• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Pro Specs Leak are Real, Releasing Holiday 2024(Insider Gaming)

Mr.Phoenix

i would pay the extra 30 to get rid of bs online check in.
Ooooohhh.... you must not know then. Even when buying the PS5 with the disc drive bundled in, you still have to do the "bullshit online check-in" to be able to use the disc drive.

The thing is... if people wanted the best performance as soon as possible they probably wouldn't be buying consoles. They would constantly be upgrading their PC's.

If people want the best performance a console can offer then of course, buy a PS5 Pro when it launches. I'm planning to sell one of my PS5's and put the money toward a PS5 Pro when it launches. I'm not a hardcore gamer, though. I'm just a console gamer.
Why is this concept so hard to understand? Why are some people just oblivious to see it?

Some people..... A LOT of people, just are not interested in buying/building/upgrading a PC to play games.

Some people, a LOT of people, are just interested in buying the best version of something, yes, even if that something is a console.

The Hardcore console gamer? The very type that probably even has a gaming PC, maybe even a Switch too, or are just into Playstation consoles.... is more than willing to buy a PS5pro just on it being the best PlayStation currently on the market. Even if it's for just 3-4 years before a PS6 dethrones it. Why? Because those people do not have an issue spending $500+ on an upgrade or to play the games they would have played on the PS anyway, the best way possible.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
Ooooohhh.... you must not know then. Even when buying the PS5 with the disc drive bundled in, you still have to do the "bullshit online check-in" to be able to use the disc drive.

Why is this concept so hard to understand? Why are some people just oblivious to see it?

Some people..... A LOT of people, just are not interested in buying/building/upgrading a PC to play games.

Some people, a LOT of people, are just interested in buying the best version of something, yes, even if that something is a console.

The Hardcore console gamer? The very type that probably even has a gaming PC, maybe even a Switch too, or are just into Playstation consoles.... is more than willing to buy a PS5pro just on it being the best PlayStation currently on the market. Even if it's for just 3-4 years before a PS6 dethrones it. Why? Because those people do not have an issue spending $500+ on an upgrade or to play the games they would have played on the PS anyway, the best way possible.
oh ok

The thing is... if people wanted the best performance as soon as possible they probably wouldn't be buying consoles. They would constantly be upgrading their PC's.

If people want the best performance a console can offer then of course, buy a PS5 Pro when it launches. I'm planning to sell one of my PS5's and put the money toward a PS5 Pro when it launches. I'm not a hardcore gamer, though. I'm just a console gamer.
There’s an enthusiast level user on consoles though, I would love to see the data of people who bought the PS4 Pro and used it across 1080p displays, because in a couple of friend groups that I have that’s what happened mainly.

I have a lot of ex-PC friends who now have consoles who would love to get their hands on a Pro.

Plus, with the crazy pricing on the PC for the high end I’d say Sony can easily bag some PC players who aren’t interested in the benefits of Pc (such as specific games and the flexibility of hardware and etc

For example from my side I own a high end rig (7900XTX & 7900X3D) and I’m buying the Pro on day 0.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter

I think it’s more nuanced than that. For one, just because someone games on PC doesn’t mean that they only game there. I’d wager most people who have a capable gaming rig also have at least one console.

For two, there are levels to this. You may covet the best or would like to have it, but not everyone thinks it’s sensible to shell out $1600-2000 on an RTX 4090. Those people might opt for something more affordable like a 4070 Ti or 7900 XTX or 4080. By the same token, those people would also go for a $500-600 Pro over the regular version.

Look no further than this thread. Lots of PC enthusiasts such as myself also own consoles and we’re all interested in the Pro. Then consider that the PC DIY market is in a rough place when it comes to pricing. We have to pay A LOT of money for the best of the best. $1500 no longer gets you a top-tier rig.

The bottom line is, there is a market for a premium console in a mid-cycle, but for some strange reason, a lot of people oppose the idea.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
Wouldn't the hardware gamer want Sony to skip a mid-gen upgrade in favor of Sony launching the PS6 earlier? A proper upgrade in 2026-2027.
There is a reason console generations slowed down/ gap between each console gen power gets smaller and smaller, hardware/tech advancements are much slower nowadays, especially the node improvements, which are crucial for both perf/wat and cost.

Thats the reason current top gpu, so 4090, costs 2k usd(talking usable variant with quiet and efficient cooling system, most ppl dont wanna hear literal jet engine when they playing games) and has 450W tdp.

Now compare it to first nvidia titan, back from early 2013 so just before ps4/xbone launch https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-titan.c1996 only 250W tdp, 1k usd price in 2013 adjusted for inflation is 1350usd today.
11 years of difference only, yet top pc gpu got crazy hike both in price and tdp, now lets compare it to consoles- can ps5pr0 get to even 300w tdp? Unlikely, it will probably be 220w or so, maybe 250w at max(actual tdp, not what its psu is rated at).
Price wise at max its gonna be 500-600usd, no way its higher.

Im mentioning it coz consoles gotta have console form factor, and they cant launch at 999$ either(many of us here would buy it gladly but we are bleeding edge enthusiasts), so tldr, with ps5pr0 sony is offering best they can do for 500-600usd and 220-250W, those are hard limitations that cant be surpassed no matter what, and pc top gpu's arent constrained by those.

Last edited:
There is a reason console generations slowed down/ gap between each console gen power gets smaller and smaller, hardware/tech advancements are much slower nowadays, especially the node improvements, which are crucial for both perf/wat and cost.

Thats the reason current top gpu, so 4090, costs 2k usd(talking usable variant with quiet and efficient cooling system, most ppl dont wanna hear literal jet engine when they playing games) and has 450W tdp.

Now compare it to first nvidia titan, back from early 2013 so just before ps4/xbone launch https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-titan.c1996 only 250W tdp, 1k usd price in 2013 adjusted for inflation is 1350usd today.
11 years of difference only, yet top pc gpu got crazy hike both in price and tdp, now lets compare it to consoles- can ps5pr0 get to even 300w tdp? Unlikely, it will probably be 220w or so, maybe 250w at max(actual tdp, not what its psu is rated at).

Im mentioning it coz consoles gotta have console form factor, and they cant launch at 999$ either(many of us here would buy it gladly but we are bleeding edge enthusiasts), so tldr, with ps5pr0 sony is offering best they can do for 500-600usd and 220-250W, those are hard limitations that cant be surpassed no matter what, and pc top gpu's arent confined by.
The great thing about the PS5 Pro situation is that PSSR will definitely help with putting the wattage down just like DLSS does, this might allow Cerny and the team to be able to push perf even forward since nobody is planning to use the console on native 4k.

Mr.Phoenix

The bottom line is, there is a market for a premium console in a mid-cycle, but for some strange reason, a lot of people oppose the idea.
If you ask me, I think it mainly comes down to disingenuous people with an agenda to push.

It just makes no sense to me how an updated version of a console is such a weird strange concept to grasp... especially considering that having multiple SKUs of products with very slight differences between them is something that has been happening in pretty much every other sector of the tech world. Hell... in nearly every sector of consumer products. Even a car will have multiple trims of the same model. Or game having the standard edition and the limited edition...

Or a 40xx GPU having like 4 different cards in the same family of GPU, that are all only marginally better than whatever they are replacing from a year or two prior.

But for some reason, somehow.... all of that, all the obvious cases of these kinda things in the world at large, just goes out the window when it's a PS console that is getting an upgraded version? No way anyone doing that is being sincere.

saintjules

Gold Member
If you ask me, I think it mainly comes down to disingenuous people with an agenda to push.

It just makes no sense to me how an updated version of a console is such a weird strange concept to grasp... especially considering that having multiple SKUs of products with very slight differences between them is something that has been happening in pretty much every other sector of the tech world. Hell... in nearly every sector of consumer products. Even a car will have multiple trims of the same model. Or game having the standard edition and the limited edition...

Or a 40xx GPU having like 4 different cards in the same family of GPU, that are all only marginally better than whatever they are replacing from a year or two prior.

But for some reason, somehow.... all of that, all the obvious cases of these kinda things in the world at large, just goes out the window when it's a PS console that is getting an upgraded version? No way anyone doing that is being sincere.

100% agree and I have echoed this as well.

There's annual CPU/GPU models that come out. There's annual car releases. There's annual phone models and respective sub tiers to choose from. No one complains there. You don't need to buy any of it. They're just there for those who either want it or they are coming from a place to where it's time to upgrade what they already have and will dive into the new thing.

No one is forcing people to buy mid-gen Consoles. I guess the complaints are those who bought the base model and see that an upgraded SKU model is coming in and they feel like they got suckered out of $4-500 on something and can't afford to spend more on an upgrade. And as I mentioned once before on here, it's taken nearly 4 years for a mid-gen upgrade versus an annual one.

Last edited:
100% agree and I have echoed this as well.

There's annual CPU/GPU models that come out. There's annual car releases. There's annual phone models and respective sub tiers to choose from. No one complains there. You don't need to buy any of it. They're just there for those who either want it or they are coming from a place to where it's time to upgrade what they already have and will dive into the new thing.

No one is forcing people to buy mid-gen Consoles. I guess the complaints are those who bought the base model and see that an upgraded SKU model is coming in and they feel like they got suckered out of $4-500 on something and can't afford to spend more on an upgrade. And as I mentioned once before on here, it's taken nearly 4 years for a mid-gen upgrade versus an annual one.
The problem is that gatekeeping software stacks like NVIDIA is doing is hurting PC gaming a lot and on the long term might make more and more people leave to consoles unless we get some serious GPU competition in the next 3-5 years. Now for example come next GPU generation it looks like AMD and Intel will be fighting for lower/mid end and once again Jensen can do whatever he wants in terms of pricing with the High End.

I purchased an MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM on launch day back in 2020 for 839€ and it sucks that I got locked out of the new DLSS versions, I won't even discuss the 10GB VRAM topic because I recently was forced to upgrade to be able to enjoy Alan Wake II and some other games without VRAM stuttering (For those curious I have a 7900XTX that I got via open box deal for 750€)

In our cross play group, half of our friends are running PS5 instead of ending up to upgrade a new PC. Personally for me I love cross play and cross progress and it allows everyone to play together.

Last edited:

Loxus

Im mentioning it coz consoles gotta have console form factor, and they cant launch at 999$ either(many of us here would buy it gladly but we are bleeding edge enthusiasts), so tldr, with ps5pr0 sony is offering best they can do for 500-600usd and 220-250W, those are hard limitations that cant be surpassed no matter what, and pc top gpu's arent constrained by those.
Way do you think launching the PS6 in 2026-2027 is a problem and it will cost $1000 when that is the normal time frame for when Sony releases a new generation?
kP8MAlN.jpeg

Next year is 2025. Following Sony previous console generation releases, PS6 will be 1-2 years away.

PS5 consoles sales will be very low around that time, sparking Sony to start a new generation, regardless of if the PS5 Pro has released or not.

welshrat

I think it’s more nuanced than that. For one, just because someone games on PC doesn’t mean that they only game there. I’d wager most people who have a capable gaming rig also have at least one console.

For two, there are levels to this. You may covet the best or would like to have it, but not everyone thinks it’s sensible to shell out $1600-2000 on an RTX 4090. Those people might opt for something more affordable like a 4070 Ti or 7900 XTX or 4080. By the same token, those people would also go for a $500-600 Pro over the regular version.

Look no further than this thread. Lots of PC enthusiasts such as myself also own consoles and we’re all interested in the Pro. Then consider that the PC DIY market is in a rough place when it comes to pricing. We have to pay A LOT of money for the best of the best. $1500 no longer gets you a top-tier rig.

Yeah, exactly this. Also we want to game in different locations. My PC is in my office, my PS5 in my living room connected to AVR and TV, its a different experience.

Loxus

Dream on if you think PS6 is only 1 to 2 years away. The PS5 released Nov 12 2020, which means today puts us at only 3 years 9 months into its life.
Did you even read?

I said next year is 2025 and following previous Sony consoles releases, means it's 1-2 years away in 2025. Maybe I should have worded it better.

2025 + 1 = 2026
2025 + 2 = 2027
2025 will be here before we know it.

If PS6 releases in 2027, that's 7 years like with PS3 & PS4.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Did you even read?

I said next year is 2025 and following previous Sony consoles releases, means it's 1-2 years away in 2025. Maybe I should have worded it better.

2025 + 1 = 2026
2025 + 2 = 2027
2025 will be here before we know it.

If PS6 releases in 2027, that's 7 years like with PS3 & PS4.
Come on man, no need for insults. You're spinning the maths to have them shorten the timeline. Which is why I grounded it by reminding you that we're not even 4 years in yet. That's all.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Way do you think launching the PS6 in 2026-2027 is a problem and it will cost $1000 when that is the normal time frame for when Sony releases a new generation?
kP8MAlN.jpeg

Next year is 2025. Following Sony previous console generation releases, PS6 will be 1-2 years away.

PS5 consoles sales will be very low around that time, sparking Sony to start a new generation, regardless of if the PS5 Pro has released or not.
In 2026 max litography we can count on is 3nm, which means ps6 will be at max as powerful as current top 4090, which means only roughly 3x stronger from base ps5, such a small powergap between gens is simply insufficient(only reason it worked for nintendo with their wiiu->switch was coz switch is basically handheld).

TLDR: Amd/sony will need those 2 additional years 2026-->2028 to make ps6 be sizeable jump vs base ps5.
playstation to ps2 was barely 5 years long but jump in power and performance between those 2 mashines was 100x or so, and games showed it, even tekken tag tournament, launch ps2 game, was so much more visibly impressive from first playstation's tekken3, hell even from arcade12 original tekken tag.

I could link graphics comparisions but any1 can check yt vids to see, tekken3 launched in 1997(one of best looking console games this gen, only beaten by VF3 arcade version which is understandable, sega's model 3 was a monster costing 20k usd https://segaretro.org/Sega_Model_3 ), tekken tag in 99 arcade version, ps2 launch so 30th march 2000 console version and it was colorado canion of gap between them.

Now keep in mind ps4 to ps5 is about 6x gpu increase and 3x cpu increase, u absolutely dont want ps6 to only be 3x performance increase from base ps5, and that is max what 3nm and console power draw(below 250W) will offer in 2026.

Loxus

Come on man, no need for insults. You're spinning the maths to have them shorten the timeline. Which is why I grounded it by reminding you that we're not even 4 years in yet. That's all.
Maybe I'm just rushing down the year as 2025 is the year GTA6 releases.

Anyway, 2027 is most likely when PS6 releases. 2028 is just speculation.

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests
Sony does not expect its next-generation PlayStation to arrive until at least 2027, a confidential document has suggested.

The partially-redacted document was released publicly today as part of the UK's ongoing in-depth Competition and Markets Authority review into Microsoft's proposed $68bn Activision Blizzard buyout - a deal Sony has strongly objected to.

In an intriguing passage discussing the length of time Call of Duty may remain on PlayStation, Sony claims that (at the time of writing) it expected to lose access to the franchise in 2027. Sony then goes on to state that by the time it "launched the next generation of its PlayStation console... it would have lost access to Call of Duty and other Activision titles".

In the beginning of 2023, Tom Henderson said he heard more about PS6 that PS5 Pro. Hearing about the PS6 that early should tell us it's not that far away.

Loxus

In 2026 max litography we can count on is 3nm, which means ps6 will be at max as powerful as current top 4090, which means only roughly 3x stronger from base ps5, such a small powergap between gens is simply insufficient(only reason it worked for nintendo with their wiiu->switch was coz switch is basically handheld).

TLDR: Amd/sony will need those 2 additional years 2026-->2028 to make ps6 be sizeable jump vs base ps5.
playstation to ps2 was barely 5 years long but jump in power and performance between those 2 mashines was 100x or so, and games showed it, even tekken tag tournament, launch ps2 game, was so much more visibly impressive from first playstation's tekken3, hell even from arcade12 original tekken tag.

I could link graphics comparisions but any1 can check yt vids to see, tekken3 launched in 1997(one of best looking console games this gen, only beaten by VF3 arcade version which is understandable, sega's model 3 was a monster costing 20k usd https://segaretro.org/Sega_Model_3 ), tekken tag in 99 arcade version, ps2 launch so 30th march 2000 console version and it was colorado canion of gap between them.

Now keep in mind ps4 to ps5 is about 6x gpu increase and 3x cpu increase, u absolutely dont want ps6 to only be 3x performance increase from base ps5, and that is max what 3nm and console power draw(below 250W) will offer in 2026.
Next generation should be all about RT.
PS5 is more or less 6700XT in RT performance.
K4aTZge.png

135fps ÷ 13fps = 10.38
If the PS6 is going to be on the 4090 level, that would mean it's 10× stronger than the PS5 and that doesn't account for PSSR.

Last edited:
K4aTZge.png

135fps ÷ 13fps = 10.38
If the PS6 is going to be on the 4090 level, that would mean it's 10× stronger than the PS5 and that doesn't account for PSSR.
Agree about RT (and AI upscaling). Sony said 2-4x faster in RT (who said 10x? didn't follow here). Based on what we know it makes sense compared to PS5 obviously. I mean PS5 RT is so weak even 3-4x faster in RT games won't be next-gen and just about 4070 RT level.

Perrott

In the beginning of 2023, Tom Henderson said he heard more about PS6 that PS5 Pro. Hearing about the PS6 that early should tell us it's not that far away.

Not really, months later Tom Henderson went on to report this on his website (which gives his statements greater credibility than whatever he rambles about on Twitter, as seen by the "PS5 Pro might be delayed into 2025" debacle):
Insider Gaming understands that the next generation of the PlayStation, the PS6, is unlikely to release until at least 2028. Source

King Dazzar

Maybe I'm just rushing down the year as 2025 is the year GTA6 releases.

Sony doesn't expect PlayStation 6 before 2027, confidential document suggests
Sony does not expect its next-generation PlayStation to arrive until at least 2027, a confidential document has suggested.

The partially-redacted document was released publicly today as part of the UK's ongoing in-depth Competition and Markets Authority review into Microsoft's proposed $68bn Activision Blizzard buyout - a deal Sony has strongly objected to.

In an intriguing passage discussing the length of time Call of Duty may remain on PlayStation, Sony claims that (at the time of writing) it expected to lose access to the franchise in 2027. Sony then goes on to state that by the time it "launched the next generation of its PlayStation console... it would have lost access to Call of Duty and other Activision titles".

Pure speculation on my part. But I'd have thought late 2027. Day one Pro for sure though. 🙂

Loxus

Agree about RT (and AI upscaling). Sony said 2-4x faster in RT (who said 10x? didn't follow here). Based on what we know it makes sense compared to PS5 obviously. I mean PS5 RT is so weak even 3-4x faster in RT games won't be next-gen and just about 4070 RT level.
The 4090 RT is 10× faster than PS5 looking at the benchmarks in the graph.

2-4× faster for the PS5 Pro.
So 10× faster for PS6 shouldn't be impossible.

Loxus

Not really, months later Tom Henderson went on to report this on his website (which gives his statements greater credibility than whatever he rambles about on Twitter, as seen by the "PS5 Pro might be delayed into 2025" debacle):
That's still speculation from Tom based on if PS5 Pro releases this year, PS6 should release in 2028.

PS5 sales are starting to decline. By 2027, sales well be very low and Sony would release the PS6 then anyway.

Loxus

I don't wanna derail this thread into a PS6 thread, so let get back to the PS5 Pro discussion.

I still believe it'll release.
2024 or 2025, it doesn't matter to me as long as it's available when GTA6 releases.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Some at Xbox think the PS6 might hit 2027 as well and that kind of circles back to when I said last year Xbox wanted about a 2 year window to release their next Xbox ahead of the PS6 its where I have been saying the next Xbox could happen in 2025

As far as hearing more about the PS6 Ybarra said more than once even before a current console even launches they were already planning the next Xbox and I assume Sony does the same thing so Tom saying that to me anyhow implies his source is someone pretty high up thats part of that planning

Side note I would shocked if this Pro slips to next year at this point even for the people saying they have no major game to push it.

Right now Sony has the free marketing of saying this is clearly the best place to play any game in the console space.

PeteBull

Gold Member
K4aTZge.png

135fps ÷ 13fps = 10.38
Lets assume ps6 is 10x stronger in raytracing from base ps5, and only 3x stronger in raster, its still pathetic and not next gen worthy, sorry :)
It would mean gap between ps5 and ps6 is only half of ps4 to ps5 which was smallest of all the gens already.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
`I hate being the one that says it (no actually I love it), but, the standard PS5, is already built without a disc drive. There is currently ONE model of the PS5 in production, and that model comes without a disc drive. There are two SKUs in store however, one with the optional disc drive bundled in, and one without.

All Sony needs to do, is make sure the PS5pro is also compatible with the current disc drive add-on. Selling a Pro with a bundled disc drive add-on or without, would be the least of their problems.

If I were Sony, I would try something... sell the PS5 Pro for $499. Then sell it with a disc drive for $599. And sell the disc drive add-on for $70 as it is sold now. I wonder if anyone would buy the disc drive bundled SKU.
Exactly.

The slim is literally one model with a disc drive attachment.

Just like the orig PS5 was one console shell and a drive separating each other.

Sony releasing the PS6 in 3 years from now makes no sense with the Pro still to be released and considering all studios are working on PS5 games currently. (and have been for years).

PS5 was also originally planned for 2019 internally if i remember it right and we all know what happened.

The only reason for them to "rush" the PS6 would be if they find a way to bring down the production costs and have the console release with a decent price...

There's also the point that by the time all PS studios start to release their big AAA titles the PS5 will finally have a great user base. Sony won't want to start releasing games for the PS6 when the PS5 will be at around 80/90M users. That's the best part of the gen to make money from your games. Releasing even more expensive games to develop on new hardware doesn't seem like a good idea at that point.

And that would also mean we already have studios working (like full production) on PS6 games at this point. This during a time where most PS studios have yet to release a fully PS5 title.

Not saying 2027 is impossible...but good luck selling that console by then. (3 years after the Pro and all that as well)

I don't wanna derail this thread into a PS6 thread, so let get back to the PS5 Pro discussion.

I still believe it'll release.
2024 or 2025, it doesn't matter to me as long as it's available when GTA6 releases.
Absolutely and at the end of the day the PS5 Pro is a small preview of the PS6 with the addition of the PSSR.

Plus, there's always enthusiasts looking to buy

ReBurn

Gold Member

The concept isn't hard to understand at all. I'm not interested in building or maintaining a gaming PC any more. That's why I'm a console gamer. I'm ok with having less than the best experience possible in order to have the convenience of plug and play. The stock disc version of PS5 is currently $500+ so that's apparently not what makes someone a hardcore gamer.

I think that a person who chooses a console for convenience can still be an avid gamer. However, I would contend that if convenience is the reason someone prefers to be console-only is then that person is not a hardcore gamer looking for the best possible experience. We don't have to agree, but I think that buying PS5 Pro for super powered convenience of gaming on console isn't going to make someone a hardcore gamer any more than putting a spiked collar on a chihuahua is going to make it into a killer guard dog.

Mr.Phoenix

The concept isn't hard to understand at all. I'm not interested in building or maintaining a gaming PC any more. That's why I'm a console gamer. I'm ok with having less than the best experience possible in order to have the convenience of plug and play. The stock disc version of PS5 is currently $500+ so that's apparently not what makes someone a hardcore gamer.

I think that a person who chooses a console for convenience can still be an avid gamer. However, I would contend that if convenience is the reason someone prefers to be console-only is then that person is not a hardcore gamer looking for the best possible experience. We don't have to agree, but I think that buying PS5 Pro for super powered convenience of gaming on console isn't going to make someone a hardcore gamer any more than putting a spiked collar on a chihuahua is going to make it into a killer guard dog.
I don't even like the term hardcore gamer. WTF does that even mean? I only used it cause you guys were already throwing the phrase around.

And yeah, we don't have to agree. My thing is simple though... there is absolutely nothing wrong with a console existing that gives you 1080p games at 60fps and another that gives you 1440p-4K at 60fps. Especially if there is a no more than a $100-$200 difference between models. You don't have to be low-core or hardcore to go with one over the other. Whatever you choose is either just what you can afford or what your preference is.

Same way that buying a 65" instead of a 55" TV doesn't make you a videophile. Or buying a 4090 instead of a 4070 doesn't make you a better gamer.

If you ask me... I think its actually really stupid conversations like this even exist on the "value" or "reason" for a PS5pro.

Mr.Phoenix

Exactly.

The slim is literally one model with a disc drive attachment.

Just like the orig PS5 was one console shell and a drive separating each other.
Its even worse thna the original. An argument can be made that the OG PS5 was actually two PS5 models being built. Because the boards weren't interchangeable, or you couldn't just take a used disc drive and throw it into a PS5 digital.

But with the current PS5 slim, its literally one SKU, one board... everything. The only thing that differentiates the two, is the shape of the bottom left removable cover and which one has the disc attachment bundled in with the box.

PS6 will come when PC hardware is too far beyond what the PS5 can deliver visually, this gen despite all the 'it's not next gen enuff' crowd is so close to high end PC it's the narrowest margin that we've ever had.

Sure it's disappointing that IQ takes a hit for High Frame rate or the most demanding games, but PS5 Pro will remedy that, PS6 in 2028 is fine, even if it was 2029 it's cool.

The not next gen crowd need to accept we're never getting a Top Down GTA to 3D Open World GTA ever again in gaming, it's diminishing returns from here on out, that's why the PS4 was the most important generation, PS4 games will still hold up, if you can play them on newer hardware with better framerates or higher native res great, but even if not, they look and play just like current gen games minus a few visual effects.

Loxus

Sony releasing the PS6 in 3 years from now makes no sense with the Pro still to be released and considering all studios are working on PS5 games currently. (and have been for years).

PS5 was also originally planned for 2019 internally if i remember it right and we all know what happened.

The only reason for them to "rush" the PS6 would be if they find a way to bring down the production costs and have the console release with a decent price...

There's also the point that by the time all PS studios start to release their big AAA titles the PS5 will finally have a great user base. Sony won't want to start releasing games for the PS6 when the PS5 will be at around 80/90M users. That's the best part of the gen to make money from your games. Releasing even more expensive games to develop on new hardware doesn't seem like a good idea at that point.

And that would also mean we already have studios working (like full production) on PS6 games at this point. This during a time where most PS studios have yet to release a fully PS5 title.

Not saying 2027 is impossible...but good luck selling that console by then. (3 years after the Pro and all that as well)
Take a look at this again.
J75a1Nh.jpeg

How is releasing the PS6 in 2026-2027 be rushing?
That's 6-7 year between gens, which is the normal time frame for Sony.

Did the PS4 Pro stop the PS5 from selling?

twilo99

Gold Member
Everyone still mainly concerned about the GPU when the real bottleneck on all of these boxes has been, and continues to be the CPU..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Would a gamescon announcement be out of the questIon with a deep dive later??
It's happening during the September showcase that they will put out, plus they aren't going to Gamescom this year
Sony is going back to Tokyo Game Show this year at the end of Sept. a lot think they might reveal it then

Would stop the leaks of journalist getting the invites to an official reveal

PS5 sales are starting to decline. By 2027, sales well be very low and Sony would release the PS6 then anyway.
So context is missing and why?

Let's do this:

1- PS5 sales are declining after Sony had the biggest sales EVER for a home console due to Covid's production issues in 2020/2022. If they manage 18M sold that's fucking amazing for a year-4 console without a price decrease. (that actually got a price increase)
2 - Sales are declining because Sony not only has failed to decrease PS5's price, it actually increased it. Let me remind you the only country where PS5 remains at the same price (USA) the console is literally selling faster than the PS4. A PS4 at this point was at 300 dollars. Almost half the price.
3 - For this gen we still have a lot of cross gen titles releasing 4 years in. When you join that and the console's price, most people won't be upgrading for a while.

Releasing a new console in 2027 even more expensive than a PS5, when most studios will be releasing PS5 games, when 50% of the people in 2024 are still playing on PS4 is going to do NOTHING for Sony. They are now finally getting to the point where PS5's active users is surpassing the ones from the PS4. They aren't thinking about a PS6 in 3 years.

Looking at past consoles sales trajetories and trying to predict this one is useless. GTAVI + PS5 price decrease + PS5 Pro releasing + most of their studios pumping out exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima 2, Wolverine (which is at an all time high after the new movie), etc are still going to give Sony their biggest sales this gen outside of last year's.

I'm sure no one is panicking at Sony even if they missed last year's predictions. Sony has always known this isn't a speed race and it's all about endurance. Look at how the PS3 recovered near the end with multiple console revisions, a kick-ass first party output, etc.

Imagine a PS5 (slim) + GTAVI for like 400 dollars or less on black friday.
I really think people aren't thinking about what a bomb this game will be in terms of sales.

GTAV is the biggest selling most profitable entertainment product of all time. Remember what Hogwart's Legacy did for the PS5 early last year? That's basically nothing compared to what GTAVI will be doing. And if Sony has that marketing campaign aligned with Rockstar like it has been for years...you can imagine what will happen for fall 2025 of for whenever the game releases in 2026.

PS: Currently there's no need for a console gen to have 5 years when most studios take that or more to start developing and releasing the first game of a new IP. If PS6 releases in 2027 means Sony has studios currently working full-time on PS6's launch line up...in a time most of their studios haven't released PS5 games. That makes no sense to me.

Last edited:

Loxus

So context is missing and why?

Let's do this:

1- PS5 sales are declining after Sony had the biggest sales EVER for a home console due to Covid's production issues in 2020/2022. If they manage 18M sold that's fucking amazing for a year-4 console without a price decrease. (that actually got a price increase)
2 - Sales are declining because Sony not only has failed to decrease PS5's price, it actually increased it. Let me remind you the only country where PS5 remains at the same price (USA) the console is literally selling faster than the PS4. A PS4 at this point was at 300 dollars. Almost half the price.
3 - For this gen we still have a lot of cross gen titles releasing 4 years in. When you join that and the console's price, most people won't be upgrading for a while.

Releasing a new console in 2027 even more expensive than a PS5, when most studios will be releasing PS5 games, when 50% of the people in 2024 are still playing on PS4 is going to do NOTHING for Sony. They are now finally getting to the point where PS5's active users is surpassing the ones from the PS4. They aren't thinking about a PS6 in 3 years.

Looking at past consoles sales trajetories and trying to predict this one is useless. GTAVI + PS5 price decrease + PS5 Pro releasing + most of their studios pumping out exclusives like Ghost of Tsushima 2, Wolverine (which is at an all time high after the new movie), etc are still going to give Sony their biggest sales this gen outside of last year's.

I'm sure no one is panicking at Sony even if they missed last year's predictions. Sony has always known this isn't a speed race and it's all about endurance. Look at how the PS3 recovered near the end with multiple console revisions, a kick-ass first party output, etc.

Imagine a PS5 (slim) + GTAVI for like 400 dollars or less on black friday.
I really think people aren't thinking about what a bomb this game will be in terms of sales.

GTAV is the biggest selling most profitable entertainment product of all time. Remember what Hogwart's Legacy did for the PS5 early last year? That's basically nothing compared to what GTAVI will be doing. And if Sony has that marketing campaign aligned with Rockstar like it has been for years...you can imagine what will happen for fall 2025 of for whenever the game releases in 2026.

PS: Currently there's no need for a console gen to have 5 years when most studios take that or more to start developing and releasing the first game of a new IP. If PS6 releases in 2027 means Sony has studios currently working full-time on PS6's launch line up...in a time most of their studios haven't released PS5 games. That makes no sense to me.
How many launch exclusives did the PS5 has again?

I don't get why you're so against PS6 releases in 2027. How much difference does it make compared to releasing in 2028?

You're acting like the PS6 is supposed to release in 2032 or something.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Could easily happen.

There's almost no point making a new console generation if people are just going to play old generation console games. Maybe Sony will just do a "PS5 Pro Max" in 2028 for an extra $300 on top of the PS5 Pro that has even better performance in Minecraft and Fortnite (lolz)
2032… so another 8 years… after being 4 years out already….
Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

onQ123

Could easily happen.

There's almost no point making a new console generation if people are just going to play old generation console games. Maybe Sony will just do a "PS5 Pro Max" in 2028 for an extra $300 on top of the PS5 Pro that has even better performance in Minecraft and Fortnite (lolz)

They think you're talking crazy but if this new Xbox fails out the gate we could easily see PS5 pushed until 2030

Loxus

They think you're talking crazy but if this new Xbox fails out the gate we could easily see PS5 pushed until 2030
That's highly unlikely.
Seem like some of you are forgetting Sony is a hardware company first. They're not going to like selling 10,000 - 100,000 PS5s pre year for 3 years after 2027, they'll release new hardware to gain revenue.

Sony most likely has data that tells them 7 years is when to start a new generation as to gain revenue back from investments.

Like PS4 Pro, PS5 Pro isn't a new generation. Sales are still going to dry up around the 6th year of the PS5 lifespan.

Top Bottom