• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

Dr.Morris79

GAF any time a game has a woman as the protaganist

picture people GIF
I love women protagonists!

As long as they're good.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
no, they said get used to not owning games (eg don't buy, rent from our service).

which is what I did. honestly pretty good time for $15.

I mean, they never said that regarding Star Wars Outlaws though lol

phant0m

I mean, they never said that regarding Star Wars Outlaws though lol
true, it was just a general comment from Ubi, not specific to Outlaws.

but honestly their games and summer blockbuster popcorn anyway, I play them through and have fun, no need to re-tread or 'own' them in my collection.

Radical_3d

Again with the gaslighting "wHy dO YoU cArE? thEre's no agEndA I cAn SeE!" when Sony has so blatantly typecasted a trans dude as the protag of the game. The heroine face looks like an old lady at best. But noooo, it's all innocent, no propaganda going on...

Go eat a dick. I'm all for a female protag, but not... this.
I’d rather have a fifty something woman portrayed as a believable samurai than a bimbo going against seasoned warriors. But I’d also rather have a new Cole McGrath adventure so I’ll let you and your “no girls allowed” policy sink this samurai nonsense. Bring back the fun.

EDMIX

true, it was just a general comment from Ubi, not specific to Outlaws.

but honestly their games and summer blockbuster popcorn anyway, I play them through and have fun, no need to re-tread or 'own' them in my collection.

This is truth.

The first AC I'm pre-ordering is Shadows, the majority of the series I've gotten used, on sale, as gifts etc.

I feel most AAA type games are summer blockbuster types, but with AC, its just a longer summer lol

I’d rather have a fifty something woman portrayed as a believable samurai than a bimbo going against seasoned warriors. But I’d also rather have a new Cole McGrath adventure so I’ll let you and your “no girls allowed” policy sink this samurai nonsense. Bring back the fun.
Same.

Male, female, other, tittles big or small, I love em all lol Ghost is a day 1 regardless of who they casted as that character.

Semi OT, if they did continue InFamous but maybe had another team do it, I wonder which team would be tasked to revive the IP?

EDMIX

I doubt in current day Sony is enough talent to make something as good as inFamous 2.

Maybe Insomniac could.

Like, lets say they skip Ratchet for an entry and do Spiderman IP and InFamous reboot or something. I feel the have the talent, made open worlds before and have the tech and members form Sucker Punch can go to them to do that title or something.

It could work

Pimpbaa

Maybe Insomniac could.

Like, lets say they skip Ratchet for an entry and do Spiderman IP and InFamous reboot or something. I feel the have the talent, made open worlds before and have the tech and members form Sucker Punch can go to them to do that title or something.

It could work

Insomniac? After Miles Morales and Spider-man 2? Writing in games from them are going to be dumpster fires until they fire their current writers and get good writers.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Nnnnaaaaaahhhh… I’ve tried to play Spiderman 3 times now. I bought the LE all hyped but that snooze fest always demolish my will.
Insomniac? After Miles Morales and Spider-man 2? Writing in games from them are going to be dumpster fires until they fire their current writers and get good writers.
lol don't beat me lol

To be fair, did say this

members form Sucker Punch can go to them to do that title or something.

I can't deny Insomniac's quality and their ability to create functional worlds and fluid gameplay, so maybe Sucker Punch members that wrote, did the creative direction can do those parts or something.

Pimpbaa

I can't deny Insomniac's quality and their ability to create functional worlds and fluid gameplay, so maybe Sucker Punch members that wrote, did the creative direction can do those parts or something.

That’s the thing tho, we don’t know Sucker Punch’s current writing quality until this new game comes out. Although I have more faith in this being good than the next assassin’s creed.

Hey Mister Layden…….eat shit along with this hateful leftist woke woman. Hope this shite flops like Concord and makes Sony realize people don’t want games with these people involved with them.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That's a heck of a take considering shit lately....mate, you don't want to actively prod the (very loud and majority consumer) bears.

Like, that take says to me "we're making a stand here, for some reason, etc" - moreso than defending his actor's honor/skills/performance.

Stands and 2024 go together like shit and toothpaste.

Quantum253

Gold Member
That's a heck of a take considering shit lately....mate, you don't want to actively prod the (very loud and majority consumer) bears.

Like, that take says to me "we're making a stand here, for some reason, etc" - moreso than defending his actor's honor/skills/performance.

Stands and 2024 go together like shit and toothpaste.
You know SP is probably irritated by the comment and now having to work internally to develop a statement to clarify/Rectify an opinion that's not of the studios.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Kratos is our only hope. I bet Sony is biting their own ass for making him have a son and not another daughter. :D

But Layden is right. I just don’t buy all the Sony games anymore. It’s okay. There’s so much stuff to play.

Thabass

It's not his product. If you don't like a game (any game), you shouldn't buy the game. I've been doing that since forever.
I do the same, but people don't do that, some people have brand loyalty...which is a very silly thing to have since not one of these businesses give a shit about you personally, they only care about the money from your wallet/purse.

Stu_Hart

He is not wrong, and there is nothing rude about it unless you are easily triggered.

And there are actually people wishing he came back and replaced Hermen?

Just look at the difference in their Twitter bios.
...and despite his views on social media, he was one of the few execs that openly admitted to ps3's screw-ups, sony's arrogance in 2006 and he did not breathe down 1st party studio's throats asking them to shoehorn live service games.

Last edited:

KàIRóS

It is going to fail but it will be due to a combination of what most of the other PS5 AAA Sony games have also failed at, being sequels and not adding much new stuff, the female protag will surely impact sales but not as much as people think and hopefully Sucker Punch gets back to Sly Cooper after this + seeing the success of Astro Bot.

DeepSpace5D

He is not wrong, and there is nothing rude about it unless you are easily triggered.

...and despite his views on social media, he was one of the few execs that openly admitted to ps3's screw-ups, sony's arrogance in 2006 and he did not breathe down 1st party studio's throats asking them to shoehorn live service games.
Just his response regarding this game alone is very antagonistic towards consumers and I would not trust him in a high position if I was a company. He seems more radical now than when he worked for Sony.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
It is going to fail but it will be due to a combination of what most of the other PS5 AAA Sony games have also failed at, being sequels and not adding much new stuff,
How do you define fail? Most people here seem to agree that Horizon or GOW weren't great sequels, yet they got the same high scores on Metacritic and sales in the millions. Even without the bundle thing in 2022 sales would have been great.

DeepSpace5D

I will wait till your balls drop then because I don't like abusing small kids digitally.
So you just like abusing kids after their balls have dropped. Well at least I know what I’m dealing with.

I hope this is in good fun btw. I’m not taking this seriously, but you seem upset the way you jumped on the personal insults so quickly.

If we can stop derailing things, do you really think the “If you don’t like it, don’t buy it” rhetoric ever results in a positive outcome? It’s never a good look in my opinion.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Is the issue the female protagonist or is it because she's a female protagonist in a game made by a western studio?
This. ^

Because when anyone else does this, I don't see much folks getting up in arms, but when its a western studio, suddenly it must be picked apart, the actor stalked and a sorts of dumb shit.

Apparently just playing a game for fun is a wild concept now. You need to know the origins of the voice actor to enjoy the game suddenly (looks up her college grades) lol
I am at least 4 years old.
I mean... its starting to check out and makes a lot of sense with these post tbh.

So you just like abusing kids after their balls have dropped. Well at least I know what I’m dealing with.
look man, you walked into this.... no one made you say some weird shit like this lol

unlurkified

GAF any time a game has a woman as the protaganist

picture people GIF
There’s nothing wrong with having female protagonists per se. It’s the underlying ideology that a lot of gamers suspect these companies are operating under that pushes them to have strong female characters over male ones as a way to virtue signal how pro-modern feminist they are. Strong male protagonists under this view simply perpetuate patriarchal norms. It also becomes a bit conspicuous when all the men in these female-led games are either non-masculine, incompetent bafoons, or evil.

Unless a dev comes out and explicitly says something of the sort for why they’ve chosen a female lead, we can’t know for sure and shouldn’t be up in arms, but it is eyebrow raising that a lot of Sony’s IP’s are moving in this direction.

You can pay attention to the underlying cultural issues as much as you want, but if you don’t understand that most western companies are now engaged in an attempt at social reengineering through meticulous narrative and product messaging choices, I’d say you’re naiive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom