• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roland Garros - The 2015 French Open (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
For what it's worth I think that saying Serena is just faking it is extremely disrespectful towards one of the greatest champions sports has ever seen. Some people just can't handle her power.

Thank goodness that dumb clayray crap is over with. Djokovic showed him a thing or two in the 5th set.

And Serena sure does know how to make a match interesting doesn't she? After being up 2 breaks in the 2nd set, then losing that set, then going down a break in the 3rd, she grits her way to a win. She could realistically get a calendar year slam and tie Steffi's slam record at this year's US Open.

Djokovic will beat Stanimal in 4

IISANDERII

Do people seriously believe that Serena would risk losing to create drama!? Aside from any health issues, it's hard not to play down to your opponent's level.
Competition brings out the best in players, and unfortunately there isn't any real competition for Serena.
It is known. So many people don't understand this, it takes a tremendous amount of concentration to not get bogged down to an opponent 's level and especially so if you're not in tip top fitness.

I still don't see Serena pulling off the calendar slam, though at the end of the day I don't think that is a hug deal. Hopefully she can win at least one more this year.

I am really interested to see whether the messy play she has had during the last two GD's, despite winning, was legit illness or if perhaps at her age, and at this level, feeling unwell in a two week tournament is just what happens.

because there's nothing suspicious about hiding in a panic room when random drug testers drop by your house.

We have 0 evidence that she is.

Either she is doing roids, and we will find out eventually and rightfully disdain the behavior, or she isn't. Either way the pathetic assumptions without evidence are disgusting.

Well the Bryans lost, so the records I mentioned before still stand. Didn't see the match, but the score makes it look like it was great.

Serena winning the French obviously puts her on 20 Slams, 2 behind Steffi Graf, but it also makes her only the second woman to win all 4 Slams 3+ times each in the Open Era (the other is Graf). As a little side note, no woman has ever won the first three Slams of the year and failed to complete the Grand Slam, which, of course, Serena's still on for.

So is Novak Djokovic.

MIMIC

Banned
I still don't see Serena pulling off the calendar slam, though at the end of the day I don't think that is a hug deal. Hopefully she can win at least one more this year.

Serena's definitely a wild card. But the fact that she finally win the Australian Open again after all these years shows that she's definitely in a lot better form.

Also, I didn't realize that she's still on track for another "Serena Slam"

ghstwrld

VBMuuKJ.jpg

62kc2zT.jpg

75nkW5e.jpg

KXUQ4h5.jpg

DfOudfQ.jpg

Steroid + blood doping testing in tennis is a joke, as it is in just about every sport sans maybe baseball.

I just assume most athletes are using some form of PEDs, either
- HGH to cut their injury recovery time in half, or
- EPO to have more stamina.

A legitimate argument can be made that HGH should be legal.
Mark Cuban asked the NBA Board of Governors last year to consider making HGH legal for injury recovery. Willing to fund the necessary clinical studies to ensure player safety himself.
The link below spells it out nicely.
http://regressing.deadspin.com/mark-cuban-is-fighting-to-make-hgh-legal-in-the-nba-1519940977

Oxford Professor Julian Savulescu has made cogent arguments for allowing EPO to be taken within certain limits.
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/06/anti-doping-has-failed-its-time-to-allow-drugs-in-sport/

Rather than fighting an unwinnable war on PEDs, I would prefer HGH and EPO to be allowed within certain limits.
Athletes should have to disclose that they're taking them.
Might be strange at first but eventually sports fans would realize these things aren't the end of the world and that, hey, it's cool that my favorite athlete can get back to 100% 2 months quicker because he's taking HGH. Again, presuming here that it's regulated and properly monitored.

Diamond

Steroid + blood doping testing in tennis is a joke, as it is in just about every sport sans maybe baseball.

I just assume most athletes are using some form of PEDs, either
- HGH to cut their injury recovery time in half, or
- EPO to have more stamina.

Saying most athletes are doing drugs is about as realistic as saying that nobody's taking them.

Rather than fighting an unwinnable war on PEDs, I would prefer HGH and EPO to be allowed within certain limits.
Athletes should have to disclose that they're taking them.
Might be strange at first but eventually sports fans would realize these things aren't the end of the world and that, hey, it's cool that my favorite athlete can get back to 100% 2 months quicker because he's taking HGH. Again, presuming here that it's regulated and properly monitored.

Yeah, great on paper. But the "limits" you're talking about will soon be crossed by guys who can pay proper scientists/doctors to help them do and cover it. As long as there are limits, there's always going to be cheaters.
Plus, if you legalize drugs like EPO and HGH, what about the general public, who hasn't access to proper monitoring ? What will the 10, 15 year old fan think when he sees his role model juicing ? That creates a lot of other problems.

szaromir

Banned
Very disappointed about that final set yesterday. It seems Murray's unable to play tennis once he realizes he's not that far away from beating Djokovic. Shame, the prophesy of Clayray turned out to be false.

Hopefully Stan the Man delivers the goods today.

Very disappointed about that final set yesterday. It seems Murray's unable to play tennis once he realizes he's not that far away from beating Djokovic. Shame, the prophesy of Clayray turned out to be false.

Hopefully Stan the Man delivers the goods today.

Grassray will come good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom