• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkwing

Has anyone else been getting messages stating $50 on PSN if you send this message to all your friends and they send it back, or some BS?

I'm not doing it regardless but I'm quite skeptical.

Also, a random on my friends list that should have been deleted ages ago asked me to give him my Netflix information because he wanted to watch a movie or something...

Is that just fucked or what?

it's the PSN version of a chain mail

Just got a Used but Mint PS Vita from Ebay. Picked up Uncharted, Hot Shots Golf, and Pinball Arcade. Also got a 16Gb Card from Amazon. Hopefully that will be enough to store some PS1 and PSP games i have already purchased in the past. Im excited!

patsu

From Best Buy's Vita bundle listing:

7845858166_6ca5262faf_z.jpg

+1 !

Just what the gaming industry needs ! Also need to slay a giant dragon somewhere. Plus a trophy waifu sim.

Massa

Has anyone else been getting messages stating $50 on PSN if you send this message to all your friends and they send it back, or some BS?

I'm not doing it regardless but I'm quite skeptical.

Also, a random on my friends list that should have been deleted ages ago asked me to give him my Netflix information because he wanted to watch a movie or something...

Is that just fucked or what?

Speaking of this the "Report this message" functionality is much improved on PSN, at least on the PS3 (I don't ever use it on the Vita).

Even with this it's hard.

What people don't realize, I'm guessing, is that the edges rotate "softness" during the bigger puzzles, at least.

That is, you can see either the top/bottom, left/right sides will look different. Whichever side looks different, you can slide the tiles through the edge to come out on the other side. I was having a hell of a time doing the trophies for that until I realized that the edges were soft. At that point, it was just taking advantage of it when it was in the right place or waiting a second or two for it to switch so I could make the necessary move.

Kazzy

Even with this it's hard.

You're not wrong. I was so glad, when I finally put that last trophy to rest.

It was all about the start for me, sometimes the random nature of it dictated that you spent too much time fumbling for your first row. My tactic was to line up each of the top row in order, before sliding them up. I had no discernible strategy after that, because relying on the edges just screwed me over too much.

I love slide tile puzzles. I remember my brother having trouble in Zelda for gamecube, getting pissed, and me being like

swish, swish, swish...

done.

I enjoy them in theory, but the time limits were pretty aggravating

The worst is that you have to do the digit chase all at once. They should be 3 separate events and have a cumulative time that lowers when you better your best score, not having to do an entire run to try to get the trophy.

darkwing

hmm in Gravity Daze, the gravity slide thingy where you touch both sides of the screen to slide, it seems my tilt sensitivity is too low, I have to literally tilt the Vita 90 degrees sideways for Kat to slide to left for example, is this by design? aiming for a gravity kick seems to be more sensitive

If anyone is looking for a cheap copy of WipEout 2048, GF has them for 17.99 (used); GF games should come with the online pass and in mint condition. They have some other games for Vita, finally -- including Lumines for $25. I'm tempted, but that still seems high for me. $20 or less, I think.

Takao

Banned
If anyone is looking for a cheap copy of WipEout 2048, GF has them for 17.99 (used); GF games should come with the online pass and in mint condition. They have some other games for Vita, finally -- including Lumines for $25. I'm tempted, but that still seems high for me. $20 or less, I think.

Why buy a used copy? New copies at $19.99 in stores, and that'll at least tell Sony people want more WipEout.

zroid

Banned
They have some other games for Vita, finally -- including Lumines for $25. I'm tempted, but that still seems high for me. $20 or less, I think.

Surprised Lumines still hasn't yet hit the 20 mark in the States. It's been hovering around 19.99 in Canada for a while now. Not consistently, but the sales are frequent. Currently $19.99 @ amazon.ca, in fact.

branny

Is Birth by Sleep a good game on it's own or does it purely appeal to people who are into the KH franchise?
How is the battle system compared to original KH?
Back when KH came out, the camera controls and lock on implementation in that game was such an annoyance to me that I finished it as fast as possible and traded it in so I'd get max credit for it. The camera/lock on problems irritated me so much that I wrote off the series and skipped KH2. All these portable games seemed so confusing and such and since I wasn't interested in the story, I wrote them off too.

I suppose if you say the battle system is absolutely amazing (and there are no camera/lock on problems), then if they ever put it up on PSN, I'll have to try it out.
I'm late responding to this, but I feel very strongly about this game. It's really, really good. It's basically the only KH game I completely adore--the rest all have annoyances that bother me in some way or another (usually minigames or stupid story or horrible mechanics or game structure). And on Critical Mode, BbS is one of the best action RPGs out there. I don't want to write a lot, so I'll try to keep this as short but informative as possible.

lunch's negative impressions are spot-on: the game immediately opens with some cringe-worthy melodrama about friendship, but it actually ends up having one of the better stories to come out of the franchise. Because it's a prequel that basically feels like KH0, a lot of it is self-contained. If you played Odin Sphere or something similar, the crisscrossing stories are kind of like that. I was surprised to find myself actually enjoying how the game touched upon some uncharacteristically dark themes. The worlds you visit are also symbolically related to what each character is going through.

But you really don't play it for story. BbS's battle mechanics are the best KH has ever had, and all the auxiliary progression systems are addictive and thoughtful. In my eyes, the PSP had Birth by Sleep, and the DS had Order of Ecclesia. Both games have some outstanding boss fights. Regular encounters also generally require more strategy in BbS on Critical than other KH games, especially near the beginning. I don't know how everything holds up on the easier difficulties, but BbS is very easy to recommend if you enjoy a strong, cohesively-designed battle system that caters to your personal playstyle preferences.

Comparing BbS's battle system to KH1's is really difficult because they're totally different. For one, you don't have Goofy and Donald with you; you're usually fighting alone. You have an arsenal of abilities that you can equip (Command Deck), and everything works on recharge times instead of MP. Using certain commands will put you into a limit break mode of sorts (Command Style) that can eventually take you into another limit after that, provided you fill the meter for it by continuously attacking. You also have new things called shotlocks which are first-person lock-on attacks that render you invincible for a brief period of time. There are also D-Links that replace summons, briefly changing your Command Deck to one inspired by another character while also fully healing you. It's really bizarre to explain, but just trust that the battle system is very good. On Critical, you will be taking advantage of everything at your disposal and abusing stuff like frame traps and animation invulnerability. The camera is also less annoying than it usually is in KH games (I found KH1's camera to be one of the worst, actually), and dealing with lock-on and camera rotation will eventually come naturally after you get used to them. It's not perfect, no, but you won't have OG Xbox Ninja Gaiden camera flashbacks or anything. At least, I didn't.

It was probably a good thing that you wrote off the portable games, too. I'd consider KH1, KH2, CoM/re:CoM, and Dream Drop Distance to be more worth your time than 358/2 Days and Re:coded, but BbS easily bests them all in my humble opinion. It's a shame that isn't (and won't likely ever be) on PSN because people are sorely missing out on one of the PSP's best titles.

Why buy a used copy? New copies at $19.99 in stores, and that'll at least tell Sony people want more WipEout.

Whynot? I doubt a few retail versus used sales are going to make Sony reopen Liverpool studio. If someone was inclined to save a few bucks, they could -- if I didn't have Amazon Prime and didn't already own the game, I'd probably buy there, especially if I had GF bucks or whatever to knock the price down even further.

Vitacat

Whynot? I doubt a few retail versus used sales are going to make Sony reopen Liverpool studio. If someone was inclined to save a few bucks, they could -- if I didn't have Amazon Prime and didn't already own the game, I'd probably buy there, especially if I had GF bucks or whatever to knock the price down even further.

I disagree. I think all Vita owners ought to try to buy games new as often as possible. Saving 2 or 3 dollars isn't going to break the bank, and taking all Vita owners en masses it delivers the message that they are willing to purchase new retail games.

Having said that, I will inevitably buy some used games (from other gamers, not stores). But only if it means getting really significant discount over the new price. For 2 - 3 bucks, nah. I'll just get it new and support the Vita and the devs etc.

GrizzNKev

Banned
What is this exactly? I'm still a vita newb. Thanks.

It allows you to stream video from your desktop to your Vita, using your Vita as a controller. It's still in the early stages of development and barely works, but the current version adds a whole lot of new options.

LuchaShaq

Banned
I disagree. I think all Vita owners ought to try to buy games new as often as possible.

Unless Sony adjusts download and memory card prices dramatically I will only be renting and buying my vita games used.

...except for Persona 4 golden because I'm a no patience fanboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom