• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamespawn

PSY・S;41270833 said:
Already did this and...

I've got a wireless-n router and I'm in the room next to it so I'm sure it's streaming at the best quality possible. The picture is great it's just that it never looks as sharp as HD videos from YouTube and the native app.
What are you trying to watch? Not everything has the best resolution. Try an animation ed show like Kick Buttowski. There is a lot of whites and primarys used in the opening. You should be able to tell just by looking at the characters edges to see the stream sharpen up.

Gamespawn

Am I the only one that enjoys Burning Skies?
Its ok. Not at all as everyone says. The multiplayer can be fun IF you can get into a game. Mine always crashes at the end of a match so I have to go to the LiveArea and return to the game to continue. Not worth 30 bucks though.

Where? Craigslist...?

Guy I barely talk to that I ran into mentioned he was going to trade it in for $60-70 and I offered $100 but only had 80 on me and he was like "more than happy". I didn't even want the card since it's pretty useless but he tossed it in too.

Got too lucky. Even if this thing fails

kuroshiki

Guy I barely talk to that I ran into mentioned he was going to trade it in for $60-70 and I offered $100 but only had 80 on me and he was like "more than happy". I didn't even want the card since it's pretty useless but he tossed it in too.

Got too lucky. Even if this thing fails

Wow. Damn that's super hot deal.

Takao

Banned
So when they announce PS3's line-up for the Vita (Ratchet, Sly, All Stars) it's all good, but going the other way around spells doom for the Vita. I don't get it.

Actually, if you know my post history you will find that I find it very sad that the entirety of SCEA's upcoming Vita lineup are games that are also on PS3. No exclusives at all.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
So the Store update is live and the prices for those games that are supposed to have a price drop... haven't dropped. I'm not biting until they do, don't they want people to be encouraged to buy games? Why announce it then not follow through with their own pricing? God, I sound like a broken record :p SCEA are just a fucking disaster when it comes to the Vita. I swear they want it to fail.

Actually, if you know my post history you will find that I find it very sad that the entirety of SCEA's upcoming Vita lineup are games that are also on PS3. No exclusives at all.
And here's the proof :p

I posted this in the PS Store thread, but I thought I'd post it here as well.

I've never played a Harvest Moon game before. Are any of these worth buying? Which would be the best of the three? Are they Vita compatible?

Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl (50% off) – PS Plus Price $7.50
Innocent Life: A Futuristic Harvest Moon (50% off) – PS Plus Price $7.50
Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley (75% off) – PS Plus Price $7.50

Oh wow I didn't know they were discounted.

Innocent Life is a subpar spinoff, not worth playing IMO. Harvest Moon games are RPG games at their core but they also have life sim elements, meaning you'll be dating potential wives and managing your farm, crops and animals. They're very addicting, rewarding and fun if you give them a chance.

Hero of Leaf Valley is an enhanced port of Save the Homeland, which is actually pretty good plus they remedied the main complains people had (no marriage, game ends, now you can get married and you can keep playing).

Boy & Girl is Back to Nature and the girl version, BTN is easily one of my most favorite Harvest Moon games, and one of my favorites of all time. Tons of stuff to do, very very rewarding game. The newer ones tend to lose the magic and sheer amount of stuff that the older ones have, IMO.

Back to Nature is highly recommended, and this is from a long time HM fan. Hero of Leaf Valley is fun, it's newer and has prettier graphics but I think the newer ones lost a bit of the magic the older ones had. Still recommended though.

I'm still holding out hope we get a genuinely new Harvest Moon game on the Vita but since the PSP got no love... who knows ._.

Ran rp

What are you trying to watch? Not everything has the best resolution. Try an animation ed show like Kick Buttowski. There is a lot of whites and primarys used in the opening. You should be able to tell just by looking at the characters edges to see the stream sharpen up.

Both live-action and animation. I guess it's just that the resolution of some videos Netflix is streaming isn't that high to begin with.

kuroshiki

Oh wow I didn't know they were discounted.

Innocent Life is a subpar spinoff, not worth playing IMO. Harvest Moon games are RPG games at their core but they also have life sim elements, meaning you'll be dating potential wives and managing your farm, crops and animals. They're very addicting, rewarding and fun if you give them a chance.

Hero of Leaf Valley is an enhanced port of Save the Homeland, which is actually pretty good plus they remedied the main complains people had (no marriage, game ends, now you can get married and you can keep playing).

Boy & Girl is Back to Nature and the girl version, BTN is easily one of my most favorite Harvest Moon games, and one of my favorites of all time. Tons of stuff to do, very very rewarding game. The newer ones tend to lose the magic and sheer amount of stuff that the older ones have, IMO.

Back to Nature is highly recommended, and this is from a long time HM fan. Hero of Leaf Valley is fun, it's newer and has prettier graphics but I think the newer ones lost a bit of the magic the older ones had. Still recommended though.

I'm still holding out hope we get a genuinely new Harvest Moon game on the Vita but since the PSP got no love... who knows ._.

Are there any hot girls?

If not, nah.

patsu

Perhaps we should wait for TGS to understand Sony Japan's approach. There may be more news than just Minna no Golf 6 going Cross Play. I hope they can keep up with SCEE's stellar performance in Gamescom.

SCEA may be tied up with PS4 stuff. Someone has to work on Cross PS4-Vita stuff you know. 8^P

Takao

Banned
Perhaps we should wait for TGS to understand Sony Japan's approach. There may be more news than just Minna no Golf 6 going Cross Play. I hope they can keep up with SCEE's stellar performance in Gamescom.

SCEA may be tied up with PS4 stuff. Someone has to work on Cross PS4-Vita stuff you know. 8^P

Yes, at TGS SCEJ will announce the really ugly new PS3 model, a Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush ports, and Japanese Wonderbook games. Vita? What's that.

spannicus

PSY・S;41273221 said:
Why couldn't Sony release the 1.8 update today. I go back to school next Wednesday.

Seems like Sony likes to pussyfoot around when it comes to releasing anything on the Vita. Tired of coming second to the PS3. Speed this shit up Sony.

PSY・S;41273221 said:
Why couldn't Sony release the 1.8 update today. I go back to school next Wednesday.

Yeah that really irritated me too. The day they release the PS1 update I have my first day of classes. I was pretty excited when I heard they would be delivering 1.8 during the summer so I could play some games. Pity they meant the very end of it.

Takao

Banned
Don't worry, just wait till E3 2013 if nothing happens at TGS! </sarcasm>

E3 2013 for Vita will entirely consist of a single sizzle reel and Jack Tretton fumbling around a new Vita model before dropping it on the floor. The rest will be to demoing the latest movies from Naughty Dog, and Quantic Dream and PS4 stuff.

Skyzard

Banned
E3 2013 for Vita will entirely consist of a single sizzle reel and Jack Tretton fumbling around a new Vita model before dropping it on the floor. The rest will be to demoing the latest movies from Naughty Dog, and Quantic Dream and PS4 stuff.

Got a good laugh out of this, hope you aren't too worried irl though :0) ads and price drop. It will do it.

Quick

Banned
So, I love the touchscreen/pad implementation on Uncharted for the most part (really hate the on screen arrows popping up during combat or boosting up Chase). However, I'm mixed with its implementation in MLB 12: The Show, in terms of Road to the Show and the menus.

Uncharted made it easy by simply touching the screen to start, MLB 12 wants me to swipe the top right corner of the screen, almost to the edge of it. And that's pretty much how it goes for advancing or going back through certain menus. Sometimes, it lets you press X (to save your options, for example) or O (to go back without saving), but it's pretty much there. In RTTS, I'm a pitcher, so the only real use I would have with the touchscreen is picking pitches, but I can do that with the buttons on the right. I can pick location with the left analog stick, and touching the screen isn't ideal for picking a specific spot to throw at.

Are there any hot girls?

If not, nah.

Most of the girls in the HM games are pretty tame, the Rune Factory games have the more wild and fantasy character designs, the thing with the HM and RF games is that the marriage candidates typically are designed in that teenager type body where it's almost impossible to tell how old they are without consulting the wiki, which is kind of weird when you think about it... but they have always been E rated. Here's a shot of Popuri with the main character from BTN:

How+to+play+Harvest+Moon+PC.jpg

In comparison, here is Alice from Hero of Leaf Valley:

20081213famitsusvscreenax5.jpg

And a final comparison to show you the leap from HM to RF, here's Lily from Rune Factory Tides of Destiny:

They also have some pretty cute swimsuits in that game, overall I think Tides of Destiny definitely has some great designs but they kind of abandoned the core farming and livestock management by letting you tame monsters to do everything for you.

The new RF game (4) has boss monsters that turn into potential brides after you defeat them - try wrapping your head around that mechanic!

Oh and a major difference between the RF games and the HM games - the RF games also have action RPG elements, meaning you can upgrade weapons and go dungeon crawling. In HM, it's all farm, livestock and social sim.

Takao

Banned
Got a good laugh out of this, hope you aren't too worried irl though :0) ads and price drop. It will do it.

Deep down in your heart you know the scenario I posted is true.

Sony's going to announce dark cloud 3 Vita at TGS right? Right??

All of Level-5's Vita games so far have been ports, so it's suffice to say any TGS announcement will probably be a port.

White Knight Chronicles everybody.

Derrick01

Banned
All of Level-5's Vita games so far have been ports, so it's suffice to say any TGS announcement will probably be a port.

White Knight Chronicles everybody.

It doesn't have to be from level 5 since it's owned by Sony. They could get some B tier dev to make it and I'm sure they could do as decent a job as modern day Level 5 could. I just don't think SCEJ wants to, or is too incompetent to do it. Probably the latter knowing them this gen.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Level-5 is not a good studio,Dark Cloud 2 was an anomaly, a one time miracle goal that they can't do again,I'd rather see Sony hire someone actually good like Imageepoch or Shift for Dark Cloud 3 if they ever want a sequel to that series..

Takao

Banned
Level-5 is not a good studio,Dark Cloud 2 was an anomaly, a one time miracle goal that they can't do again,I'd rather see Sony hire someone actually good like Imageepoch or Shift for Dark Cloud 3 if they ever want a sequel to that series..

I would like to see you claim why Imageepoch is better than Level-5.

Skyzard

Banned
Deep down in your heart you know the scenario I posted is true.

Nope [warning huge read]. I'm expecting good things next year, at least by 2014 for sure. And their presentations are getting better..

;)

Although there is a black box of worry thanks to gaf, somewhere. But it is pretty buried. And will be for a few years at least, if it ever does get opened...

Young Magus

PSY&#12539;S;41273221 said:
Feel the same way, I start classes next week myself but thankfully my Tuesdays are easy-going so as soon as 1.8 is online I'll be downloadin it.

I just really, really hope that Xenogears and Grandia are compatible

What do you need to do ?

I thought Black Market is auto-pilot. It only asked me to confirm the trades.

nobody on my friends list seems to be trading, so i'm not getting any trades from there. farming them is tedious as hell. looking for the fastest way to complete the sets.

Ran rp

You know what I just noticed that's missing from the Vita? A cool startup. When you turn it on there isn't a jingle, an animation, or even a quick flash of the device's name. It's just the PS logo, a warning screen, and boom, lockscreen.

Sony birthed the Vita without a soul.

PSY&#12539;S;41278772 said:
You know what I just noticed that's missing from the Vita? A cool startup. When you turn it on there isn't a jingle, an animation, or even a quick flash of the device's name. It's just the PS logo, a warning screen, and boom, lockscreen.

Sony birthed the Vita without a soul.

I'm actually glad they don't. I turn off the start up screen on my psp

Gamespawn

Hey guys, whatever happened to Jet Set and RCR and Wake up club and all those apps shown at E3? Don't those companies lose money everyday their completed games sit and wait? Why not release now on PS3/Vita and later on XB360?

I would really like Sony to return to their catalog of games from PS1 era. Games like Colony Wars and G-Police and Parappa. They could change them up a bit like have Parappa be a platformer/RPG or make Colony Wars a downloadable release in the image of X-wing vs Tie-Fighter. They could price them in the 20 dollar range and make a killing.

Young Magus

Hey guys, whatever happened to Jet Set and RCR and Wake up club and all those apps shown at E3? Don't those companies lose money everyday their completed games sit and wait? Why not release now on PS3/Vita and later on XB360?

I would really like Sony to return to their catalog of games from PS1 era. Games like Colony Wars and G-Police and Parappa. They could change them up a bit like have Parappa be a platformer/RPG or make Colony Wars a downloadable release in the image of X-wing vs Tie-Fighter. They could price them in the 20 dollar range and make a killing.
JSR is coming on the Vita in Mid-October

Skyzard

Banned
^ not too long :'(

rcr, wakeup club and the g-police remake would be appreciated here too. Is wakeup club due in 1.8 by any chance..?

I'm actually glad they don't. I turn off the start up screen on my psp

I did too...but he does have a point. Something spiffy and cool as usual please Sony...especially as I hardly restart anyway these days. It's quite cool looking now but a bit more life wouldn't hurt..reckon they'll change it at this stage?...perhaps just for the *GUI loadup like with ps3.

Skyzard

Banned
I actually try to remember to restart it fully more regularly, seems to run a tad faster with some games, especially after quite a few sessions ending with a standby. Does seem to drain the battery a bit though. Usually good for a week or so for me.

(no clue but sounds a bit like) Memory leaks? A memory refresh app would be nice..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom