• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Xtib81

Damn, the pro model not releasing this year would be a huge bummer ! I'm already holding off buying new AAA games cuz I want to play them on the ps5 pro, so if I have to wait another 6 months, it's gonna be a loooong wait.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Damn, the pro model not releasing this year would be a huge bummer ! I'm already holding off buying new AAA games cuz I want to play them on the ps5 pro, so if I have to wait another 6 months, it's gonna be a loooong wait.
Was hoping to perhaps grab one bundled with a new TV or something.

Imtjnotu

Sad Friends Tv GIF

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Almost no chance. Only thing I could see is a change to the clocks.
That depends on when the delay, if any, had been decided, how long the delay is if any, and any eventual competing revisions that might have been available and might come back into play.

Memory speed (clocks and amount) may change, SSD speed and size might change, SoC clocks may change, cooling and power supply may change, etc…

We will see :).

ManaByte

Gold Member
I tried to tell everyone.

About a month ago SEI sent out a survey to people on the PSN mailing list. The survey specifically had a couple of questions relating to buying the "latest and greatest" hardware.

This was AFTER the new CEOs took over.

It could be that Jimbo wanted the Pro out but the new people in charge aren't so sure about releasing an expensive upgrade right now.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That depends on when the delay, if any, had been decided, how long the delay is if any, and any eventual competing revisions that might have been available and might come back into play.

Memory speed (clocks and amount) may change, SSD speed and size might change, SoC clocks may change, cooling and power supply may change, etc…

We will see :).
If some of those change, then the console will not come out anytime soon.

vivftp

About a month ago SEI sent out a survey to people on the PSN mailing list. The survey specifically had a couple of questions relating to buying the "latest and greatest" hardware.

It could be that Jimbo wanted the Pro out but the new people in charge aren't so sure about releasing an expensive upgrade right now.

lol, it's coming. Still expecting it later this year myself, but it's coming regardless. They've got devkits out there already, they're well past the point of no return on IF the Pro is going to be released. Maybe there is a question of when, but not if.

lol, it's coming. Still expecting it later this year myself, but it's coming regardless. They've got devkits out there already, they're well past the point of no return on IF the Pro is going to be released. Maybe there is a question of when, but not if.
Agreed with DKs out there its not getting canned

Just curious if delayed was it because they know Xbox isn't doing a pro and new GPUs are pushed back until after the first of the year whats the real incentive to push it out there?

ManaByte

Gold Member

Tom Henderson is the person who broke the rumor about the Pro in the first place. He's not sure of it releasing this year. He knows more about it than you do.

feynoob

Banned
It will 100% release this year. Sales are already slowing down and it’s best to release around the holidays.
That would be bad for them, because there isnt a big game that can utilize it.
Next year would be good with whatever big game they are cooking.

ManaByte

Gold Member
It will 100% release this year. Sales are already slowing down and it’s best to release around the holidays.

Sales are slowing down due to the economy and people not having a spare $500 to spend on a console. A $600 ask is a non-starter right now.

feynoob

Banned
You need the incentives to buy the pro. Right now, that doesnt exist, as they dont have a heavy hitter line up this year.
You also have to account the economy situation. No big game for an upgrade console? The ps5 is working great and most games still on old gen.

We arent living ps4 pro timeline. This is uncharted territory for gaming companies.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Given that developer timelines are ahead of PS4Pro launch, pushing it back now would be really weird.
Hell I worked on one of the Pro launch showcases and we got devkits later that year than this forum got leaks for PS5Pro this time.

Anyway the primary effect (and likely reason for their existence) upgraded mid-gen refreshes have had to date was increased ARSP (and this has been consistent across 3 generations of Nintendo handhelds as well as Sony/MS consoles). So why would management that is focused on profit margins push back on that?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Four years into the generation, if it doesn’t release this year I doubt it will ever be released. I was curious so I went back and looked and Sony announced the PS4 pro in September with release in November. I doubt they want to do a long ramp up for this thing.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Four years into the generation, if it doesn’t release this year I doubt it will ever be released. I was curious so I went back and looked and Sony announced the PS4 pro in September with release in November. I doubt they want to do a long ramp up for this thing.
Wouldn't be shocked if it was a PS Direct exclusive when and if it releases.

Perrott

Lol if it gets delayed after all the edging we gone through. Maybe Sony do want to launch it with something big.
It doesn't get any bigger than releasing it at the same time as Assassin's Creed Shadows and Call of Duty: Black Ops 6, with Star Wars Outlaws getting enhancements in time for Black Friday.

The next, traditional AAA release coming out of Sony, Death Stranding 2, is more of a prestige offering than a sales behemoth, so if you were to wait for a big, first-party seller then you'd have to wait until September 2025 when Marvel's Spider-Man: Venom comes out. And I hope you realize how ridiculous that'd be - delaying a finished product's launch 10 months for nothing really, because the game will still release with Pro optimizations regardless of how long or little the hardware has been on the market.

A Pro console launch doesn't need to be tied to any tentpole software release (unlike the next Nintendo console), and even then, they'll have the long in development remake of Horizon: Zero Dawn (which I'll let you guess why they didn't announce it at Summer Game Fest) as a showcase of the system's capabilities at launch, on top of bespoke enhancements for existing titles and the graphically impressive, UE5-powered Silent Hill 2 coming out just a few weeks ahead of the Pro.

I guarantee you that they aren't concern with the lineup they have in place for 2024. This is a huge year for games.
supply strains again ?
The amount of units required to meet demand this holiday is insignificant compared to the volume of PS5 consoles they needed to produce back in 2020-2021 to establish a solid install base for the current generation. It is a premium offering coming out four years into the PS5 lifecycle after all.

Last edited:

zapper

Henderson is reliable but he also questioned the release of the "slim" PS5 a year ago (he himself leaked it like the Pro) because Sony hadn't announced it yet and then in August it was announced on the PS blog.

It's quite likely that the pro will also be announced in August or September.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Disappointed by the PS5 Pro cancellation, but hey at least that'll be $600+ more in my pocket . 😉

Last edited:

vivftp

Agreed with DKs out there its not getting canned

Just curious if delayed was it because they know Xbox isn't doing a pro and new GPUs are pushed back until after the first of the year whats the real incentive to push it out there?

I would guess the holiday sales period.

Tom Henderson is the person who broke the rumor about the Pro in the first place. He's not sure of it releasing this year. He knows more about it than you do.

Of course Tom Henderson knows more about this than me or anyone else here. Your post indicated you think the currently leadership is going to scrap the Pro altogether rather than potentially delay it a bit. It's not getting scrapped, but it's always within the realm of possibility it could launch early 2025. Right now it seems to be following the same time table as the PS4 Pro did with Sony sending out devkits and briefing devs at GDC. That's why I'm fine with sticking to the prediction that it'll release this year until we get more evidence to the contrary.

Tom Henderson has not said it is not releasing this year, he just has some reason to doubt it, apparently.

You need the incentives to buy the pro. Right now, that doesnt exist, as they dont have a heavy hitter line up this year.
You also have to account the economy situation. No big game for an upgrade console? The ps5 is working great and most games still on old gen.

We arent living ps4 pro timeline. This is uncharted territory for gaming companies.

A Showcase with all games running on the Pro + a trailer showing GTA6 running on the Pro would certainly go a long way towards incentivizing folks.

I would be surprised if they didn't ship it this Fall since dev kits have been out for a while, and it seems the aim was to make the PSSR implementation as smooth as possible. Unless there are yield issues (and the 5nm/4nm has been mature for a while), or if they want to make serious changes to PSSR, I don't see a reason for a delay. There will be enough games receiving patches to make it worthwhile.

yurinka

The guy in charge of their hardware with Jim Ryan was the same guy they have in charge of the hardware now. The co-CEO of SIE Nishino.

They won't change their plans a few months from release, that would be nonsensical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom