• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro pre-orders go live |OT|

AngelMuffin

"This beautifully staged screenshot is a fair summary of how I feel tonight. Many of you have noticed that #NoMansSky is now marked as a #PS5Pro enhanced title on the PlayStation store - the only thing I’d like to say as an engine programmer who has been through all the PS iterations since PS1, is that this console absolutely rocks ."

Radio Silence Comedy GIF by Dead Meat James

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

"This beautifully staged screenshot is a fair summary of how I feel tonight. Many of you have noticed that #NoMansSky is now marked as a #PS5Pro enhanced title on the PlayStation store - the only thing I’d like to say as an engine programmer who has been through all the PS iterations since PS1, is that this console absolutely rocks ."

I swear someone around here kept telling people to hold judgement until they see it running and not base it on the specs on paper

And honestly the couple of people I know that had direct dealings with the devkit say pretty much the same thing and how easy patches are to make use of pro features

Topher

Gold Member
I swear someone around here kept telling people to hold judgement until they see it running and not base it on the specs on paper

And honestly the couple of people I know that had direct dealings with the devkit say pretty much the same thing and how easy patches are to make use of pro features

I was beating that drum a few days ago. I don't know any devs but I do know that time and time again the mantra for new hardware has always been "wait and see how it performs in real games". I'll just speak for myself and say I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. I have no expectations that it is going knock it out of the park for every game, but for most it will have the best version on consoles. Really looking forward with what first party gives us with the Pro.

Luipadre

I was beating that drum a few days ago. I don't know any devs but I do know that time and time again the mantra for new hardware has always been "wait and see how it performs in real games". I'll just speak for myself and say I've been impressed with what I've seen so far. I have no expectations that it is going knock it out of the park for every game, but for most it will have the best version on consoles. Really looking forward with what first party gives us with the Pro.

I really want to see how alan wake 2 is gonna look in performance mode. The FSR was horrible in that game and the perf mode was blurry and low settings

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I have been on that kick for about a year plus notice no talks about TFs this time

panda-zebra

The anniversary pro states that there were 12k units made in the product description, the anniversary slim does not. I think there's a chance.
Interesting you mention this. I ordered both a pro 30th and slim 30th. The pro I'm using as my main machine, not interested in what people think it's worth I just want it to have it and use it. The slim I only bought because I could, don't need another ps5 we've got 2 already. So there would be no point even opening the box if I never intended using it and that just seemed daft. I don't collect things for the sake of having them anymore, just stuff I use/have used, so I cancelled it. Someone was monitoring because it went back in stock for about 30 seconds then vanished again. So it's now off to some scalper most likely or just some random fan, either way glad it's not coming here to sit unopened.

The Switch didn’t sell out for over 48 hours after launch in the US and that was a whole new system. We know how that turned out. Covid’s system / component struggle has warped everyone’s baseline of normal.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The Switch didn’t sell out for over 48 hours after launch in the US and that was a whole new system. We know how that turned out. Covid’s system / component struggle has warped everyone’s baseline of normal.
People seem to forget when PS5 first went up for preorder you could walk into stores days later and still preorder them

At Gamestop you could as I waited for several days before placing a second preorder

Things went downhill fast though with shortages

We are a China invasion of Taiwan away( or tariff war) before components shoot up again because of supply chain issues. The thought of a PS5 price hike 4 years in the generation was unfathomable in 2020 so who knows how much a Pro could go up in the future 😳

dmaul1114

Totally,

Plus, as I and others have said, the PS4 Pro only ended up accounting for 13% of the PS4 consoles sold.

These mid gen refreshes aren’t meant to be huge sellers or expand the console base. They’re to make more money off diehards who’ll upgrade, maybe indirectly expand the base as we sell or trade in our base models and gamers who didn’t buy a new base model jump in with a cheaper used option etc.

I imagine these sell for a profit even now, so they’re fine with preorders not selling out etc. It’s just to make more money the rest of the gen for those who’ll upgrade and a few who decide to jump in with the pricier pro model now or later in teh generation. The Slim model will still be their main focus and biggest seller from now through the PS6 launch.

Brucey

People seem to forget when PS5 first went up for preorder you could walk into stores days later and still preorder them

At Gamestop you could as I waited for several days before placing a second preorder

Things went downhill fast though with shortages
I ended up getting my fatty drive drive from a colleague for $800, ended up scoring one from Walmart online shortly after and flipped that for $800 myself so it all balanced out there.

Brucey

This happen to anyone on here?
Sounds like possible payment issues with card company versus an endemic problem, I think there were reports of Discover blocking due to possible fraud at least initially?

"In the email, it says the order was cancelled because the payment method doesn't work. Meanwhile, in the account it cites "fraud cancellation." This may indicate the bank denied the transfer after review suspecting a suspicious purchase, likely because of the high cost of the purchase. To this end, PlayStation fans who put in orders on PlayStation Direct may want to contact their bank to get ahead of this potential problem. "

Having a console sale for over $1000 prob threw off their anti fraud logic.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Can you use the store credit towards PSN gift cards?
Confirmed today that you can use store credit towards PSN cards. They fought me a little bit over it though. I asked if I could use store credit for PSN cards and they flat out said "No". I told them I thought I had read that you can use them for physical cards but not online. They said we could try it and when I swiped the card, it accepted it. I walked out with $400 worth of cards.

So your mileage may vary but it I will definitely work if you have a trade in card. It might be best not to even tell them and just swipe the card when it comes time for the payment.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Confirmed today that you can use store credit towards PSN cards. They fought me a little bit over it though. I asked if I could use store credit for PSN cards and they flat out said "No". I told them I thought I had read that you can use them for physical cards but not online. They said we could try it and when I swiped the card, it accepted it. I walked out with $400 worth of cards.

So your mileage may vary but it I will definitely work if you have a trade in card. It might be best not to even tell them and just swipe the card when it comes time for the payment.

What do you mean by a trade in card?

LOL Walmart briefly put the 30th anni Slim preorders up for Walmart+ members only

Might have been a mistake, intern clicked the wrong button or something, not supposed to go live until 10/10

demigod

Well if I am being honest the night before preorders went up I was in Discord with a few friends and one of the guys said he may go as high as $10k for one and I laughed and said if one of you guys get one I will double that price

I will also preface this by saying these guys are long time high school and college friends and I know I am over paying but you know what its a dear friend, I know it will make his life a little easier plus he straight up said he wasn't after one but knew I wanted it and he wanted that money so wasn't going to go back on what I had said

So people here feel free to torch me but I know I wont get scammed at least
God damn, if it doesn’t work out let me know!

Kerotan

Sounds like possible payment issues with card company versus an endemic problem, I think there were reports of Discover blocking due to possible fraud at least initially?

"In the email, it says the order was cancelled because the payment method doesn't work. Meanwhile, in the account it cites "fraud cancellation." This may indicate the bank denied the transfer after review suspecting a suspicious purchase, likely because of the high cost of the purchase. To this end, PlayStation fans who put in orders on PlayStation Direct may want to contact their bank to get ahead of this potential problem. "

Having a console sale for over $1000 prob threw off their anti fraud logic.
How can it be payment issues if they don't take payments until a week before release?

My credit card was charged 1 cent and then refunded it so all they did was check if the card works.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Never doubt Cerny making a great console. He always makes it easy for Devs, and focuses on the right things that need to be addressed from previous hardware.

Everyone got upset at the 10TF figure with PS5...that turned out to be bogus.

Many people are upset at the 45% raster increase....that too will end up being bogus. The reality is there's only so much to scale the hardware by adding more Compute, there's diminishing returns there.

S0ULZB0URNE

I'm not saying you were like this, but there were plenty of posts saying "everyone complaining at the price and it will sell out in minutes". That has not happened at all, it is still available in the UK. If it sells 5% of the PS5 number, do you consider that a success for Sony? Will developers support it properly?

Also, I can't comment for other parts of the world but retailers absolutely CAN NOT sit on aged stock in the UK. Why do you think the PSVR2 fire sale happened?

In the UK most distributors work to 90 day aged. If you hit 90 Days on your stock that is held at a Disti, you better start looking at SOA (Sales out allowance) to clear that stock, or you risk the disti, company pulling out the SOR ( sale or return) terms and the system goes back to the manufacturer/supplier. No one wants that as its double shipping losses / costs and doesn't go on anyone's number for revenue and sales. So the number one route is to support the product with discounts to clear it, then you can purchase new stock and the cycle repeats.

Let's see how this plays out, but the narrative is deffo changing from "This will sell out in minutes, better queue up for your pre order" to "This will be readily available its a niche product"
Must you kick these narratives in every PlayStation thread?

dmaul1114

Never got an email notification, but I just got am email that the disc drive was shipped.
Same for me for the disc drive and vertical stand. Surprised I got that as I haven’t gotten order confirmation, PS Blog e-mails etc. from Sony in a couple of years.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Let's see how this plays out, but the narrative is deffo changing from "This will sell out in minutes, better queue up for your pre order" to "This will be readily available its a niche product"

Who claimed it would sell out in minutes? You're only creating a narrative. The PS4 Pro didn't sell out in the US and was readily available. It was always going to be a niche product just like the PS4 Pro was. It's selling to the 10-15% of enthusiast gamers.

But yes, in general it is a good idea to queue up for your pre-order because you have no idea what the supply situation looks like. A product can have low demand, but also low supply, and still potentially sell out.

S0ULZB0URNE

Who claimed it would sell out in minutes? You're only creating a narrative. The PS4 Pro didn't sell out in the US and was readily available. It was always going to be a niche product just like the PS4 Pro was. It's selling to the 10-15% of enthusiast gamers.

But yes, in general it is a good idea to queue up for your pre-order because you have no idea what the supply situation looks like. A product can have low demand, but also low supply, and still potentially sell out.
Plus lets not forget many retailers canceled PS5 pre-orders so who knows how this will go?

People might skip pre-ordering and not be able to get one at launch.

Honestly it's nice that Sony put up their preorders so early, if there actually is a rush on 10/10 and the major retailers somehow sell out, you're secured your bag

If not then just cancel your preorder with PS Direct and buy from Amazon/Best Buy/Walmart/Target/Gamestop wherever you can get your best deal

Brucey

Yup the only "narrative" is all the strawmen he's created.

dcx4610

What do you mean by a trade in card?
If you do a trade in, they put the money on a trade in card unless you put the money on something immediately. Apparently if you have a GameStop gift card, it won’t allow you to buy any sort of gift card like PSN or Steam. If you have a trade in card though , it works just like a debit card but they might fight with you a bit over it.

Brucey

How can it be payment issues if they don't take payments until a week before release?

My credit card was charged 1 cent and then refunded it so all they did was check if the card works.
Some apparently got payment declined at that pre auth stage. Did they pre auth for a $1 or the full $1000+?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Some apparently got payment declined at that pre auth stage. Did they pre auth for a $1 or the full $1000+?
In my case they stated they’d do a pre-authorization for the full amount and then it would fall off after 1-8 days. Showed on my card as $699 and pending, then fell off the next day.

Top Bottom