• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Danjin44 Danjin44 I agree with you 100%, I actually enjoyed Aloy somewhat in the original game as halfway through the game it seems like she had to start building allies and realizing she couldn't do everything herself.

In the first game it made sense to be a loner because that's how she had been raised, shunned and banished and it seemed like actual growth when she started accepting others.

The sequel genuinely put me off, I've yet to finish it because suddenly all the alliances and so forth from the first game seem to just be shunned so Aloy can just go fight by herself and be the hero.

And yes I've always found her to have the personality of toast lol.

Fun game though
I played first Horizon and I really didn't liked that game and I really tried even beat the main story but didn't bother with DLC or the sequel.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
I'm not interested in this game because I wasn't fan of original game but people skipping the game over female protagonist? What?

NONE of these games accurate to the history and even original game was mostly try to be Kurosawa film rather than trying to accurate to the history.

Even Sekiro which takes place in sengoku era instead of fantasy world like FROM pervious games, have some crazy powerful female characters.
I'm just saying there's an interesting story to be told if they actually consider that she is female and females had a different experience than males in this era in Japan (well, they still do today).

LMJ

I'm just saying there's an interesting story to be told if they actually consider that she is female and females had a different experience than males in this era in Japan (well, they still do today).
This, hopefully this is the way if they have to have gendered writing it is done, no gamer worth their salt is going to complain if it results in a well-written character with a great story.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have no faith in that, I personally found original GoT story not all interesting and I'm pretty sure they gonna go with most boring way to do "strong female lead" in here.

Tams

Jim Carrey Ok GIF

Just like how I didn't buy Battlefield V, and wasn't and still aren't going to buy AC: Shadows.

vkbest

Wasn't EA doing the same claim over Battlefield 5?

Well, after Concord I expected Sony not picking a fight against their playerbase.

Hope they know what are they doing. 400m should be lesson enough.

If you are in the hole, stop digging.
Shawn Layden is not in Sony anymore.

Not the smartest thing to say considering the current state of the videogame industry.

But unless there's some big agenda pushing controversy, I don't see the female protag hurting sales much.

solecon64

Such a fucking stupid man. Like, genuinely a dumb mother fucker. Sony just got railed by their however-many hundreds of millions of dollars Concord failure, and this fucking idiot thinks the best approach would be to antagonize fans even further.

Of course he's right, the best point of action IS to vote with your wallet, but if you're in such a high position, like being the former CEO of the damn company, don't say that! Just shut up. Jesus fucking Christ such a shit thinking dumb move.

The problem isn’t that the main character is a women, it’s that people miss and wanted Jin, and also she’s ugly as sin. If she was more attractive people wouldn’t care much.

Astray

Yeah… I don’t understand the air punching over an avatar. Then we’re busy calling the other side snowflakes, soft, and emotional…
It's grifting and people are falling for it.

People need to understand that your emotions and interest are now a commodity to be bought and sold and these grifters will do anything they can to get their patreons and Twitter gas money.

Crayon

Yeah… I don’t understand the air punching over an avatar. Then we’re busy calling the other side snowflakes, soft, and emotional…

For real I understand the sensitivity given the landscape over recent years, but it's leading to hair-trigger overreactions.

FrankWza

It's grifting and people are falling for it.

People need to understand that your emotions and interest are now a commodity to be bought and sold and these grifters will do anything they can to get their patreons and Twitter gas money.
Once one revolution was monetized it guaranteed every other would be.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member
While "Ghost of Vagina" little reference for the ones aware, doesn't look woke at all, and it doesn't have those vibes either. unfortunately the discourse is such that even quality content will end up in the crossfire... and from that pont of view (Separating the game and the drama) I would say:
FbajE7E.gif

keep fighting the good fight!!!

vpance

It's not off my radar on this point alone, but what would have been a pre-order has now become a wait and see. And probably wait til a discount.

neocycle

Neo Member
Why buy games anyway. Just subscribe to ps+ extra. It will be there 2 years after release, with a million bug fixes.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Shawn thinks he is Jack, he knows Jack shit.
But he isn't Jack Tretton.
And I don't think anyone cares that the main character is female, the problem is with the actress they have chosen.
Two different things.

Just having a female protagonist doesn't make a game "woke".
It really just makes it inaccurate. But games bend the rules with history all the time so I don't know why this matters so much. The last few Assassins Creed games have a ton of female fighters in time periods where women weren't allowed to do so. Given the games are historically accurate in every other aspect of the gameplay, I don't get why it's a big deal.

Besides, aren't people used to the "inclusion in place of accuracy" trend? It's been in movies for quite a while.

I always find it amazing how brash video game employees are against gamers on social media.
I don't. I find most gamers on social media to be entitled, teenaged, know-it-all assholes who constantly misunderstand or blow off the difficulties and challenges with making games. If I was a dev, I wouldn't listen to anybody, especially social media.

Last edited:
Good advice. Don't buy it. I gotta be honest, if a game has female protagonist, I kinda prefer playing as a woman than a f man, just me. But when a game is clearly promoting political bullshit, I don't but it. My favorite games playing as a woman was Dishonored 2, HZD, Prey, Alien Isolation, RE games (My favorite, no bullshit, just pure video games) :lollipop_ogre:, BTW, REMEMBER WHEN THE LAST OF US 1 WAS ABOUT ELIE AND THE CURE.... AND THE SECOND ONE IS ABOUT..... :messenger_poop: :messenger_poop: :messenger_poop:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Move the HQ back to Japan. He's not one of the good guys. He's just like the rest of the suits in San Mateo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Wild. I too do not buy games that don’t look interesting.

Would I have preferred a male protagonist? Sure because at this point more AAA games star females over males.

But a game usually is less exciting to me if the lead is a black female over a black male, Latino male, ginger male, etc.

The good thing about this title is the lead female looks bad ass, and the prior game was superb. So I’m in.

playbignbox

I'm so happy with these creative decisions Sony made. I loved how they nerfed Peter to Miles in Spider-Man 2, how they turned the God of War into a sensitive father, how they made Aloy queer, and released a game where you could play with a man who is a trash dispenser.

Please give me more diversity and love, Sony ❤️

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!

The saddest problem is that it immediately kills conversation. It becomes pointless, extremely stupid 4chan level discourse within like ten posts so no one can actually discuss games. It's just culture war. Which is insanely lazy and dumb.

Sigh. I hope GAF can recover.

t_wilson01

Since when is having a female protagonist a bad thing? I prefer to look at an attractive female character than a man. That's a plus in my book.

What I would hate to see is the inclusion of woke BS in the game.

Top Bottom