• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkryhewy

I saw instructions recommending memcardrex for converting PSOne saves to PSV format.
Latest version seems to be v1.6 (July 2012).

You can grab a Parallels VM trial and give it a try (assuming you're running a Mac).

But I already have an acceptable save (close enough to where I left my game) in PSV format. The issue is that I can't get it converted to VMP format for use in the vita.

Thanks for trying to help though.

patsu

But I already have an acceptable save (close enough to where I left my game) in PSV format. The issue is that I can't get it converted to VMP format for use in the vita.

Thanks for trying to help though.

I misread your post. >_<

Looks like PS3 is the only way to convert PSV to VMP. Find a Gaffer or someone on your friends list to do the conversion for you.

gkryhewy

I misread your post. >_<

Looks like PS3 is the only way to convert PSV to VMP. Find a Gaffer or someone on your friends list to do the conversion for you.

Well, if anyone is willing to give it a try, PM me. This is the file I'm trying to convert. You'll make a new PSN friend if you help!

branny

Considering Metal Slug or Metal Slug 2 for PSP.
Any suggestions?

Metal Slug 1 is great. Metal Slug 2 has slowdown problems--Metal Slug X is a revamped/improved version of 2 that I vastly prefer.

Metal Slug Anthology for PSP on PSN ($19.99) has Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3, 4, 5, and 6, and is probably the best version of that collection. Other incarnations of it have issues; even the UMD version of the PSP one is inferior to the digital PSP version for load stuttering reasons.

I saw instructions recommending memcardrex for converting PSOne saves to PSV format.
Latest version seems to be v1.6 (July 2012).

You can grab a Parallels VM trial and give it a try (assuming you're running a Mac).

I do have a saved file that I want converted from the psone format to a PSV format, so I looked into the method you were talking about, but it seems memcardrex just isolates the saved file from the virtual memory card, I would still need to put it on a usb stick and connect it to a ps3 to convert it (which I don't have).

but like the guy before me I found a save online pretty close to where I was at in FF7 already in PSV format already so I don't really need memcardrex, but I appreciate your effort though. If anyone wants to help me convert either the ps1 file I was talking about or the psv file I have in mind to a VMP file,pm me and let me know, I'd appreciate it.

here's the ps1 file I isolated from the virtual memory card I was using with my emulator

and here's the file I got from gamefaqs thats already a psv file

I've decided - I'm going for the double plat in Sound Shapes, then I'll delete it off my Vita and get Alundra and Wild Arms... or Arc the Lad. Still not sure. I definitely want to play through Alundra though!

Metal Slug 1 is great. Metal Slug 2 has slowdown problems--Metal Slug X is a revamped/improved version of 2 that I vastly prefer.

Metal Slug Anthology for PSP on PSN ($19.99) has Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3, 4, 5, and 6, and is probably the best version of that collection. Other incarnations of it have issues; even the UMD version of the PSP one is inferior to the digital PSP version for load stuttering reasons.

But Anthology isnt on sale =p
And yeah this was for my Vita so it was going to be digital.

patsu

I take it you need one of those devices with a ps1/2 memory card slot and a micro usb on? if you do i have one somewhere

I skimmed through some instructions to import/copy a PSV save to a PS3, which will then convert the save to VMP format (automatically) to transfer to a Vita.

The same person has to copy the saves back out to a PC, and upload the result somewhere.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

PSN Anthology fixes the load stuttering on PSP-1000s? Because I know the UMD works on 2000's just fine. But if the digital release works, I'll half-stop my SNK hate parade and get it.

branny

I tried converting stuff, too. It's a mess. You have to take the file, put it onto flash storage, copy that file to the PS3, and then use a PSP to convert it to VMP format. You can't directly copy the VMP'd file to your flash storage, and you can only put it onto a virtual memory card on the PS3 (this reverts it back to the PSV format). I'm trying to look for where the file ended up on my Memory Stick (I had to use a virtual memory card for another PSone game), and I can't find it.

I also have no clue what I'm doing, so maybe someone else can help gkryhewy or computers putin' if there's actually a way to do this.

PSN Anthology fixes the load stuttering on PSP-1000s? Because I know the UMD works on 2000's just fine. But if the digital release works, I'll half-stop my SNK hate parade and get it.
Yes, the digital version is supposed to be much better than the UMD regarding the load times. There is still minor load stuttering in one or two games when choosing your character, but after that it's mostly smooth sailing (assuming you aren't playing MS2 which has always had slowdown issues).

I tried converting stuff, too. It's a mess. You have to take the file, put it onto flash storage, copy that file to the PS3, and then use a PSP to convert it to VMP format. You can't directly copy the VMP'd file to your flash storage, and you can only put it onto a virtual memory card on the PS3 (this reverts it back to the PSV format). I'm trying to look for where the file ended up on my Memory Stick (I had to use a virtual memory card for another PSone game), and I can't find it.

I also have no clue what I'm doing, so maybe someone else can help gkryhewy or computers putin' if there's actually a way to do this.

Yeah, I just starting working on that file for him and this is crazy! lol! I'm almost done.

patsu

I think you put the PSV file in PS3\EXPORTS\PSV of the USB drive. Then copy it (via XMB "Memory Card Utility") to PS3's virtual memory card.

At that moment, can you use CMA to copy the virtual memory card save to a Vita ?

Yeah, I just starting working on that file for him and this is crazy! lol! I'm almost done.

lol. Would be great if you can document the steps. Sounds like a major operation. ^_^

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
But Anthology isnt on sale =p
And yeah this was for my Vita so it was going to be digital.

One thing nice to keep in mind: The collections are pretty worth it, even without being on sale.

The SNK Arcade Classics has 16 games. At 20 bucks, that's $1.25 per game.

Samsho Anthology: 6 games, $3.33 each.

Metal Slug Anthology: 7 games, $2.85 each.

I'd have liked to have seen them on sale too (Especially since I don't own a version of Samsho 6 at all) But this current sale, plus the poor selection of PS1 titles directly downloadable to Vita w/o a PS3, makes those collections look like great values...

yeah, the process is a convoluted mess. I uploaded the files I want converted just in case some one can bear going through the process though lol.

One thing nice to keep in mind: The collections are pretty worth it, even without being on sale.

The SNK Arcade Classics has 16 games. At 20 bucks, that's $1.25 per game.

Samsho Anthology: 6 games, $3.33 each.

Metal Slug Anthology: 7 games, $2.85 each.

I'd have liked to have seen them on sale too (Especially since I don't own a version of Samsho 6 at all) But this current sale, plus the poor selection of PS1 titles directly downloadable to Vita w/o a PS3, makes those collections look like great values...

So what you're telling me is to wait on sale for anthology. gotcha.
Welp. Back to deciding between Legend of Dragoon and FF7 since I've never played either.

So with firmware 1.8, the vita's os and social functions make it the best of any console or handheld. Anyone else agree? Hope the ps4 matches and exceeds vita in this regard, which I'm sure it will

patsu

So with firmware 1.8, the vita's os and social functions make it the best of any console or handheld. Anyone else agree? Hope the ps4 matches and exceeds vita in this regard, which I'm sure it will

They can still do a lot more in Vita OS. The apps are mere standalone software now. Should be better integrated. e.g., web browser launching youtube, group chat sharing web page, etc.

Skyzard

Banned
I almost don't want EU to have a sale on ps1 classics tomorrow...can't imagine that will help the SCEA situation (which having read their blog replies seems to be about certifying the games....should have gotten on that a while back though no? Why is it much harder in the states)

Anyway, almost.

HTFU TOMORROW!

Skyzard

Banned
It was so nice to have the firmware upgraded on vita...usually I don't really care, but this just seems like a totally quality product now and hope it keeps getting better and better:

*memory card swapping speedup

*folders / ...10page limit

*linking to youtube

*activity log

If it had that, I mean...what more would you want. I'm sure it will have most if not all of them but sucks we probably won't see them for a while since 1.8 just came out. But still, getting better. The upcoming games will help with the firmware wait too.

branny

I think you put the PSV file in PS3\EXPORTS\PSV of the USB drive. Then copy it (via XMB "Memory Card Utility") to PS3's virtual memory card.

At that moment, can you use CMA to copy the virtual memory card save to a Vita ?
Yes, you can use the CMA to copy it to Vita, but it does the same thing as transferring it to a PSP (it asks you to put it inside an already existing virtual memory card). I don't have FFVII--this may be an issue.

The conversion process looks like it packs the PSV into the VMP, so the save file now seems trapped inside my second Castlevania SotN virtual memory card. I have no clue if you can extract the save from that virtual card while you're on a Vita.

My head hurts.

edit: I can upload the VMP I ended up with, and you can chance using the Content Manager to overwrite one of your existing VMPs for FFVII. Brave souls, here you go. If you don't trust that website, please recommend another uploading site that doesn't require an account. =\

edit 2: I tested my overwriting theory, and it works! Use the Content Manager and overwrite the VMP in your FFVII folder with that file. Yay!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So what you're telling me is to wait on sale for anthology. gotcha.
Welp. Back to deciding between Legend of Dragoon and FF7 since I've never played either.

The question is, would such a sale ever come... nothing I've seen in my short time of having a Vita gives me hope for such, lol.

Can't find many opinions for Sam Sho anthology on Vita either... some PSP owners said it was laggy, but that was as a UMD...

Might as well tell us how to do it so more PS3 owners can do it themselves.

my understanding of all of this is basically the same as branny's and he already broke down the process about as eloquently as I could do. I'm hoping CecilMcW00t comes back soon and is generous enough to break down how to import and export the files for everyone else.

KalBalboa

Banned

I agree. I always thought that all it needed was push notifications & a more seamless friends list. They nailed those... now they just need more people to buy the damned thing.

lol. Would be great if you can document the steps. Sounds like a major operation. ^_^

Sure!

1. Create this path in the root directory of the external storage device that you will be connecting to the PS3: PS3 -> EXPORT -> PSV.

2. Place the PSV file in this directory.

3. Connect the device to the PS3 and go to Memory Card Utility under GAME. Scroll to the top and you should see your device.

4. Connect your PSP to the PS3 and make sure the USB connection is active on the PSP.

5. Navigate to your external storage device and you should see your PSV files which show up as proper PS1 memory card saves. Copy them to a virtual memory card on the PS3. You will have to create one if you haven't already.

6. Navigate to the virtual memory card you copied the save to. Highlight the desired save file and hit Triangle, then choose "Copy". Copy it to the PSP, which should be near the icon for your external storage device.

7. You will be asked if you want to convert the save before copying, choose yes. Remember which virtual memory card you copied it to.

8. After it is done copying (this may take a while if you have a lot of saves on your PSP memory stick), disconnect the PSP and connect it to your computer. Remember the memory card you copied it to. The name of the game is key in finding the VMP. For example, let's say I copied it to a virtual card created for "Silent Hill". On the PSP memory stick, navigate to PSP -> SAVEDATA.

Now go to gamefaqs.com and look up "Silent Hill". Click on the "Release Data" link. The product ID is the folder name. The US version of Silent Hill's product ID is SLUS-00707. So find a folder named SLUS00707 in the SAVEDATA folder. You will see two VMP files. SCEVMC0.VMP and SCEVMC1.VMP. If you copied to the first memory card slot, your save file will be in SCEVMC0.VMP.

9. Copy this file to your computer. You're going to need to put it in your computer's Vita saves directory, and connect the PS Vita. Refer to your Content Manager settings. The path should be: PS Vita -> PSAVEDATA. On your Vita, you will need to have a PS1 game save copied. In the PSAVEDATA folder look for a folder which has the letters SLUS at the beginning. These are US PS1 save folders. Refer to Gamefaqs for product codes of different regions.

Copy your VMP save to this folder. If you have saves you don't want overwritten in this folder, rename your save to SCEVMC1.VMP if you saved in the first slot.

10. Back on your Vita, select the PC -> PS Vita option and your Playstation save should be there!

I'll proofread this later, I need to upload this save for him now.

zroid

Banned
So with firmware 1.8, the vita's os and social functions make it the best of any console or handheld. Anyone else agree?

not even close, man

but it's getting better. Button navigation helps A LOT.

As for social functions, Vita's definitely the best of any existing dedicated system, but too much of it remains obfuscated by Near, which I refuse to -- pardon my phrasing -- go anywhere near.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Tried the new browser after the update. Pretty damn great! Backtouch scrolling is also amazing. Now I wish my tablet has backtouch lol.

VanWinkle

They can still do a lot more in Vita OS. The apps are mere standalone software now. Should be better integrated. e.g., web browser launching youtube, group chat sharing web page, etc.

Exactly right. Feels like every app is its own thing, and the only thing connected at more than one place is PSN. Of course, folders are also an absolute must, and, although the new button controls are nice, they need to be extended to more areas in which it doesn't make any sense NOT to have them (friends apps, PS Store, lock screen, etc.).

It's still a good OS, with a lot of great features, a robust set of PSN features, and destroys 3DS's OS, but at least 3DS has folders, lol.

zroid

Banned
Not even close? What's better? No other system has free party/ text chat and push notifications for comments, as well as near. I feel more connected with vita than any system by far.

Sorry, I edited to clarify. The social features are the best for sure, it's the OS that continues to be pretty terrible, in my opinion. It's less of a chore to navigate and organize than it was last week, but it's still a chore.

The question is, would such a sale ever come... nothing I've seen in my short time of having a Vita gives me hope for such, lol.

Can't find many opinions for Sam Sho anthology on Vita either... some PSP owners said it was laggy, but that was as a UMD...

The Sam Sho anthology has some janky emulation. The first two games run decently but everything after those two games are a mess. I would definitely opt for the Neo Geo station versions of Sam Sho. The King of Fighters collection on the other hand is a much better port and is coded by M2. It still has brief loading times but they run great.

You didn't just buy it did you? If so, you should've check the compatibility thread first :\

Oh no, I have had it since it launched on PSN. Just decided to try it on my Vita. I didn't know there was a psone compatibility thread as I wasn't able to check GAF as much as I normally do today.

KalBalboa

Banned
Sorry, I edited to clarify. The social features are the best for sure, it's the OS that continues to be pretty terrible, in my opinion. It's less of a chore to navigate than it was last week, but it's still a chore.

Is it really that tough, though? You flip through apps, it's snappier than any phone or tablet I've used in terms of multitasking, and it basically takes the best from the iOs/Android environments while keeping it straight-forward for the sake of gaming.

I know I'm gushing, but what is specifically a "chore" with it? I honestly feel the need to ask because I feel like I might have blinders on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom