• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Little Mac

Gold Member
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I told you all that the very idea of a delay was stupid and purely based on a poor analysis of the situation on Tom's part.
He mentioned that a lack of launch titles with the Pro was part of his reasoning. Although this isn't entirely accurate as I'm sure we'll be getting day 1 patches for AC Shadows and COD, and also the alleged Horizon Remake.

Perrott

He mentioned that a lack of launch titles with the Pro was part of his reasoning. Although this isn't entirely accurate as I'm sure we'll be getting day 1 patches for AC Shadows and COD, and also the alleged Horizon Remake.
A deeply flawed and ignorant reasoning. As I was saying in another thread, the PS4 Pro didn't have any original, tentpole first-party releases at launch in early November 2016. It took nearly four months for any visually striking first-party exclusive with mass market appeal, Horizon: Zero Dawn, to come out.

Yet it didn't seem to matter: the Pro performed well above Sony's expectations at launch and throughout the lifecycle, finishing the generation with around ~15M units sold, roughly 3 in 10 PS4's sold since November 2016.

Again, Tom Henderson does have solid sources and access to internal documentation, yes, but outside of reporting on cold facts, his level of analysis and overall understanding of the games business and it's history isn't really above that of an average Reddit or Twitter poster.

As proven by this whole "PS5 Pro delay" debacle.

Last edited:

nial

As I was saying in another thread, the PS4 Pro didn't have any original, tentpole first-party releases at launch in early November 2016. It took nearly four months for any visually striking first-party exclusive with mass market appeal, Horizon: Zero Dawn, to come out.
The idea that PS5 Pro would get delayed out of the holiday season just so it can launch alongside a first-party heavy hitter is ridiculous. More so, I'm betting that SIE's winter/spring 2025 lineup will mostly consist of smaller games not meant to be graphical showcases, with short announcement to release time frames.

Spider-Man 2.

Spiderman 2 is just Spiderman 1 in 4K. I mean I don't need to even discuss it any further as there were plenty of topics of people being underwhelmed with the graphical upgrade after 5 years, especially with Miles Morales on PS5. In the end, we got more of the same, definitely not squeezing any extra power from the PS5, they just took the safe path like Horizon 2 and GoW 2.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Spiderman 2 is just Spiderman 1 in 4K. I mean I don't need to even discuss it any further as there were plenty of topics of people being underwhelmed with the graphical upgrade after 5 years, especially with Miles Morales on PS5. In the end, we got more of the same, definitely not squeezing any extra power from the PS5, they just took the safe path like Horizon 2 and GoW 2.
I was also underwhelmed by the visuals, but we can’t sit here and pretend that Demon’s Souls Remake takes advantage of the PS5 while Spider-Man 2 does not.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Categorically false.

A deeply flawed and ignorant reasoning. As I was saying in another thread, the PS4 Pro didn't have any original, tentpole first-party releases at launch in early November 2016. It took nearly four months for any visually striking first-party exclusive with mass market appeal, Horizon: Zero Dawn, to come out.

Yet it didn't seem to matter: the Pro performed well above Sony's expectations at launch and throughout the lifecycle, finishing the generation with around ~15M units sold, roughly 3 in 10 PS4's sold since November 2016.

Again, Tom Henderson does have solid sources and access to internal documentation, yes, but outside of reporting on cold facts, his level of analysis and overall understanding of the games business and it's history isn't really above that of an average Reddit or Twitter poster.

As proven by this whole "PS5 Pro delay" debacle.

What he said specifically was software not launch titles.

It could be very possible that they don't have enough games patched via 1st and 3rd party making use of Pro features, which would be a massive disappointment if true.

The following games need to be available to play via Ps5 Pro on day 1:

1st party
Spider-Man 2
Horizon Forbidden West
TLOU P1
TLOU P2 Remastered
God of War Ragnarok
GT7
Returnal
ratchet and clank rift apart
Stellar Blade
Rise of the Ronin

3rd party
Cyberpunk 2077
Final Fantasy 16
FF7 Rebirth
Elden Ring
Hogwarts Legacy
Genshin Impact
Resident Evil 4

Honorable mentions
Demon's Souls
Spider-Man Remastered
Miles Morales
FF7 Remake
Helldivers 2
Ghost of Tsushima
GTAV
Resident Evil Village
Baldurs Gate 3
Street Fighter
Mortal Kombat
Tekken
Uncharted Legacy of Thieves

Ultimately, it will be interesting to see which games get helped by the PS5 Pro either natively or by update. A lot of games out there already have higher end assets from the PC versions, shouldn't be that hard to bring these to PS5 Pro, but I imagine testing could take a lot of time.

Any company who doesn't put these games on PS5 Pro are simply sleeping on sales. It's like a relaunch of a title in some cases. Like Demon's Souls could do VERY well on PS5 Pro.

PeteBull

Gold Member
I had a PS4PRO and developers didn't care.
Thats why its in future pr0 owners interest that it sells well, especially first year, coz after that once gta6 launches(hopefully we get gta6+ pr0 bundle;p) there wont be any sales problems anymore :p
If pr0 sells 10-15m on its first year and doubles it on its 2nd(gta6 launch) year then it cant be ignored by dev studios anymore :)

I had a PS4PRO and developers didn't care.

Not sure what you're talking about. I had a PS4 Pro and I loved the thing. Nearly every game I wanted to play on it, played better than it would have on PS4 especially late in the generation. I also replayed some games that got enhancements too. The machine was much quieter as well.

Couldn't imagine playing God of War, Spider-Man, TLOU2, and FF7 Remake on a base PS4.

Wasn’t a lot of people doubting the original trailer, and saying the graphics wouldn’t be that good?

I don’t think Horizon disappointed graphically.

I think Horizon 2 looks beautiful as well but those finer details in the face, you can only pick it up on in cutscenes and photo mode. But overall the whole package looked just like H1 but in 4K. I think what people doubted were the facial animations that were in engine but again, we see Aloy 95% of the time from the back. Plus its a cross-gen title. What if it wasn't, we would of seen a bigger jump probably.

Kerotan

Surely star wars outlaw's will have a Pro patch. It would give it a nice boost heading into the holiday season.

Death stranding 2 is the game I really want Pro support.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Anyone hear anything from Sean Murray about the World's Pt 1 patch and PS5 Pro? I'm curious if 2 will be pro enhanced or 1 will also have enhancements by EoY

Surely star wars outlaw's will have a Pro patch. It would give it a nice boost heading into the holiday season.

Death stranding 2 is the game I really want Pro support.
I could see Death Stranding 2 with RT (like supposed) running at 30fps on PS5 and 60fps on Pro. We know this is exactly the kind of scenario where game framerate could get doubled, when RT is involved.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Thats why its in future pr0 owners interest that it sells well, especially first year, coz after that once gta6 launches(hopefully we get gta6+ pr0 bundle;p) there wont be any sales problems anymore :p
If pr0 sells 10-15m on its first year and doubles it on its 2nd(gta6 launch) year then it cant be ignored by dev studios anymore :)

If the $600+ speculation is true, it's not going to sell well. It's going to be hard enough to market it in the first place as they don't have the easy 4K messaging the PS4Pro afforded them.

Audiophile

Tbf, the PS5 is roughly matching the PS4 at a 50-66% higher price point and the initial Pro buyers will probably be less price-sensitive than base/slim unit buyers. If base PS5 buyers are accepting this is now a semi-premium space rather than a budget space, I think the Pro buyers will too.

As for marketing, "Ray Tracing", "AI" & "better graphics" will likely carry as much if not more weight among much of the target audience relative to the "4K" moniker on PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

Ashamam

Saw this linked elsewhere.

I don't think its much help in terms of divining performance, but does give yet another data point to the existence and imminence of the Pro. The increased lower bound resolution tells you very little. It could literally be a dev in the middle of multiple config edits for some basic benchmarking and one got snapshotted through version control for other platforms.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I don't think its much help in terms of divining performance, but does give yet another data point to the existence and imminence of the Pro. The increased lower bound resolution tells you very little. It could literally be a dev in the middle of multiple config edits for some basic benchmarking and one got snapshotted through version control for other platforms.

I don't think this highlevel graphics enumeration list tells us anything other than how a third party PC developer is doing the bare minimum with wrappered capabilities, because the NvidiaReflexLowLatencyEnum has nothing to do with low level library sdk capabilities of PlayStation or Xbox when both consoles contain AMD hardware and don't use that nvidia extension for low latency and certainly wouldn't put it in their console graphics driver even if its possibly wrappered in their highlevel sdk calls for easy DirectX development on custom Opengl ES specced hardware.

Once again it looks like the well intended efforts of Cerny to reduce the PlayStation time to triangle for developers has backfired and just resulted in devs taking that help and committing even less time or concern to console development, unlike the past gens where their commitment to more costly time to triangle meant they felt the pressure to produce even better compelling games that would land well on console more consistently because their financial reality would put them in trouble if relying on PC sales to offset poor reception on console.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I got a PS4 Pro at launch and the patches for games like Infamous Second Son were good enough for me, I was very happy with it. But I am not sure you will get the same juice from a PS5 Pro and patches.

Still I think it will come out this year. Or be cancelled. But likely will come out this year. Sony will announce it in September for a November release.

saintjules

Gold Member

Agree. It just highlights the codename 'Trinity' that we've been hearing about and the Pro's existence. People questioning whether a Pro should exist or not would be irrelevant here.

Last edited:

Perrott

I got a PS4 Pro at launch and the patches for games like Infamous Second Son were good enough for me, I was very happy with it. But I am not sure you will get the same juice from a PS5 Pro and patches.
PS5 Pro will bring much greater benefits in those patches than what the PS4 Pro was capable. Take Final Fantasy XVI (GPU-limited title) for instance:

PlayStation 5
  • Fidelity Mode: 1080p to 1440p DRS range with FSR2 upscaling at 30fps.
  • Performance Mode: 720p to 1080p DRS range with FRS2 upscaling at usually 60fps (and bottom resolution) during in combat and a highly unstable framerate (while higher resolution) during exploration.
PlayStation 5 Pro
  • Fidelity Mode: 1440p to 1800p DRS range with PSSR at 30fps. Pristine image quality.
  • Performance Mode: 1080p to 1440p DRS range with PSSR at 60fps. Good image quality and rock-solid performance.
I'd find that a way more impressive scenario than inFAMOUS Second Son going from 1080p 30fps to checkerboard 1800p 30fps.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
How many games have we had so far after almost 4 years that fully used PS5 HW? Id say only Ratchet and Clank. Returnal looks nothing special, simple geometry and enemy designs. They haven't yet even tapped into what the OG PS5 can do when they keep making cross-gen games. That's why the PS5 Pro is pointless.... what's it gonna bring...better RTX? That isn't a selling point for me. PS4 Pro introduced 4k or at least some imitation of it so it was visible. They not going to put in 8K which is pointless btw and even if they did, how many people have 8K TVs? 5% at best. Hence, the PS5 Pro is vaporware.
TIL there's a new definition for vaporware.

Et3rn1ty

Neo Member
Its on track, COD BO6 SHOULD have a Pro patch day one (Dont know if its day one COD launch or Pro launch though) ;)
Any E.T.A when you will be able to share with us some information that you know?
When ,with your estimation,can you talk more open?
In 1 ,2,3 weeks etc...

I never understood why people like to argue that a product shouldn't exist just because they don't want it themselves. How about we just let this thing come out, and people who want it can buy it, and people who don't want it, don't have to buy it?
I think some people just do not like the idea of playing on an inferior hardware (standard PS5 console), and maybe they cannot afford to buy a new PRO PS5 console. I'm telling you, if you gave them a free PS5 pro, they'd happily take it and thank you :).

Any E.T.A when you will be able to share with us some information that you know?
When ,with your estimation,can you talk more open?
In 1 ,2,3 weeks etc...
Sadly having signed an NDA on what I have seen and not having been able to take a picture because I had to hand over my phone I wont be able to break any kind of new stuff without breaking trust I have built with some (one of the downfalls of using the same name on social media and my secondary gaming accounts, I cant hide)

Plus after the fact I hate saying "yup thats what I saw" as anyone can claim that

Kings Field

I’d rather it come out earlier than later if they’re gonna keep the hardware the same. Throw in some patches for some games and I’ll be good for a bit.

Top Bottom