• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krowley

delirium said:
If I remember correctly, she's known in Alaska for fighting corruption.

Her Wikipedia entry is VERY impressive on the question of integrity and reform. Looking at her history, she is exactly the kind of candidate i would expect the old 2000 mcCain to pick... She's right out of that mold.

At to experience, it's kind of thin, but it's the RIGHT kind of experience for a presidential candidate.. 2 years as a governer and 6 years as a mayor.

vitaflo

eznark said:
That's more executive experience than the other three people in the race. She immediately becomes the most experienced for an executive role.

Making this race about experience is a mistake.

But it's going to be, whether we like it or not. It's a horrible pick if it goes through.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
slidewinder said:
She's it. But wasn't there out there, somewhere, a better pick who, incidentally, happened to have a vagina?

I just hope she doesn't use her son as a weapon.

Tamanon

Banned
I dunno, the pick just doesn't make sense whatsoever from a campaign standpoint, it purely seems something done for the newscycle, it really undercuts a lot of the arguments he's been making about Obama.

eznark

Banned
so, after reading that Slate article saying America is racist if they don't elect Obama...we're all kind of in a pickle now aren't we? Either we're a bunch of racist assholes or we're a bunch of sexist assholes.
But it's going to be, whether we like it or not. It's a horrible pick if it goes through.

that is bad news for Obama if true.

slidewinder said:
She's it. But wasn't there out there, somewhere, a better pick who, incidentally, happened to have a vagina?

We live in a media age. Better to go with the milf than the non-milf.

2_61_320_mccaskill_fns.jpg

pxleyes

Banned
Tamanon said:
I dunno, the pick just doesn't make sense whatsoever from a campaign standpoint, it purely seems something done for the newscycle, it really undercuts a lot of the arguments he's been making about Obama.
more to the point, what does she add to the ticket?

Everyone knows that the ONLY reason Palin would be picked is because she is a woman. She adds NOTHING else to the ticket.

I hope the media realizes this and attacks McCain for it. I think Obama should have Hillary attack McCain for this too.

KingGondo

Banned
Krowley said:
Her Wikipedia entry is VERY impressive on the question of integrity and reform. Looking at her history, she is exactly the kind of candidate i would expect the old 2000 mcCain to pick... She's right out of that mold.

Couldn't agree more. Her life story and credentials read like EXACTLY the kind of VP McCain would pick.

Son in military, pro-life, high school athlete and beauty queen, won Gov. by whistleblowing Republicans...

They sure did a damn good job of keeping this secret. And the media frenzy will be enormous--"Meet Sarah Palin" "Who is Sarah Palin" etc.

Awesome choice.

Frank the Great said:
Everyone knows that the ONLY reason Palin would be picked is because she is a woman. She adds NOTHING else to the ticket.

I hope the media realizes this and attacks McCain for it. I think Obama should have Hillary attack McCain for this too.

They already have. And Obama's camp has already completely mocked the pick this morning.

Huzah

On the experience issue, first she's VP not president. So you could argue that she will learn from mccain while being the VP and get experience. Mccain can still say he be ready from day one. Now you could argue that there's a high chance that Mccain will die within the first year of being president and she will not have the time to learn to be able to replace him, but then that's up to you.

Holy shit if McCain pulls this off. Seems like a great pick on a national scale. I dunno if it helps or hurts him in places like Colorado/NM/Penn./etc but a woman on the ticket would be great

suaveric

pxleyes said:

she is a woman. that's what she adds. This seems to be a direct shot at all those Hillary supporters. Remember that more woman vote Democratic than men.

Kildace

pxleyes said:

Youth, Boobs, Charm.
She's a good candidate for TV.

Edit: Little controversial history on which to base attack ads / talking point. She's not going to be easy to rebuke without making the same points that McCain makes against Obama.

eznark said:
so, after reading that Slate article saying America is racist if they don't elect Obama...we're all kind of in a pickle now aren't we? Either we're a bunch of racist assholes or we're a bunch of sexist assholes.

that is bad news for Obama if true.
Well, we already went through this in the primaries. Furthermore, Palin wouldn't be at the top of the ticket. Finally, we've already had a female as a vice-presidential candidate. I'm not saying that Palin won't help, but I don't think it's going to create this narrative that you're arguing for.

Huzah said:
On the experience issue, first she's VP not president. So you could argue that she will learn from mccain while being the VP and get experience. Mccain can still say he be ready from day one. Now you could argue that there's a high chance that Mccain will die within the first year of being president and she will not have the time to learn to be able to replace him, but then that's up to you.

You mean, like everyone else on Earth?

This is a bad pick. No one was asking these sorts of questions and positing these sorts of scenarios when Biden was announced. This is the best week Obama's campaign has ever seen if true.

Azrael

Cloudy said:
There is no way it's Palin. How can they say Obama's not ready then pick a governor with a year and change experience as the VP? And she'd be prez if McCain croaked? :lol

Alaska is a red state that's been trending badly for Republicans this year because of corruption scandals. Palin takes Alaska out of play.

Drive a wedge between diehard Hillary voters and Obama.

Neuter Biden in the debate and make him gun-shy to go on the attack.

It's cynical, but it's a good choice for the Republicans. I've been predicting a pro-life woman would be the VP. Romney would have been a disaster. The conservative punditocracy love him, but evangelicals can't stand him. And he was born with a golden spoon in his mouth and outsourced jobs overseas, so he accentuates McCain's negatives. The party wouldn't accept a pro-choice VP, so all those rumors were fluff to make McCain appear like a moderate on the issue. Huckabee has said too many outrageous things in sermons, and after the Wright scandal, Republicans would be unable to mute criticism of those sermons as anti-Christian hate speech. The other contenders were nobodies.

The only logical conclusion to all this was a pro-life woman.

Kildace said:
Fear the PoW + Downs Syndrom ticket.

She will let surrogates claim that Dems are attacking her because of her son. That Dems hate the handicapped. That nothing bad should ever be said against the ticket because McCain was a POW and her son has Down's.

vitaflo

Tamanon said:

The only real argument he has is Obama's inexperience, and he just picked someone who has quite a bit less. I mean, talk about a risky pick. She adds nothing to the ticket other than that she is a woman and hard core pro-lifer.

Hillary may have done the Dem's a favor. Without her running, McCain never would have picked Palin. Not to mention, nobody knows anything about this woman. With all the big names thrown around for the last few weeks, it is a total WTF moment. It really makes him look weak.

Halperin has met her and likes her but thinks this would be a dumb move. And despite him being a doofuss in my view he is a good analog of the MSM.

Frank the Great said:
Is it just me or has Joe Scarbs been riding Obama's dick ever since that speech last night? Has he jumped onto the band-wagon?

No, he just wants to be able to point to something and say he's balanced.

Frank the Great said:
Is it just me or has Joe Scarbs been riding Obama's dick ever since that speech last night? Has he jumped onto the band-wagon?

Scarborough is a capricious ninny. One second he's riding Barack's dick, the next he's flicking him in the balls. It's all for show.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BenjaminBirdie said:
You mean, like everyone else on Earth?

This is a bad pick. No one was asking these sorts of questions and positing these sorts of scenarios when Biden was announced. This is the best week Obama's campaign has ever seen if true.
Nobody asked these things about Biden because Biden complementing Obama by filling a "weakness" that people perceived to have about Obama, real or not.

Nobody is gonna ask about Palin's experience except for people thinking very carefully about the implications of McCain's age (and also people who probably weren't going to vote McCain anyway). I don't think that any inexperienced labels will stick-- primarily because I'm not sure the Democrats are good at this smear thing.

I think this is the best possible pick he could have made.

Huzah

Well if your not gona vote of Mccain because LOL HES OLD then I don't think anything will convince you otherwise and you're already drinking the kool aid so why would care what Mccain does?

eznark

Banned
I think the pick is smart. The only real hit against her right now is "experience" which is obviously something Obama does not want to dwell on. Additionally, she meets every requirement of the base, which McCain clearly does not.

And she is an attractive women, who will play well on TV.

Better than his other options anyway.

Tamanon

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Nobody asked these things about Biden because Biden complementing Obama by filling a "weakness" that people perceived to have about Obama, real or not.

Nobody is gonna ask about Palin's experience except for people thinking very carefully about the implications of McCain's age (and also people who probably weren't going to vote McCain anyway). I don't think that any inexperienced labels will stick-- primarily because I'm not sure the Democrats are good at this smear thing.

I think this is the best possible pick he could have made.

Although....how does she fill McCain's "weakness" on the economy? That's why it makes no sense.

pxleyes

Banned
Huzah said:
Well if your not gona vote of Mccain because LOL HES OLD then I don't think anything will convince you otherwise and you're already drinking the kool aid so why would care what Mccain does?
I don't know anyone here who isn't voting for McSame because he's old.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
eznark said:
I think the pick is smart. The only real hit against her right now is "experience" which is obviously something Obama does not want to dwell on. Additionally, she meets every requirement of the base, which McCain clearly does not.

And she is an attractive women, who will play well on TV.

Better than his other options anyway.

The major setback being the Hillary factor. She probably won't let a woman waltz into the whitehouse without a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom