• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Four: Reign of DOOM

Origin story in the opening credits, Incredible Hulk-style, then just balls-to-the-wall Doom vs FF action

Tobor

If by "nailed the character" you mean "turned him into a Buffy villain."

As for this news about FF, I will wait for a reputable source before getting excited.

It was the Ultron I expected. He had daddy issues, acted like a toddler emotionally, and lost due to hubris.

Not sure what you wanted, but that was the essence of the character as I remember him.

Has he been portrayed different ways over the years in comics? Sure. But the version in the movie is the most interesting, IMO.

Back on topic. Can they squeeze the Silver in in time for Infinity War?

Lothars

If by "nailed the character" you mean "turned him into a Buffy villain."

As for this news about FF, I will wait for a reputable source before getting excited.
If by nailed the character it means that he was a great villian.

It was the Ultron I expected. He had daddy issues, acted like a toddler emotionally, and lost due to hubris.

Not sure what you wanted, but that was the essence of the character as I remember him.

Has he been portrayed different ways over the years in comics? Sure. But the version in the movie is the most interesting, IMO.

Back on topic. Can they squeeze the Silver in in time for Infinity War?
I agree I thought he was a good potrayal of ultron.

Jeremy

I know I'm stretching for a joke here but can we get Megyn Kelly to play Invisible Woman? just keep it all in house

ash_ag

I dont think the Inhumans movie will feature some B & C-List Inhumans and not Black Bolt and co.

That's what I'm saying. Isn't the Inhumans franchise something like "Fantastic Four meets X-Men"? Obviously, the Inhumans movie will (would?) be about the royal family, but if they already have Fantastic Four, will they still go for that?

I'm just saying that Inhumans are becoming a pretty common thing in the MCU, and if the Inhumans movie loses its "family of super heroes" feel in addition to the already lost "Mutant-esque" feel, will they still do the movie?

Not that it can't work even without novelties, but I'm curious if they'd release it opposite F4.

Patryn

If this has happened, I wonder how long an announcement from Marvel would take.

I'd guess until the Fantastic Four movie has been out on On Demand and Blu-Ray for a while.

I suspect Fox wants to attempt to wring as much money out of it before it's made clear to people that it was a failed franchise-starting film.

Dumb. They should have let Fox keep F4 and got X-Men back instead. F4 sucks.

As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, FF4 themselves are only a part of the reason this rumored acquisition is beneficial. It's the vast swath of other characters that make this such good news. Fox had many of the best parts of cosmic Marvel wrapped up in the FF4 rights.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Dumb. They should have let Fox keep F4 and got X-Men back instead. F4 sucks.

It's adorable you believe Fox would just give away away one of their most successfully film franchises, one that makes them millions and millions of dollars with each new film, as opposed to a film franchise which has totally bombed and nearly lost them money.

How nice of them to put sugar in the tank before giving the car back. Fox would never try again and how long will Marvel have to wait before doing a stand alone movie? I can't imagine they just throw the FF into infinity at a whim.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How nice of them to put sugar in the tank before giving the car back. Fox would never try again and how long will Marvel have to wait before doing a stand alone movie? I can't imagine they just throw the FF into infinity at a whim.

Just introduced the characters in other movies.

The villains are more exciting anyway

They shoulf give them a stand alone and push back Ms Marvel and Black Panther.

F4 sucks.
Lol.
I'd guess until the Fantastic Four movie has been out on On Demand and Blu-Ray for a while.

I suspect Fox wants to attempt to wring as much money out of it before it's made clear to people that it was a failed franchise-starting film.
Yeah, that makes the most sense.
Well, Ultron was made from Tony Stark instead of Hank Pym, so Ultron got the smartass wit of Stark.
Should've just based it on Banner's mind.

Anth0ny

I'm sure Feige also snuck some fine print into the deal

"Also Wolverine and Magneto get to appear in Avengers 3"

Feige you sly devil you

Slayven

As has been mentioned numerous times in this thread, FF4 themselves are only a part of the reason this rumored acquisition is beneficial. It's the vast swath of other characters that make this such good news. Fox had many of the best parts of cosmic Marvel wrapped up in the FF4 rights.
Fox has the most known aspects of cosmic Marvel, the best? Highly debatable

Is there really any interest left in a Fantastic Four movie?

FOX have destroyed it at this point. I guess Marvel could use certain characters to buffer their own MCU, but FF as a movie franchise seems dead to me at this point.

Patryn

Fox has the most known aspects of cosmic Marvel, the best? Highly debatable

Marvel has the GotG, Kree and the Skrulls (except Super-Skrull), along with Quasar and Captain Marvel.

Fox has Annihilus, the Shi'ar, Galactus, and Silver Surfer.

I'd suggest it's kind of a split.

Huh. I checked the wikipedia page for the film before I posted and it says it made 40 million more than it's budget. Obviously I need better sources.

Fox doesn't get the whole box office take. They have to split it with theaters.

In addition, they likely spent another $100 million marketing it.

Anth0ny

FOX have destroyed it at this point. I guess Marvel could use certain characters to buffer their own MCU, but FF as a movie franchise seems dead to me at this point.

Marvel will market it as a MCU Fantastic Four movie. It would also come out in 2020 at the absolute earliest, probably long enough for everyone to forget about the shitty Fox F4 movies.

Plus, I'm sure Doom and Surfer will pop up in MCU films in phase 3. Getting some of those characters is what really makes this deal worth it.

If done well all they need is 5 years for people to forget that shitstain of an attempt

The movie wasn't even big enough to hit most people's radars they're not going to care in 2020 that Fox tried and failed

Slayven

Marvel has the GotG, Kree and the Skrulls (except Super-Skrull), along with Quasar and Captain Marvel.

Fox has Annihilus, the Shi'ar, Galactus, and Silver Surfer.

I'd suggest it's kind of a split.
Marvel has celestials, Elders of the universe, Magnus, Genis, Phylla, and so much more

I'm sure Feige also snuck some fine print into the deal

"Also Wolverine and Magneto get to appear in Avengers 3"

Feige you sly devil you

Hugh Jackman da gawd appearing in avengers would be a bigger deal for me than literally anybody else at this point (aside from Tobey maguire lol)

i doubt this news is true but if it is then it's cool they get doom, they'll do a better job than has been done so far but considering their own track record with villains he won't be as great as people are hoping either. It feels like villain of the week stuff at marvel for the most part

Blader

So if it's in 2020 that means it's probably opening phase 4, right? I'd be alright with that.

Well it'd be one of those first ones if it's 2020. I doubt they'd make it literally the first though; they're more likely to lead off with a guaranteed money maker, like Guardians 3 (which could lend itself to a post-credits scene backdoor piloting the FF though).

Marvel will market it as a MCU Fantastic Four movie. It would also come out in 2020 at the absolute earliest, probably long enough for everyone to forget about the shitty Fox F4 movies.

Plus, I'm sure Doom and Surfer will pop up in MCU films in phase 3. Getting some of those characters is what really makes this deal worth it.

If done well all they need is 5 years for people to forget that shitstain of an attempt

The movie wasn't even big enough to hit most people's radars they're not going to care in 2020 that Fox tried and failed

Very good points.

It would be pretty sweet to see DD and SS pop up in phase 3 and then maybe have their own movies.

Silver Surfer especially would be pretty great for phase 4, if they've got the rights to Galactus too.

Showaddy

Please be true. Even just the support characters alone would be amazing...

latest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom