• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill 2 |OT| You promised you'd take me there again someday...

Bojji

this is some serious fucking magic being done

i'm currently running this game 1440p @ 144fps everything on max settings + raytracing

absolutely BEAUTIFUL game and running so well on my comp (Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070ti).

Hmmm:

xAAph5T.jpeg

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
So, I've played this game (so as the rest of the 3 mainline games) probably dozens of times in the past and what they did to this game in terms of visuals (not character models - more on that later) is ansolutery astounding. The fog, the amtmosphere, the level of detail, the world and geometry complexity, the amount of objects on screen + RT. Ah! SH2 never looked better. I do hope though that someone will mod original OST and SFX to the game so that we could listen to original sounds, music and such, maybe even original VA.

But the characters models and animations, good lord, they're very bad. Like, I don't have a problem with the new faces tbh, but everything else is just no match to the quality of visuals and artistic work that devs put into the game. Walking animations are ugly as sin, the head moves to sides, detatched from the rest of the body as well as the arms which are dead.... UGH. I hate it so much! And I haven't even seen the combat yet (got to the second save point and decided to write the first impressions). Facial animations are also not great to say the least and are from a super budget game at best.

Performance is not so great, the game suffers from traversal stutters just like most of the UE games so there's no surprise here. I'll just wait for a few patches and play it later, maybe they'll at least fix performance.

Last edited:

GHG

So it's not weak and lacking impact how it looked in the trailers?

Based on my early game experience, no, not at all.

How is it in comparison to say RE2/4 remake and the dead space remake?

I'm so tempted. But I never played original SH2 for that long, or any Silent Hill bar 4 cause I was more of a RE guy when younger

Can't say how it compares to those games because I played those with keyboard and mouse, whereas I've opted to play this one with a controller as recommended.

I've always felt the RE/dead space games play far better with a keyboard and mouse since they are predominantly shooters as far as the combat goes.

keefged4

Does anyone play with 30fps lock to keep the RT on?
My first playthrough is this. I have a 4070 and can just barely hit 60fps with DLSS performance & RT, but everything maxed out at 4k DLSS quality with RT + 30fps lock is magic. Looks sharp af, plus the traversal stutters are hardly noticable. Second playthrough will be with RT off and unlocked fps, although I feel the RT is pretty transformative in this

Gordon Freeman

Gold Member
Still so disappointed I couldn’t play this last night at launch. Cdkeys sucks. Never use them for preorders.

I stayed up until past 3:30am with no key. Luckily I woke up with it but damn.

So far I’m maxed settings. RT on. DLSS quality at 1080p. Hitting 70-100fps on a 4070 super. I7. And 32GB of ram.

Fellows, is this game worth $70? I have only played about an hour of the original via emulation on PS2. It was right around the time this remake got announced, so I shelved it.

I've heard it's short. Not much replayability? Believe it or not, I've enjoyed other Bloober games. RE4 Remake, Dead Spaces, and less-so Alan Wake 2 are some of my favorite games.

I think my main hesitation is that price point. I rarely buy games full price. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Well bud I don't know what to tell you or anyone else in here? I get motion sickness and headaches when I play games in 30fps so you think I'd notice if my rig runs the game at 30???

ANYWAY there might be something in the settings that's making it obvious why I'm running the game so well...? Excuse the Webm below, when I tried recording through Shadowplay, it didn't record the framerate.

BxmaKGD.jpeg

EDIT: OH, my current monitor is capped at 120 so it was 120 and not 144fps... my bad. BUT STILL, it's nowhere CLOSE to 30fps like the graph above is showing.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Fellows, is this game worth $70? I have only played about an hour of the original via emulation on PS2. It was right around the time this remake got announced, so I shelved it.

I've heard it's short. Not much replayability? Believe it or not, I've enjoyed other Bloober games. RE4 Remake, Dead Spaces, and less-so Alan Wake 2 are some of my favorite games.

I think my main hesitation is that price point. I rarely buy games full price. Thoughts?
This is the third new game I’ve bought this year. The others being Dragon’s Dogma 2 and EDF6. This experience is absolutely worth $70 if you are a fan of Silent Hill or survival horror.

I’m not big on GOTY talk but if I had to pick one this may be it. It’s good dude. Like really good.

This is the third new game I’ve bought this year. The others being Dragon’s Dogma 2 and EDF6. This experience is absolutely worth $70 if you are a fan of Silent Hill or survival horror.

I’m not big on GOTY talk but if I had to pick one this may be it. It’s good dude. Like really good.
Thanks, man. I just bought the early access edition on Steam and am downloading it now. I figure if I get buyer's remorse in the first hour or so, I can refund it.

Still so disappointed I couldn’t play this last night at launch. Cdkeys sucks. Never use them for preorders.

I stayed up until past 3:30am with no key. Luckily I woke up with it but damn.

So far I’m maxed settings. RT on. DLSS quality at 1080p. Hitting 70-100fps on a 4070 super. I7. And 32GB of ram.
Wait the game is out already on PC?? I thought the release was on Tuesday?

Also how is the games performance on PC?

Thaedolus

Wait the game is out already on PC?? I thought the release was on Tuesday?

Also how is the games performance on PC?
My rig:
RTX4080
32B main RAM
Installed on an nvme

Running maxxed at 4K with DLSS balanced mode it rarely drops below 70FPS with occasionally experience what I believe is traversal stutter. Overall it’s pretty great. I just realized I probably have out of date drivers too

Fabieter

Got my copy at Friday. Iam half way through. This is a awesome game. Hopefully they can make a new game ih the series. I also like the other games but sh2 is by far the best so its not needed imo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This games audio is absolutely next level.

If this isn’t winning best soundtrack and audio design from every publication then they are full blown retards.

The amount of dread hanging in the air is nuts.

I am on a 3080 and dlss balanced on 1440p max everything and ray tracing getting 60 fps. Occasional dips especially now in the apartments but I’ll live because the game looks soooo good.

Easily my GOTY so far without a doubt.

Thaedolus

It is something with my dual sense/rig or does every menu change cause vibrations for everyone? I’ve got it plugged in to USB3 port

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I cant believe Bloober had that blood border on by default when you get damaged. Holy shit turn that off asap!
Too hard for my dumb ass in middle of combat to register how hurt James is without it though.

Would be nice if just the cross symbol would show up in the lower right so you know you’re in critical but without all the red border.

Red border on for me since there’s no middle ground.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This games audio is absolutely next level.

If this isn’t winning best soundtrack and audio design from every publication then they are full blown retards.

The amount of dread hanging in the air is nuts.

I am on a 3080 and dlss balanced on 1440p max everything and ray tracing getting 60 fps. Occasional dips especially now in the apartments but I’ll live because the game looks soooo good.

Easily my GOTY so far without a doubt.
Yeah I was impressed while running up the street in town and the wind started to gust up.

Ha I didn’t get the trophy for trying to leave town. Anyone else just go with your instinct? I bets it’s from playing the original. It just feels natural to explore everything except the road leaving town.

DavidGzz

Gold Member

Easily. It's 18-20 hours I heard. Idk, $70 isn't too much when I consider how little that goes towards food or groceries these days. It some great entertainment and you'll love it going by this post.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

This is a must play if you enjoy horror and own a rig or console that can run it.

Last edited:
My rig:
RTX4080
32B main RAM
Installed on an nvme

Running maxxed at 4K with DLSS balanced mode it rarely drops below 70FPS with occasionally experience what I believe is traversal stutter. Overall it’s pretty great. I just realized I probably have out of date drivers too
Nice, can’t wait to jump in. If I can get a solid 60 fps on native 4K with max I’m good. I don’t like using DLSS or any upscale tech unless I have to in order to get a solid 60 fps.

Easily. It's 18-20 hours I heard. Idk, $70 isn't too much when I consider how little that goes towards food or groceries these days. It some great entertainment and you'll love it going by this post.
Nice! I had heard it was like six hours.
This is a must play if you enjoy horror and own a rig or console that can run it.
I do and I do.

Thanks, fellas.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
OK, after 6 hours (I'm in hospital now) this is the best surprise of the year. The remake is bloody terrific, and this is coming from a Bloober hater.

Atmosphere, art, tech, sound (!!!!), music, the feel... Everything is top-notch. Combat is also surprisingly meaty and responsive.

I can't put it down, it's just soooooo good. (sorry for the yellow outline, it's OBS)

UPVXkNJ.jpeg
eLvHK4K.jpeg
5gTeEh5.jpeg
JSBdj5E.jpeg
8Pttdbf.jpeg

GHG

Ah, you WERE being a pedant trying to score a point that wasn’t there. Deliberately hard work.

Okay then, I will elaborate. I was shown this game series way back on the PS1 by my cousin, but noped out because it was a bit creepy for me.

Keep policing the comments though.

Like I said, cool story.

Happy Ryan Gosling GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

Top Bottom