• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

GymWolf

Gold Member
We can't all be Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem :messenger_beaming:

Housemarque should seriously consider tweaking a couple things. We're not gaming in the age of Ghosts 'n Goblins three lives and you start over anymore. A lot of people are not expecting a $70 Sony exclusive to be so punishing. Lowering the chance for malfunctions after death or permanently adding even 1% protection after each death would go a long way for some people. Even Souls games allow for permanent weapon and character upgrades, summoning, etc. Just a bit of meta-progression could really give this game some legs.
Uh?? Horizon on ultra hard and gow at gimme the god of war (or just hard) are noticeably harder than returnal.

I have like 20 deaths in returnal and i'm almost at the end of the game, the same number (or higher) of deaths were achieved in a single boss fight of those games, so yeah.

Sure if you play at normal you can button mash like in every game.

Last edited:

Dibils2k

Uh?? Horizon on ultra hard and gow at gimme the god of war (or just hard) are noticeably harder than returnal.

I have like 20 deaths in returnal and i'm almost at the end of the game, the same number (or higher) of deaths were achieved in a single boss fight of those games, so yeah.

i mean the thing is, you dont have to do a whole hour of resource gathering when you die in GoW...

eventhough the actual fight might be harder, the consequence for death makes returnal way harder and adds way more pressure

speaking of returnal, i am at point of dropping the game, the 3rd biom enemies are just annoying with the constant red rings and fast rockets

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
i mean the thing is, you dont have to do a whole hour of resource gathering when you die in GoW...

eventhough the actual fight might be harder, the consequence for death makes returnal way harder and adds way more pressure

speaking of returnal, i am at point of dropping the game, the 3rd biom enemies are just annoying with the constant red rings and fast rockets
Oh ok if you out it that way you may be right, so it is more frustrating but not as difficult.

Dude, try to find an hollowseeker with at least waves and the venom or the portal beam, you are gonna melt enemies with that.

Or the rocket launcher with some nice perks.

I breezed through biome 3 with those.

Slikk360

Gameplay looks exciting and cool. The protagonist however looks like absolute garbage. I don't know why the game industry is going intentially making ugly looking characters.
Nothing wrong with the character at all. If you mean ugly because it's not designed with her being exposed or some kind of fan service for you than I don't know what to tell ya. Maybe wait n see if it ends up on pc for mods if you into that kinda thing 🤔😅

saintjules

Gold Member
This game makes me wish the PS5 had quick resume allowing more than one game to be suspended at a time.

The insider from Era said it's coming at some point, but that was shortly after launch of the Consoles. I'd like to think Sony sees the issue surrounding this game and how a 'quick resume' feature is necessary.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Do they released a new patch to fix the bugs introducted by the 1.03 patch??

I can't even connect to the internet to play the challenges or to find the dead bodies if they don't fix this shit.

Slikk360

The problem here is that for many people this can be the first roguelite or bullet hell game. Obviously you should do some research before purchasing stuff, but I can understand people being upset.

Despite the unforgiveness of the genre Returnal is representing I think the devs should offer more to keep the player motivated and coming back. There's not enough perm upgrades available for future attempts and many runs end without finding or learning anything new (partially also because of the RNG being very unfair sometimes).
That guy was straight raging on stream about sony and everything else it was sad to see. saying game is trash gamers were lied too 1080p all kinda stuff. I was in the chat n got blocked 😆. He's playing horrible and trying to be rambo like he's on cod doesn't take his time to clear one area at a time. I can understand about a quit n save tho for a run.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The insider from Era
Michael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Do they released a new patch to fix the bugs introducted by the 1.03 patch??

I can't even connect to the internet to play the challenges or to find the dead bodies if they don't fix this shit.
Supposed to be released today. No download as of yet. Patch notes should follow.

We have victory! First boss down. All it took was me levelling up my weapons really high with the cheat. This was totally possible with normal grinding, it's just after stay up super late and losing a bunch of runs, I didn't mind using that cheat. Besides you still have to earn those level ups. Onto the rest of the game. At this point the combat is super duper satisfying.

Also is it me or do they occasionally spawn you into a biomes where there is no way to get back to your ship?

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Are there any benefits in killing bosses again after you killed them first time? More health, parasites, artifacts, obolites etc? Since I killed Phrike and Ixion I have always skipped them, but I think I'm gonna kill them again if it can power up my build.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Are there any benefits in killing bosses again after you killed them first time? More health, parasites, artifacts, obolites etc? Since I killed Phrike and Ixion I have always skipped them, but I think I'm gonna kill them again if it can power up my build.
yeah the secret collectible after the boss. and 5 ether

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

If you are not to deep into the game you need to kill the first boss again to restore other cubes. Other than that it is just for some of the rewards you have mentioned.

Edit: Or not as Spukc Spukc seems to know more than me. :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

What is your point, exactly? You just described two games with difficulty settings.

GymWolf

Gold Member
What is your point, exactly? You just described two games with difficulty settings.
No.

A lot of triple A games are cakewalk even at the hardest difficulty, and not any sony game is actually challenging at the hardest difficulty.

My point is that yeah, sony games are generally not very challenging but you still have a couple of them that are more challening than returnal.

No.

A lot of triple A games are cakewalk even at the hardest difficulty, and not any sony game is actually challenging at the hardest difficulty.

My point is that yeah, sony games are generally not very challenging but you still have a couple of them that are more challening than returnal.

I recognize that. I don't have a problem with Returnal's difficulty. If you look around the Internet, you will find a ton of people who do. I never said that it was the most difficult game around, but for people who have a hard time with difficult games, it might serve Housemarque well to give them a bit of a bump. This isn't an established franchise, I don't know how well it's sold, etc. I love the game. I hate to see what appears to be a not small group of people missing out on the experience because of a lack of meta-progression.

Pretty sure if you want to know how difficult the game is you can look on the internet and see people saying the game is difficult.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I recognize that. I don't have a problem with Returnal's difficulty. If you look around the Internet, you will find a ton of people who do. I never said that it was the most difficult game around, but for people who have a hard time with difficult games, it might serve Housemarque well to give them a bit of a bump. This isn't an established franchise, I don't know how well it's sold, etc. I love the game. I hate to see what appears to be a not small group of people missing out on the experience because of a lack of meta-progression.
With meta progression you mean progression between runs??

Yeah is the biggest flaw of the game, some of the perks on the weapons that you can unlock are neat but it pales compared to other roguelites.

The story bits being not many and a bit dry are the second biggest flaw, the story is ok but you have very little of it, especially compared to stuff like hades where you get new voiced dialogues even after 200 runs.

Also the malevolency mechanic is pretty broken, nobody experiment because the negatives are most of the times too severe.
Curse of the dead gods does something similar but in a better way imo.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
FTL had two modes at launch. Easy and Normal. Normal gave you fewer currency to spend among a few other minor tweaks.

I think Returnal could have used an Normal mode with more currency drops so you could at least buy all the upgrades available at the shops. I pretty much had to choose between vials and max integrity, and left most other upgrades untouched. Especially on new runs.

I guess there's no shortcut through biome 6 after you die to final boss?

Also, are those squid things in 6 infinite until you kill the bigger guy by them?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I guess there's no shortcut through biome 6 after you die to final boss?

Also, are those squid things in 6 infinite until you kill the bigger guy by them?
I didnt die at the final boss, but from what I could tell, the door to the final boss shouldve been opened and now that you can create platforms by shooting those orbs, it should be a straight shot to the boss, no?

And yes, you have to kill the bigger guy or they keep respawning.

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

I’ve decided this is an arcade game with rogue like elements.

There’s no real meta progression. It’s a coin-op.
So the weapon traits don't count as "real" meta progression in your opinion?

Or the monolith in the beginning which you can feed with ether to unlock new consumables and / or artifacts.

Last edited:

Interfectum

This game makes me wish the PS5 had quick resume allowing more than one game to be suspended at a time.
For sure. It's like Sony went out of their way to shine a spotlight on their system with this game to say "hey guys imagine if we had quick resume shit wouldn't even be a problem."

Bo_Hazem

Banned
absolutely disagree.
The game is already very easy as is for a bullet hell/rogue lite game.

Yes, I kinda find the game a bit easy, especially bosses, due to the roguelike nature of the game. If it had checkpoints and raised the difficulty that would be more satisfying to me. But mid-run saves and some RNG improvements would be better.

From what I see many of these players are good but they feel like they're used to getting hit and regenerate health like all modern games. If someone was familiar and good with the 1990's games he would know how punishing gaming was and you literally brag about beating certain games. One of the worst features in modern games is the Batman vision through walls.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I think I'm done with this game for now. It needs a serious rebalancing of weapons, item drops, malfunctions and parasites for it to be a fair and rewarding experience.

It certainly needs some tinkering with the RNG and the balance. After several runs ruined by lockdown and multiple hard enemy rooms in a row in biome one, I was getting very frustrated. Was up to nearly twenty deaths with only about three runs that got to the boss.

I figured I might as well delete that save and start the game afresh.... and got to boss two, only dying once in the process.

FrankWza

I feel like “lucky” runs results in tougher enemies and bosses and runs where I don’t find shit I have an easier time with combat.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It certainly needs some tinkering with the RNG and the balance. After several runs ruined by lockdown and multiple hard enemy rooms in a row in biome one, I was getting very frustrated. Was up to nearly twenty deaths with only about three runs that got to the boss.

I figured I might as well delete that save and start the game afresh.... and got to boss two, only dying once in the process.
I've been reading this same story over and over in this thread.

What got you suddenly farther? Was it particular "permanent upgrades" or just RNG stuff w/in a run?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I've been reading this same story over and over in this thread.

What got you suddenly farther? Was it particular "permanent upgrades" or just RNG stuff w/in a run?

Totally RNG, in terms of room layout. Some runs had room after room of lockdowns, large mobs, and no healing/ item / weapon pick ups in between. It definitely needs looking at.

It’s weird to have something feel so difficult for a good few hours- and then turn into an absolute cake walk.

Top Bottom