• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

midnightAI

Exactly the point you guys missed. His intentions are nothing but to instigate people and farm points over social media.

Wow "If you don't like it, don't buy it". Whats next, 2+2=4?

I would rather explain the reasons for why the choice of character and re-affirm that the guys who love the first one will definetivelly love the second one. And if you don't like hey thats perfectly fine. But even so I would like to say to give a chance to the game, that you're in for a treat and definitivelly not gonna be dissapointed.

This right here is an example of the impression I got from comments like this one:

You mean the audience that is fans of Ghost of Tsushima? Thats the problem right here, you don't go for brownie points to fight against your customers, you talk to them. This ex-ceo sounds more like a twitter dweller or a forum member than actually an ex-ceo.
My point was they aren't his customers, he has zero involvement with Sony anymore so he can say what he likes it doesn't affect this game.

What he's saying with 'dont like it don't buy it' (the way I see it at least) is majority of people complaining about this aren't even interested in the game, they are more interested in the political drama that's being stirred up (most of which is completely ridiculous) instead of talking about the actual game itself, which to me is an absolute shame because it looks amazing.

Saber

My point was they aren't his customers, he has zero involvement with Sony anymore so he can say what he likes it doesn't affect this game.

I know that, hence why he is an ex-ceo. What he said would probably do more damage than actually bring more people together for this game.

Raven117

This is such a childish comment.

Here, let me write some corporate speak (I realize he doesn't work for Sony anymore).

"We are all excited to bring you GoY. Sucker Punch is focused on delivering new and exciting stories that challenges traditional narrative themes. Fans of Sony will be treated to a sprawling Japanese epic. See you in 2025!"

There. Where can I pick up my marketing check?

yogaflame

He is rude. The rainbow flag agenda displayed in his profile of that ex sony executive is already a red flag for again pushing and forcing twisted woke and dei agenda narrative. Was he still with sony when GOT2 started development? That is not good if yes. Okay ,with his argument, so because of choice of “you like it buy it, if not don't buy it” does it give developers entitlement to push and force there agenda and narrative especially if it contains twisted woke agenda especially twisted gender ideology? This way of speaking is what's killing the industry, agenda more important even if the product flop. I don't have any problem with female protagonist as long there is nothing being force or pushing for narratives of twisted DEI or woke agenda especially twisted gender ideology.

Last edited:

seb85

Neo Member
Wasn't EA doing the same claim over Battlefield 5?

Well, after Concord I expected Sony not picking a fight against their playerbase.

Hope they know what are they doing. 400m should be lesson enough.

If you are in the hole, stop digging.
The article is saying former playstation CEO which means he is no longer working with Sony , so they are not Sony words

Mr Moose

"Don't like it? Don't buy it"
"Ok"
"Why aren't you buying my game?"
sylvester-stallone-nope.gif

Natsuko

Should Ubisoft have said the same? 🤔

Hmmm ... Shadows totally turns me off. I can't say the same about GoY. Shadows seems forced in a bad way with a woman and a dark-skinned samurai. Nothing against either, but it seems like checklist diversity. Quota woman, quota person of colour, etc. and we've had tons of AC games that are now just bloated. Tired of it.

GoT was a great game, one of my favourites last gen. And so far we haven't seen much from GoY either. Is Atsu any great samurai at all? Or any at all? Does she fight whole armies of men? The Edo period it's set in leaves a lot of possibilities in completely different directions. Maybe she is an onna-musha. GoT had some interesting characters. So you can expect the developers to come up with more than just an overpowered female samurai! It's not that there were no armed women in Japan in the past. And yes, they also used katanas. So it could well be a plausible character.

Unless he hates Sony now that is a dumb thing to say(maybe he does hate them, I don't know). Does he not follow the fate of all other games that have uttered this? Does he not follow Concord?

If we don't like it we don't play it and lobby others to do the same. That's how it works. We are just getting better at lobbying efforts. Much better.

Next we will be saying to you, if we don't play it, you don't make it. Very simple.

You think we are nothing. Honestly, we are legion. You make videogames. Do it right or we will find someone who will.

That said, I have no problem with a female protag but I do not like the capture person's politics, but as long as they stay far away from the game I'll still buy this one.
This straight up reminds of that we are a society ish from a while back :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Sethbacca

Unless he hates Sony now that is a dumb thing to say(maybe he does hate them, I don't know). Does he not follow the fate of all other games that have uttered this? Does he not follow Concord?

If we don't like it we don't play it and lobby others to do the same. That's how it works. We are just getting better at lobbying efforts. Much better.

Next we will be saying to you, if we don't play it, you don't make it. Very simple.

You think we are nothing. Honestly, we are legion. You make videogames. Do it right or we will find someone who will.

That said, I have no problem with a female protag but I do not like the capture person's politics, but as long as they stay far away from the game I'll still buy this one.
And people think the other site has a monopoly on brainrot.....

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

But what are you complaining about? Just that she’s female?
the problem imo isnt that she is a female, you know, fans of Tsushima ( me included ) wanted a sequel with Jin AND Tomoe ( a woman ) why cant we be mad about it ? why some of you need to make everything about gender wars ?

AND if someone don't want to play as a woman, whats the crime ?

Last edited:
I like the look of the new player character and again, I hope it comes to PC soon after. I don't care about the actress and her veiws, this isn't a biography about them, they are playing a role (obviously it can still be off putting if the person is just a nasty horrible hate filled rat, but from the brief stuff posted here about her, she seems deluded at best. Could be wrong)

That said, when a response is "don't like it, don't buy it," it always gives the impression of big ego, self-importance, and just ignorance. Especially from a former PlayStation executive. Has he not heard of Concord or Dustborn is the last few weeks that had the same attitude of being "the purest form of love and righteousness" while also blaming and HATING everyone else? How did that "don't buy it" attitude go? Get off your high horse and fucking practice what you preach, accept changes to your views. You can learn and grow too, it's not all one way. Stop talking at people and talk with them. So patronising.

People have complained about tons of genuine issues, and it's worked. People are now, seemingly and hopefully it will continue, doing what he asks, not buying it (in the general scheme of things e.g Outlaws, Concord etc). This isn't a good way to communicate with anyone. The issue then switches to "even though he is not working on the game, he has a connection to PlayStation, and if that's his attitude and how he communicates, then i won't buy it." So people refuse to buy the game to say fuck you to him, meanwhile, the game suffers for it for doing nothing wrong (as of now) but being used as a social / political status by no life having attention seekers.

I am looking forward to this game, but I'm already exhausted with both extreme sides being fucking bitches as usual.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
It's in the thread title. That you have to read before you get to the meat and potaters

k0FZrkg.png

Persian_Cat_Room_Guardian_meme_banner.jpg
It happens. People can gloss over words or sentences. Or maybe in this case, read it, then hyperfocus on the last bit of the topic.

I honestly didn’t notice the “(former PlayStation ceo)” when I initially read and posted.

dmaul1114

People are going full retard, proving again and again that both the woke and the anti-woke are mentally ill.
Yes, the actress seems to be super woke... like most goddamn actors? But she's not a writer on the game, she's there to act.

For fuck's sake, I played the entirety of Rise of the Ronin as a chick. Plenty of women as important characters, including warriors. Was the game woke? Did it lecture me about systemic racism and cisheteronormativity? Nope.

The "keep politics out of my games" now see politics everywhere.

So much this. I’ve cut back a ton on gaming forums, subReddits etc. in recent years as pretty much everyone is full of either more woke or anti-woke nonsense than people just enjoying games.

Personally, I couldn’t care less if a protagonist is male or female, gay or straight, ugly or attractive etc. I just play games to have fun so as long as the gameplay is fun and the story (if it’s a game with one) is at least semi-interesting I’m golden.

I just don’t give much of a shit about politics, culture war nonsense etc. in general. I just live my life, try to enjoy it as much as I can and avoid things and people I don’t have fun being around.

Life got a lot better when I started just focusing on what I enjoy and tune out shit I don’t enjoy. Vast majority of all that nonsense has zero impact on me, and I have no power to change anything anyway, so I don’t bother getting all wrapped up in it.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
So much this. I’ve cut back a ton on gaming forums, subReddits etc. in recent years as pretty much everyone is full of either more woke or anti-woke nonsense than people just enjoying games.

Personally, I couldn’t care less if a protagonist is male or female, gay or straight, ugly or attractive etc. I just play games to have fun so as long as the gameplay is fun and the story (if it’s a game with one) is at least semi-interesting I’m golden.

I just don’t give much of a shit about politics, culture war nonsense etc. in general. I just live my life, try to enjoy it as much as I can and avoid things and people I don’t have fun being around.

Life’s got a lot better when I started just focusing on what I enjoy and tune out shit I don’t enjoy. Vast majority of all that nonsense has zero impact on me, and I have no power to change anything anyway, so I don’t bother getting all wrapped up in it.

What is this! Common sense?

we-dont-do-that-here-black-panther.gif

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Life’s got a lot better when I started just focusing on what I enjoy and tune out shit I don’t enjoy. Vast majority of all that nonsense has zero impact on me, and I have no power to change anything anyway, so I don’t bother getting all wrapped up in it.
But do you like Starfield?

Thief1987

Life got a lot better when I started just focusing on what I enjoy and tune out shit I don’t enjoy. Vast majority of all that nonsense has zero impact on me, and I have no power to change anything anyway, so I don’t bother getting all wrapped up in it.
So you are basically living an ostrich live. Put your head in the sand and pretend that nothing happening. Ok.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

You might “not give a shit” but the people working at these games definitely do and this sort of attitude is exactly what they want you to have so they can bludgeon you with their political messaging. They say this openly. It’s their plan. So, ultimately, you’re just okay with being propagandized by them and should just say so. Anyone who thinks that some Sweet Baby or Sweet Baby adjacent people weren’t involved with this game and aren’t still involved with this game is just putting their head in the sand.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You might “not give a shit” but the people working at these games definitely do and this sort of attitude is exactly what they want you to have so they can bludgeon you with their political messaging. They say this openly. It’s their plan. So, ultimately, you’re just okay with being propagandized by them and should just say so. Anyone who thinks that some Sweet Baby or Sweet Baby adjacent people weren’t involved with this game and aren’t still involved with this game is just putting their head in the sand.
I think the Japanese consultants they use carry a much bigger weight. But, we shall see.

I'm still all in on the game until they prove otherwise.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
the problem imo isnt that she is a female, you know, fans of Tsushima ( me included ) wanted a sequel with Jin AND Tomoe ( a woman ) why cant we be mad about it ? why some of you need to make everything about gender wars ?

AND if someone don't want to play as a woman, whats the crime ?
If that’s the case, why can’t people question you? Why are you so defensive over a simple question? Same principle.

And the irony of calling it “gender wars” when the very people complaining are doing just that. The rest of us couldn’t give two shits as long as the game is good!

Last edited:
Top Bottom