• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shanw Layden (Former PlayStation CEO) on Ghost of Yotei protagonist being a female: "Don't like it? Don't buy it"

DeepSpace5D

You don't give rights to anything, you are nothing to me. I am not insulting you, just telling it like it is in case you get triggered again.
You’re splitting hairs trying to get me in some gotcha moment, when in reality it’s saying more about you.

So when you are gaming, you are not consuming a product? I see nothing wrong with using the terms “consumer” and “gamer” interchangeably. A consumer is someone who buys or uses a product. A gamer is using a product. So no, you cannot be a gamer and not a consumer.

I can’t believe I even have to spell that out for you.

Laptop1991

This attitude has failed in the past, wrong message to send out, then again that's what people do anyway lol, they don't buy things they don't like lol

samoilaaa

well its not that simple because if i dont buy it im gonna be called a misogonist while if a woman doesnt want to play a male she isnt called anything

if the game flops ( which it wont because its a sony 1st party game ) then we will see all kinds of articles how gaming is filled with toxic male gamers that refuse to accept that women are just as good as men

Last edited:

samoilaaa

It will work for GoY too, people will buy it in masses and prove that Concord's problem wasn't just the inclusion of pronouns.
well Concord wasnt made by a team that made many successful 1st party games

take cyberpunk for example , many people trusted them based on their past games and the game already sold millions before it even released , i bet that if concord was made by naughty dog or other veteran 1st party company the game would have sold alot , they would have lost the playerbase fast because the game is trash but they still would have made money from preorders

well its not that simple because if i dont buy it im gonna be called a misogonist while if a woman doesnt want to play a male she isnt called anything

if the game flops ( which it wont because its a sony 1st party game ) then we will see all kinds of articles how gaming is filled with toxic male gamers that refuse to accept that women are just as good as men
Are you serious?

If so, why do you care so much about what you're called - by strangers who don't know you - if you know within yourself it isn't true?

NahaNago

No buts, people saw a woman protagonist and started crying with nothing else to go on.
It doesn't matter what the games ends up being could be the wokest thing in the world, those people will forever be morons.
Your first sentence is I can completely agree with but it is 2024 with all of the dei so someone crying about a woman being the protagonist isn't that shocking and if it does end up being woke it simply will prove them right.

On the don't like it don't buy it why is this even drama. That is how Concord died.

samoilaaa

Are you serious?

If so, why do you care so much about what you're called - by strangers who don't know you - if you know within yourself it isn't true?
i dont care because i wont buy it anyway , im just saying what will happen

this guy says that if you dont like dont buy its that simple but if the game flops he blames the people that didnt buy the game

ahtlas7

Smart ass CEO tells me the obvious.
Joking Joe Biden GIF by The Democrats

samoilaaa

It is going to fail but it will be due to a combination of what most of the other PS5 AAA Sony games have also failed at, being sequels and not adding much new stuff, the female protag will surely impact sales but not as much as people think and hopefully Sucker Punch gets back to Sly Cooper after this + seeing the success of Astro Bot.
it wont fail , just like spider man 2 ( a shitty game ) it will sell over 10 million copies

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
People really make a big deal out of things that are a bit "different". When i play games, i don't even think about how this character repecents itself or whatever. If we are down by this, then stop consuming all other content in the world and all other media, because everything is "woke" nowadays" for people who can't help themselves.

Lethal01

Your first sentence is I can completely agree with but it is 2024 with all of the dei so someone crying about a woman being the protagonist isn't that shocking and if it does end up being woke it simply will prove them right.

On the don't like it don't buy it why is this even drama. That is how Concord died.

Broken CLock is right twice a day. even if their guess ends up right they would still be idiots.
Like if I said there is gonna be a hurricane because I had a bad dream.

NahaNago

Broken CLock is right twice a day. even if their guess ends up right they would still be idiots.
Like if I said there is gonna be a hurricane because I had a bad dream.
It is more of a flip of a coin than a broken clock since it is a question of is it woke or not and in 2024 the odds would be higher that it would land woke.

Has it been confirmed that Hermen was the one who greenlit Concord?
He's the CEO. Even if he didn't greenlit it, he could step in and cancel it when signs clearly won't go to success. If they can cancel a decade long development of TLoU2 multiplayer which is their flagship series but won't do this for Concord until launch tells you about his leadership.

Stu_Hart

You’re splitting hairs trying to get me in some gotcha moment, when in reality it’s saying more about you.

So when you are gaming, you are not consuming a product? I see nothing wrong with using the terms “consumer” and “gamer” interchangeably. A consumer is someone who buys or uses a product. A gamer is using a product. So no, you cannot be a gamer and not a consumer.

I can’t believe I even have to spell that out for you.
Shawn Layden has nothing to do with you "consuming" ghost of yotei. You are not a consumer because he has no products for you to consume. To him, you are just a gamer, or rather a disgruntled gamer.

lol not when Horizon out here moving 25 million units.

I just don't buy that gender ALONE is why any game is failing or something.

So unless you can actually legitimately prove that that reason solely is why some game failed, it merely sounds like something folks are claiming vs proving. Even looking at NeoGaf, even in the poll asking how hype anyone is for Ghost, the vast majority don't even care about what the anti-woke are saying, why would the majority that are not even deep into any of this care?
There are many good games with women protagonists like horizon, tomb raider, Alien Isolation, etc...
The problem is not the gender, the problem is when the game is woke. And there is this trend now, that tends to genderswap main characters in movies and games for women, and those products are usually woke, which means they are usually shit. Because woke is not trying to entertain people, is trying to educate them and lecture them.

So now, average joe and jane have started noticing there are woke movies and games, and those movies and games are starting to bomb. Even good movies, as furiosa, are failing because people see the genderswapping and think it´s going to be another woke product.

And the smoking gun of wokeness in this game is they chose an actress (or actor or however he/she/they identify at this point in time) that is gender fluid, pansexual, defund the police, radical leftist activist. And she/he/they isn´t just a voice actor, they are using his/her/their likeness for the main protagonist

So, yeah, it looks like Sucker Punch are going woke. And whatever sales expectations they had before genderswapping and girlbossing the maincharacter, will not be met

Not a really good move to say to your audience. Says alot about intentions.

Wasn't EA doing the same claim over Battlefield 5?

Well, after Concord I expected Sony not picking a fight against their playerbase.

Hope they know what are they doing. 400m should be lesson enough.

If you are in the hole, stop digging.

Despite being a very obvious thing to say, an exec or person involved in the project saying that is the definition of going full retard.

Shawn Layden doesn't work for sony anymore lmfao.
Hasn't in years.

People can say what they want and customers can buy what they want.

I always find it amazing how brash video game employees are against gamers on social media. It's pretty hard to find execs or employees in other industries smack talking back when customers dont like something.

A truly combative bunch.

Shawn Layden hasn't worked for sony in years lol.

HogIsland

I don’t think this is a big deal. This is how business works. Just don’t buy stuff your not interested in.
your point is overlooking major and obvious specific issues. it's always the case that you don't buy stuff you're not interested in. i don't buy a ton of stuff i AM interested in.

the issue is "people" (i.e. aggrieved virgin men in their 40s) who can't cope with playing a woman they're not actively masturbating to in a videogame. to just say to such a person "if you don't like it, don't buy it" is really dodging the question.

Last edited:
I guess I’m just not seeing the big deal, here?

What’s the problem? Why is this newsworthy?
The woke like to pretend that people don't buy games just because it's a female protagonist when in reality people are just afraid that like 95% of the time, the female protagonist will be ridiculously brought in making the experience uncomfortable... American studios have a hard time producing quality female protagonists like the Japanese do... 2B is just great in nier automata, for example, and it's a pleasure to play her, whereas the woman in forsaken is a real Americanized pain in the ass...

tmlDan

im not one who supports DEI in its current form, i find it toxic, but if you see a woman, who represents 50% of gamers proven by statistics, and you yell woke? You're mentally ill.

They may not be on forums like men are, but there are a ton of them and seeing a trailer and instantly saying "woke" is loser mentality. Honestly, maybe bully's were right back in the day for making fun of gamers and after this it's also clear why women put it as the top most unattractive hobby.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

im not one who supports DEI in its current form, i find it toxic, but if you see a woman, who represents 50% of gamers proven by statistics, and you yell woke? You're mentally ill.

They may not be on forums like men are, but there are a ton of them and seeing a trailer and instantly saying "woke" is loser mentality. Honestly, maybe bully's were right back in the day for making fun of gamers and after this it's also clear why women put it as the top most unattractive hobby.
Lmao who gives a shit what women find an unattractive hobby? 😂 You should find a partner who isnt that childish that your hobbies are an issue for them.

tmlDan

Lmao who gives a shit what women find an unattractive hobby? 😂 You should find a partner who isnt that childish that your hobbies are an issue for them.
are you people legitimately illiterate? i said this is evidence as to why its the case. Gaming is my hobby, and ive never heard a women prior say that it is unattractive, but given current ideology shifting i can see why.

God, you people are so stupid.

Last edited:

jm89

Ahh yes this worked wonders for Saints Row as well

Well saints row was trash, so regardless what the Devs said it was never going to succeed.

If ghost of yotei ends up being just as good as Tsushima, it's gonna sell millions.

Last edited:

HogIsland

speaking as a lifelong tech geek, there's a lot of grown ass adults who need a swirlie

Last edited:

MMaRsu

are you people legitimately illiterate? i said this is evidence as to why its the case. Gaming is my hobby, and ive never heard a women prior say that it is unattractive, but given current ideology shifting i can see why.

God, you people are so stupid.

"You people"

The fuck do you mean, "you people"

??????

Your so called evidence.. lmao
Get real bro, stop being so sensitive. Triggered af 😂

I also never said I agree with the poster you quoted Im just talking about your "women find this hobby unattractive" part.

Like who gives a shit what hobbies some women find unattractive?

Last edited:

MMaRsu

So not a single counter argument, shows your intelligence. You'll be okay.
A counter argument to what? Im not even in an argument with you.

I agree with saying woke when it features a woman is stupid.

I was talking about your dumb assessment why some women find gaming unattractive. Like who gives a shit

tmlDan

A counter argument to what? Im not even in an argument with you.

I agree with saying woke when it features a woman is stupid.

I was talking about your dumb assessment why some women find gaming unattractive. Like who gives a shit
you never said the second sentence, and i explained my reasoning. You did not.

Euler007

You guys mad the samurai will be female? If the game is good, the game is good. You think "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" would be better if Jade Fox was a guy on roid that can't act?

MMaRsu

you never said the second sentence, and i explained my reasoning. You did not.
Well I already posted that earlier itt. That women were Samurai, and they were important Samurai as well
So its dumb to call it woke

However my point was more about the hobby thing

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Well I already posted that earlier itt. That women were Samurai, and they were important Samurai as well
So its dumb to call it woke

However my point was more about the hobby thing
I think the point tmlDan tmlDan is trying to make, is that it's understandable to see why some women might consider gaming an unattractive hobby, given how pathetic some people's reactions are to something like female main protagonists.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

I wish they would just allow us to create our own character, or just allow us to choose from a male or female, that way you kill two birds with one stone, no controversy and you can maximise your sales. Ubisoft does it with Assassin's creed, I don't see why Sony and their studios can't do it as well.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I guess I’m just not seeing the big deal, here?

What’s the problem? Why is this newsworthy?

Its woke ptsd ... now for some people even a woman main character invokes thoughts of concord , dragon age , and star wars outlaws. We have had so many agenda pushing games recently that it's become guilty until proven innocent. 😢 I don't agree with that but it's a thing now.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Its woke ptsd ... now for some people even a woman main character invokes thoughts of concord , dragon age , and star wars outlaws. We have had so many agenda pushing games recently that it's become guilty until proven innocent. 😢 I don't agree with that but it's a thing now.
If it’s true it’s stupid as fuck, it’s no different than resetera calling everything “problematic” now here calling everything “woke”.

I like this place, I don’t want it turn to crazy place like resetera just in opposite side.

Fake

Gold Member
If it’s true it’s stupid as fuck, it’s no different than resetera calling everything “problematic” now here calling everything “woke”.

I like this place, I don’t want it turn to crazy place like resetera just in opposite side.

Well, aready is. Just because I hate the fact that SP replace Jin with another character some folks here are using the card 'you don't like women protagonists' with is completely not true.

I blame Sony for making me grow attached with Jin.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Well, aready is. Just because I hate the fact that SP replace Jin with another character some folks here are using the card 'you don't like women protagonists' with is completely not true.

I blame Sony for making me grow attached with Jin.
The only thing I like about Jin was his JP voice was same actor who did voice for Zoro in One Piece.

Fake

Gold Member
The only thing I like about Jin was his JP voice was same actor who did voice for Zoro in One Piece.

I just hate the hiprocrisy about this. If Sony replaced Aloy for another generic character, doesn't matter the sex, I 100% sure people would complain, even more than replaced Jin just because Aloy is a woman.

MMaRsu

I think the point tmlDan tmlDan is trying to make, is that it's understandable to see why some women might consider gaming an unattractive hobby, given how pathetic some people's reactions are to something like female main protagonists.
Yeah, I understand that he's trying to make that point.

My point is, who gives a shit? If a woman looks down on you because you play vidya, thats not the type of woman Id even want to know.

I would never look down on someone because their hobby is in my eyes shit.

REDRZA MWS

News flash, many, many corporations are ditching “DEI” bullshit because In any profession the best most qualified people regardless of identity politics should always be the norm. I’m all for diversity but not when the product suffers because of DEI hires and mandates.

HogIsland

if you are experiencing (even ironic) "ptsd" from the games you listed, you're the most fragile snowflake i've ever heard of.

Top Bottom