• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddb320

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Couldn't it have been like,

"there's something about this guy Barack, America"

the thing that annoyed me about this speech (and the only one really) was "literally"

Ha, damn, that actually makes sense.

Deku

Banned
So does this swing PA in Obama's way for the election?

Seems like McCain will pick Romney to try and pick up Michigan.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Amir0x said:
because of one of his trademark FIRED UP speeches wherein he already made various slip-ups?

Really, you should hold this preemptive crow serving until

1. The debates
2. Obama is elected
3. We see how he is as VP

Until then, nobody knows if he was the right choice. We only have our echo chamber.

He is the right choice if Obama gets elected.

Amir0x

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
He is the right choice if Obama gets elected.

Absolutely not. Plenty of VPs have proven to be a problem in the years after an election. The entire worth of a candidate will own be known by history, not by retrospective victory celebrations. Because in general, winning a GE is RARELY decided or even helped much by a VP.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Amir0x said:
Absolutely not.
You still voting for Obama in the fall?!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
AndyIsTheMoney said:
I said "They", speaking of both candidates

Working bilaterally between parties and breaking down party lines in getting at each representatives true feelings on any particular subject... isn't an issue of kow-towing to your opponent during a fierce election, and letting him rape you in the butt repeatedly with lies, and slanders, while you sit there doing nothing in return.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Amir0x said:
Absolutely not. Plenty of VPs have proven to be a problem in the years after an election. The entire worth of a candidate will own be known by history, not by retrospective victory celebrations. Because in general, winning a GE is RARELY decided or even helped much by a VP.

Man, Ami, you sure are pessimistic.
:lol :lol :lol

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Crayon Shinchan said:
Working bilaterally between parties and breaking down party lines in getting at each representatives true feelings on any particular subject... isn't an issue of kow-towing to your opponent during a fierce election, and letting him rape you in the butt repeatedly with lies, and slanders, while you sit there doing nothing in return.
Did anyone else just get wood from that description?

...no? Just me?

laserbeam

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
How the fuck is Biden's net worth only $150k? Most people posting on GAF probably have a net worth at least that much. Stoopit...

Yeah theres something wrong with that. He makes more then that every year. His house would be worth a few hundred thousand alone in that part of the country

Amir0x

Banned
Verano said:
Man, Ami, you sure are pessimistic.
:lol :lol :lol

I'm not pessimistic. The fact that some here are choosing to lack perspective is the issue.

The question is: Can this guy lead the country, should Obama be incapacitated in some way? Will this guy be an asset to his presidency?

We know how Gore turned out, we know how Cheney turned out. We know how LBJ turned out. These questions are important, because it means more than just an attack dog during the GE. It's a sad day when we think these people only matter to serve as a mouthpiece for a three month period.

GhaleonEB

Pretty good introduction. Starting with the personal story, his character, was effective. Biden showed signs that he's going to be a good attack dog on the stump - won't be reeled in (at least, not much).

The best trend I see coming from the Obama campaign is an increasing use of McCain's own words against him. Biden quoted him several times directly. Obama's last few ads have been quoting him as well. That's the kind of stuff that's hard to counter.
siamesedreamer said:
How the fuck is Biden's net worth only $150k? Most people posting on GAF probably have a net worth at least that much. Stoopit...
McCain's not the only one way out of touch. Holy shit. :lol

Amir0x said:

What are you talking about?

Atrus

Gold Member
siamesedreamer said:
"She also has a doctorate degree which is a problem."

Huh...looks like Biden only wants women cooking and cleaning. Hillary supporters will love that.

Given that Clinton asked women to grab their mops, brooms and vacuums so they could clean up Washington I bet her supporters just might.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Amir0x said:

The question is: Can this guy lead the country, should Obama be incapacitated in some way? Will this guy be an asset to his presidency?

We know how Gore turned out, we know how Cheney turned out. We know how LBJ turned out. These questions are important, because it means more than just an attack dog during the GE.

Obama is a smart guy.

Given that... Biden isn't going to be a Cheney. He's not going to be the man in charge pulling on puppet strings.

He's going to be the counsel for Obama; when decisions are difficult, and he's surrounded by the hubris of yes men... he's going to have Biden close by to talk issues over with. Biden is a smart guy as well; and he can bring up points and issues that Obama may not have fully considered...

That's the kind of VP I'm hoping Biden will be to Obama; and it's quite probable, given how ontop of things Obama and his campaign seem to be in general.

siamesedreamer said:
"She also has a doctorate degree which is a problem."

Huh...looks like Biden only wants women cooking and cleaning. Hillary supporters will love that.
They'd rather vote for the guy who called his wife a cunt.

I'm still not really understanding why he went with Biden. He should have went with someone who had more national security cred to go up against McCain. Biden was against the first gulf war, and for Iraq this time.

Amir0x said:
This answer is self-evident, so pretending to sardonically wonder what it means says more about you than I.

I obviously understand the context of what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense why you are saying it. We just witnessed a fantastic speech by both Obama and Biden, and your going off on Biden being the next Cheney or something.

mckmas8808

Amir0x said:
I'm not pessimistic. The fact that some here are choosing to lack perspective is the issue.

We know how Gore turned out, we know how Cheney turned out. We know how LBJ turned out. These questions are important, because it means more than just an attack dog during the GE. It's a sad day when we think these people only matter to serve as a mouthpiece for a three month period.

Yes Biden is smart as hell and a great advisor to Obama.

VALIS

The reason why Biden was picked was clearly on display today. When Obama knocks Bush and Republicans you agree and nod your head, but when Biden does it it has some teeth and spit behind it and it's inspiring and you clench your fists a little. Obama's campaign needed this. The nice guy routine was suffering against the GOP's smear machine.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Amir0x said:
This answer is self-evident, so pretending to sardonically wonder what it means says more about you than I.
the future hasn't happened yet.

you have to make a right choice in present time, before a right choice can be made in the future.

VALIS said:
The reason why Biden was picked was clearly on display today. When Obama knocks Bush and Republicans you agree and nod your head, but when Biden does it it has some teeth and spit behind it and it's inspiring and you clench your fists a little. Obama's campaign needed this. The nice guy routine was suffering against the GOP's smear machine.

Yep exactly.

VALIS said:

Ive seen Clark a few times on Bill Maher, he can speak with enthusiasm if need be, and he has the national security cred which i see becoming increasingly important.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AndyIsTheMoney said:
Ive seen Clark a few times on Bill Mayer, he can speak with enthusiasm if need be, and he has the national security cred which i see becoming increasingly important.

Bill Mayer? Is that like Bill Maher's and Bill Moyer's illegitimate love child?

AndyIsTheMoney said:
Ive seen Clark a few times on Bill Mayer, he can speak with enthusiasm if need be, and he has the national security cred which i see becoming increasingly important.

Clark has no federal experience though... which I think would have hurt Obama overall, because it would have fueled the "inexperienced" line of attack.

I love Clark, but after this speech it is clear why Biden is completely the right pick, both for winning the election and when Obama takes office.

Clark will be on Obama's staff I am sure.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Hootie said:
Wait wat? I guess I don't understand net worth because how the hell could his be in the NEGATIVE hundred thousands?

When you have more expenses than income. It's called debt.

mckmas8808

VALIS said:

And again Biden kicks ass. And he receives respect for darn near all republicans. There's NO WAY IN HELL Biden lets Romney talk bullcrap on TV or in a debate.

Amir0x

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
I obviously understand the context of what you are saying, but it doesn't make sense why you are saying it. We just witnessed a fantastic speech by both Obama and Biden, and your going off on Biden being the next Cheney or something.

Uh no. The statement from mckmas was: If Obama is elected, that proves Biden is a good pick.

My answer was: The reality is that's not true, as vice presidents serve long-ranging roles reaching from ineffectual powerless peons to extremely influential advisers and demanding critics. And some may even become president, if "worst case scenario." In other words, the value of a vice president extends far beyond a three month general election campaign and a single debate. As such, preemptively determining the value of a candidate (as a statement of fact) is inappropriate and shows a lack of perspective. Nobody said Biden would be the next Cheney - that's a strawman and not worth wasting time on - he was simply an example of a vice president whose role has clearly extended beyond the GE into something much more significant. In that case worse. Just like Gore's role was positive, and LBJ's role was... well you know.

My feelings on Biden are clear, but let's please separate that from the discussion we're having right now. If you guys want to be outraged at things, that's fine... but let's not do that at the expense of decent intellectual exchanges. My comments are very clear about why I answered what I did to mckmas.

mckmas8808 said:
Yes Biden is smart as hell and a great advisor to Obama.

Yes Biden is smart, we don't know if he'll be a great adviser yet. That's the point of these statements.

AndyIsTheMoney said:
He should have went with someone who had more national security cred to go up against McCain.
Biden is the chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee.

Also, it's "should have gone" not "should have went."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom