• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

Exactly why I made the dumb joke I made. They were bankrupt...of intelligence. /cymbal crash

Allowing the deal to expire only if they stop making movies is in perpetuity, as shown by Fox releasing trash into theaters this summer. If a new deal isn't made, they'll release more trash to keep the original deal intact. And on and on.

I don't care if these characters were worth a billion dollars or five bucks at the time. You don't sign a deal that gives away rights with no finite end. It's bad business, period.

That is how all film adaptation rights are sold for any written work. If you don't like it no studio would do business with you and you don't get a penny for the rights.

That's really stupid business.

Azih

I don't care if these characters were worth a billion dollars or five bucks at the time. You don't sign a deal that gives away rights with no finite end. It's bad business, period.

So in 1999 Marvel Studios looks around and says "Hey guys Blade did pretty well and BATMAN right? Who wants to buy our IP for a one film deal?"

*crickets*

"Ten year deal?"

*crickets*

"Alright how about until you stop making the films?"

*Bidding starts and they get something like 10 mill a year for films that take two or three years to make and gross about two hundred mill max worldwide*

Tobor

That is how all film adaptation rights are sold for any written work. If you don't like it no studio would do business with you and you don't get a penny for the rights.

That's really stupid business.

Then why are Sony's rights to James Bond set to expire after Spectre?

We can actually get Galactus looking like Galactus in this.

Fits right into GoTG since they introduced celestial beings.

latest

4042876-who_will_stop_galactus__by_shangraf_srh-d4i37rv.png

Tobor

So in 1999 Marvel Studios looks around and says "Hey guys Blade did pretty well and BATMAN right? Who wants to buy our IP for a one film deal?"

*crickets*

"Ten year deal?"

*crickets*

"Alright how about until you stop making the films?"

*Bidding starts and they get something like 10 mill a year for films that take two or three years to make and gross about two hundred mill max worldwide*

You're assuming the rights were worthless without the perpetuity clause. I'm assuming they were worth plenty.

This is where we agree to disagree.

Garlador

They don't need to.

Everything is leading to Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet.

There's no need to muck it up with more villains. (or heroes for that fact)

Nonsense. You can't "muck up" anything with a good dose of DOOM.

Though, honestly, I think more people are wanting/expecting Doom to be the new main villain AFTER Thanos, if Marvel did indeed get the rights back.

Azih

You're assuming the rights were worthless without the perpetuity clause. I'm assuming they were worth plenty.

This is where we agree to disagree.

Sure. The attractiveness of comic book IP in 1999/2000 is what I'm using to bolster my argument but I'm fine to agree to disagree.

gazele

Banned
Please please please be true

Mostly for villains, and cosmic stuff

Also I'm perfectly fine with the trade

I've always felt that X-men should be in a separate universe

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
While the rumor is fresh, i hope Hugh Jackman is using this opportunity to push things to happen.

"Look fox this is my last time as wolverine. But i may stick around for a couple more movies if i get to appear in MCU in some form".

Not really putting much faith into this though. Sounds too good to be true, and james gunn said f4 movie right returning to marvel isnt happening anything soon.

Penguin

While the rumor is fresh, i hope Hugh Jackman is using this opportunity to push things to happen.

"Look fox this is my last time as wolverine. But i may stick around for a couple more movies if i get to appear in MCU in some form".

Not really putting much faith into this though. Sounds too good to be true, and james gunn said f4 movie right returning to marvel isnt happening anything soon.

No idea what the X-Men have to do with this, not even on the table in the discussion right now.

DrArchon

I've always felt that X-men should be in a separate universe

This. It never made any sense to me why so many people in the Marvel world celebrated guys like Spiderman but hated all the "muties". I mean, average people don't know how Spidey got his powers. He could be a mutant for all they know, but they love him and treat him like a hero while mutants are reviled.

Makes no sense.

This is a huge rumor that Den of Geek is staking the reputation of their site on. If it is wrong, or if they made it up just for hits, then they may very well damage their reputation and never be taken seriously, which also means lost revenue from future story clicks, as no one will go to the site to read them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Please be true.

Also hilarious that some in this thread still believe the FF aren't one of the GOATs.
Comic Movie Threads, what do you expect? 75% of the people in those threads think they are comic experts because they saw a bunch of movies.

. Sounds too good to be true, and james gunn said f4 movie right returning to marvel isnt happening anything soon.
Of course. Because you dont confirm stuff that is only in negotions.

Busty

Banned
This is a huge rumor that Den of Geek is staking the reputation of their site on. If it is wrong, or if they made it up just for hits, then they may very well damage their reputation and never be taken seriously, which also means lost revenue from future story clicks, as no one will go to the site to read them.

If this proves false everyone, in 48 hours, will A) have forgotten what site originated the rumour and/or B) rush back to said site at a moments notice if they have some other tenuous piece of gossip because the Internet's appetite for anything remote linked to superhero gossip is unquenchable, it's like fucking catnip to the great unwashed masses.

Penguin

That's cute if you think people stop visiting sites when they post false rumors...

Like people will be less likely to believe them, but we still have people who frequent Bleeding Cool!

God, how I wish it worked that way.

If even the likes of ComicBookMovie and MoviePilot are still around...

ryan299

Faraci from BMD (Badass Digest was a better name) just said on twitter that this report comes off as too much wish fulfillment and he's not a believer.

Frosty from Collider also says he's 100% sure Marvel has no regained the rights.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
That's cute if you think people stop visiting sites when they post false rumors...

Like people will be less likely to believe them, but we still have people who frequent Bleeding Cool!

Hell, most of us just read Twitter and won't even care what the original sauce is
:p

Dalek

Please be true.

Also hilarious that some in this thread still believe the FF aren't one of the GOATs.

10/10 post. And the FF aren't one of the GOAT-they are THE GOAT.

Faraci from BMD (Badass Digest was a better name) just said on twitter that this report comes off as too much wish fulfillment and he's not a believer.

Frosty from Collider also says he's 100% sure Marvel has no regained the rights.

:(

So you think a made up story that will provide a temporary boost to their site is better than an actual real story that will not only give them that temporary boost, but will give them lots of cred and grow their audience over the long term? I'm sure people will still visit the site the next time they make up a huge rumor, however every time they do it, their readership will shrink more and more. Not a viable way to sustain a business.

Den of Geek just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Super Hero Movie culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in musicals where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over with fake clickbait rumors, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the click baited public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to visit Den of Geek for any articles, nor will they believe any of Den of Geeks rumors. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Den of Geek has alienated an entire market with this move.

Den of Geek, publicly apologize and retract the article or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Penguin

So you think a made up story that will provide a temporary boost to their site is better than an actual real story that will not only give them that temporary boost, but will give them lots of cred and grow their audience over the long term? I'm sure people will still visit the site the next time the make up a huge rumor, however every time they do it, their readership will shrink more and more. Not a viable way to sustain a business.

That's not what you said nor I said

I'm saying that true or false, no one really "blacklists" a site based on how accurate their rumors are or... how good their writing it

There are a crap ton of sites that post nothing but junk rumors but remain in circulation because people know their name.

I think Father_Brain pointed out two. I'm fairly certain most people don't believe Bleeding Cool, but a top site for a lot of people. I have my qualms with them, but Latino-Review has been mixed.

The long and shot of it, is it hurts their cred with a small fraction of people, but not enough where it will do any damage to em really.

And Devin's logic is sound...

The premise of this rumor is that Fox handed a potential billion dollar movie to a rival for a couple of TV shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom