• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

vivftp

About that, the difference isnt that much. It wont have the same feelings as ps4 pro.
Speak for yourself in this case. I already know what sort of boost in experience the PS4 Pro gave me over my base PS4, so I've been anticipating the PS5 Pro since the day I turned on my launch-day PS5.

A precedent has been set and folks know that the Pro model = everything the base model offers, dialed up to 11. PSSR has a lot of potential and improved RT could make a large difference in graphical fidelity over what the base PS5 can do. Not to mention the added benefits to PSVR2 games where we'll likely be able to get games running at higher resolutions with better graphics.

Add to that the PS5 Pro being the definitive best way to experience GTA6 at launch, and it should be a very popular device. That's not even going into the massive array of games SIE has coming for the second half of the gen.

feynoob

Banned
Speak for yourself in this case. I already know what sort of boost in experience the PS4 Pro gave me over my base PS4, so I've been anticipating the PS5 Pro since the day I turned on my launch-day PS5.

A precedent has been set and folks know that the Pro model = everything the base model offers, dialed up to 11. PSSR has a lot of potential and improved RT could make a large difference in graphical fidelity over what the base PS5 can do. Not to mention the added benefits to PSVR2 games where we'll likely be able to get games running at higher resolutions with better graphics.

Add to that the PS5 Pro being the definitive best way to experience GTA6 at launch, and it should be a very popular device. That's not even going into the massive array of games SIE has coming for the second half of the gen.
The issue is devs wont utilize the console. Currently, we have old gen and new gen. The new gen console have yet to be utilized, because of that.
The ps5pro wont change that much.

vivftp

The issue is devs wont utilize the console. Currently, we have old gen and new gen. The new gen console have yet to be utilized, because of that.

You have no way of knowing this with any degree of certainty. I'd suggest waiting to see what this thing is actually capable of and some games running on it before drawing any such conclusions.

Imtjnotu

Disappointed by the PS5 Pro cancellation, but hey at least that'll be $600+ more in my pocket . 😉
Boombox Shut Up GIF

feynoob

Banned
You have no way of knowing this with any degree of certainty. I'd suggest waiting to see what this thing is actually capable of and some games running on it before drawing any such conclusions.
That should be directed to the current ps5. We havent seen what the system is capable, because most of the games have been running on the old gen.

vivftp

That should be directed to the current ps5. We havent seen what the system is capable, because most of the games have been running on the old gen.

That's the way it happens with every gen. No system is ever pushed to its limits until the second half of the gen when devs are more comfortable developing for it and their engines are updated to better take advantage of the systems. Look at the PS3. Look at the PS4. It'll be the same with the PS5.

This is the same old story, gen after gen. Late gen base PS5 games will surpass early gen base PS5 games. The PS5 Pro games will surpass all of those.

vivftp

I'm not talking about games that started up last year. There are a TON of games that've been in development for 4-6 years now that'll drop in the second half of the gen.

demigod

That would be bad for them, because there isnt a big game that can utilize it.
Next year would be good with whatever big game they are cooking.
What games can utilize a 5090 that you need over a 4090?

Sales are slowing down due to the economy and people not having a spare $500 to spend on a console. A $600 ask is a non-starter right now.
You think consumers don’t have $600 to blow? Then why are people in here waiting to buy one? Why are people waiting to blow $2000 on a 5090?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If some of those change, then the console will not come out anytime soon.
Well, if we were to think next year, I doubt it would be spring… now we are going against the next Xbox / Xbox PC or something. Worse than that, you are going waaay to close to PS6. At which point, do you can it and invest in PS6?

Bit of a shame at this point, you would want to see how some of the bets they want to prototype with PS5 Pro land and get used before they decide what to and how to evolve them for PS6… well, we will see :).

Tom Henderson has previously stated in his reports that the Pro was planned for a November 2024 release. If it not releases this year, then that means its been delayed, regardless of whether the console itself has been officially announced or not. For instance, the Switch "2" was delayed out of 2024 earlier this year, when multiple reports by credible websites spoke of how Nintendo couldn't make its 2024 target.

And I'm not attacking his credibility, I've already said that his sources are good, but the scepticism he's expressing in that tweet is not based on any inside information, but rather on his poor analysis of the situation based on his nervousness about how scarce Pro leaks have been since March. If any of his scepticism was cemented on information from his sources, I guarantee you that he would've made several articles about it already.

Tom's sources are what's good, and you hear about what they have to say in his articles. What I'm saying is that outside of those reports based on inside information, Tom Henderson isn't capable of any insightful analysis of the industry.

I just double down and insist in that it'd be beyond shocking to learn that the Pro has been pushed to 2025. It's launch isn't hanging on any particularly huge game (Sony's next major release, DS2, won't be out before April 2025), yet the exclusive software that would accompany it's debut would feel worthless if the new hardware wasn't out yet.

Not sure what you're saying here. I don't think Tom saying it might not come out this year is analysis rather than what he heard from a source. His sources which you attest are good...

No one knows but sony. Let's see what happens over tge next couple of months.

I had heard a rumour that due to the drop in hardware sales that there is quite a lot of inventory of console stuffing up the channels.

Maybe sony wants to clear through as much of that before they announce something? Who knows.

I'm not sure this would be true. They cut back big time on inventory in the beginning of the year.

That being said, they planned on 18 million units for the year and I feel like they're a far cry from that. That 18 million must have included the planned release of the PS5 Pro with some calculation based on how many Pros sold in the first 6 months with the PS4, and maybe adjusted down for price. At least that is how I would have done it.

18 million units would have been down 13.5% this year. PS5 is significantly further down than that. If the PS5 Pro is going to be delayed, we should know that within the next 3 weeks, because Sony will revise their 18 million estimate in their Q1 earnings announcement which is Thursday the 8th at 3am eastern.

I'm sure the PS5 is between 30-40 percent down YOY worldwide. So on pace for 12.48 to 14.56 million, that's a significant miss, with nothing else to course correct other than a price drop that they won't want to do. With nothing to drive it during CY Q4... I wouldn't be surprised if they fall well short of 12 million.

Delaying the Pro would almost certainly result in a shock to the stock price.

But then again, it's entirely possible that their software and/or hardware just isn't ready for prime time. Unlike the PS4 Pro, so much here depends on the maturity of PSSR.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I tried to tell everyone.

About a month ago SEI sent out a survey to people on the PSN mailing list. The survey specifically had a couple of questions relating to buying the "latest and greatest" hardware.

This was AFTER the new CEOs took over.

It could be that Jimbo wanted the Pro out but the new people in charge aren't so sure about releasing an expensive upgrade right now.

It’s coming regardless. The margins in these pro machines are awesome and there is a market for it. However, pushing it to 2025 makes more strategic sense.

Surveys are just that, a small snapshot to help gather data, possibly on how many sales they can expect and relay to investors.

Mr.Phoenix

Yea, pretty much. Gaming-oriented products are pocket change.
That is actually not true...

to a chip maker, they don't care if you are making a games console or a AI farm... what they do is sell you wafers. And if you are buying a 5nm wafer, whether you wanna put your chips in a toaster or in a spaceship... you are spending the same amount of money per wafer. And on another note, who do you think spend more money on wafers? A company placing in an order for 10K NPUs to build a farm, or a company placing an order for 20M chips per year?

Perrott

Not sure what you're saying here. I don't think Tom saying it might not come out this year is analysis rather than what he heard from a source. His sources which you attest are good...
What I'm arguing is that, given the very SEO-driven (if not purely clickbaity) nature of the various websites Tom Henderson runs, if he had actually heard from sources about the Pro slipping out of 2024 being a real possibility, he would've gone and written an actual article about it, rather than relaying such hypothetical information through Twitter.

That tweet just doesn't align with his MO, which is to deliver exclusives for his websites whenever possible, hence why it does read more like poorly educated speculation (again, the man was a COD youtuber until some years ago, don't expect any profound analysis to come out from him) derived from PS5 Pro leaks cooling down over the past few months rather than an opinion based around inside information from his otherwise incredibly reliable sources.

Also, in the last few pages no one has been able to come up with any valid, business-sensitive reason as to why Sony would even consider delaying the Pro, so I can't see the idea of a delay as anything other than a ridiculous conceit.

Last edited:
What I'm arguing is that, given the very SEO-driven (if not purely clickbaity) nature of the various websites Tom Henderson runs, if he had actually heard from sources about the Pro slipping out of 2024 being a real possibility, he would've gone and written an actual article about it, rather than relaying such hypothetical information through Twitter.

That tweet just doesn't align with his MO, which is to deliver exclusives for his websites whenever possible, hence why it does read more like poorly educated speculation (again, the man was a COD youtuber until some years ago, don't expect any profound analysis to come out from him) derived from PS5 Pro leaks cooling down over the past few months rather than an opinion based around inside information from his otherwise incredibly reliable sources.

Also, in the last few pages no one has been able to come up with any valid, business-sensitive reason as to why Sony would even consider delaying the Pro, so I can't see the idea of a delay as anything other than a ridiculous conceit.

I think his inability to verify, i.e. get a second separate source, is why he wouldn't write an article that could end up being wrong.

He's heard something, he replied to a comment... I think you're making more of it this than it is.

There are a multitude of reasons why they'd delay it. Games aren't ready, PSSR isn't ready, hardware itself isn't ready.

skit_data

Gold Member
I can't see them scrapping a Pro completely at this point. It's possible they're delaying the release to early next year or something, if there is a delay at all.
Some people here seems to celebrate the idea of a canned Pro a bit early (for some unimaginable reason).

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I Think the pro, this gen was going to sell around 15 to 25 million units tops.

It's not a huge seller but it's an awsome option for hardware freaks like me.

I loved my Pro once I'd sold the jet engine one with the kettle plug and upgraded to my gorgeous death stranding pro! Now that was a Ltd edition console.

How many games have we had so far after almost 4 years that fully used PS5 HW? Id say only Ratchet and Clank. Returnal looks nothing special, simple geometry and enemy designs. They haven't yet even tapped into what the OG PS5 can do when they keep making cross-gen games. That's why the PS5 Pro is pointless.... what's it gonna bring...better RTX? That isn't a selling point for me. PS4 Pro introduced 4k or at least some imitation of it so it was visible. They not going to put in 8K which is pointless btw and even if they did, how many people have 8K TVs? 5% at best. Hence, the PS5 Pro is vaporware.

vivftp

How many games have we had so far after almost 4 years that fully used PS5 HW? Id say only Ratchet and Clank. Returnal looks nothing special, simple geometry and enemy designs. They haven't yet even tapped into what the OG PS5 can do when they keep making cross-gen games. That's why the PS5 Pro is pointless.... what's it gonna bring...better RTX? That isn't a selling point for me. PS4 Pro introduced 4k or at least some imitation of it so it was visible. They not going to put in 8K which is pointless btw and even if they did, how many people have 8K TVs? 5% at best. Hence, the PS5 Pro is vaporware.

- cross gen for Sony has been over for about 1.5 years now. The only exceptions are live service games like MLB and Destiny 2. It would have been over at the end of 2021 if not for pandemic delays

- it happens every gen, games that fully test the system come in the second half of the gen. That's when devs have had time to learn it's ins and outs and update their engines to fully utilize the console. Look at the PS3. Look at the PS4. The second half of the gen is when the consoles were pushed to their limits

- what could we potentially look forward to with the Pro?

• not having to choose between fidelity and performance modes, we can get the best of both worlds
• higher res and better graphics on PSVR2
• Improved ray tracing on games. For example we could get RT in the actual races on GT7. Maybe even in the VR mode
• more stable frame rates for those games hitting 60 and 120 fps at higher graphical settings

You will have to figure out for yourself whether the Pro is for you or not and it's up to Sony to sell it to you. Calling it vaporware though? Either you don't know what that means or you're just playing ignorant. That Pro is real and is coming. That's not in question anymore. You don't send devkits and hold GDC presentations to devs for vaporware

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Sales are slowing down due to the economy and people not having a spare $500 to spend on a console. A $600 ask is a non-starter right now.
Strongly disagree here, 600$ in 2024 is actually very reasonable price, 1994's 300$(playstation price, was literal mic drop) is worth 631$ coz of inflation so its definitely in the realm of even casual gamer as long as specs are solid/hype for the mashine is there.

Felessan

Banned
Better rtx, better fps, better internal resolution and better upscaling tech
We already have games that sacrifice either resolution or fps or both to deliver picture
FF16 don't even have 4k resolution at 30 fps and drops up to 720p at 60 fps - it's clearly that some more power would helps in these situation

• not having to choose between fidelity and performance modes, we can get the best of both worlds
Doubtful
More like we will have a proper fidelity and performance modes
High performance games already struggle, sometimes not even reaching 2K@30fps (Hellblade), and we will see more of these games going forward

PaintTinJr

- cross gen for Sony has been over for about 1.5 years now. The only exceptions are live service games like MLB and Destiny 2. It would have been over at the end of 2021 if not for pandemic delays

- it happens every gen, games that fully test the system come in the second half of the gen. That's when devs have had time to learn it's ins and outs and update their engines to fully utilize the console. Look at the PS3. Look at the PS4. The second half of the gen is when the consoles were pushed to their limits

• Improved ray tracing on games. For example we could get RT in the actual races on GT7. Maybe even in the VR mode
• more stable frame rates for those games hitting 60 and 120 fps at higher graphical settings

You will have to figure out for yourself whether the Pro is for you or not and it's up to Sony to sell it to you. Calling it vaporware though? Either you don't know what that means or you're just playing ignorant. That Pro is real and is coming. That's not in question anymore. You don't send devkits and hold GDC presentations to devs for vaporware
The thing is....everything is without precedence until a precedence is set - like mid-gen consoles last gen.

It is possible that the full impact picture of the PS4 Pro has only just started to emerge in data models, possibly showing a damaging trend for a PS6 in 2029, or with the quality and gains of PSSR, along with maybe the ability to implement it on a co-processor they are maybe considering just revising the Slim with an NPU to provide PSSR and doing a price cut for the original slim.

Unlike if the Pro was a new gen console, cancelling a mid-gen refresh that was to inform about PS6 trends and retain consumers, all the R&D is still beneficial for PS6 hardware release and for developers for launch PS6 games IMO.

I could easily see the Pro being cancelled now against the backdrop of the world today and manufacturing limits consoles are pushing up against - even without a Pro eating half that wow uplift.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

I'm not sure this would be true. They cut back big time on inventory in the beginning of the year.

That being said, they planned on 18 million units for the year and I feel like they're a far cry from that. That 18 million must have included the planned release of the PS5 Pro with some calculation based on how many Pros sold in the first 6 months with the PS4, and maybe adjusted down for price. At least that is how I would have done it.

18 million units would have been down 13.5% this year. PS5 is significantly further down than that. If the PS5 Pro is going to be delayed, we should know that within the next 3 weeks, because Sony will revise their 18 million estimate in their Q1 earnings announcement which is Thursday the 8th at 3am eastern.

I'm sure the PS5 is between 30-40 percent down YOY worldwide. So on pace for 12.48 to 14.56 million, that's a significant miss, with nothing else to course correct other than a price drop that they won't want to do. With nothing to drive it during CY Q4... I wouldn't be surprised if they fall well short of 12 million.

Delaying the Pro would almost certainly result in a shock to the stock price.

But then again, it's entirely possible that their software and/or hardware just isn't ready for prime time. Unlike the PS4 Pro, so much here depends on the maturity of PSSR.

I think you are bang on the money here. I had heard that they stuffed the channels with stock and the sales drop due to the current economic situation had slowed sales, but I think you are on the money here. Let's see what happens on that earnings call.
Even on the PS4 Pro, games like GOW and Spiderman made my and everyone else consoles squeal with fan noise.
I may have been lucky as my Death Stranding pro was whisper quiet...or at least I seem to think it was in comparison to my launch pro. My launch pro was so loud everyone in my house used to ask me what was wrong with it and why was it making so much noise. lol. Those were the days. I won't miss that.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That is actually not true...

to a chip maker, they don't care if you are making a games console or a AI farm... what they do is sell you wafers. And if you are buying a 5nm wafer, whether you wanna put your chips in a toaster or in a spaceship... you are spending the same amount of money per wafer. And on another note, who do you think spend more money on wafers? A company placing in an order for 10K NPUs to build a farm, or a company placing an order for 20M chips per year?
It is true. NVIDIA will prioritize wafers for their AI products, not their consumer graphics cards. Then you also have the pressure of phone manufacturers such as Apple who can lock down entire production lines with their demands.

Simply look at how much money NVIDIA is making with their cards meant for business and AI and gaming is a drop in the bucket. The one semiconductor company that highly values the money from gaming is AMD.

What the foundries produce is irrelevant. What matters is where these wafers end up.

Last edited:

vivftp

The thing is....everything is without precedence until a precedence is set - like mid-gen consoles last gen.

It is possible that the full impact picture of the PS4 Pro has only just started to emerge in data models, possibly showing a damaging trend for a PS6 in 2029, or with the quality and gains of PSSR, along with maybe the ability to implement it on a co-processor they are maybe considering just revising the Slim with an NPU to provide PSSR and doing a price cut for the original slim.

Unlike if the Pro was a new gen console, cancelling a mid-gen refresh that was to inform about PS6 trends and retain consumers, all the R&D is still beneficial for PS6 hardware release and for developers for launch PS6 games IMO.

I could easily see the Pro being cancelled now against the backdrop of the world today and manufacturing limits consoles are pushing up against - even without a Pro eating half that wow uplift.

No 😃

PeteBull

Gold Member
Devs utilise base ps5 plenty, and many of them did it even at launch, simple proof is look at how demons souls remaster looks

It looks more graphically impressive from elden ring with its dlc even and it runs 4k30 or 1440p60, stable while elden ring drops in heavy areas/situations below 40fps even in perf mode :)

Last edited:
Devs utilise base ps5 plenty, and many of them did it even at launch, simple proof is look at how demons souls remaster looks

It looks more graphically impressive from elden ring with its dlc even and it runs 4k30 or 1440p60, stable while elden ring drops in heavy areas/situations below 40fps even in perf mode :)

Thats the thing, they dont do it plenty. What else, DS Remake, Ratchet n Clank....what else? There is so much more juice left in the OG PS5.

Tqaulity

Thats the thing, they dont do it plenty. What else, DS Remake, Ratchet n Clank....what else? There is so much more juice left in the OG PS5.
Both of these can be true. There is a ton of juice left in the PS5 but there are 2 aspects to a gaming system to consider when talking the need for a "Pro":
  1. The artistic "canvas" that the platform provides for developers. This is essentially what the system can enable artists and designers to do. In this respect, there is a ton of unexplored potential in the PS5. How can you expand on existing genres from a gameplay and design perspective and how can you create new gameplay experiences. For artists, what kind of assets can you create using new tools for meshes, textures, materials, lighting etc. This isn't really a HW issue. This is more on the humans making the content and development tools. Case in point, Nintendo has consistently found new and innovative ways to expand on their existing gameplay experiences with each new generation on "low end" HW (e.g. Zelda BOTW). To this point, there isn't a need for new HW to get fresh gaming experiences that we wouldn't have seen on earlier generations and PS5 still can provide a lot for developers to utilize (this is where Sony's first party shines and hopefully we'll start seeing their output in the next year or two).
  2. The technical performance capabilities of the system. Yes you can come up with the best gaming design and vision you want, but the system needs to run it to a certain spec. This area is one that is never ending for any gaming hardware (including PC). The bottom line is that while the PS5 runs games extremely well for the most part across the board (better than nearly any previous PS generation as I've pointed out multiple times), it's not maxing out the performance envelope for what is possible today. In fact, it never will and the PRO won't either (a 4090 won't either BTW). Every game CAN'T run optimally at native 4K/120 no matter what HW spec you have. There is a software component to that and the software is limited again by the human beings and development resources available. So is there room to push PS5 games further in terms of just raw acceleration of performance? Absolutely, particularly in the areas that the PRO is focusing on: IQ and Ray Tracing. This is the age old model that the PC has been using for 40 years now. Pop in a new GPU to get more pixels and faster framerates given the same workload. Yes, some enthusiast folks really care about the sort of thing :messenger_unamused:
Here is the thing: the audience matters. Most console players are not tech enthusiasts and don't care about pixel and frametime analysis on their games. They don't know or care about ray tracing either and if you told them that they shouldn't like FFXVI because it only runs at 30fps in it's fidelity mode and the 60fps mode drops resolution too low, they'll look at you like you're stupid (trust me I've seen it). However, they can appreciate item#1 above and if they don't like FFXVI it's going to be for some of the design and gameplay choices and not the internal resolution before upscaling :messenger_astonished:. For the record, most PC gamers don't care about that either. The enthusiastc tech crowd (rampant in this forum) are a small minority of the gaming population. To tens of millions of PS5 users, the power and performance of the base PS5 is more than adequate today.

So it's about keeping perspective. The PS5 Pro is beneficial to a subset of the PS5 gamer base that want the best performance possible out of the creative visions realized by devs but it's absolutely not "necessary"! How do I know? Just look at the list of the most played games on any platform (console or PC) and tell me how many are pushing a base PS5 level of HW to it's limits? Guaranteed that list doesn't include Hellblade II, Avatatar FOP, Dragon's Dogma II, Alan Wake 2, or Cyberpunk w/Path Tracing. I have never heard of anyone saying they needed to upgrade their HW to play Roblox, Fortnite, LOL, CS2, GTAV, COD Warzone, or DOTA. In fact, have you seen the top 10 most played games on PS5 for June 2024 (what year is it BTW)? Raise your hand if you think any of those are pushing the PS5 to it's limits?

SPBgxNE.png

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
U cant expect every dev team/game to squeeze 100% out of base ps5, thats for first party studios, it was always like that+ few rare exceptions, if most AAA dev studios can squeeze out 80-90% of hardware its big success already.

Xtib81

There is so much more juice left in the OG PS5.
This is just false. Every major AAA game is struggling with framerate and resolution. Not even talking about ray tracing. The reality is that, yet again, consoles are underpowered and they will remain so as long as manufacturers stick to the 500€ price tag.

This is just false. Every major AAA game is struggling with framerate and resolution. Not even talking about ray tracing. The reality is that, yet again, consoles are underpowered and they will remain so as long as manufacturers stick to the 500€ price tag.

It's not really false. There's a huge upside in asset quality and other presentation elements, as we are starting to see with real next-gen game. Take a look at DS2 trailer vs. DS1.

Xtib81

It's not really false. There's a huge upside in asset quality and other presentation elements, as we are starting to see with real next-gen game. Take a look at DS2 trailer vs. DS1.
I'd certainly hope that games would look better in 2025 than they did in 2019 ^^. By the way, from what we've seen, DS2 doesn't look mile ahead of DS1. The prettier those games, the shittier framerate and resolution will be.

Developers can submit their applications supporting the PlayStation 5 Pro to CertOps (Platform Certification & Operations) on July 30th, a date understood to have been finalized as far back as 18 months ago. In addition, all applications for the PlayStation 5 on games that will be released after September 15th will be required to support the PlayStation 5 Pro (this does not mean the PS5 Pro will release on September 16). So, although not an exact release date, the information, which was released by PlayStation earlier this week to developers, suggests that the PlayStation 5 Pro is still on track to be released later this year.

Documents sent to me in mid-2023 showed the PlayStation 5 Pro release date, which, if memory serves me correctly, was in the latter half of November 2024.

Despite the Pro seemingly being on track, several sources have been apprehensive about the console’s release later this year, primarily due to the limited number of first-party games that will use its features. However, regarding documentation (90-95% of my reporting involves documentation sources), nothing implies that the PS5 Pro has been delayed or canceled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom