• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

Bear Grylls Wish GIF by First We Feast

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Pc gamers now will mod out the main character that’s a layup for them now I don’t care about the gender of a character don’t let the gender bring down a great story.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Damn. It seems lately, the statement of " Don't like it, Don't but it", has been met with fervent passion by those who accept those terms.
That being said, I've seen some content coming out about the voice actress, but didn't go into it.

bender

What time is it?
Pc gamers now will mod out the main character that’s a layup for them now I don’t care about the gender of a character don’t let the gender bring down a great story.

It would be cool if they modded Jin and it turns out Atsu has multiple graphic makeout sessions with a hetero partner.

Figure heads will never understand us gamers. Sure, there are plenty of idiots that say dumb shit like "a female protagonist? That's woke!" but most of us have no problem playing as a female lead in a game. We just hate forced, agenda-driven activism that is totally out of place. Big difference.

I see nothing wrong with Ghost of Yotei having a female samurai.

Last edited:
He's spot on. I also think every time the publishers piss off their own customers that literally feed them, they should get the Concord treatment. I personally don't care if they go bankrupt lol I don't own any shares.

Strong independent women who don't need no man are the new generic white male protags. The industry took those complaints seriously, so don't be surprised when people with other opinions start using them too.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Figure heads will never understand us gamers. Sure, there are plenty of idiots that say dumb shit like "a female protagonist? That's woke!" but most of us have no problem playing as a female lead in a game. We just hate forced, agenda-driven activism that is totally out of place. Big difference.

I see nothing wrong with Ghost of Yotei having a female samurai.
I don't think she will even be a titled samurai. Rather, a Ronin / Onna-musha.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
We need to course correct. I think we all know the ideal character model.

Cloud Strife

He’s feminine enough so us macho guys don’t feel our own masculinity is being challenged, and looks like a girl, so the women can identify with his looks.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm not interested in this game because I wasn't fan of original game but people skipping the game over female protagonist? What?
I'm down with playing as a woman, but will she talk, act and have a story authentic to a Japanese woman from 1600 Japan?
NONE of these games accurate to the history and even original game was mostly try to be Kurosawa film rather than trying to accurate to the history.

Even Sekiro which takes place in sengoku era instead of fantasy world like FROM pervious games, have some crazy powerful female characters.

OMG, are they really gonna play the 'dont like it don't buy it' card because that's always been a great solution 😂.

Don't care if it's a female protagonist so long as her character is well written and, more importantly, her character is believable. (Stellar Blade, Nier Automata, FF7R, RE2). My eastern brothers understand this.

So many Western games have female characters where it feels like they just pallet swapped her onto a previously male character. Her character will act and talk so masculine to the point that it breaks the immersion.

Xtib81

But what are you complaining about? Just that she’s female?
Nah. Firstly it appears that this actress is a trans activist, yet another one and I'm tired of this shit. Secondly, I'm all for diversity in games but it's becoming more and more difficult to play a white male these days. Let's not deny that they're pushing hard strong female characters. That's cool but I feel like they're creating female characters for the sake of it. And it's the same thing in every piece of entertainment which annoys me in the long run.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

OMG, are they really gonna play the 'dont like it don't buy it' card because that's always been a great solution 😂.
I don’t understand why seemingly senior execs are making asses of themselves in public. He could have chosen to say nothing, he could have chosen to spin is such as “it’s a new story, a new character, I am looking forward to great Sucker Punch quality”.

But no, he chose to be openly antagonistic. Social media is really making a mess out of people.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Nah. Firstly it appears that this actress is a trans activist, yet another one and I'm tired of this shit. Secondly, I'm all for diversity in games but it's becoming more and more difficult to play a white male these days. Let's not deny that they're pushing hard strong female characters. That's cool but I feel like they're creating female characters for the sake of it. And it's the same thing in every piece of entertainment which annoys me in the long run.
I dig that.

There does seem to be an agenda of sorts. However, I also try to put faith in the devs to create an enjoyable experience. Sometimes, it’s too much (as was the case with Tell Me Why - an experience that could have been enjoyable for me, but was marred by an obvious political shove). Other times, there’s some sprinkles of a viewpoint, but you can still enjoy the sum total.

Because it’s Sucker Punch, I don’t think benefit of the doubt hurts, but I do hear where you’re coming from!

Last edited:

Saturn Dragon

Neo Member
If they can't put the lgbt in game then it's the actor or something that goes full activist outside the game (or movie or whatever) People say it's something not related and it doesn't affect the game, but we know that TPTB chose the activist actor just because...

Many called me crazy when I was criticizing the cast of Pascal in Hbo TLOU, not only because he's from Latin America, but mostly because he's a trans activist. His character in the show may be a good or bad Joel representation, but being all woke marks all the TPTB inclusive checklist. Then we had a full on homo episode for the sake of it and I was the crazy one.

LMJ

I'm not interested in this game because I wasn't fan of original game but people skipping the game over female protagonist? What?
Very few people on this board are worried about her being a woman, but we are concerned about is whether or not she's simply going to be a Mary Sue as so many women in modern writing are.

NONE of these games accurate to the history and even original game was mostly try to be Kurosawa film rather than trying to accurate to the history.

Even Sekiro which takes place in sengoku era instead of fantasy world like FROM pervious games, have some crazy powerful female characters.
Again not concerned about taking artistic liberties and not adhering to a strict following of the time period, however we don't need lesbian relationships that come out of the blue, we don't need modern sensibilities regarding gender or politics slapped in because the developers decide they want to try to make a point this is where people's genuine concern lies

People loved the last of us 2, there's a reason why it was so successful, the Great gameplay, the hard decisions, the brutality.

Nobody outside of a handful of people loved the line bigot sandwiches or the pandering LOL

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
I mean he is right and i certainly won't buy it. But did he really think this statement was a good idea or did he just want to fuck with his former employer?

Last edited:

Danjin44

Very few people on this board are worried about her being a woman, but we are concerned about is whether or not she's simply going to be a Mary Sue as so many women in modern writing are.
That has more to do if the characters is well written or not.

For example, Nausicaä is very much “Mary Sue” character but she was also very well written (especially in Manga version).

At end of the day what we want is well written character no matter sex or the race.

• Strength
Reactions: LMJ

Sgt.Asher

Blue eyed samurai was good, and looks like this was heavily inspired by that. Would be hilarious if a bunch of characters in game bring up woman being "impure". Twas the belief at the time.
Oh god I hope this game brings up the Buddhist pleasure boys.

Last edited:

LMJ

That has more to do if the characters is well written or not.

For example, Nausicaä is very much “Mary Sue” character but she was also very well written (especially in Manga version).

At end of the day what we want is well written character no matter sex or the race.
I would agree to an extent comma Yes Nausicca is indeed a powerful character, however she also has weaknesses strengths, She has emotional flaws She's relatable in this regard Yes she's extremely powerful but that's fine.

But look at Rey from the current star wars, or even better example would be the remake of Mulan where they took the personal struggle of a woman trying to protect her father who becomes strong through training and perseverance and instead replaced it with just a Mary Sue strong from the very beginning

It's fascinating how angry some people got over a short trailer where the protagonist didn't even say or do anything other than standing still and giving wolf a nod. All this anger just because the main character is a female.
When warning signs appear, gamers are going to take notice. It is cringe but it's a battle of who can be the most vocal.

What confuses me the most is that some people still get on the hype train for AAA. Even if things aren't woke, odds are the game will be underwhelming. Some people just can't restrain themselves. I'm just here for the show, Sucker Punch lost me during inFamous 1. Never been much of a fan.

Danjin44

I would agree to an extent comma Yes Nausicca is indeed a powerful character, however she also has weaknesses strengths, She has emotional flaws She's relatable in this regard Yes she's extremely powerful but that's fine.

But look at Rey from the current star wars, or even better example would be the remake of Mulan where they took the personal struggle of a woman trying to protect her father who becomes strong through training and perseverance and instead replaced it with just a Mary Sue strong from the very beginning
Yes because she is well made character, one of my biggest issue with Alloy in Horizon is not because she is she female but because she is such fucking boring character and in order to make her look more smart and strong, they made every other characters dumb as fuck.

Heck this even true with original Ghost of Tsushima, the made characters like the uncle and Khan so idiotic that Jin look smart by comparison

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: LMJ

nial

Shawn Layden was never the PlayStation (SIE) CEO, how many times are we going to have this damn conversation? High level executives at Sony Group aren't allowed to have a social media presence.

LMJ

Danjin44 Danjin44 I agree with you 100%, I actually enjoyed Aloy somewhat in the original game as halfway through the game it seems like she had to start building allies and realizing she couldn't do everything herself.

In the first game it made sense to be a loner because that's how she had been raised, shunned and banished and it seemed like actual growth when she started accepting others.

The sequel genuinely put me off, I've yet to finish it because suddenly all the alliances and so forth from the first game seem to just be shunned so Aloy can just go fight by herself and be the hero.

And yes I've always found her to have the personality of toast lol.

Fun game though

Last edited:
Top Bottom