• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Tqaulity

IIRC, base PS5 is comfortably in the high 80s in performance mode at locked 1440p native. The performance setting looks extremely unambitious for Pro, even if running native 4k
True but remember this is a cross gen PS4 title that is already super well optimized on the PS5. With 120hz HFR mode, the game is running at 1800-2160p native at 40-60fps on the base. There isn't a ton of room to improve there to be honest but the Pro should take that up to a full native 2160/60fps easily. With PSSR, they may even be able to push a HFR mode with 120fps since the perf mode already approaches 100fps on the base. We shall see.

With its low resolution and bad fsr in a lot of games? No.

If the Pro is on the market, why would someone like me choose the regular PS5 over it?
It depends the games you play, really. I think the UE4 games still look great at 60fps on PS5. Stuff like Stellar Blade or Kena. Most games using their own engines (or optimized on PS4 / PS4 Pro at 30fps) without FSR look great on PS5 at 60fps. But yes FSR single handedly ruined PS5 gaming.

Bry0

When you think about it, consoles are insanely cheap devices. Especially looking at the fact that device can last for 3+ years.
I spend a console worth of money just buying random upgrades for my PC setup and peripherals and things I don’t really need. In comparison console hardware is super cheap if you don’t factor in online service subscriptions. (Hell even if you do, I’m over here with 3 wireless mice and a stack of headphones and keyboards so…)

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It depends the games you play, really. I think the UE4 games still look great at 60fps on PS5. Stuff like Stellar Blade or Kena. Most games using their own engines (or optimized on PS4 / PS4 Pro at 30fps) without FSR look great on PS5 at 60fps. But yes FSR single handedly ruined PS5 gaming.
That's why I said lots of games. Sony exclusives are perfectly acceptable, often being above 1080p and even at times 1440p and beyond in Performance Mode. The problem is some 3rd-party games with shitty FSR and a 720p base resolution.

ABnormal

I wonder how much REngine could benefit from the Pro..
Being usually already at 60 fps as base like in Village, in those cases thay might improve resolution and the rendering/lighting detail. Which would be great.

But didn't Capcom anounce that from now on they would use their new engine? Do I remember wrongly?

The bolded part... "likely overpriced"....

Explain that, please.

This is me trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

I was replying to a post that said the Pro would have "graphical upgrades" over the Amateur and coming from the angle that someone who would post on this thread would generally already own a PS5 anyway (please, no "I don't own one!" replies, I acknowledge you and you're very special!). At that point, getting a second hardware to play your critical darling game with slightly better lightning and crispier reflections off puddles feels like a losing proposition, no?

Mobilemofo

$599 could very well be in play here and that is totally a guess.

When the first talk of the Pro was making its rounds over a year ago it was going to be higher than that and likely why Sony didn't push it last year
I think that will be the price. Sony said say they won't be taking a loss on the hardware in future, and given the potential specs, I'd say it's spot on.

vivftp

I was replying to a post that said the Pro would have "graphical upgrades" over the Amateur and coming from the angle that someone who would post on this thread would generally already own a PS5 anyway (please, no "I don't own one!" replies, I acknowledge you and you're very special!). At that point, getting a second hardware to play your critical darling game with slightly better lightning and crispier reflections off puddles feels like a losing proposition, no?

I have had a PS5 since day 1. I'll be getting a Pro day one to take advantage of its upgrades. Doesn't feel like a losing proposition to me. Neither did my PS4 Pro which I also got day 1. My PS5 will be moved to my bedroom

Mibu no ookami

Demoted Member® Pro™
The bolded part... "likely overpriced"....

Explain that, please.

This is me trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

He says overpriced, but the reality is $ for $ this is going to be more powerful than any PC on the market... So why should this overpriced console be able to do what a "common" PC can at double that price or more?

Mr.Phoenix

So by your logic, swapping out a perfectly fine 3080 to replace it with a 4080 two years apart, to take advantage of better DLSS, RT and frame-gen... is also a losing proposition right?

And all that aside, do you have any idea how crazy it is, trying to speak to what someone else.. considers as value? Like... If someone can spend over $1000 for a wheel and cockpit just to play GT7, who are you to come and tell such a person that spending $500 on a second PS5... is wasteful?

And why are you doing that selective contextual (borderline disingenuous) thing where you nit-pick scenarios to support an argument but then ignore other fully likely scenarios that would dispute your argument? Eg... Most people who are on here, or who buys a PS5pro, likely already has a PS5. This is true, it would also be true, however, that most of those people would sell their PS5 before or after getting the PS5pro. You know, the same thing people tend to do when getting two of something very similar or replacing an old model of something with a new one? So I could sell my PS5 for $300. And add $200-$300 on top of that to buy a PS5pro. This would mean that both my PS5... and PS5pro, would have cost me exactly $500. Combined.

Yh I know... selling old stuff to buy new stuff can work wonders.

And the people that wouldn't bother selling their OG PS5, probably do not care about the money being spent.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
So by your logic, swapping out a perfectly fine 3080 to replace it with a 4080 two years apart, to take advantage of better DLSS, RT and frame-gen... is also a losing proposition right?

And all that aside, do you have any idea how crazy it is, trying to speak to what someone else.. considers as value? Like... If someone can spend over $1000 for a wheel and cockpit just to play GT7, who are you to come and tell such a person that spending $500 on a second PS5... is wasteful?

And why are you doing that selective contextual (borderline disingenuous) thing where you nit-pick scenarios to support an argument but then ignore other fully likely scenarios that would dispute your argument? Eg... Most people who are on here, or who buys a PS5pro, likely already has a PS5. This is true, it would also be true, however, that most of those people would sell their PS5 before or after getting the PS5pro. You know, the same thing people tend to do when getting two of something very similar or replacing an old model of something with a new one? So I could sell my PS5 for $300. And add $200-$300 on top of that to buy a PS5pro. This would mean that both my PS5... and PS5pro, would have cost me exactly $500. Combined.

And the people that wouldn't bother selling their OG PS5, probably do not care about the money being spent.
I love when the PS5 Pro gets compared like this, cannot wait for the response.

Because this is usually what PC players do and have done for decades.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's because you're fundamentally misunderstanding sales reporting, which isn't entirely your fault.

It's often reported that it is the highest selling peripheral by revenue.

The thing costs 200 dollars, it's nearly 3x the price of a Dual Sense controller. The PS5 comes with a Dual Sense controller, so only a fraction of people are buying a second controller or replacement controller at any given time, it also has competition from the Dual Sense Edge and other 3rd party controllers.

What impacts this even more is that sometimes the Dual Sense controllers are available on sale for about 50-ish dollars, bringing that ratio closer to 4:1.

All of which isn't to suggest that the Portal isn't selling well, but rather we should be cautious in making grand assumptions about its sales, very similarly to that of the Steam Deck which hovers near the top of sales charts by revenue on Steam, but it also far more expensive per unit than software titles.

Good point. I was shocked when I heard the Steam Deck only sold like 1 million units in its first year.

You're right friend, I shouldn't have tried to gauge value on what people believe it's worth. If you own a PS5 and you are satisfied by it, then by all means get a PS5 Pro™!

PeteBull

Gold Member
Sure this thing is releasing this year? Already August. No news.
About month left to official reveal.

c3dd2566-cc0c-47e7-b692-b24c84cddc0c_text.gif

Oh forgot to mention... I thought I saw somewhere that AMD said that they are expecting a double digit decline in the Gaming segment this quarter.

I personally think it's a mistake if Sony delays the Pro until next year but the potential is there.

skit_data

Gold Member
I am lost. What has this got to do with the PS5pro?
I interpret it as Sony expecting to produce more inventory overall despite decreasing production on their current hardware, pointing to something leading to that overall increase. But I might be totally of in that interpretation.

Loxus

Oh forgot to mention... I thought I saw somewhere that AMD said that they are expecting a double digit decline in the Gaming segment this quarter.

I personally think it's a mistake if Sony delays the Pro until next year but the potential is there.
AMD's gaming revenue nosedives 48%, not expected to recover until 2025 — lack of interest in RDNA 3 coupled with fewer console sales

"[The] gaming segment, based on current demand signals, revenue to decline by significant double-digit percentage," said Hu. "[…] Based on the visibility we have, the first half, both Q1 [and] Q2, we guided down sequentially more than 30%. We actually think the second half will be lower than first half. That is basically how we are looking at this year for the gaming business."

AMD's predictions suggest that neither Microsoft nor Sony plan to refresh their Xbox Series X|S or PlayStation 5 consoles this year, as otherwise AMD would have expected an uptick in its gaming revenue. The expectations may well mean that the company does not have huge expectations for its discrete GPU sales, either, and it's unlikely that notebook makers will pick up the Radeon RX 7000M-series products this late in the life cycle.

2025 release for a mid-gen console is crazy. That implies the PS6 would release around 2030.

Cross-gen hasn't stopped yet, so that may be a good thing.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

AMD's gaming revenue nosedives 48%, not expected to recover until 2025 — lack of interest in RDNA 3 coupled with fewer console sales

"[The] gaming segment, based on current demand signals, revenue to decline by significant double-digit percentage," said Hu. "[…] Based on the visibility we have, the first half, both Q1 [and] Q2, we guided down sequentially more than 30%. We actually think the second half will be lower than first half. That is basically how we are looking at this year for the gaming business."

AMD's predictions suggest that neither Microsoft nor Sony plan to refresh their Xbox Series X|S or PlayStation 5 consoles this year, as otherwise AMD would have expected an uptick in its gaming revenue. The expectations may well mean that the company does not have huge expectations for its discrete GPU sales, either, and it's unlikely that notebook makers will pick up the Radeon RX 7000M-series products this late in the life cycle.

2025 release for a mid-gen console is crazy. That implies the PS6 would release around 2030.

No chance it doesn't drop till next year.

Competition from Nintendo in the early going of 2025 would be a wash.

That leaves summer and fall of next year which is too late.

Pro is this year

demigod

???
Do you think my situation is unique?
Check his history, lol.

Sony hasn’t announced it yet so of course AMD can’t. The pro will be released this year, sales are already declining for the base. Next year will be too late.

I agree that it's a mistake but the "Party Line" would be that they don't have any games to show it off.

Unofficially though I had thought maybe they wanted more time to decide whether to cancel the thing at the last second.

Loxus

No chance it doesn't drop till next year.

Competition from Nintendo in the early going of 2025 would be a wash.

That leaves summer and fall of next year which is too late.

Pro is this year
Check his history, lol.

Sony hasn’t announced it yet so of course AMD can’t. The pro will be released this year, sales are already declining for the base. Next year will be too late.
I don't think AMD would lie to shareholders and investors like that. From the 1st to the 3rd quarter, AMD would be reporting increased revenue from mass production of the PS5 Pro chip.

Of course they wouldn’t name the chip, they would just say gaming revenue is up by a certain percentage.

Nintendo is basically a handheld at this point, while Sony is console. I don't see it being competition between the two.

Imo, a 2025 release makes sense sales wise. We will see a huge surge in base PS5 sales when GTA 6 drops and then in November PS5 Pro becomes a double dip scenario for persons wanting the best place to play it.

I still think Tom heard something when he made that tweet "If it releases this year" but decided go with the date on the document.

I'm with you guys in wanting it to release this year. I don't want to be waiting for the PS6 to drop in 2030. I'm getting old.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

I don't think AMD would lie to shareholders and investors like that. From the 1st to the 3rd quarter, AMD would be reporting increased revenue from mass production of the PS5 Pro chip.

Of course they wouldn’t name the chip, they would just say gaming revenue is up by a certain percentage.

Nintendo is basically a handheld at this point, while Sony is console. I don't see it being competition between the two.

Imo, a 2025 release makes sense sales wise. We will see a huge surge in base PS5 sales when GTA 6 drops and then in November PS5 Pro becomes a double dip scenario for persons wanting the best place to play it.

I still think Tom heard something when he made that tweet "If it releases this year" but decided go with the date on the document.

I'm with you guys in wanting it to release this year. I don't want to be waiting for the PS6 to drop in 2030. I'm getting old.
It isn't a lie. There is no real facts behind it stating that the apu from the Pro will be a hot seller from the get go. Or that they are even making any money off them.

So this year even with the Pro, they won't be making big profits till next year.

Gotta rememeber, RDNA3 is selling like shit. So no matter how much they make off sony, they could still be losing elsewhere.

PaintTinJr

Based on that, it would be pretty amazing if the Pro was actually a rework of the original PS5 V-shaped dev kits, using two PS5 APUs and an off-APU chip: NPU developed on ARM - think Sony do the Raspberry PIs in Wales - to make up the specs, assuming the current PS5 APUs in Slims have already been revised with RDNA 3.5 but are just run as normal OG PS5 APUs.

On the basis of PlayStation running down current hardware inventory and there being a cost benefit to doing Pros with the exact same chip that'll go in every Slim, that news from AMD does make that design slightly more plausible than no-chance, now IMO.

Loxus

It isn't a lie. There is no real facts behind it stating that the apu from the Pro will be a hot seller from the get go. Or that they are even making any money off them.

So this year even with the Pro, they won't be making big profits till next year.

Gotta rememeber, RDNA3 is selling like shit. So no matter how much they make off sony, they could still be losing elsewhere.
So you're saying AMD is selling these chips to Sony at a lost?

AMD is reporting an even further decline in revenue in the second half of this year. That shows no indication of RDNA4 or PS5 Pro is releasing this year.

Sony most likely would start of with at least 1 million PS5 Pros.

Loxus

Based on that, it would be pretty amazing if the Pro was actually a rework of the original PS5 V-shaped dev kits, using two PS5 APUs and an off-APU chip: NPU developed on ARM - think Sony do the Raspberry PIs in Wales - to make up the specs, assuming the current PS5 APUs in Slims have already been revised with RDNA 3.5 but are just run as normal OG PS5 APUs.

On the basis of PlayStation running down current hardware inventory and there being a cost benefit to doing Pros with the exact same chip that'll go in every Slim, that news from AMD does make that design slightly more plausible than no-chance, now IMO.
I had that idea of a PS5 Refresh and not a Pro. The only change in the Refresh would be faster CPU, GPU, RAM, better RT and the capability to do ML/AI upscaling.

Basically Strix Halo but with 8 CPU cores.
BYClgVA.jpeg

The upscaling capability makes it a better upgrade vs the PS4 Pro and Sony is still only focusing on one chip. OG PS5 chip would cease production.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I had that idea of a PS5 Refresh and not a Pro. The only change in the Refresh would be faster CPU, GPU, RAM, better RT and the capability to do ML/AI upscaling.

BYClgVA.jpeg

The upscaling capability makes it a better upgrade vs the PS4 Pro and Sony is still only focusing on one chip. OG PS5 chip would cease production.
The thing that makes that sound more plausible IMO is that FP16 flops across 2 APUS is 67HF/s (~33 HF/s per APU), meaning with a 4:1 ratio of FP16 to INT4 you'd get 132TOPS + those 45TOPs giving 172 TOPs per APU, and even with scheduling inefficiency across two chips saying the system was 300 TOPs wouldn't seem unreasonable, and would certainly go some way to explain why the 300TOPs wasn't directly derivative and consistent with the Dual Issue flops in the leak.

Last edited:

The PS6 might use something similar to this but it'd be too early for even the PS5 Pro. Strix Halo is going to be a very expensive, low volume chip. Like the starting price for laptops using it is going to be well over a grand.

Last edited:

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
We should be getting leaks from the factory on what it should look like soon if we go by last years slim leaks

Loxus

The thing that makes that sound more plausible IMO is that FP16 flops across 2 APUS is 67HF/s (~33 HF/s per APU), meaning with a 4:1 ratio of FP16 to INT4 you'd get 132TOPS + those 45TOPs giving 172 TOPs per APU, and even with scheduling inefficiency across two chips saying the system was 300 TOPs wouldn't seem unreasonable, and would certainly go some way to explain why the 300TOPs wasn't directly derivative and consistent with the Dual Issue flops in the leak.
Oh you meant chiplets.
Maybe something like this is what you're talking about.
wAWENOV.jpeg

Loxus

The PS6 might use something similar to this but it'd be too early for even the PS5 Pro. Strix Halo is going to be a very expensive, low volume chip. Like the starting price for laptops using it is going to be well over a grand.
Yea, PS5 Pro should still be Monolithic.

With Strix Halo, I meant with the same 40CUs as PS5 but RDNA3.5.

PaintTinJr

Oh you meant chiplets.
Maybe something like this is what you're talking about.
wAWENOV.jpeg
No, I was meaning physically separate APUs working together via an interface like Infinity fabric, with one APU being the primary with the active IO complex/tempest chip/memory controller and the other being the subservient secondary chip only getting data through the infinity fabric and a slave memory interface.

Mr.Phoenix

I have always wondered why they don't do that. If they can make a small APU that is faster and better than the OG, and cheaper... why don't they just phase out the OG model and go on making the newer SKU. Then again, I guess if they do that, then there really wouldn't need to be console generations anymore. And it would just come down to PS_OS supporting a given range of PS hardware.

winjer

Gold Member
No, I was meaning physically separate APUs working together via an interface like Infinity fabric, with one APU being the primary with the active IO complex/tempest chip/memory controller and the other being the subservient secondary chip only getting data through the infinity fabric and a slave memory interface.

At this point, I think it's just easier to have a SoC made of several chiplets from different units.
One just for the GPU. Another for the CPU, another for the L3 cache, another for the I/O and another for the NPU.
Each could use a different process node, as best fits to save costs. The CPU could still be the same in N6. The same for the IO die.
SRam scales very poorly with newer process nodes. So having a chunk L3 made in N7 would make perfect sense.
And then use the more advanced and expensive node, N5 or N4X, for the GPU. And another for the NPU.

It's lot of chiplets, but bonding technology has come a long way. And AMD has tons of experience with chiplets.

Imtjnotu

So you're saying AMD is selling these chips to Sony at a lost?

AMD is reporting an even further decline in revenue in the second half of this year. That shows no indication of RDNA4 or PS5 Pro is releasing this year.

Sony most likely would start of with at least 1 million PS5 Pros.
im not saying AMD will take a loss. im just saying they will not be turning a profit off consoles backs alone.

their revenue decline isnt just because of console sales slowing. but their GPU business and maybe RND costs for Zen 5 and production.

if AMD were to ever show splits for all their Branches and sub branches, i doubt consoles are ever losing them money. so any decline from i doubt has anything to do with forecasting no pro this year.

Ashamam

I'm not sure future sales are relevant when its possible Sony have already paid for the first tranche. It was rumoured that Sony have had the Pro locked in since last year and could have perhaps even shipped Christmas last year if they had wanted to. Maybe they have been taking inventory for a while? It could have been part of the contract for certain dates, and Sony holding off is irrelevant to AMD.

Last edited:

SonGoku

I'm not sure future sales are relevant when its possible Sony have already paid for the first tranche. It was rumoured that Sony have had the Pro locked in since last year and could have perhaps even shipped Christmas last year if they had wanted to. Maybe they have been taking inventory for a while? It could have been part of the contract for certain dates, and Sony holding off is irrelevant to AMD.
I dont know about the rest of you but doesnt the whole rumor "sOnY HaD ThE Ps5 PrO ChIp rEaDy tO TaPe lAsT YeAr bUt cHoSe nOt tO ReAlEaSe bEcAuSe rEaSoNs"
Smell like steaming pile of shit?

Ashamam

I dont know about the rest of you but doesnt the whole rumor "sOnY HaD ThE Ps5 PrO ChIp rEaDy tO TaPe lAsT YeAr bUt cHoSe nOt tO ReAlEaSe bEcAuSe rEaSoNs"
Problem with your keyboard?

Its a rumour, I know Moore's law is the source, not sure of any others, but regardless of whether the rumour is true (and it obviously might not be), we still don't have any idea of where AMD is on delivery/billing etc. I don't read too much into the AMD projections is mainly my point.

Mr.Phoenix

Yup, smells funny to me. But I also kinda understand it or can relate to it.

I feel that inherently, rumors are usually always just a part of a whole. So they are never really painting the full picture and a lot can be left up for interpretation.

Eg... there obviously would be multiple iterations of whatever chip that becomes the PS5pro made, before the final one makes its way into the box. So if someone says, XYZ was ready at such and such time but decided not to for reasons, at that time that was referring to... it may be true. And those reasons could simply be, to wait a little more for better RT, or for cheaper wafers...etc.

Either way... we just will never know.

Loxus

im not saying AMD will take a loss. im just saying they will not be turning a profit off consoles backs alone.

their revenue decline isnt just because of console sales slowing. but their GPU business and maybe RND costs for Zen 5 and production.

if AMD were to ever show splits for all their Branches and sub branches, i doubt consoles are ever losing them money. so any decline from i doubt has anything to do with forecasting no pro this year.
AMD is only taking about their gaming revenue (Consoles and GPUs) and I don't think they would lie to investors.

"First quarter semi-custom SoC sales declined in line with our projections as we are now in the fifth year of the console cycle," said AMD CFO Jean Hu on a conference call with analysts and investors (via SeekingAlpha). "In gaming graphics, revenue declined year-over-year and sequentially. We expanded our Radeon 7000-series family with the global launch of our Radeon RX 7900 GRE and also introduced our driver-based AMD Fluid Motion Frames technology that can provide large performance increases in thousands of games."

If PS5 Pro was launching this year, revenue for AMD would stop deciding as Sony would be buying up more chips (PS5 + PS5 Pro) since the first half of the year for a PS5 Pro November release.

Imo, best time to release the PS5 Pro is along side GTA 6. The marketing as well would be straight forward. "The best place to play".

Most people will wait until GTA 6 drops before buying a PS5 Pro anyway, as that's probably how Sony sees it.

PS5 Pro may not even have been scheduled to be released this year. We are just following and believing what Tom Henderson says.

welshrat

I can't see them delaying another year, as then ps6 would be at least 2028 maybe longer. I still think it's coming this year. Guess we find out in the next few months.

Top Bottom