• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT9| Too much shade can burn you...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaintZ

Us Magazine posted the cover and a pic of Madonna's and Katy's V Magazine spread

1400535223_katy-perry-madonna-v-magazine-cover-467.jpg

katy-perry-madonna-v-magazine-467.jpg

Nyanko

Neo Member
What's this Iggy Performance y'all are talking about? She seems to have been pretty decent everywhere else so I'm dying to see why this has turned so messy
iPkuDazhu2FCa.gif

Thank you to whoever posted the Cher Lloyd album stream, first couple of track have been really good so far

Yay, a fellow fan! It's great to see her coming out with new music, and the progression on this album is very nice - the bops are still super fun, but songs like "Just Be Mine" show a sweeter side that I didn't know she could tap into. Looking forward to seeing how my impressions change with more listens.

#Justice4Warrior

YASSS. "Thinking Of You" is utterly perf, as is most of the rest of the album. It's taken me too long to come around to it.

SaintZ

Fancy is #2 on the Hot 100 now. Hopefully #1 next week :duca:

In other news:

Spotify publicly shaming Black Keys, Beyoncé for not sharing new albums

Falling somewhere between childish and genius, Spotify has gone on the offensive for the first time, calling out bands that refuse to bring their music to the streaming service. In what seems an attempt to guilt bands into releasing their music, those searching for the new Black Keys, Coldplay or Beyoncé albums will be greeted by a message reading, “The artist or their representatives have decided not to release this album on Spotify. We are working on it and hope they will change their mind soon.”

Granted, anyone who has actually heard the new Black Keys record is well aware that it’s lackluster at best, and people still listening to Coldplay should immediately seek counseling. However, the fact that Spotify is going out of their way to let users know it’s “not their fault” speaks volumes about how large the service has become.

Even a few months ago, such a move would have incurred the wrath of countless artists, but as the usage and user base for such companies continue to skyrocket, their leverage and importance for sales gains similar stature. Though artists and industry executives may not like it, the new reality is that not having new music available on Spotify is akin to withholding an album from certain radio markets a decade ago, as streaming services are perhaps the most vital avenue for listeners to hear new songs in their entirety.

But don’t think that Spotify is simply trying to be a hero for music fans across the globe, as they have massive financial interests in the matter. Without these new albums, the service is missing out on countless plays of each song, which in turn leads to losses in potential ad revenue. This shows the actual bottom line: Spotify is now big enough to throw some weight around to protect their financial wellbeing.

Case in point, according to Spotify play counts, the single “Magic” from Coldplay has been streamed more than 54 million painful times, and while one must worry how so many people can continue to make poor music choices, it doesn’t take a degree in economics to understand how that would carry over to a full album release.

As of yet, neither Coldplay nor The Black Keys have commented on the absence of their album, but whatever their decision is, it will likely set a precedent for future bands attempting to do battle with the rising giant that is Spotify.
I can understand if it is a new release but Beyoncé should upload ha alberm tbh, I don't want to pay for it if I'm going to listen to it once. And kii at this Coldplay dragging.

Yado

I feel like I've seen this same tired old concept/look/photoshoot from Madonna several times now. Katy is almost unrecognisable so there's that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
in what world is katy perry a hew

she's like maybe top 3 most successful popstars in the world along with bey and rih at the moment

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Yay, a fellow fan! It's great to see her coming out with new music, and the progression on this album is very nice - the bops are still super fun, but songs like "Just Be Mine" show a sweeter side that I didn't know she could tap into. Looking forward to seeing how my impressions change with more listens.

YASSS. "Thinking Of You" is utterly perf, as is most of the rest of the album. It's taken me too long to come around to it.

Yeah Cher has grown quite well
I still remember when she debuted with that mess

Also another Kesha stan, you can stay.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mau ®;112866298 said:
Funny how you shamed Coldplay & Rihanna for not releasing the album on Spotify, yet it doesn't seem to bother your that BEYONCÉ has yet to be made available. :eyes:

well the iconic, legendary and unforgettable AOTY/D (decade) BEYONCÉ is an audiovisual masterpiece that can only truly be appreciated when you engage your EYES as well as your EARS

whereas moldplay's latest flop album and rih's album have no good reason to not be on there except for the fact that they want $$$

you can see this from the way that even though BEYONCÉ's sales are somewhat less than perfect she has not yet put the album on spotify. this for me proves that it is a primarily artistic motive that drives her decision

fuck u spotify. fuming over artists when they don't put their albums out on your service, but you don't let canadians use your service. a hypocritical mess.

Vazduh

God bless whoever made the Hola extension for Chrome, because with it I can log in to Spotify (which, of course, doesn't work in my country) without any issues.

Listened to Kelis' Food again and it shits, it really is a good piece of work. Cher Lloyd, Mariah, Frida Sundemo and Damon Albarn are next on my "to do" list. Oh, and I said I'd give Coldplay another listen, I'll definitely do that.

Lemme prepare for the potential slayage.

VAtZVz8.gif

Btw, did I miss something on my list? Is there a newer album I shouldn't miss?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
God bless whoever made the Hola extension for Chrome, because with it I can log in to Spotify (which, of course, doesn't work in my country) without any issues.

Listened to Kelis' Food again and it shits, it really is a good piece of work. Cher Lloyd, Mariah, Frida Sundemo and Damon Albarn are next on my "to do" list. Oh, and I said I'd give Coldplay another listen, I'll definitely do that.

Lemme prepare for the potential slayage.

VAtZVz8.gif

Btw, did I miss something on my list? Is there a newer album I shouldn't miss?

Foxes.
With Love GRAVELORD NITO

3phemeral

Lawd those whistle notes at the end of Dedicated

OMG Meteorite's homosexual, going to Trader Joe's on a Sunday morning realness

icant

Barack-Obama-Crying.gif

My biggest complaint with her more recent output was this sort of whiny artificial quality to her mid-belt and an overly studio-tinkered whistle. It's still evident in some tracks, but for the most part, this is the most natural Mariah's recorded voice has sounded in the longest time.

Camouflage

Barack-Obama-Crying.gif
Heavenly is most guilty of this with the cut-n-paste belts, falsettos, and whistles back to back. it's also the only track that seems to have an obvious pitch-shifted falsetto added in there, which I'm not sure why, because it seems something she would be normally capable of, compared to those super high belts she's added.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
every so often i remember that achilles' last stand by led zeppelin exists and i get my 10:22 of ABSOLUTE LIFE

Vazduh

an improvement from ORA

seeing RITA ORA- ORA always made me scream. it reminded me of jabu jabu's belly, or gullah gullah island.

I can't breathe, HELP

GlMbPZJ.gif

Mau ®;112880512 said:
Old School J.Lo was so good.

Where the bops go?

I know! Waiting For Tonight, If You Had My Love, Feelin' So Good, Play, Ain't It Funny... She had so many hits and now she's shitting on her discography by releasing crap like "I Luh Ya Papi".

Compared to that one, First Love is actually decent, save for some cringe-y lyrics, but it'll probably flop, just like most of her newer singles.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
wait wait WAIT
I am BOPPING to this Mariah Carey album and I don't even like her
Thirsty, You're Mine and You Don't Know are such great tracks
Lettuce hope the album doesn't start to fall apart and stays upbeat

edit; OH MY GOODNESS
Not my version of You Don't Know having Fine China tacked on the end for some bizarre reason

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
wait wait WAIT

edit; OH MY GOODNESS
Not my version of You Don't Know

Delete/remove the spoiler tagged stuff sis.

EDIT: I'm on top of the page...
ibklXKU5xZ8ZyN.gif

iPqCqngQS7dlv.gif

I see you Charli
1380849_768017273209236_213590619_n.jpg

Touchdown

Banned
wait wait WAIT

edit; OH MY GOODNESS
Not my version of You Don't Know having Fine China tacked on the end for some bizarre reason

YAAASS

ikH6E7omlN0L3.gif

3phemeral

wait wait WAIT

What do you think of Meteorite? I'm still getting my life to this. I really feel like YDKWTD isn't the best choice, but Meteorite has that perfect combination of dramatic build, relatable lyrics, and those string of belts that people will try to emulate endlessly at karaoke. Those harmonies and adlibs in the background just round out the song so well.

It's all right
It's okay
Yassssssssssss

Plus, I love how she paints a picture with those flourishes, like the whistle note that soars near the bridge like a meteorite piercing the sky. Then that downward falsetto run as if it's crashing down to Earth. The video could be epic. The last time I remember her doing something like this was during 4th of July, where she sings "floating away" at the second verse.

[EPIC WHISTLE]

iberFtvHrW9ZiL.gif

A SHOOOooOOOoooooOOOTING STAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR-AR-AR-AR-AR

iXAV08iBJOPJU.gif

FLAME IS AFLAME

ibzPWoJmE2ZvyL.gif

AS THEY WATCH YOU BURN UP

iCcHtrQMhWJZ5.gif

TURNED UP

ibdwE1BUmp0QkQ.gif

TURNT UP

ibeRosRxlBUmJn.gif