• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita general discussion thread, part 4 | "Summer 2012"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Two questions about the card system (apologies if answered already):

1) If I have two memory cards, and two psn accounts; is it possible to have one card on each account and not have to erase anything when switching between cards? Is the recent 'card formatting' problem only when setting up a card for the first time?
Furthermore, if i switch between those two cards back and forth, do i have to do anything to 'switch accounts' (do i still have to reset the vita in some sense, or is switching enough to make the games on each card work properly?)

2) How/where do you see your vita savegames exactly? I know they are attached to the bubble, but i can't seem to browse them in any fashion. I am asking b/c the retail games bubbles show on both cards i have, and i am not sure which card holds the savegame.

Thanks!

zroid

Banned
Is it really that tough, though? You flip through apps, it's snappier than any phone or tablet I've used in terms of multitasking, and it basically takes the best from the iOs/Android environments while keeping it straight-forward for the sake of gaming.

I know I'm gushing, but what is specifically a "chore" with it? I honestly feel the need to ask because I feel like I might have blinders on.

Well, first of all, the apps are still too disconnected from one another.

Second, the Live Area pages, while a nice idea in theory, continue to be more annoying than useful. I waste far more time having to close multiple tabs when I don't want them open (which is most of the time -- exacerbated by the first problem I mentioned), than actually viewing them. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Third, the bubbles continue to be awful. They can't be resized, they take excessively long to move/sort (especially when you need to put them on a different page), and the number you can put on each page is far too limiting. Oh, and that thing about folders, of course :)

Fourth, still too much reliance on touch. It's unfortunate that, despite the excellent button implementation of 1.80, you still can't do something as simple as close the lock screen without touch, or navigate the Vita's PSN Store or Trophy list, for that matter.

Overall, solid improvement, but much more needs to be done before I'll be impressed. :p

I've decided - I'm going for the double plat in Sound Shapes, then I'll delete it off my Vita and get Alundra and Wild Arms... or Arc the Lad. Still not sure. I definitely want to play through Alundra though!

Prepare yourself to feel a strong urge to Ross your Vita against wall when playing Sound Shape's "Death Mode".

KalBalboa

Banned
Well, first of all, the apps are still too disconnected from one another.

Second, the Live Area pages, while a nice idea in theory, continue to be more annoying than useful. I waste far more time having to close multiple tabs when I don't want them open (which is most of the time), than actually viewing them. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Third, the bubbles continue to be awful. They can't be resized, they take excessively long to move/sort (especially when you need to put them on a different page), and the number you can put on each page is far too limiting. Oh, and that thing about folders, of course :)

Fourth, still too much reliance on touch. It's unfortunate that, despite the excellent button implementation of 1.80, you still can't do something as simple as close the lock screen without touch, or navigate the Vita's PSN Store or Trophy list, for that matter.

Overall, solid improvement, but much more needs to be done before I'll be impressed. :p

1) I agree with your first point that friends & messaging should somehow be more connected, but it's just so snappy now that I don't think it's an issue. I mean, when you look at a contact on your phone and message them via email, text, g-chat or whatever you still need to launch another app, so to speak.

2) Some of the Live area pages should auto-bypass. They've gotten generally more useful and some games make dynamite use of them, so I hope they stay. Look at the new Near one to see what potential there is.

3) I guess I have no issue with the bubbles. They're just icons and delete, move, and are accessed in virtually the same way as any would be on an iOS or Android device. Folders would be good for those in want of it though- that should be coming.

4) The touch reliance is another one of those things that they've made some major strides against in this update. like you said, but the vast majority of people have spoken in favor of with iPhones, Galaxies, etc. More options are always good though, so I expect option button usage to gradually pop up in the PS Store. Touching icons just feels way faster for me, personally.

zroid

Banned
Touching icons to open them is generally fine, but only when they're in clear sight. Then it's just a simple tap. When you need to start combining gestures and all that jazz it becomes a problem for me.

For what it's worth, I have never been fond of how iOS and most Android devices function. I've begrudgingly accepted it as standard, but they are nowhere near my ideal. But a Vita isn't a phone, I haven't accepted it to function the same way.

Call me old-fashioned if you must, but when I have buttons, I like to use them. The screen is enough of a grease and smudge magnet without me rubbing my digits all over it constantly.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The Sam Sho anthology has some janky emulation. The first two games run decently but everything after those two games are a mess. I would definitely opt for the Neo Geo station versions of Sam Sho. The King of Fighters collection on the other hand is a much better port and is coded by M2. It still has brief loading times but they run great.

Cool, thanks a lot for the info!

I mostly want the Samsho collection for 6, but if it's too bad, I won't consider it for now.

I really wanna support the M2 emulations, but I wish their library was full of more things I didn't have 2 or 3x over.

And their ad hoc modes (Neo Geo Station versions) really don't work on a PSP 1000? Ugh. Guess it's no worse than PS1 emulations, save for the fact I can't even play them 2p once I get a PS3 someday...

see5harp

So with firmware 1.8, the vita's os and social functions make it the best of any console or handheld. Anyone else agree? Hope the ps4 matches and exceeds vita in this regard, which I'm sure it will

Seeing as you thought this was the case BEFORE this update, it's hard to take you seriously. When some games with online come out that showcase the way I expect invites to work then sure it's the best system that doesn't cost anything.

Seeing as you thought this was the case BEFORE this update, it's hard to take you seriously. When some games with online come out that showcase the way I expect invites to work then sure it's the best system that doesn't cost anything.

It was the case before the update, albeit with huge nagging issues that I also brought up that hindered its full potential. Those issues are now gone

patsu

Sure!

1. Create this path in the root directory of the external storage device that you will be connecting to the PS3: PS3 -> EXPORT -> PSV.

2. Place the PSV file in this directory.

3. Connect the device to the PS3 and go to Memory Card Utility under GAME. Scroll to the top and you should see your device.

4. Connect your PSP to the PS3 and make sure the USB connection is active on the PSP.

5. Navigate to your external storage device and you should see your PSV files which show up as proper PS1 memory card saves. Copy them to a virtual memory card on the PS3. You will have to create one if you haven't already.

6. Navigate to the virtual memory card you copied the save to. Highlight the desired save file and hit Triangle, then choose "Copy". Copy it to the PSP, which should be near the icon for your external storage device.

7. You will be asked if you want to convert the save before copying, choose yes. Remember which virtual memory card you copied it to.

8. After it is done copying (this may take a while if you have a lot of saves on your PSP memory stick), disconnect the PSP and connect it to your computer. Remember the memory card you copied it to. The name of the game is key in finding the VMP. For example, let's say I copied it to a virtual card created for "Silent Hill". On the PSP memory stick, navigate to PSP -> SAVEDATA.

Now go to gamefaqs.com and look up "Silent Hill". Click on the "Release Data" link. The product ID is the folder name. The US version of Silent Hill's product ID is SLUS-00707. So find a folder named SLUS00707 in the SAVEDATA folder. You will see two VMP files. SCEVMC0.VMP and SCEVMC1.VMP. If you copied to the first memory card slot, your save file will be in SCEVMC0.VMP.

9. Copy this file to your computer. You're going to need to put it in your computer's Vita saves directory, and connect the PS Vita. Refer to your Content Manager settings. The path should be: PS Vita -> PSAVEDATA. On your Vita, you will need to have a PS1 game save copied. In the PSAVEDATA folder look for a folder which has the letters SLUS at the beginning. These are US PS1 save folders. Refer to Gamefaqs for product codes of different regions.

Copy your VMP save to this folder. If you have saves you don't want overwritten in this folder, rename your save to SCEVMC1.VMP if you saved in the first slot.

10. Back on your Vita, select the PC -> PS Vita option and your Playstation save should be there!

I'll proofread this later, I need to upload this save for him now.

*clap* *clap* *clap* Bravo !

bunbun777

Loving the update, things seem to be loading faster. Great being able to use buttons now and back touch for web pages is so much better for me. Upgrade!

Kazzy

Gah, having to download the PSone games through the console is horrendous. The DL speeds are ridiculous, and here I was thinking that signing up for a NA account would be the best choice!

Skyzard

Banned
You sure it isn't your internet? Or perhaps if the ps3 is connected by wifi - the signal is bad in its location? DL speeds are usually alright for me, tad on the slow side but barable.

Hanmik

I transfered these games over last night..

Crash 1+2+3
Crash team racing
Resident Evil 1+2+3
Final fantasy V
Silent hill
Bishi Bashi Special
DisneY´s: Hercules
and Abe´s Exodus.

I only tried Silent Hill (the first game I transfered from my PS3 to the Vita). It ran fine.. but having to use the Rear Touch to use the weapons.. no sir that does not work.. no no no no.. that sucked..

And then I encountered are really strange and irritating problem with my PS1 games..
See I downloaded all these games from my download list on the PS3 and transferred them to the Vita. Worked fine.. most of the games are from my PS+ time ( I have been a PS+ supporter for almost two years in Europe ).. and I still have 58 days left on my Plus subscription.
My sub never ran out I just renewed it last year when it was about to end. But somehow lots of my PS1 games installed on my PS3 had expired. I noticed the expiration date was around the time my PS+ sub got renewed.
I know that this has happened to a few people, they fixed it by going to their download list and starting the download of the game again (activating it that way), and then stopping it right away. This worked for me too, all my expired games worked again after this trick. But it was a pain searching for the games on my download list (some 400-500 items on the list, which cannot be sorted).
But here comes the strange part. I knew I had downloaded Abe´s Odysey last year when it was free on PS+, but I could not find it on my download list. It wasn´t there. And that wasn´t even the only game. Medievil, Destruction Derby and Abe´s Odysey are all missing on my download list. This is just crap.. really crap.. I have the games on my PS3, but cannot play them because they are expired (even though I´m still a PS+´er)..
I tried looking in the store, and could only find Medievil in there (the other to games where somwhow missing form my PSN store also now).. and Medievil has a Blue shopping bag on it, and I Have to rebuy it to play it again.--

wtf is this..? has anybody else expirienced the same..? if you are a EU PS+ subscriber, please check your download list and look for Abe´s Odysey, Medievil and Destruction Derby.. are there on your list..?

JoshHood

wtf is this..? has anybody else expirienced the same..? if you are a EU PS+ subscriber, please check your download list and look for Abe´s Odysey, Medievil and Destruction Derby.. are there on your list..?

UK subscriber since PS+ launch here - everything's fine my end, all activated, all three games in my download list and found via search on the Store too, with red shopping bag icons!

Touching icons to open them is generally fine, but only when they're in clear sight. Then it's just a simple tap. When you need to start combining gestures and all that jazz it becomes a problem for me.

For what it's worth, I have never been fond of how iOS and most Android devices function. I've begrudgingly accepted it as standard, but they are nowhere near my ideal. But a Vita isn't a phone, I haven't accepted it to function the same way.

Call me old-fashioned if you must, but when I have buttons, I like to use them. The screen is enough of a grease and smudge magnet without me rubbing my digits all over it constantly.

I think your preference of buttons over touch is the main reason your issues exist. Which is fine as you are perfectly entitled to feel that way but I dont think most people will feel the same way. While the Vita isnt a smart phone it does have a lot in common with tablets which are touch screen and people are used to it. I like the fact buttons can be used on the main OS now but I still default to the touch screen to navigate. Its just faster (maybe because of all the grease)

The one point that I imagine everyone will agree on is the folders though. The are just needed.

Also I really like the live areas. If I have 2 / 3 games that I'm switching between and even the you tube app, they are all there next to each other and I don't have to go and keep reopening them from the cluster of bubbles on other pages.

In reality they are never going to make a OS that's perfect for everyone but they are doing a good job at making a decent one. Bar IOS is the only one I have used that is smooth and snappy.

All I really want now is folders and to improve the web browser and youtube app a bit more. Browser needs copy / past and the ability to open up youtube links into the youtube app. The other thing the youtube app needs is just a few more of the options (subcriptions and more search options like time etc.).

minimoke

I have the exact same problem, I think these were free downloads in my first year of a PS+ member and haven't carried over to my new subscription:-(

I hope Sony get around to fixing this!

spats

Now I'm happy. <3

7886361436_32cd700cc4_z.jpg

gkryhewy

Yes, you can use the CMA to copy it to Vita, but it does the same thing as transferring it to a PSP (it asks you to put it inside an already existing virtual memory card). I don't have FFVII--this may be an issue.

The conversion process looks like it packs the PSV into the VMP, so the save file now seems trapped inside my second Castlevania SotN virtual memory card. I have no clue if you can extract the save from that virtual card while you're on a Vita.

My head hurts.

edit: I can upload the VMP I ended up with, and you can chance using the Content Manager to overwrite one of your existing VMPs for FFVII. Brave souls, here you go. If you don't trust that website, please recommend another uploading site that doesn't require an account. =

edit 2: I tested my overwriting theory, and it works! Use the Content Manager and overwrite the VMP in your FFVII folder with that file. Yay!

Thank you! That VMP works perfectly.

Sure!

1. Create this path in the root directory of the external storage device that you will be connecting to the PS3: PS3 -> EXPORT -> PSV.

2. Place the PSV file in this directory.

3. Connect the device to the PS3 and go to Memory Card Utility under GAME. Scroll to the top and you should see your device.

4. Connect your PSP to the PS3 and make sure the USB connection is active on the PSP.

5. Navigate to your external storage device and you should see your PSV files which show up as proper PS1 memory card saves. Copy them to a virtual memory card on the PS3. You will have to create one if you haven't already.

6. Navigate to the virtual memory card you copied the save to. Highlight the desired save file and hit Triangle, then choose "Copy". Copy it to the PSP, which should be near the icon for your external storage device.

7. You will be asked if you want to convert the save before copying, choose yes. Remember which virtual memory card you copied it to.

8. After it is done copying (this may take a while if you have a lot of saves on your PSP memory stick), disconnect the PSP and connect it to your computer. Remember the memory card you copied it to. The name of the game is key in finding the VMP. For example, let's say I copied it to a virtual card created for "Silent Hill". On the PSP memory stick, navigate to PSP -> SAVEDATA.

Now go to gamefaqs.com and look up "Silent Hill". Click on the "Release Data" link. The product ID is the folder name. The US version of Silent Hill's product ID is SLUS-00707. So find a folder named SLUS00707 in the SAVEDATA folder. You will see two VMP files. SCEVMC0.VMP and SCEVMC1.VMP. If you copied to the first memory card slot, your save file will be in SCEVMC0.VMP.

9. Copy this file to your computer. You're going to need to put it in your computer's Vita saves directory, and connect the PS Vita. Refer to your Content Manager settings. The path should be: PS Vita -> PSAVEDATA. On your Vita, you will need to have a PS1 game save copied. In the PSAVEDATA folder look for a folder which has the letters SLUS at the beginning. These are US PS1 save folders. Refer to Gamefaqs for product codes of different regions.

Copy your VMP save to this folder. If you have saves you don't want overwritten in this folder, rename your save to SCEVMC1.VMP if you saved in the first slot.

10. Back on your Vita, select the PC -> PS Vita option and your Playstation save should be there!

I'll proofread this later, I need to upload this save for him now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Shinriji

Cool, thanks a lot for the info!

I mostly want the Samsho collection for 6, but if it's too bad, I won't consider it for now.

I really wanna support the M2 emulations, but I wish their library was full of more things I didn't have 2 or 3x over.

And their ad hoc modes (Neo Geo Station versions) really don't work on a PSP 1000? Ugh. Guess it's no worse than PS1 emulations, save for the fact I can't even play them 2p once I get a PS3 someday...

I played Sam Sho yesterday online via Ad-hoc Party :)

Tizoc

Say I have an SF2 Ken avatar on my US PSN account but I can't dl it on my Vita; is there a way to do that?
Also HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO PLAY MOTORSTORM RC?!

The last few pages of excitement really made me wish I gave a shit about the ps1 library or going back and playing old games at all really. Still just playing p3p on my vita until AC/P4G
I just started up Final Fantasy VII and VIII on my Vita to see what they looked like, and I'm telling you it's breath-taking. They've never looked this good! The Vita will be the definitive way to play these games from now on, afaic...

ICyTK.jpg

We've waited too long for this, and needing a PS3 is bullshit, but I'm awfully glad we've finally got it...

demigod

But it was a pain searching for the games on my download list (some 400-500 items on the list, which cannot be sorted).wtf is this..? has anybody else expirienced the same..? if you are a EU PS+ subscriber, please check your download list and look for Abe´s Odysey, Medievil and Destruction Derby.. are there on your list..?

Yep, this is so stupid. I have over 100 in my download list THAT I'VE NEVER DOWNLOADED BEFORE!!! Why the hell can't they sort that shit between stuff I've added and stuff that I actually downloaded??? How hard is this shit?!? There might be a cap of how many can be on that list, the new stuff probably booted those games that you had. Just like there's a cap on friendlist. Also, I bought the RE games back then for a discount even though I could've gotten them for free with PS+. If you want a game that you know you'll keep and not sure 100% you'll sub to PS+ forever, just buy it.

I just started up Final Fantasy VII and VIII on my Vita to see what they looked like, and I'm telling you it's breath-taking. They've never looked this good! The Vita will be the definitive way to play these games from now on, afaic...

Playing old games on Vita is like playing old games in High Definition.

I gotta agree with Zeer0id on touch. I'm fine with it on my iphone because I don't game on it. This is where the problem lies for me. I don't like to touch the screen because I can see my fingerprint/smudges on it. I mean I wouldn't mind it if the game requires touching, but games I've been playing haven't required them. And yeah I have a screen protector, I don't want to wipe the screen everytime I play since I use the browser. This firmware adding buttons helped, but most apps still require touching with the keyboard/links. Why didn't they allow the backtouch to touch the browser links instead of just scrolling up and down? Why can't I use buttons with the keyboard layout?

Vitacat

I know. I sold my copy of Wipeout 2048 in anticipation of a PSN price drop to $19.99 or less, damn it.

Is the $19.99 retail price the official Sony msrp? If so, when the hell is the digital price gonna match it?

Seriously. I wanna buy this game digitally, but not for $16 more than retail. Damn.

UPDATE: just noticed several Vita games seem to be much cheaper retail than digital. WTF? For example, Hot Shots Golf and Modnation Racers are also 19.99 in every single store. But on PSN they are more. Again, WTF? Did I not pay enough extra for my 32GB card already?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom