• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
Tamanon said:
That's not a good sign.:lol
That's kinda the point. No one really knows anything about her, and this brings two benefits:

1. She's hard to attack.
2. The media will now devote a decent amount of time to telling us all about her, increasing McCain's % of coverage.

BenjaminBirdie said:
I did like a billion times.
But nobody listens to you.

Rur0ni

Amazed.

Hopefully the VP debate goes over well...

I want to see the impact of this... Talk about marginalizing Obama's speech.

Krowley

KingGondo said:
I don't think the Clintons will ever be excited about campaigning for Obama. You think they give a shit about Palin? If people look beyond the female thing (and many here obviously aren't), she is the perfect ideological fit for McCain.

She's like a younger, less experienced, female McCain.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
BenjaminBirdie said:
I did like a billion times.

you mean 'because she doesn't bring anything significant" ? that's a highly conclusory statement and far too early to make. Picking a relatively unknown woman for a republican VP seems pretty ballsy to me...but whatever, it will all play out. People pretending to know how this will play out are really just making shit up

I really don't know what to think about this selection.

Been reading some of the conservative blogs and came across this perspective from powerline:

UPDATE: OK, it's later. I'm worried about Palin. I'm afraid she may be the Geraldine Ferraro of 2008. If she really is the nominee, will it come across as a desperation move, a Hail Mary, as Mondale's choice of Ferraro did in 1984? I'm afraid so. Her experience just doesn't justify a place on the ticket. If McCain really wanted to go radical, Bobby Jindal was the far sounder choice--but maybe Jindal turned him down, on the theory that he needs to do his job as Governor of Louisiana before trying to go national.

On the bright side, Mitt Romney reportedly is in Dayton too, so maybe he's the Veep pick and Palin is just there to introduce him. Or something like that.

ONE MORE: The AP says the McCain camp "hopes the announcement of his running mate will stunt any momentum that Democratic rival Barack Obama might get from the just concluded Democratic National Convention." If it really is Palin, I'm afraid the opposite will happen. Press reaction will be 100% negative; the emphasis will all be on Palin's inexperience--she's been Governor of Alaska for less than two years--and the fallout will augment, not limit, Obama's convention bounce. The most important thing McCain has going for him in this race is the perception that he is the serious candidate. Choosing a running mate who will be widely perceived as unqualified would go a long way toward squandering that advantage.

Don't get me wrong: I like Sarah Palin, from what little I know of her, and I'd much rather have her as President than Barack Obama. What we're talking here is politics. If McCain loses the election, it's all for naught.

PAUL adds: I agree with John, and it's not just politics. I don't want to prejudge Palin, but she's going to have to persuade me she's qualified for the presidency, and this won't be easy. I hope we're witnessing the kind of misdirection that promised us Edith Clement and delivered John Roberts. Not that we have a Roberts for this office.

Cloudy

Banned
GashPrex said:
people keep saying "this is a terrible pick!" but nobody actually says why...

I can see the Democrats ad right now.

"God forbid something bad happen to John McCain but is Sarah Palin.....ready to lead?"

They will use McCain's own words on him..

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Rur0ni said:
Amazed.

Hopefully the VP debate goes over well...

I want to see the impact of this... Talk about marginalizing Obama's speech.

Given the timing of the announcement, the speech would have been overshadowed anyway.

Gattsu25

Banned
Good pick.

Will get the Hillaryis44 vote (and some of the others who supported Hillary because her gender was more important, to them, than her policies).

It clashes with McCain's call for a ticket with foreign policy experience...and she's not exactly Pro-Oil either.

Nameless

Honestly, considering how inept the average person is, this may not be a bad pick for McCain. I can totally see the same group of undecided soccer moms who voted for Bush in droves because "he seemed like a nice guy", now throwing their support behind the McCain-Palin ticket simply to see a middle-aged, family oritented woman like themselves as Veep.

This may be one of the most desperate VEEP picks of all-time, but I'm scared shitless that this could possibly "work". Palin could easily end up being a very big hit among key demographics. :(

Tamanon

Banned
Zeliard said:
Does Palin know her economics?

Eh, her only experience was as a sports reporter and then city council/mayor/governor, so I'd say not really at all.

And WTF? She actually decided to run as a VP when she just had a kid in April?

Kolgar

I first heard about her months ago in an opinion piece stating the reasons she'd make a great VP pick for McCain. I was sold immediately.

Then it all went quiet. I didn't hear her name again... until now.

And I said "yess!" If Palin's the choice, this race just got more interesting. She's got a good track record and she's well liked by her party.

I can't claim to be a political expert of any kind, but as a voter who's been keeping tabs on this election, I would be very happy to see McCain pick Palin.

giga

Nameless said:
Honestly, considering how inept the average person is, this may not be a bad pick for McCain. I can totally see the same group of undecided soccer moms who voted for Bush in droves because "he seemed like a nice guy", now throwing their support behind the McCain-Palin ticket simply to see a middle-aged, family oritented woman like themselves as Veep.

This may be one of the most desperate VEEP picks of all-time, but I'm scared shitless that this could possibly "work". Palin could easily end up being a very big hit among key demographics. :(
just wait till the debates. ;) I expect biden to go all out.

vitaflo

KingGondo said:
As stated before, she still has more executive experience than Obama or Biden.

oh.

Give me a break. Running a campaign of that size for a year is bigger than anything she did in AK in the same amount of time. This pick is a joke. I've love to see her take on Putin. :lol

JCX

If it turns out that Hilary is the cause of the democrats losing this election, she probably won't have another good shot at the presidency.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmmm, interesting choice.

I know nothing about her, but as a woman she adds a bit of novelty spin to his campaign which he has been sorely lacking compared to Obama.

It seems like a fairly obvious play for disaffected Clinton supporters, also..at least the type who supported her because they wanted to see a woman elevated to that office.

(edit : I wanted Clinton to win the nomination, so I'm already seeing danger ahead now..and I'll happily come back to say I told y'all so if things McCain gets in. Obviously if I had a vote, I'd certainly still vote for Obama regardless, but I'm worried now)

Cheebs

Kolgar said:
I first heard about her months ago in an opinion piece stating the reasons she'd make a great VP pick for McCain. I was sold immediately.

Then it all went quiet. I didn't hear her name again... until now.

And I said "yess!" If Palin's the choice, this race just got more interesting. She's got a good track record and she's well liked by her party.

I can't claim to be a political expert of any kind, but as a voter who's been keeping tabs on this election, I would be very happy to see McCain pick Palin.
It's still McCain at the top of the ticket and there is no way anyone should vote for him

Nameless said:

Need my horribly sexist brothers to counteract this =/

I'm nervous about the election again. Goddammit.

Azrael

delirium said:
I have to disagree with your view that McCain is a neocon. It seems to me, neocon is being pushed as an buzzword to call any Republican candidate evil and tie them to the dismal presidency of Bush.

To me, neocon means an imperialist foreign policy + unconditional support of Israel and its most extremist elements. On those counts, McCain is even more of a neocon than George W. Bush. This is a guy who will bomb Iran if he has the chance and wanted NATO to intervene in Georgia.

Not that I think he will bomb Iran, because Iraq is going to explode next year if McCain is elected president. Iran is keeping a lot of the Shiite militants under control. Muqtada al Sadr is practically under house arrest in Iran right now. Everyone's talking about how great the surge was right now. Just wait until next year when Iran unleashes those elements after McCain gets elected to keep him from even thinking about bombing their country.

Gremmie4

Incognito said:
In the end, though, Vice President's don't move votes.

Unless they are bad choices. How many people are going to be comfortable putting her second in command at the White House when you have a 72 year old guy with a history of health problems and being subjected to excessive interrogation techniques?

Zeliard

teruterubozu said:
You can already see the Palin page count growing here.

The Palin choice will be heavily discussed, as the Biden pick and everything else about this election has been, but I don't at all see how it "marginalizes" Obama's speech last night. If anything, now that the veeps have been chosen, attention will likely be re-focused entirely back on the big two pretty soon.

Bulla564

Banned
Pro's: it EFFECTIVELY captures the media's attention COMPLETELY away from Obama from now until the debates/other news. It will get women curious, and it is a better pick than Lieberman.

Con's: Unlike Obama, this was not a VP pick based on governing the country. It was a desperate political move to try to get votes. This will backfire during the campaign, and during the debates. Picturing Palin from Alaska to the Middle East will be a tough cookie to sell.

vitaflo said:
Give me a break. Running a campaign of that size for a year is bigger than anything she did in AK in the same amount of time. This pick is a joke. I've love to see her take on Putin. :lol

well maybe not her, but i dont worry about Putin for a second with McCain.

Gremmie4 said:
Unless they are bad choices. How many people are going to be comfortable putting her second in command at the White House when you have a 72 year old guy with a history of health problems and being subjected to excessive interrogation techniques?

Yeah, if shes president, America's screwed. People who vote for McCain are taking a gamble that he will stay healthy

teruterubozu said:
You can already see the Palin page count growing here.
Yeah, but this might as well be a 24 hour news cycle here. Of course we're talking about Palin. It's breaking news. That's what we do here. It doesn't mean that Obama's speech has been forgotten.

To invalidate the point, do I need to steer it back away from Palin? All right. Roundtable discussion, gentlemen: how many times did you swoon when Obama was speaking? I think I must have hit a baker's dozen, myself.

Tamanon

Banned
"I am pleased to see Senator Obama acknowledge the huge potential Alaska’s natural gas reserves represent in terms of clean energy and sound jobs," Governor Palin said. "The steps taken by the Alaska State Legislature this past week demonstrate that we are ready, willing and able to supply the energy our nation needs."

"We in Alaska feel that crunch and are taking steps to address it right here at home," Governor Palin said. "This is a tool that must be on the table to buy us time until our long-term energy plans can be put into place. We have already enjoyed the support of Alaska Senator Ted Stevens, and it is gratifying to see Senator Obama get on board."

Huh, just a few weeks ago from Palin. That was the main reason I wrote her off.

Farmboy

It's a game changer, and that's what McCain needs. Whether she'll ultimately do more good than harm remains to be seen. I agree with most of BenjaminBirdie's counterarguments, especially the fact that she might have too little appeal for the indepedents McCain needs, but unlike Romney or Pawlenty, this is certainly a wild card in an election that I feel would have probably tilted towards Obama had things played out predictably from here on out (which of course they never would have, even without a surprising Veep pick from McCain).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom