• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effect

I hope Xmen is next.

Galactus rights are then on Marvel right? Please god let it be true.

People keep saying this but the X-men work so much better when it doesn't have to deal with the rest of the Marvel Universe. The disconnect of people loving the Avengers and other heroes while hating mutants is something that has always bothered me and I'm glad we don't have to deal with that. It's the same problem I have with the inHumans push by Marvel. It results in the same disconnect.

Having the TV rights is much more worthwhile to Fox then the Fantastic Four film rights. They just can't seem to stop execs from meddling in crap they have knowledge of . As long as they don't screw with Singer and crew going forward everything should be great for them when it comes to the X-men.

Cheebo

Banned
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 will be a backdoor to introduce the FF. Calling it.
Seriously man, all we have is a single fan site speculation. You are getting waaaaaay ahead of yourself. We have abosolutely no indication from any sort of legitimate outlet whatsoever that such a deal has been struck or anywhere close to being struck.

Experien

I just looked at the box office numbers. Only DOFP did impressive numbers: $748 million. That's the highest grossing film, too. That's less than Guardians of the Galaxy. The first two X-Men movies, First Class movie, Wolverine Origins did worse than... Ant-Man.

As a comic book fan that grew up reading and collecting, I really dislike these damn movies, save for the one with Kevin Bacon. Hugh Jackman giving up Wolverine is great news. Maybe now we'll get the correct size dude that will put on the damn suit. At least the iconic mask. Though, The Wolverine movie wasn't too bad.

The first 2 X movies were before Super Heroes was the hot ticket. Had they released now, I bet their numbers would've been different. Origins and X3 ruined the brand so First Class didn't do as well cause it had bad press to it but still did quite well. It is like what the next Fantastic Four movie has to do, be AMAZING so enough people will see it to make word of mouth say, "you need to see this." By that time, it will be on Bluray like 1st Class so lack of ticket sales.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
All we have is speculation from a single fan site, no indication of this whatsoever yet.

I'm guessing that the unnamed MCU films Marvel announced in the Ant-Man and the Wasp press release will have at least one FF film, and that an official announcement is imminent, similar to the Sony/Spider-Man announcement.

Majanew

Banned
and Kang the Conquerer. And Galactus. And alot of Cosmic Marvel.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3 will be a backdoor to introduce the FF. Calling it.

But we need Doom and Surfer to show up for Thanos. And I need Thanos to go whoop Galactus when he has the infinity gauntlet on. :(

Bishop89

Well, then Galactus is the big bad after Thanos. Fuck yes.

Galactus, or cloudactus!
Galactus_Cloud.jpg

marrec

Banned
But the brand is tainted, are people really going to want to watch another FF reboot?

The best part about Marvel is they realize you don't need to do an origin story to introduce new character to the universe. No need for a full craptastic reboot, just introduce the Four through the next few movies, introduce some villains here and there as well, and then give them their own movie down the line without having to set up any kind of reason for them to be in existence.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Victor von Doom was a scientist who was badly wounded in the Battle of Sokovia harboring a hatred against the Avengers and superheros in general. He salvages the Ultron drones and uses them to take over Sokovia, renaming it Latveria.

giphy.gif

Garlador

PLEASE be true.

I'm not typically one given to false hopes, but the signs are positive.

For those that don't know (but should), the Fantastic Four rights contain FAR more than just the team and Dr. Doom.

But, yes, we NEED Doom...

Forget Thanos. Doom is the real deal. And he taps into every facet of the Marvel universe, from the technological (vs. Iron Man in "Armor Wars") to the political (vs. Black Panther and Namor) to the mystical (vs. Doctor Strange) to the cosmic (vs. Silver Surfer) to even the street level (vs. Spider-man and Luke Cage). His reach, and relevance, is greater than any other Marvel villain.

But, more importantly for these rights, they contain the REST of the Fantastic Four's exceptional cast.

While Marvel reacquired some rights, the majority were still out of their hands. We're talking Super Skrull, Kang the Conquerer, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Annihilus, etc.

And for Marvel's successful COSMIC side, that means a helluva lot of good news if true.

PLEASE be true.

Biochet

does marvel own the beyonder?

can phase 4 be all about supervillians that will culminate in a secret wars(1984) crossover?

Majanew

Banned
thanos has jobbed and bumbled through the last like what 6 films? big deal my arse, his right hand man was destroyed by the power of friendship!

Thanos gives no shits. He killed everyone in the universe and then grew so bored, he undid his conquering. They've already been killed. He's coming back to do it again.

iamblades

Seriously man, all we have is a single fan site speculation. You are getting waaaaaay ahead of yourself. We have abosolutely no indication from any sort of legitimate outlet whatsoever that such a deal has been struck or anywhere close to being struck.

The described deal is completely logical for both sides though. Fox gets to dump a property that has done nothing but lose them money while strengthening the one that they have been successful with. Marvel expands their options exponentially and only has to give up rights that they were unlikely to use anyway.

It's about as simple as a business deal can get, both sides effectively get something for nothing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
People keep saying this but the X-men work so much better when it doesn't have to deal with the rest of the Marvel Universe. The disconnect of people loving the Avengers and other heroes while hating mutants is something that has always bothered me and I'm glad we don't have to deal with that. It's the same problem I have with the inHumans push by Marvel. It results in the same disconnect.

Having the TV rights is much more worthwhile to Fox then the Fantastic Four film rights. They just can't seem to stop execs from meddling in crap they have knowledge of . As long as they don't screw with Singer and crew going forward everything should be great for them when it comes to the X-men.
Mind that the disconnect is intentional – it's supposed to be arbitrary because bigotry doesn't make sense. Discovering that a friend with superpowers is a mutant and pushing them away isn't that far off from when someone finds out a childhood friend is gay and shuns them for it. It doesn't change who the person is, but bigots still think it does. It's all about long-term propaganda and preconceived notions affecting people's perceptions.

I also don't think the MCU needs mutants at the moment though. There's too much on the plate already.

I don't expect there to be a f4 movie within the next 10 years. I think they'll just use the villains with at best a cameo of the 4. If they do make a movie within a decade I don't think it will do well.

yes you can post this in a notepad

I don't think this rumor is true though.

ElRenoRaven

Yea saw this news this morning. If true I'm ok with it. While I hate that mutants can't appear in the Marvel movies I find that Fox actually does alright with them. I'd much more prefer Fantastic Four to be with Marvel as that would mean Doom, etc would be back in Marvel's control.

ash_ag

I expected Phase Four to be all about Inhumans. With Inhumanity having basically already happened in SHIELD through Fish Oil® and Fantastic Four potentially coming back, now I wonder if we'll even see the royal family in the MCU. I don't want AoS to become Inhumans: The Show, but they have to appear somewhere, don't they?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I expected Phase Four to be all about Inhumans. With Inhumanity having basically already happened in SHIELD through Fish Oil® and Fantastic Four potentially coming back, now I wonder if we'll even see the royal family in the MCU. I don't want AoS to become Inhumans: The Show, but they have to appear somewhere, don't they?

I dont think the Inhumans movie will feature some B & C-List Inhumans and not Black Bolt and co.

In your opinion. I loved Ultron. Whedon nailed the character.

I'll take an MCU Doom done as well as Ultron any day.
If by "nailed the character" you mean "turned him into a Buffy villain."

As for this news about FF, I will wait for a reputable source before getting excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom