• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Game Boost Reconfirmed By Sony Exec, Games With Unlocked Frame Rate/Dynamic Resolution Will Automatically See Improvements

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS5Pro-3-4.jpg

Toshimasa Aoki, Product Manager for PlayStation, has reconfirmed details on the PS5 Pro Game Boost feature, which was previously mentioned by lead architect Mark Cerny during the console’s announcement a few weeks ago.

PS5 Pro has a function called “Game Boost”. Even if it is not a PS5 Pro compatible version, if the game uses a variable refresh rate or variable resolution, it will be able to be displayed more stably even if it is set to a high setting. However, in the case of games that are fixed at 30 FPS, it cannot be supported unless it is unlocked.

PS5 Pro Game Boost is able to vastly improved the performance of more than 8,500 backwards compatible PS4 games, but it’s also able to apply some of its magic to PS5 titles. Specifically, Aoki-san revealed that even if a title is not PS5 Pro Enhanced, then Game Boost can improve things providing the game has unlocked frame rate and resolution.

dj khaled sip GIF by Apple Music

diffusionx

Gold Member
What games do you see really benefitting from this? Pick only games without announced enhancements (e.g. not DD2)
Elden Ring
Wo Long
BG3
DMC5SE (launch game, shoddy port)
Resident Evil 2/4

Shifty1897

FF16 won't work much with it at current. Whenever you enter battle the game automatically drops to 720p on performance mode, they'd have to patch that.

Happy for Dragons Dogma 2 fans though, they should see some improvements there.

Kacho

What games do you see really benefitting from this? Pick only games without announced enhancements (e.g. not DD2)
Elden Ring
Wo Long
BG3
Resident Evil 2/4
Any game with a performance mode most likely. Say something like AssCreed Valhalla or Avatar Frontiers. The dynamic res with see a huge boost and likely no frame drops without the need for a patch. Dying Light 2 would be another good test game. I believe that res was dropping really low at points.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Any game with a performance mode most likely. Say something like AssCreed Valhalla or Avatar Frontiers. The dynamic res with see a huge boost and likely no frame drops without the need for a patch. Dying Light 2 would be another good test game. I believe that res was dropping really low at points.
Yea im trying to think of games that will really benefit.

Elden Ring for sure will be locked 60. BG3 probably will run the same, but GAF experts told me that Zen 2 inside Pro will magicaly perform 2x better so I believe them.
Mad Salt Shaker GIF by Animanias

Three

Elden Ring
Wo Long
BG3
Resident Evil 2/4
You have a good list already.
My top picks:

Elden Ring,
Black Myth Wukong
Robocop
Cyberpunk 2077
Lords of the Fallen

+ most games with 120fps modes though they might not benefit as much I imagine.

hinch7

My launch day PS5 has some, Sony might dislike money but generic vendors on Amazon love money and they look great
Ah nice, didn't even realise there were aftermarket ones in that color. Was searching everywhere for one a few years back but never saw any.

Annoying that Sony doesn't make them, they would sell gangbusters.. going by how crazy fast the LE's sold out. Granted scalpers and everything.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
They can be. Modders can do it, Sony can do it (even on OS level most likely). They just don't want to.
I know. You go almost illegal by Jailbreaking a PS5 and can play at rocksolid 60fps RDR2, Bloodborne, DriveClub and basically every game you can imagine, some only ever playable on Sony consoles.
You pay $700 for an hardware upgrade and can only play those countless 30fps PS4 games at 30fps.

XPSGR5o.gif

I get those 30fps-only games could manifest issues once brutally unlocked, but you just put a classy warning on your toggle and leave the choice at the hands of your enthusiast, paying user.

Last edited:

ZehDon

... so the same as the PS4 Pro's boost mode, the PlayStation 5's PS4's bc setup, the Xbox One X, the Xbox Series X and the Xbox Series S then?

"Sony exec reconfirms that, yes, PS5 Pro really will play all your PS5 games!"

You have a good list already.
My top picks:

Elden Ring,
Black Myth Wukong
Robocop
Cyberpunk 2077
Lords of the Fallen

+ most games with 120fps modes though they might not benefit as much I imagine.
Good to see Cyberpunk 2077 will work with boost mode at least. I'm hoping for a patch from CD but I doubt we get one. I have to go back and play the DLC eventually.

tommib

Can't wait too see Elden Ring and Bloodborne on 4k/60fps on ps5 pro.
I’m really curious to see the Elden Ring quality ray tracing mode performing on the Pro. It’s under 30 fps most of the times. It’s going to be one of the best benchmarks.

Last edited:
$1000 dollar console.

Screenshot-2024-10-02-at-5-27-06-PM.png

Goddamn expensive fucking machine, with $100 dollar games.

And people wonder why I am so hard on trash/lazy devs, and shit graphics.

Wow. Why not include taxes in the price? That really annoys me as a Brit. All prices you see on UK retailers have VAT (Added Value Tax) included. No body has got time to work out the after tax prices!

Top Bottom