• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 |OT| You promised you'd take me there again someday...

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Combat was shit at the beginning. I'm a psycho, I kept resetting every time I got hit. Now.. minus some stupid shit these asshole lying bodies do... combat is easy. Don't mash, hit 1-2 times then dodge instinctively.
I also found if you get an opening on them when on the ground, you can pretty much stunlock them to death if you are aggressive enough. I'm barely going through Brookhaven. Tons of stuff to find and tons of reloads/resets. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Vick

Gold Member
I'm a psycho, I kept resetting every time I got hit.
culture-man-of-culture.gif

tommib

Gold Member
Puzzles on hard are very doable, no out of game BS mostly just reading comprehension
Good. I put everything on hard. I even took the icons out so I need to click everything to see what works. :p Game will take me ages. It’s too good to run through it.

Also, can we get a round of applause for the amount of in depth accessibility options. It’s not common outside of first party games.

GHG

No issues on PC so far but obviously still very early. Getting 60-70 fps with dlss quality on a 4090 at 4k with everything cranked apart from sharpening set to medium.

I really wish I could try the 90's filter without it cranking the obnoxious chromatic aberration to 100 and the vignette taking over 50% of the screen. Fucking hell, let people fine tune stuff like that in the game.

GHG

Puzzles on hard are very doable, no out of game BS mostly just reading comprehension

I wasn't sure about this option.

Is it worth restarting and changing the puzzles to hard if I'm early on? Will I miss anything story wise by having them on normal?

Also, is there no photo mode option? This game is crying out for one.

DarkK86

Gold Member
For anyone playing on PC who hates chromatic aberration and film grain , locate engine.ini (usually in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\SilentHill2\Saved\Config\Windows) , open it and at the bottom add the following lines:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

The first two remove the chromatic abberation , the second pair removes film grain. It works great but that's probably the first game I'm considering using film grain because it suits it, and also the original had it. But as always, it's great to have the option.

Also, Dlss 3.7 with preset E via DLSSTweaks works great!

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I wasn't sure about this option.

Is it worth restarting and changing the puzzles to hard if I'm early on? Will I miss anything story wise by having them on normal?
Sorry I have no idea how they work on normal, if anything like previous games you get more stuff to do on hard. I'm only at the hospital and so far it's been fine but I hope they don't pull something like that puzzle in SH3 where on hard you have to actually know Shakespeare irl

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
For anyone playing on PC who hates chromatic aberration and film grain , locate engine.ini (usually in C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\SilentHill2\Saved\Config\Windows) , open it and at the bottom add the following lines:

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

The first two remove the chromatic abberation , the second pair removes film grain. It works great but that's probably the first game I'm considering using film grain because it suits it, and also the original had it. But as always, it's great to have the option.
They should upgrade you to Member for this.

Last edited:

GHG

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

Do you know if that turns it off for both graphics modes or just the default one?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

I turn film grain off in basically every game but in this game I'd make an exception. It's part of the OGs charm

JORMBO

Darkness no more
i9 14900k, 64gb ram, 4070ti Super
4k, RT on, Ultra settings

I am getting 60-75fps with DLSS performance on. DLSS quality was 55-65fps. It does have the UE micro stutter too. Noticable, but not enough to be a deal breaker.

As for the game itself - so far I think they have done a really good job. I was worried they would not hit the atmosphere of the original, but they did a really good job. The graphics, fog and sound are all really well done.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Does the game support rumble on PC with a dualsense?

Was looking at the DF video, and yeah, that performance mode, while gorgeous, get's pretty fucked up thanks to lumen. What the hell are those pixelated artifacts on water reflection?

Better performance on a 27" vs 65" screen with worse performance.

I'm on the fence about this one, because the game is super atmospheric.

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Does the game support rumble on PC with a dualsense?

Was looking at the DF video, and yeah, that performance mode, while gorgeous, get's pretty fucked up thanks to lumen. What the hell are those pixelated artifacts on water reflection?

Better performance on a 27" vs 65" screen with worse performance.

I'm on the fence about this one, because the game is super atmospheric.
It supports full dualsense features.
Sound in the game is probably best I've heard.

Seen this and thought it might help some people. I have not tried this myself, but will do later and report back. Especially the cutscnene fixes on ultrawide plus unlocking the fps from 30.

kizito

I have to admit that I have never played the original. How scary will this be compared to something like Resident Evil? Is it on the level of Kojima's hallway demo?
Not Kojima PT demo level, but scarier than Resident Evil. Scariness is different though, Silent Hill is much more about feeling uneased.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I need help. I got the digital deluxe on steam.

I cannot install I cannot do shit. It thinks I have the regular version. I’ve triple checked the edition I have.

Wtf do I do!?

Edit: even though I had reset my pc I had to exit all of steam and relaunch it from scratch for it to figure it out. Was malding.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Love how enemies have those distinct properties that require a different approach, between ranged and melee. I just killed my second nurse. Felt like a miniboss fight. I need a bigger gun!

UnrealEck

I need help. I got the digital deluxe on steam.

I cannot install I cannot do shit. It thinks I have the regular version. I’ve triple checked the edition I have.

Wtf do I do!?

Edit: even though I had reset my pc I had to exit all of steam and relaunch it from scratch for it to figure it out. Was malding.
This is apparently quite a common issue. Try restarting Steam. If that doesn't work, log out and back into Steam.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
this is some serious fucking magic being done

i'm currently running this game 1440p @ 144fps everything on max settings + raytracing

absolutely BEAUTIFUL game and running so well on my comp (Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070ti).

DavidGzz

Gold Member

[SystemSettings]
r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0

Thanks, man! Turned them both off since I didn't play the original I have no nostalgia for the grain.

Also, I restarted with everything on hard.

GHG

Can confirm all of the dualsense features work on PC (triggers, haptics, lightbar), just needed to use the controller wired and restart the game.

The haptics and triggers in particular are really well done when swinging the bat.

Think I'm going to restart with the puzzles on hard as well.

There's absolutely no way you're getting 144 FPS with these settings on a RTX 3070TI.

Possibly DLSS or FSR with the most aggressive setting?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Damn, am I really about to hand Konami good money?

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Someone donate this game to steamdb so that we can see the concurrent players! It's weird to see most unknown games having the tracking but not this.

Yes I am too cheap :p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GHG GHG
DLSS "Balanced"

I'm at the absolute start of the game, didn't even walk down the path. I am 100% being honest, don't know what to tell you!

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

How is it on PS5? The reveal combat looked fucking weak. No impact with the melee.

I can't attest for the PS5 version, but the combat on the PC version while using a dualsense is really satisfying. Has all the weight and heft you'd want there to be.

I assume the PS5 version will feel identical.

Last edited:

FUBARx89

I can't attest for the PS5 version, but the combat on the PC version while using a dualsense is really satisfying. Has all the weight and heft you'd want there to be.

I assume the PS5 version will feel identical.

So it's not weak and lacking impact how it looked in the trailers?

How is it in comparison to say RE2/4 remake and the dead space remake?

I'm so tempted. But I never played original SH2 for that long, or any Silent Hill bar 4 cause I was more of a RE guy when younger

Top Bottom