• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
In all honesty Hillary could fill that role nicely.

Not really. At all. Hillary is not on the ticket. She's not as directly exposed to anything McCain throws at Obama-Biden as Palin is to anything Obama throws as McCain-Palin.

McCain now has (grand)fatherly experience, on a number of levels and novelty and youth lady as his VP. I'm afraid that's going to be a really powerful combination, certainly from an image POV :(

Gaborn said:
i don't think her gender matters any more than Obama's race matters.

Which is..a lot, as much as people might not like to admit it. His race, the fact that he's the first black man to reach this stage - all of that - adds a sense of history and excitement to his campaign that has fueled his momentum.

Diablos

Why couldn't it be Romney or Lieberman?!

I think this is going to be a tough ticket to beat. USUALLY no one votes for the VP, but the VP is a woman

eznark said:
why is it okay to say Palin is only in this position because she is a woman?

sounds....familiar?

It's okay to say it because it's true.

VP picks, and presidential for that matter, are not nondiscriminatory. All politicians are there for some serendipitous reason.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Steve Youngblood said:
Okay, this will generate buzz. But what does that mean. Again, I'm not saying that McCain screwed up here, but you are getting carried away. I would advise waiting until after the RNC before trumpeting this as the greatest political move ever.

If you paid attention, I've only so far praised the short term implications of this pick. Just like you, I'm waiting to see how this carries beyond the convention and into the debates.

I just said she had no economic background, that's all, don't be such a ninny.

And I was pointing out that, if you go by education/political background, neither does Obama. It's all about who you surround yourself with. Obama has worked to become more economically-minded, and so can she (if she hasn't already, I'm sure that's a priority now).

Agree with some of your stuff but you are way over-reaching here with the bolded.

I strongly believe that the RNC will get a lot more coverage/buzz/ratings because of this pick. Not just because she's a woman, but because she's a fresh face and folks will tune in now that had no previous interest in the RNC. Personally, I didn't plan to watch any of it outside of McCain's acceptance speech. Now I'm tuning in when it's her turn to speak as well. I think a lot of Americans will tune in as well, especially as the press coverage increases the buzz around this pick.

gofreak said:
Not really. At all. Hillary is not on the ticket. She's not as directly exposed to anything McCain throws at Obama-Biden as Palin is to anything Obama throws as McCain-Palin.

McCain now has (grand)fatherly experience, on a number of levels and novelty and youth lady as his VP. I'm afraid that's going to be a really powerful combination, certainly from an image POV :(

It doesn't matter. She can diminish the pick's impact on women voters in like half a speech.

Huzah

Tamanon said:
I just said she had no economic background, that's all, don't be such a ninny. Even a moron would admit she adds nothing substantive to the ticket policy-wise, it's a purely demographic/cosmetic pick.

With Mccain as the runner, it's not like the VP needs to bring more experience to solidify Mccain. Even if economy is his weak point, his economic adviser and whoever appoints to his cabinet will have a significantly more impact than his VP choice.

What's the meme on Mccain? Boring? Old? The same? Doesn't palin counteract all of these points?

eznark

Banned
RiskyChris said:
It's okay to say it because it's true.

VP picks, and presidential for that matter, are not nondiscriminatory. All politicians are there for some serendipitous reason.

Really, because people freaked out when the same was suggested of Obama.

Tamanon

Banned
Gaborn said:
i don't think her gender matters any more than Obama's race matters.

She wasn't voted in. Do you believe that McCain would've picked a male governor for only 1 year from Alaska as his Veep?:p Because everything Palin has, Pawlenty has more of, Jindal also.

omg rite said:
Is this the part where Obama supporters lie to themselves and pretend Palin isn't the best possible choice out of the people in the running?
I think Pawlenty would have been a smarter choice. An anti-choice woman isn't going to siphon Hillary voters as well as the McCain folks might think.

Zeliard

Amir0x said:
From here on out until election day, the most important role for a VP is the debates.

Biden is now going to have to gracefully apply pressure without looking mean. A very difficult balancing act for him

The VP debates will definitely be rough for him. There was even talk about the danger of Obama looking like a bully when he attacked Hillary in the primaries, and Biden is just a tad bit more tempermental. I just don't think that outside of the debates, Biden will concentrate that much of his attention on Palin, but rather on McCain. Or maybe that's just what I hope.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
omg rite said:
Is this the part where Obama supporters lie to themselves and pretend Palin isn't the best possible choice out of the people in the running?
Looks it.

edit: This surrogate dude has terrible teeth.

Gaborn

Tamanon said:
She wasn't voted in. Do you believe that McCain would've picked a male governor for only 1 year from Alaska as his Veep?:p Because everything Palin has, Pawlenty has more of, Jindal also.

I think the only way the Palin's gender matters is because of her decision not to abort her son with Downs Syndrome. That probably (aside from her already pro life record) looks EXCELLENT to social conservatives and does nothing to harm her with pro choicers. I think though that for the most part she was picked because she is a young conservative, so it may have been a "Sam" Palin as VP if she was male, but it might have been someone else.

speculawyer said:
I think Pawlenty would have been a smarter choice. An anti-choice woman isn't going to siphon Hillary voters as well as the McCain folks might think.

There is a lot of independent women who haven’t decided yet..and this could sway them. Obama fans are fooling themselves if you don't think this is the best pick. Yes people are that shallow, deal with it.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BenjaminBirdie said:
It doesn't matter. She can diminish the pick's impact on women voters in like half a speech.

Depends where many of their loyalties lie - to Hillary, or to 'women', in general. Palin can create history now for women, even if not to the same degree that Hillary could have.

I dunno.

If Palin puts out a strong show at the convention, I can see her becoming a Hillary surrogate to a lot of women. Any Clinton supporters who had even a slight inkling about not voting for Obama are probably going to be pushed over now because of this, IMO.

Kildace

Thinking about it, McCain next to Palin is going to look like a sick old guy and his hot on-call nurse ...
Kinda weird.

gofreak said:
valid points

I somewhat agree but I wonder how the fact that she is pro-life (and that Hillary will definitely make sure that everyone knows it) will look to most non-republican women.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Any Clinton supporters who won't vote for Obama are not Clinton supporters. The Clintons could not have been more clear.

Obama can't be concerned with angling for crazies-- they don't respond rationally to stimuli.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
gofreak said:

Which is..a lot, as much as people might not like to admit it. His race, the fact that he's the first black man to reach this stage - all of that - adds a sense of history and excitement to his campaign that has fueled his momentum.

Racists are republican so it doesnt make much of a difference imo. But yes it's a brilliant pick by those damn schmucks.

edit---damn palin's hot

Branduil

Amir0x said:
site or ban
"Do you know women? All she'll have to do is complain about how men always leave the toilet seat up, follow it up with a complaint about how awful the menstrual cycle is and/or how men will never know the pain of childbirth, and then 'Bam!', all women are putty in her hands."

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Biden at the debate: "I know Geraldine Ferraro. I worked with Geraldine Ferraro. Mrs. Palin, you aren't even close to being Geraldine Ferraro."

Nameless

Its funny how things work out. With this announcement Hillary may just have gotten her wish of being the one who takes back the White House for the Dems. Obama is going to really need her over the next 2 months to negate what Palin brings to McCain's ticket. Michele Obama's considerable hike in celebrity after the DNC should help as well.

Clearly the tightening of the polls didn't make McCain feel secure enough to pick a vanilla running mate. His choice of Sarah Palin is way outside the box, and considering her thin resume it seems like a pretty blatant grab for female voters. But I'm not at all convinced the gambit will work- sure McCain will dig up a few disaffected Hillary voters for TV, but the sheer obviousness of this maneuver may cause a backlash and actually galvanize women against him. For now though, it's an effective way of moving the spotlight off Obama's historic address last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom