• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glix

It's awesome that my Vita/PSP/PS3 can all communicate without wires to help with the archaic way I need to transfer this stuff around...

Wait...

Sylver

Banned
Besides having to download them on the PS3, how was it a pain? You could even select all the games and transfer at once.

This update fixed a previous issue I had. I can now use the browser after coming out of standby mode(i always click the power button to force standby). Before this update, I had to reboot the system even though the wifi connection was on.
You can try to transfer nine games at once (I did it) then it's better you have something to do maybe when you come back it's copying the seventh game.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm actually a little taken back that SCEA is only putting out 9 games today for you US guys, I thought it was just a partial list to be revealed, but from the PlayStation Blog, nope, you get 9 games.

That really sucks.

I HATE this.

Why must Vita owners without a PS3....well, it'd be nice to play some other games from PS1, other than the 8 chosen for me to play. Sucks.

So pissed at Sony right now. I was ready and prepared for Resident Evil 2, at the very least. What happened to that?!?

its bullshit and been pissing me off since psp support (i really wanted Peacewalker).

I was just looking about on the Vita boards and couldn't help but lol when people complained about this and the PS3 owners basically just lol and say well you should own a ps3, I do and this doesnt affect me.

9 PS1 games available for direct to Vita downloads will bring in the sales the Vita needs though

Averon

I'm actually a little taken back that SCEA is only putting out 9 games today for you US guys, I thought it was just a partial list to be revealed, but from the PlayStation Blog, nope, you get 9 games.

That really sucks.

SCEA don't care about the Vita. From refusing to develop any games for it to ignoring it at E3 and now this. This indifference is helping to undermine the entire platform. Kaz and House needs to get Tretton on the phone asap to fix this or sack him.

MrMephistoX

That really sucks.

It would suck even more if there wasn't a PS3 workaround. I guess I'm not upset because it's easy enough to do but I'll admit SCEA really fed up for the average consumer...who probably doesn't own a Vita anyway lol.

My Vita and PS3 both have the latest firmware updates but the Vita Content Manager "sees" nothing when you looking for an application under any of the categories. I have 5 PSOne games on my PS3: FFVII, FFVIII, Parasite Eve, Rdige Racer 4 and Alundra. I would like to, at the very least, transfer over Parasite Eve and FFVII.

patsu

It would suck even more if there wasn't a PS3 workaround. I guess I'm not upset because it's easy enough to do but I'll admit SCEA really fed up for the average consumer...who probably doesn't own a Vita anyway lol.

It's about their culture and reputation. Whether they want short term $$$ or build long term trust with core gamers (and amongst their peers). If they keep saying one thing, and act the other way, they may not be able to gain traction for any future endeavors.

I think their so-called gaming pillar is built on top of core gamers' faith and good will.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
My Vita and PS3 both have the latest firmware updates but the Vita Content Manager "sees" nothing when you looking for an application under any of the categories. I have 5 PSOne games on my PS3: FFVII, FFVIII, Parasite Eve, Rdige Racer 4 and Alundra. I would like to, at the very least, transfer over Parasite Eve and FFVII.
Did you restart your Vita after you updated your firmware? I had the same problem, but manually restarting my Vita fixed it.

Sylver

Banned
Are them installed? If so don't do it, they need to be on bubble form.

CLEEK

You need the install bubble. You can't transfer over installed games.

Just re-downlaod the games from PSN on your PS3, then transfer them over using Content Manager.

brentech

SCEA don't care about the Vita. From refusing to develop any games for it to ignoring it at E3 and now this. This indifference is helping to undermine the entire platform. Kaz and House needs to get Tretton on the phone asap to fix this or sack him.

I'd like someone to get an interview with Tretton and ask him if he hates the platform, lol. It's a worthwhile question since they've bubbled with every step lately.

Yup, just figured this out myself today. Go into the PSP saves app/other location on your PS3 (where they are now) and copy the save files to the PS1 memory card app. If you have not already created a PS1 memory card on your PS3, you'll find it under "Memory Card Utility" (on my PS3 it is under Game Data Utility and above Saved Data Utility - PS2). The icon looks like a PS1 memory card. Click on that to get the option to create a new internal memory card. Then just go back to the save files under the PSP saves app and press the triangle button to copy the saves over the the PS1 internal memory card.

Connect your Vita to the PS3 and launch the Content Manager. Assuming you've installed 1.80, go to Applications -->Saved Data---> Playstation, then click on the memory card and your saves should come up and you can copy them. You have to copy the saves one game at a time, and click the appropriate game title on the next screen, or the saves won't be there when you load up your respective games. (Like, if you are copying your VII files, you click the files, click Copy, then click on the icon labeled VII on the next screen. You'll see what I mean. If you copy the VII files to the IX icon, your save data won't appear when you load VII).

Appreciated, thank you Kazerei as well. Now to try this after copying all the titles again.

metalshade

Have noticed one problem.
You guys use the workaround for copying youtube vids to the mem card?
Yeah, that doesnt work anymore, I just tried to download the hour of borderlands 2 vid, and then tried a few others, none of them work, they just throw up an error screen.
Has this already been noticed?
Very big issue for me personally, I used that a lot.
Also, come on and update the store for us non PS3ers to go our PSX on!

patsu

Yeah, that doesnt work anymore, I just tried to download the hour of borderlands 2 vid, and then tried a few others, none of them work, they just throw up an error screen.

Indeed. You now encounter a C0-4753-9 error when trying to download the Youtube videos.

I would wait for a few weeks to see if someone comes up with a workaround. I *suspect* it's not something that can be blocked by Sony or Google cleanly.

Andrefpvs

Awesome! The YouTube app is not available in my country, so now I'm locked out! Thanks, Sony :D

brentech

PSone shows up for me in the US store

7884037648_d725dcc958_z.jpg

I'm so torn on keeping a few of my DD games on my Vita, I still only have a 8gb card, holding out on a sale to get a 32gb one... I really want to put FF VII and LoD on my Vita though. I think I might settle for Alundra for now and play through that :)

gkryhewy

If the saves are not in the new format, you'll need to convert them. I think the new format is called "PSV".

I found a save online in the .psv format, but I can't seem to get it recognized by the vita in content manager. The PS1 saves from the vita (when copied to the PC) have a format of .VMP, and the file size is about 200-400k vs the 9k in the .PSV I downloaded. When I drop the .PSV into the same folder and attempt to copy it to the vita, the vita thinks it's corrupt. Any suggestions?

EDIT: does anyone have a FFVII PSP path equivalent for the P3P save path here (ULUS...)?

see5harp

I think if 50% of the already super niche hardcore audience that owns a Vita and a PS3 needs to be told that files need to be in "bubble form" to transfer, there might be a problem with the way your system works.

Takao

Banned
This. That store front is great

I found it funny that during the video demo of the new firmware Sony called out iTunes instead of using the play list functionality of MediaGo - a product they make ... I guess they didn't want to advertise MediaGo with Vita stuff since that would raise the question as to why Vita games can't be downloaded and transfered from it.

Alright, I think I like my Vita now. Although the only actual vita game I have on it is that motor storm rc thing. But having most of my favorite psp and ps1 games all in one place is great. A few weeks ago I was about to sell it on amazon.

I really like the screen, but could someone tell me in a sentence or two why the oled is so good? I feel dumb owning one and not knowing what oled tech even is.

just posted this on the blog haha

well put. as were several other comments up there. the comparison to scee & scej is pretty friggin' damning, & their desperately upbeat 'responses' were definitely of the 'tail between legs' variety. gotta find your fun where you can, i guess :) ...

patsu

I found a save online in the .psv format, but I can't seem to get it recognized by the vita in content manager. The PS1 saves from the vita (when copied to the PC) have a format of .VMP, and the file size is about 200-400k vs the 9k in the .PSV I downloaded. When I drop the .PSV into the same folder and attempt to copy it to the vita, the vita thinks it's corrupt. Any suggestions?

EDIT: does anyone have a FFVII PSP path equivalent for the P3P save path here (ULUS...)?

*shrug* I didn't try it.

What if you start a PS1 game on the Vita, back it up to a PC. Then overwrite only the save file in the folder and sync it back ?

patsu

Alright, I think I like my Vita now. Although the only actual vita game I have on it is that motor storm rc thing. But having most of my favorite psp and ps1 games all in one place is great. A few weeks ago I was about to sell it on amazon.

I really like the screen, but could someone tell me in a sentence or two why the oled is so good? I feel dumb owning one and not knowing what oled tech even is.

OLED has very fast response time. The old PSP screen has a lot of ghosting when stuff move on the screen.

EDIT:
I found it funny that during the video demo of the new firmware Sony called out iTunes instead of using the play list functionality of MediaGo - a product they make ... I guess they didn't want to advertise MediaGo with Vita stuff since that would raise the question as to why Vita games can't be downloaded and transfered from it.

Probably because a lot of people use iTunes. Sounds like MediaGo may be in maintenance mode now.

CLEEK

It has better contrast ratio, deeper blacks, faster response times and uses less power than LCD or plasma (not that you get plasma displays on portable devices).

OLED works by having millions of organic LEDs in a grid. Each one is individually turned one/off to generate light. There is no back light (the source of poor blacks on LCDs) and the speed they turn on/off is very fast, so you get great refresh rates and no ghosting or motion blur.

gkryhewy

*shrug* I didn't try it.

What if you start a PS1 game on the Vita, back it up to a PC. Then overwrite only the save file in the folder and sync it back ?

Tried that. The issue(apprently-- from what I'm seeing online) is that the save files on the vita (and on a PSP) are in .VMP format, and on PS3 they're .PSV. If you're copying from a PS3 to a PSP or Vita, it will automatically convert the PSV to VMP, but having no PS3, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this conversion.

patsu

I think you can get some folks to convert your old saves to PSV format. They will share your saves though.

You can also google for PSV game saves. I did it before and there were some info on the conversion process, tools or websites.

CLEEK

Tried that. The issue(apprently-- from what I'm seeing online) is that the save files on the vita (and on a PSP) are in .VMP format, and on PS3 they're .PSV. If you're copying from a PS3 to a PSP or Vita, it will automatically convert the PSV to VMP, but having no PS3, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to do this conversion.

I'd probably just keep searching online. There bound to be a tool that will convert the files for you.

It has better contrast ratio, deeper blacks, faster response times and uses less power than LCD or plasma (not that you get plasma displays on portable devices).

OLED works by having millions of organic LEDs in a grid. Each one is individually turned one/off to generate light. There is no back light (the source of poor blacks on LCDs) and the speed they turn on/off is very fast, so you get great refresh rates and no ghosting or motion blur.

I didn't know all that, thanks. Makes sense as I could tell the vita screen was deliciously good just from looking. Makes me proud to play my ps1 faves on this!

branny

Maybe something messed up.

Back when UMvC3 came out to Vita, Capcpom said that Jill and Shuma would be downloadable if you had them already. But Grace Chen must have pushed the wrong button, and it ended up being weeks until things were sorted out.

patsu

I can't try memcardrex right now since I don't have a PC at home, but it looks like it doesn't convert to VMP unless I'm missing something.

I saw instructions recommending memcardrex for converting PSOne saves to PSV format.
Latest version seems to be v1.6 (July 2012).

You can grab a Parallels VM trial and give it a try (assuming you're running a Mac).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom