High approval ratings, corruption investigation. That's about it.

And pretty much the only reason corruption takes so long to get uncovered in Alaska is because media never goes there.:lol
So basically she has less experience than Obama and is riddled with the same corruption that seems to be present in Alaska.

AstroLad said:
wasn't mtv veejay kennedy a republican? should go with her to appeal to today's ally mcbeal woman

I can remember her on an old ep of Scarb Country and Joe was an ass as usual and assumed she was Liberal. She said she had been a republican.

VanMardigan said:
Last week, when it was Obama doing the cockteasing, it was just as stupid. And with all the praise Obama got for keeping his pick secret, McCain has done a BETTER job. He's unfurling his VP pick today and folks are STILL guessing. Obama had to rush out the text message after the press figured out who it was. I'm still pissed that he didn't send the text message before the press owned him.
Well, just to add a little more perspective here, I don't think the press has been pushing quite as hard to figure out McCain's pick. They had a convention to worry about, after all.

KingGondo

Banned
VistraNorrez said:
I understand the other points, but not this one.

It's pretty obvious--if Biden is perceived as "bullying" her, it could polarize female support. Remember when there were wild accusations of Edwards and Obama "ganging up" on Hillary?

eznark

Banned
vitaflo said:
She doesn't even have 2 years worth of experience yet. This is who McCain thinks is capable from being a heartbeat away from the presidency of the United States? A 2 year Gov from Alaska? Please.

If he picks her it's the end of his campaign.

That's more executive experience than the other three people in the race. She immediately becomes the most experienced for an executive role.

Making this race about experience is a mistake.

Steve Youngblood said:
Well, just to add a little more perspective here, I don't think the press has been pushing quite as hard to figure out McCain's pick. They had a convention to worry about, after all.

In addition he really only gets one day of media cycle buzz about it not to mention most people are working and not paying attention and will find out when they get home.

VanMardigan said:

Funny, I barely remember that. Show's how much impact this sort of thing has in the long run. Especially when the news cycle is going to smothered again when a Hurricane lands on a US Coast and polls start dropping post-convention.

It's Dan's Elimination Roulette theater from Big Brother 10 all over again. Transparent and ineffective in the long term.

eznark said:
That's more executive experience than the other three people in the race. She immediately becomes the most experienced for an executive role.

But she also has the least foreign policy experience of anyone in the race.

vitaflo

KingGondo said:
It's pretty obvious--if Biden is perceived as "bullying" her, it could polarize female support. Remember when there were wild accusations of Edwards and Obama "ganging up" on Hillary?

It's a little different. She's not running for president. We've already had a female vice pres run in the past. She's also a huge pro-lifer which most women are not.

eznark said:

I roughly agree the experience argument is relatively moot in this election although that's what Mccain is running on/has to run on. Not sure how he asks is Obama ready (which is an implicit experience question) when the same question can be asked towards his VP.

v1cious

Banned
KingGondo said:
If McCain picks Condi or Colin Powell, expect people to go apeshit. :lol

I think either would be a great choice.

do you seriously believe black people are gonna vote for Condi or Powell?

Azrael

VistraNorrez said:
I understand the other points, but not this one.

Because if Biden is aggressive in the debate, he'll be accused of being a chauvanist/misogynist by Republicans and the media.

It's stupid, but this is the same media and Republicans that made an issue out of a sigh eight years ago.

Smiles and Cries said:
I an nervous now... if McCain is picking a woman VP v_v

Did you...see the convention? Where that whole thing was pretty much defused? Or this morning, where every pundit called the idea of appealing to Hillz voters "just" with a woman overwhelmingly insulting?

delirium

pxleyes said:
So basically she has less experience than Obama and is riddled with the same corruption that seems to be present in Alaska.

If I remember correctly, she's known in Alaska for fighting corruption.

Cloudy

Banned
There is no way it's Palin. How can they say Obama's not ready then pick a governor with a year and change experience as the VP? And she'd be prez if McCain croaked? :lol

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Stoney Mason said:
In addition he really only gets one day of media cycle buzz about it not to mention most people are working and not paying attention and will find out when they get home.

He gets one day............which happens to be after the BIGGEST day for Democrats. Besides, he'll get today plus the weekend, while Obama waited until Saturday and didn't even hit the Weeknight newscasts with the Biden pick. The timing is excellent (from a political standpoint), and the secrecy is amazing considering he's Republican and they usually have more leaks than a sinking ship.

I didn't think John had it in him, and if it's Palin, goodbye Obama DNC buzz!!!

eznark

Banned
Frank the Great said:
But she also has the least foreign policy experience of anyone in the race.

And? None of these chuckleheads is the "perfect" candidate, but going to experience to knock down Palin doesn't make much sense for Obama supporters.

Tamanon

Banned
Azrael said:
Because if Biden is aggressive in the debate, he'll be accused of being a chauvanist/misogynist by Republicans and the media.

It's stupid, but this is the same media and Republicans that made an issue out of a sigh eight years ago.

Eh....I dunno, that would just give an excuse to run oppo on McCain's major chauvanism in the past.

quaere

KingGondo said:
Those aren't wild accusations at all. It happened. Did you watch all of the later debates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom