• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF General Election Thread of Conventions (Sarah Palin McCain VP Pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.
schuelma said:
She was pretty vague when talking about Obama, honestly. I'm not overwhelmed.

Agreed.

She did what was expected of her, but it didn't come across as truly heartfelt. She had more positives to say about general "Democrats" than Obama.

In fact, when she was spouting vague platitudes about what Obama would accomplish, I thought she was going to break into the whole "And the clouds will part, and angels will sing, etc. etc."

Hard to expect much more of her though. Just wish she had more of a message specific to her upset followers - to convince them that Obama has proven himself to her.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
In terms of Hillary speeches and what I expected from her (my expectations were low) that was definitely a good speech. Could she have gone further in making the case for Obama? Of course she could have. Did she go far enough, seeing as this is Hillary? I think she did. She exceeded my expectations anyway.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
minus_273 said:
i like how one hour ago clinton was evil and ugly and now shes hot. gaf delivers.

One hour ago people people didn't know what to expect and it very well could have gone the other way. I doubt anyone has forgotten that, the fact is that she really came through for Obama and how could anyone who is in support of the democratic party not be happy about that?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Agreed. I'd give it an A, though. She was able to do several key things:

1. Come out for Obama without question or hesitation.
2. Tie George W Bush to John McCain
3. Point out her own qualifications just in case, 2012 or 2016.
4. Kick McCan't in the shins a little bit.
5. Vote for Obama.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
VanMardigan said:
As far as convention speeches, this is tops so far. Michele's last night wasn't even in the same league. I'm thinking it won't be topped until Obama on Thursday.
No question. I just wouldn't go as far as to say I completely forgot about Michelle's speech yesterday is all.

TreIII

sp0rsk said:
One hour ago people people didn't know what to expect and it very well could have gone the other way. I doubt anyone has forgotten that, the fact is that she really came through for Obama and how could anyone who is in support of the democratic party not be happy about that?

Thank you!

This is supposed to be more along the thing of unity, and it seemed like it did the job. Any body who didn't take this message and run with is basically Hillaryis44 fodder.

VanMardigan said:
As far as convention speeches, this is tops so far. Michele's last night wasn't even in the same league. I'm thinking it won't be topped until Obama on Thursday.

They were both equally successful in reaching their goals. By design Clinton's speech had to be better, so it was, but Michelle is a better speaker.

TDG

Banned
That was really good. I can't blame her for anything. Any of her supporters who don't vote for her are just blind morons. She did a great job.

For the record, I've always thought that the PUMA people were republicans planted to cause trouble. Like when Rove sent out guys to the polls in battleground states dressed as flamboyant gay guys holding Kerry signs.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
OuterWorldVoice said:
But so does Chris.
Chris didn't say it was a "grand slam" and "couldn't have been better." He liked it, but Keith's immediate exuberance seems more like cheerleading than analysis.

For the record, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

ronito

I'm seriously wondering if I watched the wrong speech because I thought the words were right but everything just felt wrong with that speech and there were too many hardy-har moments. It just lacked conviction to me.

APF

Anyone who says Hillary didn't step up, or that her speech was too self-congratulatory, is a world-class anus.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Agreed on the last page comment; it would be hard to pin anybody to be 'against' equal pay or EOE anything. Maybe a missed vote or something?

Lemonz

281brc1.jpg

sprsk

I think if it were any other candidate, it'd be hard to top that speech, but Barack is probably the only guy out there that could deliver something better.

ronito said:
I'm seriously wondering if I watched the wrong speech because I thought the words were right but everything just felt wrong with that speech and there were too many hardy-har moments. It just lacked conviction to me.

All of her speeches seem like that to me. She just doesn't convey emotion that well. I thought it was essentially what she needed to say. Any complaints would be nitpicks.

Tamanon

Banned
John Oliver eviscerating PUMAs on Daily Show.:lol

And yeah Hillary did good tonight, now we get the next few days of "Did she do enough?"

Amazing speech. She did everything she needed to do, her passion was evident in her voice and gestures, and she made the best possible case to her holdout supporters. Her attacks on McCain were tough yet grounded with the type of wit and humor that makes people remember the exact quotes. Her basic point was simple though: we are all democrats and believe the same things, therefore it is imperative to vote for Obama. Perhaps the best thing she said was when she asked whether her voters were voting for her or the various people who need the help the republicans are not interested in providing. I thought that was the key point here.

Very impressed.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
sp0rsk said:
I think if it were any other candidate, it'd be hard to top that speech, but Barack is probably the only guy out there that could deliver something better.

I think Biden might have some kick in him yet. Don't forget, Obama was the Tuesday night speaker 4 years ago.

TDG

Banned
Oh my god, the Daily Show bit on PUMA. This is killing me. :lol :lol :lol

APF said:
Anyone who says Hillary didn't step up, or that her speech was too self-congratulatory, is a world-class anus.
I agree.

general on obama, you could have replaced the word obama with any other democrat and it would of still made sense. A couple jabs at Mccain, but didn't really dig into him. A couple really good quotes. She did just enough to not look like the bad guy if he loses, but that's about it.

minus_273

Banned
sp0rsk said:

have you looked at drudge? drudge is the defacto assignment editor for the news media. the lead story will be the other clinton. They are playing both sides. Its brilliant.

sp0rsk said:
I honestly thought Michelle's speech was better...

And I think Biden's speech will be better as well, but after Michelle's speech, I have VERY HIGH expectations for Obama's speech.

It's going to every kind of epic.

minus_273 said:
have you looked at drudge? drudge is the defacto assignment editor for the news media. the lead story will be the other clinton. They are playing both sides. Its brilliant.
You were talking about the people of GAF before, not drudge.

ratcliffja said:
All of her speeches seem like that to me. She just doesn't convey emotion that well. I thought it was essentially what she needed to say. Any complaints would be nitpicks.

That's a good point. I guess I've never been bowled over by a Hillary speech.

laserbeam

Banned
ronito said:

Hillary had to give the speech for her career. The Speech was good but it was apparent when you view the whole speech that it was halfhearted. Her best attack was the twin cities and bush/mccain line and that is shown to not be very reliable in polls.

She said what needed to be said so if Obama loses she can run in 2012 saying I told you fuckers so

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So far, so good. We had the intro to Obama last night, and the McCain rips tonight. Joe and Bill go tomorrow, then by the time the main event gets here Thursday, Obama will be ready to grab this election by the horns.

As with everything else Obama's campaign has been involved in, the execution has been top notch. These guys certainly don't operate like a first time campaign.

Tamanon

Banned
VanMardigan said:
So far, so good. We had the intro to Obama last night, and the McCain rips tonight. Joe and Bill go tomorrow, then by the time the main event gets here Thursday, Obama will be ready to grab this election by the horns.

As with everything else Obama's campaign has been involved in, the execution has been top notch. These guys certainly don't operate like a first time campaign.

Tomorrow is foreign policy, it'll probably be the heaviest McCain assault yet.

Amir0x said:
I'd give it an A-. She had a few moments where she clearly dragged out the celebratory nostalgia, but overall it did what it had to do. Anyone left is clearly secret Republicans or closet idiots.

Agreed. The only thing more that I was really hoping for was a specific shot at McCain for trying to mislead her supporters.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
i am sorry but what exactly did you expect her to do? if she cared at all for her political career she had to say the words she said tonight. I mean a 2nd grader could figure that out, and then people make seem like she did some heroic thing by endorsing Obama.

minus_273

Banned
Dax01 said:

And I think Biden's speech will be better as well, but after Michelle's speech, I have VERY HIGH expectations for Obama's speech.

im saying the clintons are plying you guys like fiddle and im loving every moment of it.

I thought the speech was pretty good, although she didn't praise Obama enough specifically throughout a lot of it. There were stronger arguments for him she could have made than "we desperately need a Democrat, whoever it happens to be".

Still, it was a pretty good speech overall. She hit on all the main points she needed to, moved the audience, and didn't stumble or stammer once.

Tamanon said:
Yeah, I expect Biden to hit on McCain hard.

minus_273 said:
im saying the clintons are plying you guys like fiddle and im loving every moment of it.
I'm being played? What the fuck have I said that makes you think I'm being played? :lol And what about everyone else? Tell me how each one of us is being played.

sprsk

Dax01 said:

I'm actually with APF with Michelle being distracting during her speech. I thought Hillary nailed it.

Also, we need an anigif of Bill mouthing "I love you" just before Hillary's speech.

VanMardigan said:

That's because it's not. Most everyone there has had campaign experience before.

GashPrex said:
i am sorry but what exactly did you expect her to do? if she cared at all for her political career she had to say the words she said tonight. I mean a 2nd grader could figure that out, and then people make seem like she did some heroic thing by endorsing Obama.

What did you want her do?

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
minus_273 said:
Playing us like a fiddle...how? What exactly is she tricking us into or leading us to believe that is false?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Tamanon said:

Reading about what Barack's speech is going to be like, I don't think he is going to slouch either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom