• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
I know you guys hate Romney, and rightfully so, but he would be a pretty good pick. I'd be worried if McCain chose him. Personally I'm crossing my fingers for Lieberman or Giuliani.

Oh, and boo at Biden.

hokahey

A couple of thoughts:

The Obama team better not try to reel in Biden's mouth. Let him kick some ass. It's desperately needed right now.

Also, it would be funny as shit if McCain found a young black man to be his VP pick.

hokahey

thekad said:
I know you guys hate Romney, and rightfully so, but he would be a pretty good pick. I'd be worried if McCain chose him. Personally I'm crossing my fingers for Lieberman or Giuliani.

Wrong. Evangelicals want nothing to do with Romney and his magical underpants. A Romney pick would be a god send.

Oh, and boo at Biden.

Wrong again. Perfect pick for what a VP actually does.

hokahey said:
A couple of thoughts:

The Obama team better not try to reel in Biden's mouth. Let him kick some ass. It's desperately needed right now.

Also, it would be funny as shit if McCain found a young black man to be his VP pick.

It's one thing to have a black man be a republican mouthpiece and quite something different to have a black man try for republican vp spot. Not likely to happen this gen.

Xisiqomelir

Wow, CNN turns out to be legit.

Gratz to Biden, but I'm going to echo everyone in the Clark/Our girl Kate camp and restate that this is really not the best choice for Bambam. It's okay though because he's still going to win no sweat.

Our girl Kate :(

hokahey said:
A couple of thoughts:

Bobby Jindal is the closest thing the Republicans have to a "young black man" at this point.

esbern

"I've had a great relationship [with Indian Americans]," Biden said. "In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

-Joe Biden. in 2006.

TDG

Banned
I think Biden will do a great job. Yeah, not everthing is smiles and sunshine right now, with assholes MSNBC talking about Clinton, and McCain releasing that excellent ad, but things will change.

For one things, it's just going to be exciting to see the two together later today on the stage, and it will produce a lot of positive talk about the two. (Plus we'll get to see the sexy new campaign signs)

For another, McCain's ad perfectly invites Obama's campaign to attack McCain for changing just about every single position of his in the past eight years.

Lastly, McCain's sort of like a message board troll at this point. Instead of putting his opinion (VP pick) out there, he's just trolling everyone else's opinion (VP pick.) But at some point, he's going to have to toss his opinion (VP pick) out there, and when he does there's going to be a lot of people very happy to troll his opinion (VP pick.)

Diablos

New Data: Impact of Biden
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/be...08/new_data_impact_of_biden.html?hpid=topnews

Barack Obama's choice of Joe Biden as his running mate is unlikely to shake-up the presidential horse race. In a new Washington Post-ABC News poll completed last night, three-quarters of voters said picking Biden would not sway their votes one way or the other. And about as many said they would be more apt to support Obama with Biden on the ticket as said the choice would make them less likely to vote Democratic on Election Day (13 to 10 percent).

Q. If Obama chooses Delaware Senator Joe Biden as his vice presidential running mate, would that make you more likely to vote for Obama, less likely, or wouldn't it make any difference in your vote?

rcojyg.png

SOURCE: Washington Post-ABC News poll conducted by telephone Aug. 19-22, 2008 among a random national sample of 916 registered voters. Results have a three point error margin.

esbern said:
"I've had a great relationship [with Indian Americans]," Biden said. "In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking."

-Joe Biden. in 2006.

All I see is a joke, albeit not in the best of taste. But a joke.

People tell these things sometimes.

esbern said:

-Joe Biden. in 2006.
apu.jpg

hokahey said:
A couple of thoughts:

bio_alan_keyes1.jpg

Ooohh ooooh . .. Pick Me! PICK ME!

Lemme tell you that story about the smelly toad.

GhaleonEB

TDG said:
I think Biden will do a great job. Yeah, not everthing is smiles and sunshine right now, with assholes MSNBC talking about Clinton, and McCain releasing that excellent ad, but things will change.
My first reaction to the ad: that's Biden praising McCain from 2005. I think it's a good opportunity for Biden to talk about all the positions McCain has shifted since then (which is a LOT), not to mention tactics, as a way of explaining the quote.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Diablos said:
New Data: Impact of Biden

So he does absolutely nothing for Obama? *sigh*

I think it's a pretty underwhelming pick all around and undermines the change stuff. The media is already running with that angle, but I'm going to wait until he gets on the stump with Obama and the debates to see if he will be an asset or not.

This is what I mean about the media going for the jugular:

Analysis: Biden pick shows lack of confidence

DENVER - The candidate of change went with the status quo. In picking Sen. Joe Biden to be his running mate, Barack Obama sought to shore up his weakness — inexperience in office and on foreign policy — rather than underscore his strength as a new-generation candidate defying political conventions.

He picked a 35-year veteran of the Senate — the ultimate insider — rather than a candidate from outside Washington, such as Govs. Tim Kaine of Virginia or Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas; or from outside his party, such as Sen. Chuck Hagel of Nebraska; or from outside the mostly white male club of vice presidential candidates. Hillary Rodham Clinton didn't even make his short list.

The picks say something profound about Obama: For all his self-confidence, the 47-year-old Illinois senator worried that he couldn't beat Republican John McCain without help from a seasoned politician willing to attack. The Biden selection is the next logistical step in an Obama campaign that has become more negative — a strategic decision that may be necessary but threatens to run counter to his image.

Democratic strategists, fretting over polls that showed McCain erasing Obama's lead this summer, welcomed the move. They, too, worried that Obama needed a more conventional — read: tougher — approach to McCain.

"You've got to hand it to the candidate and the campaign. They have a great sense of timing and tone and appropriateness. Six months ago, people said he wasn't tough enough on Hillary Clinton — he was being too passive — but he got it right at the right time," said Democratic strategist Jim Jordan. "He'll get it right again."

Indeed, Obama has begun to aggressively counter McCain's criticism with negative television ads and sharp retorts from the campaign trail.

A senior Obama adviser, speaking on condition of anonymity, said his boss has expressed impatience with what he calls a "reverence" inside his campaign for his message of change and new politics. In other words, Obama is willing — even eager — to risk what got him this far if it gets him to the White House.

Biden brings a lot to the table. An expert on national security, the Delaware senator voted in 2002 to authorize military intervention in Iraq but has since become a vocal critic of the conflict. He won praise for a plan for peace in Iraq that would divide the country along ethnic lines.

Chief sponsor of a sweeping anti-crime bill that passed in 1994, Biden could help inoculate Obama from GOP criticism that he's soft on crime — a charge his campaign fears will drive a wedge between white voters and the first black candidate with a serious shot at the White House.

So the question is whether Biden's depth counters Obama's inexperience — or highlights it?

After all, Biden is anything but a change agent, having been in office longer than half of all Americans have been alive. Longer than McCain.

And he talks too much.

On the same day he announced his second bid for the presidency, Biden found himself explaining why he had described Obama as "clean."

And there's the 2007 ABC interview in which Biden said he would stand by an earlier statement that Obama was not ready to serve as president.

It seems Obama is worried that some voters are starting to agree.

The selection of the VP itself never really changes much unless a bitter rival (HRC or LBJ) is chosen. It's all about how he performs on the trail.

Trying to gauge a reaction the same day of the announcement when most people still don't know who Biden is is retarded.

If McCain were smart he would pick a woman. There's a lot of older white women that are upset with obama pick... on top of that it would give McCain campaign a fresh new start with a different angle.

Dax01 said:
So the rally is at 3 PM EST.
Obama/Biden '08!

Looking forward to this today. I hope they both come out with some force and really hit hard on the issues. Not at McCain really, but their stances and the direction they are going to take the county.

ToyMachine228 said:
Looking forward to this today. I hope they both come out with some force and really hit hard on the issues. Not at McCain really, but their stances and the direction they are going to take the county.
Same; can't wait.

Well if Biden's presidential candidate runs are any indication, I'm not too sure of how well he's going to perform on the trail.

I've been an Obama supporter for a while, and this pick just doesn't make any sense to me. Someone please sell me on Biden...

Rur0ni

I imagine the Obama campaign knows what it's doing, and knows what it has to do to win in November, which is all that really matters. If for some reason a wet sock was the best running mate available, and he could win with it, then so be it. :p

ColdDeckEd said:
Well if Biden's presidential candidate runs are any indication, I'm not too sure of how well he's going to perform on the trail.

I've been an Obama supporter for a while, and this pick just doesn't make any sense to me. Someone please sell me on Biden...
Great foreign policy knowledge
many years of experience
Clean, fresh, and well-spoken :D
white
catholic
Great attack dog
Good relations with 'blue collar' democrats
great debater

And here is one that says something but I'm not sure what . . . Obama picked him despite the silly "fresh/clean" remark which shows Obama isn't bothered by faux-controversies like that.

Bad:
Has been a whore for the banks
Can have diarhea of the mouth
From a solid blue-state so no help in a red state like Bayh, Kaine, Clark, seebelius, etc.

Joe Biden is a good choice, my only concern is that he is much older than Obama so it looks wrong with the older guy as 2nd in command, but other than that it's a good choice.

Xeke

Banned
ElectricBlue187 said:
Joe Biden is a good choice, my only concern is that he is much older than Obama so it looks wrong with the older guy as 2nd in command, but other than that it's a good choice.

Cheney is older than Bush.

ColdDeckEd said:

The guy is a foreign policy expert. When I say he is the biggest foreign policy expert in Congress, I mean it. He really is. He's pretty down to earth, always says what he thinks, he's a great attacker, a good debater, and he he brings a lot of knowledge and experience to the ticket. In comparison to an Evan Bayh or Tim Kaine, he really is the superior choice.

Deus Ex Machina said:
If McCain were smart he would pick a woman. There's a lot of older white women that are upset with obama pick... on top of that it would give McCain campaign a fresh new start with a different angle.

you know that could really deal a death blow to Obama if McCain picked a woman as VP it would really make me very nervous about November

seriously is McCain that smart?

all the Biden lovers are really blind to the Change Agent thing coming back to bite Obama hard

Tamanon

Banned
"Joe Biden is the right partner for Barack Obama. His many years of distinguished service to America, his seasoned judgment and his vast experience in foreign policy and national security will match up well with the unique challenges of the 21st Century. An Obama-Biden ticket is a very impressive and strong team. Biden’s selection is good news for Obama and America."

Chuck Hagel trying to get banned from the Rep Convention it seems.:lol

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
McCain spokesman:

"There has been no harsher critic of Obama's readiness to lead this country than Joe Biden."

Sure. Why not. If we consider this a factual and true statement, then Obama has bigger balls than all of Washington. A No Man in a sea of nodding heads.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
HolyStar said:
What does Biden bring that will initiate change?
read the Time interview - Obama has assembled advisers and is looking towards a Cabinet that doesn't conform to his views. he's looking to be challenged, looking for diverting opinions and doesn't want yes men.

it works for me, i think.

TDG

Banned
How cute that the media was all up in arms about how "Biden is the pick that would make everybody happy," after he said it wasn't him, and now that it is him they're ripping Obama apart.

*SIGH*

TDG said:
How cute that the media was all up in arms about how "Biden is the pick that would make everybody happy," after he said it wasn't him, and now that it is him they're ripping Obama apart.

It doesn't matter what people say until after the first rally today. Then we'll get a glimpse at what the chemistry and message is going to be like.

TDG

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
It doesn't matter what people say until after the first rally today. Then we'll get a glimpse at what the chemistry and message is going to be like.
Exactly. I have a feeling the cynicism will melt away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom