• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 |OT| You promised you'd take me there again someday...

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Yeah I was afraid to turn on RTX. Might give it a go. Still making adjustments to my settings. Was getting tons of screen tearing with the unlimited FPS option. Set it to 60 and much better.

No screen tearing for me. Only playing at 1440p(4070ti) so no issues with RTX. 90-120 fps.

Kacho

Gold Member
No screen tearing for me. Only playing at 1440p(4070ti) so no issues with RTX. 90-120 fps.
4070Ti bros represent

I didn’t have the advanced settings enabled which was limiting my ability to utilize certain settings (so many options!). After messing with those I put it back at unlimited and it’s smooth as butter now. 💪🏻

DavidGzz

Gold Member
4070Ti bros represent

I didn’t have the advanced settings enabled which was limiting my ability to utilize certain settings (so many options!). After messing with those I put it back at unlimited and it’s smooth as butter now. 💪🏻

Can you only do that in the menu? It's grayed out for me. Anyway, made it to the second save point. I'm going so slow, taking the sights and sounds in. I need to sleep. I put the combat on hard and the puzzles on standard. We'll see how I fare tomorrow. Have fun guys!

Kacho

Gold Member
Can you only do that in the menu? It's grayed out for me. Anyway, made it to the second save point. I'm going so slow, taking the sights and sounds in. I need to sleep. I put the combat on hard and the puzzles on standard. We'll see how I fare tomorrow. Have fun guys!
Set renderer quality settings to Custom

Gonzito

I am on pc, first 30 minutes are good so far but the game has a very strong chromatic aberration which I hate with all my guts.

Is there any way to disable it through some ini file command or something?

Why do developers insist to put thid awful effect in games, goddammit

Overall, I'm very impressed. Graphics are great, audio is stunning, the atmosphere got me hooked, and combat (melee only at the moment) so far feels good too. I'm using a Dualsense via Bluetooth, but I might plug it in via cable to see the wee extra features like the light on the touch pad being a health indicator (not that I look at the controller much when playing.)

Have had stutters, which sucks, but I'm hoping it can be patched to ease it a bit. I've also noticed some weird graphical issues. Like the spikes on top of certain gates get all broken, move out of place, jittery, and blurry. Hair can get very pixilated, too. I'm using DLSS, so I'm wondering if that's the issue.

I've everything up full (except motion blur, of course) with ray tracing, HDR, and DLSS on quality. Resolution is 5120x1440p ultrawide. Using an RTX4090, 7800x3d, installed on an m2 drive. FPS is normally around 77 outside, though it did randomly drop at the start to low 50s. Indoors, I was getting higher at times, around 110 in some places.

Looking forward to playing more and seeing new places and lore, as well as reliving the usual greatness.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
25BD2B1CC5E008B7150F63AE59F1401AABE6B6BD

Here we go, later bros

Hey bro

Glad u like SH2. Were you always a fan of this game back on the ps2?

Do you like the genre in general or just SH?

Vick

Gold Member
Guys how's the visual feedback?

Does James feel good to control, and is performing simple actions like walking responsive?

Kacho

Gold Member
Hey bro

Glad u like SH2. Were you always a fan of this game back on the ps2?

Do you like the genre in general or just SH?
Huge fan of survival horror games in general. The Silent Hill series ranks #2 to Resident Evil IMO. Different kinds of horror experiences tho. Silent Hill is wayyyy more unsettling than Resident Evil. It gets under your skin.

Bought a PS1 for Resident Evil back in 96. Played it a billion times. Rented Silent Hill 1 at blockbuster and it blew me away, ended up buying a copy. Bought SH2 day one on the PS2. The graphics were biblical. Peak Konami era.

Fatal Frame 2 is still the scariest game I’ve ever played btw. Hope that remake comes soon.

Last edited:

GHG

Can anyone confirm dualsense support on PC?

Wired or wireless I don't really mind, would just like to know if they've implemented the haptic and trigger stuff.

Huge fan of survival horror games in general. The Silent Hill series ranks #2 to Resident Evil IMO. Different kinds of horror experiences tho. Silent Hill is wayyyy more unsettling than Resident Evil. It gets under your skin.

Bought a PS1 for Resident Evil back in 96. Played it a billion times. Rented Silent Hill 1 at blockbuster and it blew me away, ended up buying a copy. Bought SH2 day one on the PS2. The graphics were biblical. Peak Konami era.

Fatal Frame 2 is still the scariest game I’ve ever played btw. Hope that remake comes soon.

Yeah Resident Evil and Silent Hill stand head and shoulders above the others.

So happy that Silent Hill is back and it’s great!

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

We’re kind of in a golden era of resurgence for survival horror stuff and it’s great to see.

My memories are faint of silent hill as I don’t think I played SH2, only SH1 briefly

Loved the vibe of a ghost like dream.

Hope this means we can get new silent hill games in the future just like RE

Kacho

Gold Member
We’re kind of in a golden era of resurgence for survival horror stuff and it’s great to see.

My memories are faint of silent hill as I don’t think I played SH2, only SH1 briefly

Loved the vibe of a ghost like dream.

Hope this means we can get new silent hill games in the future just like RE
Well if this is your first time playing SH2 you are in for a treat. This remake is legit. Be prepared for moments of calm, to moments of panic, to moments of full blown terror. Have fun.

Kacho

Gold Member
Guys how's the visual feedback?

Does James feel good to control, and is performing simple actions like walking responsive?
Melee feels very good and modern. Hits give you that visceral “unnngh” felling if you know what I mean. The stomps in particular.

*stomp*
Unnngh
*stomp*
UNNNGH

My biggest concern with Bloober Hill was the combat because they make walking sims. They clearly hired the right people for the job here.

Stuart360

The graphics are good overall but the image quality is a bit grainy and rough. Also the ghosting, especially around the main character, is really bad and hard to unsee.

Not super impressed to be honest, graphically i mean. (playing 1080p. ,max settings minus RT, 1080ti).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Also the ghosting, especially around the main character, is really bad and hard to unsee
Same thing from the very first Matrix demo. Hopefully as new HW becomes available (next-gen consoles) they can invest some of the extra performance aiming for a smaller visual jump out of the gate but eliminating ghosting and noise. We are targeting visuals with UE5 in a way that requires all these sorts of temporal hacks that leave a mark :/.

cormack12

Gold Member
The graphics are good overall but the image quality is a bit grainy and rough. Also the ghosting, especially around the main character, is really bad and hard to unsee.

Not super impressed to be honest, graphically i mean. (playing 1080p. ,max settings minus RT, 1080ti).
Is it better or worse than Alan Wake 2 in that regard

Gonzito

Go to the steam forums, some users have found a fix to make it look better

One of the culprits is the shader settings, turning it to medium improve things. And removing motion blur plus chromatic aberration in the ini files improve a lot that grainy look

Vick

Gold Member
Melee feels very good and modern. Hits give you that visceral “unnngh” felling if you know what I mean. The stomps in particular.

*stomp*
Unnngh
*stomp*
UNNNGH

My biggest concern with Bloober Hill was the combat because they make walking sims. They clearly hired the right people for the job here.
Thanks.

I am more interested in the walking feedback though, given the prominent role of immersive exploration in this game. If it's more like Evil Within 2, which I absolutely despise in terms of visual feedback, or RE2R or TLOU, which are the opposite.
But I was also referring to analog controls, I'm sure SH2 feels good on KBM.

Stuart360

Is it better or worse than Alan Wake 2 in that regard
I didnt play it. The image quality doesnt look great though, almost like i'm playing with FSR set to balanced, but i'm not i have upscaling off and set to native. The ghosting is BAD. I tried different AA but it was still there. I have motion blur turned off but sometimes the ghosting is so bad it looks like motion blur is on lol.

I have played other UE5 games though that have had similar image quality. Image quality just never really looks great, it always looks noisy and lower rez with UE5. To me anyway.

Gonzito

Thanks.

I am more interested in the walking feedback though, given the prominent role of immersive exploration in this game. If it's more like Evil Within 2, which I absolutely despise in terms of visual feedback, or RE2R or TLOU, which are the opposite.

Walking feedback is more in line with TLOU and Resident Evil

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Playing at 4k/60/Ultra with RT off, because I have a 3090... lol. I had total slowdown because RT was on by default with HDR. Turned it off and static 60. This game is not bad at all.
The changes that I haven't liked seem to be overshadowed by what I do like and it is multitudes. Strongest dislike so far are the VAs. Not a deal breaker. We can Mod it.

Edit: Combat seems to be inline with a good game.

Last edited:

T-0800

I've said it so many times on this forum, proper DualSense implementation can increase immersion 10-fold and elevate the game to new levels. It's fitting SH2 would get the right treatment though, one of my earliest memories of cool force feedback was feeling the heartbeat through the controller in SH1 and 2 on PS1/2, can't fucking wait!
I love the PS5 controller and agree with everything you said.

I just played the first 50 minutes on PC and it's quite promising. Love the visual atmosphere and sound design.

I've seen exactly one tiny hitch when traversing from the graveyard to the farm area in the beginning. So I'd say the #stutterstruggle appears to be somewhat overblown (as usual). Kind of a non-issue on my end so far.

I'm playing with max settings at 1440p/HDR, DLSS Q, 60 fps cap on a 5900X, RTX 4070 Ti.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I went down to Performance DLSS and with RT on... WOW. 60 locked with some weird dips here and there but nothing substantial. I like this game even more, lol. They did a decent job, minus the stutters for people. I haven't experienced the stutters, myself. Maybe this will perform even better after a Game Ready Driver drops.

Erebus

4070Ti bros represent

4070Ti here too.

I want to experience this at 4K on my big TV but I have trouble keeping 60fps with RT on no matter the DLSS preset. I'm wondering if it's worth locking to 30FPS while keeping the ray tracing on.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I went down to Performance DLSS and with RT on... WOW. 60 locked with some weird dips here and there but nothing substantial. I like this game even more, lol. They did a decent job, minus the stutters for people. I haven't experienced the stutters, myself. Maybe this will perform even better after a Game Ready Driver drops.
No stuters for me too, but my game is on gen4 ssd.

Bartski

Gold Member
Thanks.

Its feels more responsive than I expected.
Also the evade maneuver works just like TLOU2 dodge and really in tune with enemy attack cadence and tells, they clearly spend a lot of time polishing it. Animations connect perfectly with visceral punch and its just solid combat mechanics, who would have thought. Its very uncomplicated and exactly what this game needed imo

tommib

Gold Member
tommib tommib my man how are the haptics. how is the feel.

One hour to go
It feels great brother. The melee which looked clumsy in videos totally hits that visceral level with the sound impact and the triggers. There are very soft haptics happening when a creature moves in a bush or behind a building. Creepy stuff.

The audio and its crispiness is outstanding. It’s really high quality stuff. Even the music arrangements that I was skeptical about add texture to these unbelievable well realised environments. I spent more than one hour just walking down the forest checking everything and the details. It’s so, so moody.

I think that’s Bloober’s strength from the past. They have a graphical adventure game curriculum and it’s their main concern. People might dislike The Medium for several reasons, but the environments in that game were visually stunning. And now they’ve blended that with high quality performance capture, great acting, and one of the moodiest pieces of media ever produced. And that lighting and volumetric fog! That the combat is above what you would expect from a game like this, it’s just the cherry on top.

I honestly couldn’t believe what I was playing yesterday. Wonder what kind of external support they had.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I have to admit that I have never played the original. How scary will this be compared to something like Resident Evil? Is it on the level of Kojima's hallway demo?

Luipadre

God its hard to read all these good impressions while im stuck at work for another 6 hours. Cant wait to start playing this tonight, it will be my first time playing too.

Top Bottom