• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Marvel have struck a deal with Fox for Fantastic Four film rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone already corrected him.

Is this more accurate?

A little. "To make a quick buck" is a strange distinction, though. They sold them because they had them to sell. There was really nothing more to it than that. No desperation involved, no bankruptcy forcing their hand. They sold them as a basic course of action because that was part of what their business did.

edit: whoops. Missed Pai Pai Master's response. He pretty much got it in one. Sorry man, I shoulda been reading closer

Tobor

That's not fair. This all happened in 1999/2000. Before Spiderman and the first Xmen movie become smash hits.

They signed deals in perpetuity and now have to negotiate to get their own characters back. It was a dumb decision.

The exciting thing here if this is true is that they'd start publishing the Fantastic Four comic again. I don't really care about anything else.

They're going to do this regardless of what happens with movie rights. They're just giving FF a break right now because properties like GOTG have become hot, and they don't seem to have a creative team that can do something new and exciting with FF yet.

Cheebo

Banned
Why anyone was willing to even believe speculation from a random fan site makes no sense to begin with. Sometimes I am convinced all anyone here does is read headlines and react and reply to just that.

Dalek

x-files-i-want-to-believe-poster1.jpg

Hagi

Everyone is so happy about Doom and Galactus but all I care about is about dat Norrin Radd. MCU villains are just generic representations from the comics so a serviceable at best Doom does nothing for me. Maybe how they deal with Thanos in Infinity War will change my mind.

Blader

Also, I do like the difference between this and the Inhumans thread, people were right in questioning the sourcing on that one, but people want this to be true even though I don't know of many (any?) story that was broken by Den of Geek, but I don't know them as rumor-mongering either so

It's easy to question Bleeding Cool's Inhumans story when their movie scoops have been predominantly lies to begin with. :p

Penguin

Why anyone was willing to even believe speculation from a random fan site makes no sense to begin with. Sometimes I am convinced all anyone here does is read headlines and react and reply to just that.

People want it to be true so anything pointing in that direction will be taken more easily.

If some site came out tomorrow and said, FOX and Marvel have closed the door on any future FF negotiations, I'm assured a lot more people would be skeptical of the news. Checking sources and site's history and waiting for further confirmation.

Cheebo

Banned
It's easy to question Bleeding Cool's Inhumans story when their movie scoops have been predominantly lies to begin with. :p
Den of Geek is less popular and less known for breaking news than Bleeding Cool though.

Makes no sense to trust DoG more.

Also, I do like the difference between this and the Inhumans thread, people were right in questioning the sourcing on that one, but people want this to be true even though I don't know of many (any?) story that was broken by Den of Geek, but I don't know them as rumor-mongering either so
I can give you two reasons for that.

1) Rich Johnston

2) Rich Johnston

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ah, a he said/she said duel of the sources. Collider is usually pretty good but that their source seems to think Fox always retained the X-Men tv rights -- when we know Fox themselves said just the opposite -- makes me dubious.

Agreed. All the previous reports indicated that Fox was trying to obtain the X-Men TV rights from Marvel/Disney.

Everyone is so happy about Doom and Galactus but all I care about is about dat Norrin Radd. MCU villains are just generic representations from the comics so a serviceable at best Doom does nothing for me. Maybe how they deal with Thanos in Infinity War will change my mind.

Yup, the cosmic portion of the mcu always felt incomplete without the surfer.

Azih

They signed deals in perpetuity and now have to negotiate to get their own characters back. It was a dumb decision.

These properties weren't hot stuff by any means in 1999. No one could have predicted then that comic book movies would become record beating blockbusters on a thrice annual basis. That was the era of films like The Mummy and Will Smith flicks and blockbusters were driven by popular actors not which obscure comic book property they were based on.

Patryn

If it's true I hope we see Kang as the big bad for Phase 4-6 like Thanos is now

Wouldn't Marvel already have the rights to Kang? Isn't he most notable as an Avengers villain?

Sure, maybe his backstory would have to be changed a bit, but that's for the best. You start talking about Immortus and time loops and whatnot and you'll lose the audience.

Penguin

I can give you two reasons for that.

1) Rich Johnston

2) Rich Johnston

While I don't disagree, I can also point to times where they were in the ball park.

I mean honestly if anyone can point me to Den of Geek going out on a limb with a major story, I'd settle for that.

I post a TON of comic book rumors on here, but they all tend to come from the same handful of sources.

Okay.... Tracking Board is still up in the air!

Wouldn't Marvel already have the rights to Kang? Isn't he most notable as an Avengers villain?

Sure, maybe his backstory would have to be changed a bit, but that's for the best. You start talking about Immortus and time loops and whatnot and you'll lose the audience.

He's in the FF rights due to his convoluted origin. I'm sure they can streamline his backstory and make it work.

DrArchon

Please for the love of God let this be true. I can't handle seeing Fox throw more money at another piece of shit FF movie that they clearly don't give two shits about. I don't even care if Marvel doesn't make their own FF movie. Just use the characters for some cameos and that'll be fine for me. Just... no more trash movies.

While I don't disagree, I can also point to times where they were in the ball park.

I mean honestly if anyone can point me to Den of Geek going out on a limb with a major story, I'd settle for that.

I post a TON of comic book rumors on here, but they all tend to come from the same handful of sources.

Okay.... Tracking Board is still up in the air!

Not that his story was to be believed but at the very least he has broken news before. As far as I can recall Den of Geek has NO track record of doing so and no site or source is backing them up on this.
Fair enough. I'm not very familiar with Den of Geek, I usually stick with THR and Variety.

Tobor

These properties weren't hot stuff by any means in 1999. No one could have predicted then that comic book movies would become record beating blockbusters on a thrice annual basis. That was the era of films like The Mummy and Will Smith flicks and blockbusters were driven by popular actors not which obscure comic book property they were based on.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have made a deal. I'm saying they shouldn't have made a deal in perpetuity.

It's common sense. You set a time frame for a deal like this to expire so you can renegotiate for the rights when the deal expires, or in this case take the rights back.

You don't sign away the rights forever. It's a stupid decision.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have made a deal. I'm saying they shouldn't have made a deal in perpetuity.

It's common sense. You set a time frame for a deal like this to expire so you can renegotiate for the rights when the deal expires, or in this case take the rights back.

Yeah I don't think anyone is saying Marvel made the right call back then. It just wasn't made out of desperation like the previously accepted narrative.

Azih

Well it's not in perpetuity, the deal is that if the studios stop making movies (or I'm sure start putting out low production value garbage) then the rights will revert.

In 1999 they wouldn't have gotten very much money at all for comic book movies if that sort of clause wasn't there. And it would have been a good deal if comic book movies didn't suddenly start making billions of dollars. If comic book movies had stayed at the Blade Level then these would have been pretty great deals for Marvel and Disney wouldn't have given enough of a shit to buy them.

Anth0ny

That's......actually a good point. But that was HitFix.

Entertainment Weekly replied to the story:

Will Spidey be joining Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, and Black Widow on the big screen in the near future? No. Sources on both sides confirm that much. But a few years from now… that’s a possibility, at least according to EW’s sources. (Official reps for the two studios both declined to comment.)

But that’s the extent of it: possibility.

the deal was officially announced like 4 months later. I find it hard to believe that they weren't working on a deal at that point. I seem to recall a Civil War film being made was also leaked at the same time... obviously Marvel Studios was very leaky at the time.

Patryn

Well it's not in perpetuity, the deal is that if the studios stop making movies (or I'm sure start putting out low production value garbage) then the rights will revert.

In 1999 they wouldn't have gotten very much money at all for comic book movies if that sort of clause wasn't there. And it would have been a good deal if comic book movies didn't suddenly start making billions of dollars. If comic book movies had stayed at the Blade Level then these would have been pretty great deals for Marvel and Disney wouldn't have given enough of a shit to buy them.

Actually, ironically, Marvel put that clause in there to help THEM.

They spent most of the '70s with the movie rights to their characters being held by companies who did absolutely nothing with them, so after some companies folded and they got the rights back and resold them, they made sure to add that clause because they felt it would force companies to actually produce SOMETHING.

For instance, think about how long Spider-man was in limbo before the Sam Raimi movies.

They basically never pictured a future in which they'd want to make the movies themselves.

HawkeyeIC

Fox wouldn't have made the deal without the perpetuity clause in it.

Sephzilla

Let Marvel have FF and let X-Men stay at Fox. The only X-Man I really want to see in the MCU anyway is Hugh Jackman Wolverine so maybe they can work out some mutual deal for that.

Azih

what's this phase talk? i am unfamilar with how it works?

All the movies before a big crossover are a phase. So Iron Man 1, Iron Man 2, Thor 1, Captain America 1, and the Incredible Hulk (lol), led up to The Avengers and that was Phase 1. All the movies after till Age of Ultron were Phase 2 (Ant man is in Phase 2 as well).

Actually, ironically, Marvel put that clause in there to help THEM.

They spent most of the '70s with the movie rights to their characters being held by companies who did absolutely nothing with them, so after some companies folded and they got the rights back and resold them, they made sure to add that clause because they felt it would force companies to actually produce SOMETHING.

For instance, think about how long Spider-man was in limbo before the Sam Raimi movies.

They basically never pictured a future in which they'd want to make the movies themselves.

Thanks.

There's a lot about why Marvel did things before Marvel Studios became MARVEL STUDIOS that people just kinda guess at, and sounds good enough, so it gets repeated, and nobody actually questions it.

As always, I suggest people go out and grab up Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe. Really, REALLY well researched book.

Tobor

Yeah I don't think anyone is saying Marvel made the right call back then. It just wasn't made out of desperation like the previously accepted narrative.

Exactly why I made the dumb joke I made. They were bankrupt...of intelligence. /cymbal crash

Allowing the deal to expire only if they stop making movies is in perpetuity, as shown by Fox releasing trash into theaters this summer. If a new deal isn't made, they'll release more trash to keep the original deal intact. And on and on.

I don't care if these characters were worth a billion dollars or five bucks at the time. You don't sign a deal that gives away rights with no finite end. It's bad business, period.

Spinluck

I hope Xmen is next.

Galactus rights are then on Marvel right? Please god let it be true.

Fox has had a ton of success with the X-Men so I doubt this happens.

FF on the other hand, I'm pretty sure everyone predicted something like this. Like to the extent of TASM2 or even better as far as Marvel actually owning the movie rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom