• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm of the belief that the kids moment was not staged just due to the fact that Obama didn't not react to the event.

One of his weaknesses is that he can't really respond to off track events. He stalls and he surely stalled like I don't know how to react. One of his weaknesses is that it seems that he has to think of every anwser before he anwsers.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People are forgetting Pelosi WAS on the attack tonight. She just fucking sucks. She's fucking terrible and needs to go away.

Is it just me or does the crowd seem to have a "theme" this year?

It is like they purposefully set out make sure half the audience is black and the other half consists of wacky dressed senoirs.

Usually convention audiences look fairly normally with a few weird hat people and a few people who look like they belong at Mardi Gra.

Diablos said:
So there were at least four people in on the Obama assassination plot. And that's just what has been determined.

Security at Invesco Field will be crazy.

Bullet-proof vest and snipers, I would assume.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Is it just me or does the crowd seem to have a "theme" this year?

It is like they purposefully set out make sure half the audience is black and the other half consists of wacky dressed senoirs.

Usually convention audiences look fairly normally with a few weird hat people and a few people who look like they belong at Mardi Gra.

As long as no one starts giving out beads we should be ok.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Tommie Hu$tle said:
I'm of the belief that the kids moment was not staged just due to the fact that Obama didn't not react to the event.

One of his weaknesses is that he can't really respond to off track events. He stalls and he surely stalled like I don't know how to react. One of his weaknesses is that it seems that he has to think of every anwser before he anwsers.

Are you sure it wasn't just a delay in the satellite feeds?

laserbeam

Banned
Y2Kev said:
People are forgetting Pelosi WAS on the attack tonight. She just fucking sucks. She's fucking terrible and needs to go away.
2cp3k3c.jpg

she makes it so easy

capslock said:
Are you sure it wasn't just a delay in the satellite feeds?

Could have been but, there was one or two anwsers he ignored and he a had a look on his face sorta like "Sweetie, you are taking Daddy off message!"

Nash said:
The British newspapers would tear something like that apart as empty, sentimental fluff. Especially with the whole stunt with the kids. The contrast is massive, it's just really odd to see all this slickly done sentimental nonsense being eaten up by everyone and seen as important to the candidate's chances.

It wasn't empty though. It almost didn't matter what Michelle said, her tone was so genuine. That's what mattered most. Any doubts about her love for America were nulled.

I don't see what's wrong with that, you can tell a hell of a lot about a person by how they talk, and it goes much further than many things. She touched on would be sentimental cliches with her anecdotes but made them real. I don't see how that can be nonsense.

There is something to be said for acting like a human being and showing real emotion. On a basic level every human relates to that. There is no fluff there. The human element is not something that should be glossed over.

Y2Kev said:
That was the Democratic equivalent of "That's Not Change We Can Believe in.. hur hur hurrrr"

Good thing it was followed by two epic speeches, both epic in their own ways.

teiresias

Nash said:
"An Obligation To Tell People What They Want To Hear" would be more apt ;)

The British newspapers would tear something like that apart as empty, sentimental fluff. Especially with the whole stunt with the kids. The contrast is massive, it's just really odd to see all this slickly done sentimental nonsense being eaten up by everyone and seen as important to the candidate's chances.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. The political system in Britain is way better, which is why they had a government with the ethical and moral fortitude to successfully deliver enough pushback to the Bush Administration to prevent the needless and irresponsible invasion of Iraq. Thank the Queen for Britain.

Bulla564

Banned
Downright INSPIRING speech, that needs to be placed right up there with speeches that have touched the American people, and sparks REAL change.

I'm a grown ass man, and I teared up at the part was driving his born daughter carefully, with Michelle holding her in her arms. This struck me as a metaphore for Obama protecting the currently fragile America, looking towards its future, and driving her along, with Michelle on his side. DEEP DEEP SHIT.

worldrunover said:
As long as no one starts giving out beads we should be ok.

Some of those old ladies may think they are at Mardi Gra as we speak. Quite honestly, I think the entire audience consists of Black History and Feminist Theory professors.

I realy don't want to see those old saggy titties swing!

Diablos

Tyrone Slothrop said:
there're likely several different obama assasination plots going on as we speak. it's not talked about much, but the campaign trail is literally going to be a test of survival.
When is the last time a Presidential nominee had so many attempts on his life like this just for the convention?

GhaleonEB

Mr. Obama is winding a path through battleground states as he makes his way to the party gathering in Colorado. His campaign selected the home of Jim and Alicia Girardeau, both of whom are social workers, to watch Michelle Obama give her prime-time address.

He sat at one end of the couch next to Jim, 45, with Alicia, 44, seated in an overstuffed chair next to him. As a video tribute to his wife played, he smiled as he watched with his hands folded under his chin, his elbows resting on his knee.

When his wife took the stage, Mr. Obama turned toward a small group of reporters and said, “It’s nerve-wracking.” As he turned back to the television, with an image of his wife on the screen, he added: “She’s pretty cute.”
For some reason, that made me laugh pretty hard.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/08/25/live-from-denver-let-the-convention-begin/?hp

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Tommie Hu$tle said:

:( sad.. that this is a weakness. goddam america!

besada

Banned
Diablos said:
When is the last time a President had so many attempts on his life like this??

Well, we only know of a single possible one, so I'd say he was on par with Regan, Ford, and Clinton (although his were all fucking crazy).

laserbeam

Banned
Diablos said:
When is the last time a President had so many attempts on his life like this??

All the time. Politics is so devisive theres nut jobs all over. Shit a lug like Ford had 2 attempts on his life while President

Diablos

One of his weaknesses is that it seems that he has to think of every anwser before he anwsers.
Opposed to Bush shouting off any old thing that came from his pea-sized brain, I think I prefer this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Diablos said:
Opposed to Bush shouting off any old thing that came from his pea-sized brain, I think I prefer this.

This is America. I want my answers now. Even if they're wrong.

Diablos said:
When is the last time a Presidential nominee had so many attempts on his life like this just for the convention?

for some bizarre reason society tends to kill its leaders who have strong messianic qualities. in that respect, he's probably in more danger than any president we've had before.

Diablos

besada said:
Well, we only know of a single possible one, so I'd say he was on par with Regan, Ford, and Clinton (although his were all fucking crazy).
That's what I mean; how severe were the threats?

This plot was, what, 700+ yards with a sniper rifle... that's pretty serious.

Diablos

Tyrone Slothrop said:
for some bizarre reason society tends to kill its leaders who have strong messianic qualities. in that respect, he's probably in more danger than any president we've had before.
I can't tell if you are joking or not. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom